Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Reality Check

Read 8905 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,724 posts | 567 
      Re: Reality Check
      Reply #23: Jan 15, 2012 02:33:21 pm

Agreed, it takes 24 hours to calm down, but I cannot disagree with that. Also to add to the list

I think we have the best defence in the prem.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4978 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #24: Jan 15, 2012 03:05:07 pm
      Reality check.
      1 game away from the first Wembley final and first final for 5 years.
      Still in the FA Cup with a home tie.
      Still in with a good shout of top four just after halfway through the season.
      The only worry/dissapointment is our home form which is a puzzle at times.
      The reality check is go back and look where we were last Jan.
      Bang on Walton, and i will add that we are in transition still, building a side that will challenge on all fronts in the coming seasons and beyond, when you consider we are still in the title race, and two cup competitions,with a squad of players not quite as prolific as those ahead of us, i say we are doing pretty well, ok results have gone more against us than for especially against your mid-table sides, Stoke, Fulham, Norwich,etc, and can beat,better and compete against the top 4-5, were sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, hitting the post 18 times i believe has prevented us from at least 2-3 places up the ladder, not having our captain fantastic for half the season has been very difficult and now we have to contend with losing Suarez for a near quarter of a season, we lost Lucas to who protected our back 4 so admirably,

we are doing ok, very frustrating at times i agree but we are up there and still in the mix, some people need give themselves a reality check and look at the bigger picture, Kenny's first full season and yet ppl's patience is running out,FF's give me a break.

IKWT    YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #25: Jan 15, 2012 03:07:53 pm
      Bang on Walton, and i will add that we are in transition still, building a side that will challenge on all fronts in the coming seasons and beyond, when you consider we are still in the title race, and two cup competitions,with a squad of players not quite as prolific as those ahead of us, i say we are doing pretty well, ok results have gone more against us than for especially against your mid-table sides, Stoke, Fulham, Norwich,etc, and can beat,better and compete against the top 4-5, were sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, hitting the post 18 times i believe has prevented us from at least 2-3 places up the ladder, not having our captain fantastic for half the season has been very difficult and now we have to contend with losing Suarez for a near quarter of a season, we lost Lucas to who protected our back 4 so admirably,

we are doing ok, very frustrating at times i agree but we are up there and still in the mix, some people need give themselves a reality check and look at the bigger picture, Kenny's first full season and yet ppl's patience is running out,FF's give me a break.

IKWT    YNWA

Nice one both - perspective is a bi*ch for some to get their heads round
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #26: Jan 15, 2012 03:24:54 pm

Everyone knows that we don't have a TOP4 squad THIS year.

Who are everyone ?
      Kenny Dalglish say so ?
      John Henry say so ?

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #27: Jan 15, 2012 03:33:18 pm
      Reality Check ?

I'll give you a Reality Check.

As also posted in Kenny's thread.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16563457.stm
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #28: Jan 15, 2012 03:52:20 pm
      I watched that interview Euro , and the face rubbing antics before it , and that is exactly what i thought ,sent shivers through me to think any one could have thought him suitable for our club , the mans a fcking joke ,same kind of sh*t in that interview as we were subjected to last year.
      Always aways
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #29: Jan 15, 2012 05:52:45 pm
         Reality check is exactly what is needed!The pile of sh*t that was posted on the Stoke match thread after the final whistle was completely out of order!Do people not realize,tho we have drawn all these home games,that we have been the team in control,piling on pressure and hitting the woodwork?The home fans watching visiting keepers save shots that at any other time would have been in the back of the net?To begin blaming players and say they're useless etc IS the knee jerk reaction.FFS,people complaining that we started with '5 defenders'....yes,but how much time did Glen or Jose once he came on,play at their right and left back positions?I admit,would have rather have had Henderson do more attacking than Johnson but Glen probably spent more time in their half than ours.
          Up until last January,yes,it was a different Liverpool Football Club.We brought in Suarez,who likes to run at people.A player like this will ALWAYS help a team-once he skins a defender or two,whenever this player gets the ball or even gets it in his direction,these defenders WANT HIM!Mind set says "He fooking made ME look stupid,I WILL dispossess him,WILL foul him,WILL break him....I don't care.Let me at him!"Of course,if more than one is in this frame of mind,then more around Luis for example,more open attackers.OK,think young Raheem Sterling.He loves this style of play.Give him a chance.Tell KK to let Stevie give him constant talks as a captain.Too much holding of the ball-Stevie curses you."Stop trying too hard!"He is a good one to develop on the pitch.Don't sell or lend him,use him.
          Off the ball movement!More of it.Teams know now,at Anfield,to pack their own half and LFC cant break in.Coincidentley,exactley what we did at citeh last weeek,btw,but this after we scored.At Anfield,they pack the defense as soon as  opening 'tweet' sounds.When we get in the opposition half(and at Anfield we camp there!)too often when we cant pull them apart,ultimatley the ball ends back to f***ing Pepe!Keep moving Redmen!Sorry to use another team as a comparison,but Barca just move and move and move.All off the ball.When we have Stevie,Suarez,Carroll(yes,he is still going to be massive-start elbowing those f***ing arms when they grab your shirt or hold onto you;that hurts,they'll stop!)on the pitch,with Adam now feeling good about doing those 40 yd pinpoint passes(saw at least 3 vs Stoke that reminded me of A-L-O-N-S-O:brilliant!)draws will become 3 points.Keep movin Carroll.
          Lastly,Bellers(once every 10 days KK;he tried yesterday but those old knees couldn't do it!)Suarez,Sterling,Maxi Stevie...SOMEONE!...be up front with Carroll.One man up top doesn't cut it!Especially at Anfield.Even citehs,manure,chelski leave 4 at the back at our ground at all time.To get the ball in possession and feed it to 1 loan man is useless-even if you are Enrique!Notice how when he gets the ball,the corner flag is where he goes!Do not pass go;do not collect $200.My job is to sprint dribble and cross..let's go!
           Sooo,any panic after Saturdays result?Disappointment,yeah.Sure wanted those 3 points.But,knew it would be tough.After all the game was at Anfield...opposition going to pack their half;they know they must!

