Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool 0-0 Stoke City: In-Game & Post Match Uninspiration

Read 57721 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke City: In-Game & Post Match Uninspiration
      Reply #782: Jan 14, 2012 11:46:25 pm
      Agreed, and KK may well get it right too. But those same sensible folk also realise that the exact same dogma was rolled out in Souness', Evans', Houllier's, and Rafa's tenure.

Just saying like.

Souness through all his faults won the FA Cup.

Roy won the League Cup and had us playing some fantastic football and unlucky not to take us further.

Ged won the UEFA Cup, League Cup and FA Cup.

Rafa won the FA Cup and the European Cup while also getting us within touching distance of title.

Not too bad a return but I know as well as anybody what is missing and moaning everytime a result goes against us isn't going to change that.

It's  tough league to win but I wouldn't want anyone else in charge trying to get us there that Kenny so I'm not going to over react just yet especially after a game we normally struggle in.
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2012 12:05:59 am by srslfc »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #783: Jan 14, 2012 11:47:08 pm
      Agreed, and KK may well get it right too. But those same sensible folk also reaise that the exact same dogma was rolled out in Souness', Evans', Houllier's, and Rafa's tenure.

Just saying like.
      There is the flip side to that mate, if were not going to give a manager time to build, we'll be chopping and changing every year which is more harmful in my opinion.
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #784: Jan 14, 2012 11:49:33 pm
      There is the flip side to that mate, if were not going to give a manager time to build, we'll be chopping and changing every year which is more harmful in my opinion.

Best Example?

Chelsea.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #785: Jan 14, 2012 11:55:53 pm
      MOTM poll?

I'm voting Enrique.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #786: Jan 14, 2012 11:58:43 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #787: Jan 15, 2012 12:02:48 am
      What the F**k is wrong with that F***ing referee? Two footed challenges and cast iron penalty calls blissfully ignored.
      This really does want sorting out, the technology is available now to despatch the human error from situations that should not be affected by such blatant lack of judgement.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #788: Jan 15, 2012 01:41:14 am
      Just watched the game. The result sounds more depressing because we had already drawn way too many games at home already. Played 11 games at home and drawn 7.

In reality, this was one drawn game that actually didn't make me feel that bad. We never stopped piling the pressure, we did everything possible. Stokes defended with a minimum of 8 players at any time. Their game plan was to come and pack the bus and catch us on a counter. Their formation was either  8-1-1 or 9-0-1

Like I said, we had drawn way too many games before this game, which makes this result worse than it really is.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #789: Jan 15, 2012 02:17:02 am
      No mate ain't being funny. Dont like target men never f**king have being obsessed with football since i was a child. My old man used top bring me into the pub when i was a child as a party trick and ask me questions about world cups back to 1930 and i was always right. When i played i was one of these lads that was excellent as a kid. Celtic Leeds coventy and notts forest all approached my father as a kid. Went on trial with burnley at 16played against utd stayed there a month. Played 3 years for semi prolevel and played in a uefa championship where mark atkinson gave me good protection. Here that is my history but sure what the f**k do i know.
      corballyred,you have told us what you have done as a player,but what are your credentials as a coach or manager,I do not know what you do for a living but if you are as good as you reckon you are why are you not managing one of the top teams.Now I get as disappointed as hell when we fail to win as happened with Stoke but my loyalty to L.F.C. never wavers as I will support the REDS in bad times as well as the good times.I feel much better now after reading so many adverse comments.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #790: Jan 15, 2012 02:40:24 am
      Quote from Paisleydalglish
      if you knew anything about football you would know its not built over night

Maybe not, but people travel to the game overnight.

Quote from bad boy bubby
      I'm guessing you haven't read the post properly mate. If you had you'd realise that the post ain't about the whining but about the fact that the people who love to get the boot in are not as just as noisy or prolific in their posts when we win.

I read your post fully.

You're complaining about others complaining, whining, or whatever word you want to use. As for the "whining", what do you expect? We drew 0-0 at home to Stoke and played terrible, it's not exactly a result or a performance that's going to get universal acclaim. As regards posters not coming on when we win, that's just how the world works unfortunately, and it's certainly not exclusive to LFC or English football in general. Like with everything else in life, when things go as they should, people are happy and there's less to comment on. When they don't, people are angry and all hell breaks loose. It will happen again and again, and there's no point whining about it.

Quote from srslfc
      As most of us sensible folk know football isn't as simple as that and Kenny is trying to build a squad and results like todays while not good enough and disappointing will happen and we have to learn from it and move on.

The sheer over reaction one way or the other on here at times is really getting tiresome.

We have to learn from it alright, but are we? Today was the 7th home draw in 11 games, most of them against the likes of Stoke. What are we learning?

The next sh*t team due at Anfield is Wigan. Well if we play well enough, they might get the result they should get when they're down the bottom of the league. Then again, we didn't play well enough last year, and if we don't this year, you'll see another "over reaction" here.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #791: Jan 15, 2012 07:12:17 am
      I read your post fully...

As for the "whining", what do you expect?

You read it fully? Just didn't understand what was written then? Fair enough. I'll leave this here for others who might:

Frustration and anger at poor results I can accept and understand

If you can't appreciate the point I was making, fair enough; we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #792: Jan 15, 2012 08:45:18 am
      Not quite sure where to begin with that game.

Firstly, I really do not understand the formation we were trying to play.  I have absolutely no problem playing 3/5 at the back - but if you do this you surely don't play 4 in mid and only one up front.  I thought that we had no real shape, and was not even sure what Downing was doing while he was on the pitch (come back to him in a minute).  I really think we needed two up top - particularly at home vs Stoke.  If we are changing our foemation to combat the threat of Stoke at home then I think we have a long way to go.

