Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

A Mad, Supreme, Fanatical Supporters Group who will do nothing but sing at games

Read 4209 times
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      A Mad, Supreme, Fanatical Supporters Group who will do nothing but sing at games
      Jan 11, 2012 07:04:44 pm
      Everyone knows that the atmosphere at Anfield could be better. We all know that the days of the atmosphere from the 60's, 70's and 80's on a regular basis are a distant memory, not just at Anfield but at grounds all over the country, especially the bigger ones. The fact that away fans at Anfield are outsinging the home support is becoming more and more talked about now than ever before, especially on this forum and it's there to see when there's a league game on at Anfield on TV. Quite frankly from a club that's known for it's famous atmosphere at home, it annoys me when I hear people talk about it and it annoys plenty others, purely because it's true when we're not playing the 'big games' at Anfield.

It's not just Anfield that suffers this problem. The Emirates' atmosphere is far from what it was at Highbury. Stamford Bridge's atmosphere really is laughable, and Old Trafford? Forget it. Clearly this shows that it's something from modern football that's killing the atmosphere, whether it be all seater stadiums, ticket organising that seperates big groups of mates who would sing their hearts out or the 'day-tripper' supporter who would rather take 100 photos of the match than think about singing a song. Whatever you want to put it down to, the fact is that there's a problem there and it has to be fixed.

Now before I get shouted at for starting a new topic on the same matter as 'The huge Anfield problem', I'm starting this thread because I feel it deserves it's own topic for discussion and to see what people think. How about a group of people who are committed to bringing back the atmosphere at Anfield get together and make a stand at Anfield? A group of people who are willing to get together and sing for 90 minutes. Let's be serious. Despite the prices of tickets nowadays driving out the fans who would normally sing along, there's plenty fans who are up for singing at the games and contributing to the atmosphere. What I'm suggesting is that the fans of Liverpool start their own singing section/group, an 'Ultra' group if you will. I AM NOT SUGGESTING A GROUP OF HOOLIGANS WHO WILL THROW FLARES ABOUT AND FIGHT EACH OTHER WITH RIPPED OUT CHAIRS. I am suggesting that the fans start a group that will bring back the famous atmosphere to Anfield. Hate them or love them, they're the only groups who are bringing back the atmosphere at their home games. All it takes is a group of fans to form, someone to stand with them and dictate what song is going to be sung and the rest sing along.

Usually these groups are known around Europe and not much in the UK, but I've seen two who stand out in Britain. Crystal Palace's group are a good group who constantly sing throughout their games and get the rest of the crowd going. I watched the Crystal Palace v Cardiff game the other night and the atmosphere was great, purely from the songs these guys were starting. Celtic's Green Brigade, political views aside, are a great group. They sing constantly, make big banners for the games and again get the rest of the crowd going. The thing about these groups is that they start off small, mark their territory in one part of the ground and after a few years fans will know that the certain part of the ground is where the singing section is and that if you're going to stand there then be prepared to sing.

If you agree with me, great! If you want to shoot me down, fine. Each to their own opinion which everyone is quite rightfully allowed to have, but if you ask me football fans are having the p*ss ripped out of them. Overpriced tickets, overpriced food and a structure from the associations that mean the atmosphere at football grounds is dying. C'mon now. We are Liverpool. We're known for our famous atmosphere at games. Again if you ask me, we can sit here, complain about the atmosphere like the other big team's fans and laugh at each other, or we can stand up and move away from that and become the vocal force that we once were.

Some sort of group or campaign is needed. Let's do it. Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012 07:44:52 pm by MsGerrard »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: A Mad, Supreme, Fanatical Supporters Group who will nothing but sing at games
      Reply #1: Jan 11, 2012 07:24:42 pm
      RTK was set up and that failed.

It all comes down to the mood and the result unfortunately. Unless we're thumping teams or the game is played in a fierce manner, the Kop is loud as a dinner party after someone farts.

Great idea, too many externalities.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Re: A Mad, Supreme, Fanatical Supporters Group who will nothing but sing at games
      Reply #2: Jan 11, 2012 07:26:54 pm
      I watched that game last night and you are right the atmosphere  created by the palace fans was something else, but they were all standing and bouncing around and that is the crux of the problem , try doing that at anfield and you will be out on your ear ,unless your in the back of the kop ,we had a hell of a barney with a steward at the last manc game for doing exactly that bouncing and singing ,threatened to throw us out for standing and singing, when we told him to sort the mancs out first ,his reply was cant do much about them.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: A Mad, Supreme, Fanatical Supporters Group who will do nothing but sing at games
      Reply #3: Jan 11, 2012 11:04:46 pm
      Sell tickets at the turnstiles Fridays and the morning of the games. That way more gangs of mates can get seated together . With your mates ye wont think twice about singing you just will, surrounded by strangers who dont sing makes it harder.