ps.Heard a Turkish club wanted Kuyt for 8mill?I love you Dirk,you've always done your best for this wonderful club(a f***ing hattrick against the scum even!)but 8 mill?I'd break that managers arm I'd be shaking it so hard.Sorry son,footy has become a business.If you'd been here your whole career,different story.bye-bye.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #30: Jan 15, 2012 06:12:58 pm
      Just out of interest how many people saying this now said we would finish first or second

Is that a rhetorical question mate? Or even a question?

It's a fair enough question mate (if it is a question) and has whet my curiosity. I'm going to check the 15 posts above yours and cross-reference them in the 'where do you think we'll finish?' & 'expectations' threads for folk who 'said' we would finish 1st or 2nd. I'll get back asap. Wait out...

Edit: I just want to be clear: When you 'write' "saying this" do you mean saying that 'we should realise that we don't have a top four squad and that is the reality'.... as in the O.P.?

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2012 06:36:38 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #31: Jan 15, 2012 06:19:33 pm
      Everyone knows that we don't have a TOP4 squad THIS year.

Not everyone Stifler. In my opinion we have.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: reality check
      Reply #32: Jan 15, 2012 07:33:10 pm
      Quote from crouchinho
      It is. Because from the get go yesterday, not even 20 minutes in to the match thread and people were cyber-booing. It was pathetic to read.

If people want to cloud their own judgement that we should be in the top 4 because it's our divine right, then fine. But the truth is, we are behind quite a few teams who are years ahead of us in terms of a developed and settled squad. The fact we're hanging on this close is a testament to every player and coach on our books right now.

That is what happens in threads during games. It would have been repeated on the other forums.

We may be behind some teams, but they're the teams we're beating. We're certainly far better than the teams we're drawing at home against. Unlike against the top sides, everything we need to beat them is in our favour. Bluntly, who the hell are Swansea? Who the hell are Norwich? In the EPL 5 minutes, that's who they are. CL football for them is no more than a pipe dream, they're not exactly flush with cash either, but they're still getting results at Anfield. Stoke have lost almost away game they've played this season, they still came here and got a point. That shouldn't be happening, even without Gerrard or Suarez.

The idea put forward last summer was that having no European football would help the campaign. I said it would make no difference* and it has made no difference. We were 6th then, and we're 6th now.

*just one less trophy to play for.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #33: Jan 15, 2012 07:36:33 pm
      That is what happens in threads during games. It would have been repeated on the other forums.

We may be behind some teams, but they're the teams we're beating. We're certainly far better than the teams we're drawing at home against. Unlike against the top sides, everything we need to beat them is in our favour. Bluntly, who the hell are Swansea? Who the hell are Norwich? In the EPL 5 minutes, that's who they are. CL football for them is no more than a pipe dream, they're not exactly flush with cash either, but they're still getting results at Anfield. Stoke have lost almost away game they've played this season, they still came here and got a point. That shouldn't be happening, even without Gerrard or Suarez.

The idea put forward last summer was that having no European football would help the campaign. I said it would make no difference* and it has made no difference. We were 6th then, and we're 6th now.

Stoke have actually lost less than half their away games & have as many wins at home, as away, but don't let the truth stop your rant.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #34: Jan 15, 2012 08:35:37 pm
      Always thought 4th would be the goal and we still have a chance.  I also thought this would be a season to build up a way of playing and gelling half a new team in.

Results can look easy on paper - look at Swansea beating the gooners today.  So Stoke have lost a lot of away games - so obviously a lot of preparation for when they come to us to put it right. 
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #35: Jan 15, 2012 08:46:54 pm
      When we win, and some people try to discuss the negatives of the performance, and not just the positives, what we read here is: "why can't some negative bas**rds just enjoy the win for fucks sake?". So then when we don't win, and we also try to discuss the negatives of the performance, they say "why do you only say that when we don't win?".