I really hope that we are looking at signing a striker, because regardless of Luis not being available we desparately need a goalscorer.  I watched carefully when Carroll came on and the delivery into the box was awful and gave him no real chance.  It is not too surprising that when he does get a chance he is struggling to find the net.

Back to Downing - how does he keep his place?  The two full/wing backs were trying to beat a defender more than him, and he is an international winger.  I was quite happy with his first few performances but at the moment I don't think he is offering us anything.  I thought the goal last week would kick start him, but the last two have been amongst his most insipid of the season.

On a slightly more positive note, I am really beginning to warm to Henderson.  He does seem to be sttling in quite well, and I think he will greatly benefit from the return of Stevie.

Without Luis we had no real guile that is needed to break down a team that gets so many behind the ball.  At one point in the first half the commentator said "and now a chance for Liverpool to break.....".  At that point Stoke already had 7 men behind the ball, and we just didn't have the movement or individual capable of causing Stoke too many problems.

But I suppose this is the story of our season (and a few before that) that teams know we struggle to break down a defensive line up and set up accordingly.  I think this whole sequence of failing to beat teams at home started a few seasons ago - incidently against Stoke.  We had a goal disallowed (wrongly as it happens) for offside in the first 5 mins, and it ended 0-0, despite the number of chances we made.  The most disappointing thing is our inconsistency in winning away at City, and then struggling again at home.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #793: Jan 15, 2012 09:46:01 am
      Another rather depressing home result, seem to be able to win away but not at home. Noticed that we where relegated to last spot on Match of the day says it all, I'm afraid.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #794: Jan 15, 2012 09:58:10 am
      Very disappointing draw - not quite as bad as the Swansea game but almost there.

The gaffer got it wrong playing 5 at the back and a lone striker in Kuyt.  Quite what Kuyt was going to do against the massive Stoke defenders is beyond me.

Downing still can't beat a man - Adam and Gerrard didn't do a lot in midfield.

Admittedly there was only one team looking to win the game and on a different day we may have had a pen.  Very disappointing draw.  Can see why Stoke are right up there though - them playing in Europe has honed their defensive techiques.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #795: Jan 15, 2012 10:01:02 am
      How was the atmosphere yesterday JD?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #796: Jan 15, 2012 10:04:53 am

Was at the back of the Kop so couldn't judge the rest of the ground.  Had a feeling it was a poor one though - quality of football wouldn't have helped.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #797: Jan 15, 2012 10:05:05 am
      Personally I found it muted and frustrated.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #798: Jan 15, 2012 11:14:10 am
      Imagine if every team set out to play the same way Stoke did.
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #799: Jan 15, 2012 11:14:52 am
      I thought the players' unwillingness to run forward into space at times yesterday was very frustrating...

Downing still can't beat a man - Adam and Gerrard didn't do a lot in midfield.

Agree with your view on Downing. Thought Charlie played quite a few great balls yesterday though. Gerrard was quite deep for a lot of the game as well, thought he was good when he ran forward.
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #800: Jan 15, 2012 11:24:50 am
      If you think having one shot on target in 90 minutes is not diabolical I worry for your mental state
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #801: Jan 15, 2012 11:48:27 am
      Adam is not good enough. Every ball that goes trough him is a waste of time. He is slow, predictable, and does not think fast enough.

As for Andy, he gets pushed around a lot for a lad his size...

Henderson and Downing are replaceable, meaning the team would function just the same with their respective subs on the team. Not good

Gerrard cant always win the match alone. His passes are so brilliant, but the average players he has aroud rarely understand WHERE THE F**k they should run to

Bellamy, pure effort but his crosses and corners were below par today. Still had more fire in his blood than most of the team

The defense did their job well. Its actually harder to defend when you are rarely attacked than if you are attacked all match. Yes they didnt go forward as efficiently as usual, but if we reached the point where we have to rely on defenders for creation, well, we are fu**ed.. Side note: Coates was very solid, Enrique a beast

Kuyt had a nightmare of a match

We need a playmaker more than a striker, cant you see that?? A young Romario would struggle to score in this team!

Saves me the time, typing ^^^^^^^^^. Sadly but true +1
      Lfcrocks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      • Heya all its an awesome place here
      Reply #802: Jan 15, 2012 11:50:22 am
      Even I watched the match
      the squad selection wasn't that good.
       I see only kuyt in penalty box when crosses are delivered and gerard cannot give passes unless someone makes a Run like Suarez does.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #803: Jan 15, 2012 12:18:02 pm
      More confident of playing City than Stoke

I don't believe it is a confidence thing!  We play well against the big teams as they come to Anfield with the view to win and therefore open the game up.  When teams like Stoke come and play so deep with 9 in Defence we can't break them down.  We have no inventon!

This is not a new thing, we remember the Rafa season when we came second and drew games against Stoke and the likes despite having 20 shots. 

This is the difference between winning the league and not,  as much as it pains me to say it Man Ure will win these games 1 nil, sometimes with a lucky goal.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #804: Jan 15, 2012 12:26:38 pm
      Stoke are forever going to be our nemisis team, and when we play them whilst going through a phase of "great chances, lame outcomes" football it's obvious they will have us figured out.  I know we can't keep playing the Suarez absent excuse all the time, but I think he for one would have made a better meal of the limited service we had yesterday, it's nice to see Kuyt starting a game but I really do question Kenny's team selection for the game, 5 man defence? Kuyt a lone striker? odd considering we know how well Stoke park the bus when they come to Anfield!

I think the clean sheet is about the only positive we can take away from yesterday's game.  :roll:

Quick Reply