And for anyone who doesnt live in the city well fly in on the Friday and que Saturday morning for a ticket
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: A Mad, Supreme, Fanatical Supporters Group who will do nothing but sing at games
      Reply #4: Jan 12, 2012 08:08:32 am
      It's called the travelling Kop.
      Sit them all together at a home game and we'd be sorted.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 12, 2012 01:00:06 pm
      It's called the travelling Kop.
      Sit them all together at a home game and we'd be sorted.

Most don't go to home games though!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: Jan 12, 2012 01:07:58 pm
      That atmosphere last night gave me goosebumps . The whole Theatrical thing,shut down the lights ,stick a bloody big moon on the screen and all you could hear was the travelling Kop , F***ing proud to be a Red!
          Well done to everyone who travelled last night you should be proud of yourselves listening to it on tv ,it was as if we were at Anfield .
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #7: Jan 12, 2012 01:14:18 pm
      If the chairman, manager and players are doing their part, the supporters should definitely be doing theirs.

A loud, fanatical fanbase at Anfield could easily IMHO translate to an extra ten points per season.

We need more posts like the OPs with ideas to increase singing and support at the ground.

How about handing out leaflets with the most popular songs on them?
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #8: Jan 12, 2012 01:22:57 pm
      Think its a great idea if you can get the people on board
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #9: Jan 12, 2012 02:48:35 pm
      If the chairman, manager and players are doing their part, the supporters should definitely be doing theirs.

A loud, fanatical fanbase at Anfield could easily IMHO translate to an extra ten points per season.

We need more posts like the OPs with ideas to increase singing and support at the ground.

How about handing out leaflets with the most popular songs on them?

That would at least get those who don't go all too often involved in some of the songs and chants. I'm sure most of them won't know anything but YNWA (and even then...) before going to Anfield.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #10: Jan 15, 2012 09:26:12 am
      Sell tickets at the turnstiles Fridays and the morning of the games. That way more gangs of mates can get seated together . With your mates ye wont think twice about singing you just will, surrounded by strangers who dont sing makes it harder.

And for anyone who doesnt live in the city well fly in on the Friday and que Saturday morning for a ticket

Or just sell the central blocks in the Kop and a area in the Annie Road as general admission tickets (season ticket holders seats aside) and if you get one of these tickets you must be your seat by 30mins before the kick off.

That way, groups of lads who go to the game together have a better chance of sitting next to each other. Ok, you lose 20 extra minutes in the ale house but the Kop always used to be full way before kick off especially for the big games.

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2012 09:39:39 am by kelvo »
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #11: Jan 15, 2012 08:19:49 pm
      Our away fans are great they are louder than the home fans when we go there. ATM if we could just fix the kop we would sound huge again. Just make it general admission. Once that is finished you can look at other parts of the ground.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #12: Jan 15, 2012 09:08:10 pm
      The thing is, our away fans are our home fans too, when we play away these fans are grouped together in a small area, at Anfield they're very much spread out.

I was right at the back of the Kop yesterday in 305, almost everyone around me spent the whole game singing, it was great, I actually said to RedKenny, if you stood here all the time you'd never know there was a problem with the Anfield atmosphere  :roll:

But it needs to spread all around the ground, get Anfield rocking again.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #13: Jan 16, 2012 12:53:55 pm
      The thing is, our away fans are our home fans too, when we play away these fans are grouped together in a small area, at Anfield they're very much spread out.

I was right at the back of the Kop yesterday in 305, almost everyone around me spent the whole game singing, it was great, I actually said to RedKenny, if you stood here all the time you'd never know there was a problem with the Anfield atmosphere  :roll:

But it needs to spread all around the ground, get Anfield rocking again.

Same, I was in 306.

The rest of the ground need to pull their fingers out because you can't fault the Kop at all.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #14: Jan 16, 2012 01:01:01 pm
      The rest of the ground need to pull their fingers out because you can't fault the Kop at all.

It's no better down the front blocks mate.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #15: Jan 16, 2012 01:18:09 pm
      True, I should have specified the back of the Kop.

Quick Reply