Oh my... how f***in boring is that debate... grow up, ignore the WUMs, but let's debate things with honesty. I seriously wonder about the maturity of some people who are capable of going all day in silly debates with others clearly trying to wind them up. Some posters simply aren't worth any attention, you're (nearly) all grown up men, just ignore them...
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #36: Jan 15, 2012 09:37:19 pm
      I would like someone to tell me what exactly Citeh have accomplished with the 100's of millions spent and what 3 years? An FA cup and a charity shield? Excellence does not happen overnight. We were a fortnight away from having points taken and being thrown in the garbage heap. Kenny is not perfect (nobody is) but those expecting to shoot to the top overnight and have the world's best crawling at our doorstep to play for us are honestly living in fantasy land.

With few exception the owners, management team and manager are having to rebuild this club stone by stone. After seeing how we looked 1st half last season how people don't think we are improved is beyond me.  All of us would like to win everything and to have the biggest and brightest at our club, but this type the type of atmosphere and mentality needed to get them is going to take time like it or not.

I thought we treated Stoke to much respect yesterday, I could list things that I would have done differently. At the end of the day we had the quality to win but once again lacked the resolve. We are building something right now and in time all will be right again; until then supporters need to get a grip and stop kneejerking like a bunch of old women.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Jan 15, 2012 11:18:01 pm
      We drew with Stoke! Big deal! We are solid defensively. The next step is getting the goals. No Suarez, lost Lucas who was ever present got new people in. What do we expect we still have 17 games I think. We will be fine heading into next season. The top 4 is going to be a struggle for more than just this year and for more than just us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #38: Jan 15, 2012 11:34:56 pm

You think the 6th of a season ago and 6th of the here and now is the same? The past 12 months have proven to you nothing?

Bit sad.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #39: Jan 16, 2012 01:35:36 am
      I thought I remember John Henry saying they had a 3 year plan to get LFC back to where it belongs.  It's only been 1 year now and it's a massive improvement!  Walk ON!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #40: Jan 16, 2012 04:29:09 am
      The top 6 is stronger than ever. In times gone by we would have pissed 4th easily, in fact we'd be battling with Arsenal for 3rd. City and Spuds have spent the money consistently over a period of time and it has paid off for them. They have got themselves one of our spots.

I believe we have the 5th best squad of players in the league, to get to 4th we would need to finish above Arsenal (who I believe we have a better squad than) and Chelsea (who I believe we have a slightly inferior squad than) because as it stands I can't see us finishing above City, Scum or Spurs. Certainly not this season anyway.

Just to win a trophy this season would be a nice feeling, it has been far to long.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #41: Jan 16, 2012 07:09:26 am
      Always believe till it is mathematically impossible to finish in the top 4.That I believe is(or was) the Liverpool way and it is the only way for me.I may be old and stupid but I have seen us in a position of not having a cat in hells chance of winning the old first division,then along came Easter when we played 3 games and what do you know we were on top of the world.
                                                                        If you asked the bottom six clubs for a reality check I am sure they would love to be in our position.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #42: Jan 16, 2012 02:38:31 pm
      we have to realise that the lesser sides are up to it now, no more blowovers are they, the swans stuck 3 passed the arse yesterday, we"re not alone , we"re not winning at home but we"re not losing either, we have the best defence our finishing is all we need to improve ,the deliveries are there and how many times has the woodwork denied us? alot i can remember.we have to have more faith it"s as simple as that, are we to call for Kenny"s head why can"t we be patient ? It"s because we"re paying too much attention to the slagging off that we haven"t won the league in 22 yrs from the tabloids and manc supporters, forget them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #43: Jan 16, 2012 06:16:51 pm
      Quote from bigears
      we have to realise that the lesser sides are up to it now, no more blowovers are they, the swans stuck 3 passed the arse yesterday, we"re not alone , we"re not winning at home but we"re not losing either are we to call for Kenny"s head why can"t we be patient ?

Arsenal beat Swansea at home earlier in the season. We didn't. We're not losing at home, but you expect not to lose at home to the teams we've been playing, if you want to do anything in the league.

You can't call for Kenny's head, as he cannot be fired, and he's here until he decides otherwise. We are patient, (we haven't won a trophy for 6 years after all) but there comes a time when patience isn't enough on it's own. We have to deliver too.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #44: Jan 16, 2012 10:26:39 pm
      I thought I remember John Henry saying they had a 3 year plan to get LFC back to where it belongs.  It's only been 1 year now and it's a massive improvement!  Walk ON!

I recall him saying 5 years??

Sometimes the lack of respect and patience is shocking - especially after a draw or heaven forbid - a loss.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #45: Jan 17, 2012 08:34:51 am
      but there comes a time when patience isn't enough on it's own. We have to deliver too.

I suppose it's more than obvious that patience isn't enough on it's own latw so: what do you reckon 'we' need to do to deliver (in the short-term)?

Quick Reply