Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool 0-0 Stoke City: In-Game & Post Match Uninspiration

Read 57729 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke City: In-Game & Post Match Uninspiration
      Reply #828: Jan 16, 2012 11:19:41 am
      Now that the dust has settled... a few observations:

* In my opinion, far from being 'negative', the team was set up to provide extra width and extra threat from both Enrique and Johnson. There was, at most, only three at the back and not the usual four with the three only really defending set pieces and Skrtel, in particular popping up in an advanced role.

* With the two full-backs under very clear instructions (to my mind) to play wide and high it was only natural that the majority of both Stevie's and Charlie's passes, in particular, were diagonal balls to the wings. Again (in my opinion) this was a tactical decision.

* It did deliver total dominance in midfield. It did deliver another clean sheet and a defence which never looked threatened but... when the end result is a nil-nil draw I guess it fair to suggest that the 'tactic' was wrong.

* Ball after ball were played into the box from the wider positions but apart from Dirk's sitter and (maybe) Skrtel's header very few of those balls actually produced a goal-scoring chance. This was down to, in my opinion, a combination of a very well drilled defence, ordinary or poor delivery and lack of any real presence in the box.

To be honest I'm more disappointed with this showing than any other of our draws this season - down purely to the lack of goal-scoring chances created. It goes without saying and doesn't take a genius to see what we need - the sooner the better.  :-\

Excellent summary mouse and very probably an accurate tactical comment, Kuyt and Carroll were never gonna set the world on fire even if Luis would have been on board scoring opportunities would have been few and far between, had he played the need for support would still arise with the aforementioned Kuyt and Carroll being our only choice and a desperate one at that.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #829: Jan 16, 2012 11:30:27 am
      Quote from althebest1
      Instead of giving our players criticism I prefer to look at the real reasons it was a draw. I give credit to Stoke and to Pulis (who has done a fantastic job there). he has them organised and very hard to break down and you aint gonna get too many clear chances. Some people seem to think they should come and lie down and we should be all over them scoring 5 goals etc...As if they are a Sunday pub team. If a team comes to Anfield and decides to give it a go in an open game then this is when we win, so I can't blame them for coming for the draw as it was a good result for them.

They are a Sunday pub team. Because that's what poor teams with poor players do. They sit in their half all day, and hope to get away with it. That's the challenge we have to overcome every week. That's what our rivals do, and that's what we have to do.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #830: Jan 16, 2012 11:37:46 am
      I think this transfer window has become even more crucial.

With Agger out Kenny had the chance to put in either Carra or Coates in his place. The problem was Carra has been at fault for a number of the goals in the early part of the season before Aggar and Skrtel cemented their partnership and Coates had a disappointing previous game, is inexperienced and cannot yet be picked ahead of Carra. To that end Kenny had to play them both and use the full backs as wing backs as an attcking option.

This would have been fine if we were playing a Stoke 442 but appearently Pulis saw our team sheet and changed his formatin so that Crouch was playing up front on his own tying up our three central defenders. A lack of penetration from Enrique on the left (especially in the second half) meant we were effectively two attacking players down whatever happened in the game. Without any of the midfielders attacking the box with hard running and trying to pull the strings like a bunch of quarterbacks that left Kuyt alone against a minimum of the keep and two massive centrebacks.

We could have played till 2013 with that formation and not scored. On the other hand, Stoke didnt have much of a chance of getting a goal either. This game had 0-0 written all over it before a ball was kicked and, as i said, the main reason is the Pulis changes his formaion when he saw our teamsheet.

Therefore, IMHO, if we were going for the win we should have changed our formation at halftime. If we didnt want to lose the match and were looking to snach a 1-0 then Kenny did the right thing to leave it as it was.

I think a lot of our problems could be solved by pushing Gerrard and Henderson higher up the pitch and getting Skrtel or Coates to carry the ball out much further - either of them are capable - instead of Adam and Gerrard picking it up so deep.

Personally as well I think Downing has to start producing some end product for us. He's in his peak years and should be well adjusted to the premiership. He is taking the safe option too many times.

Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #831: Jan 16, 2012 11:44:50 am
      They are a Sunday pub team. Because that's what poor teams with poor players do. They sit in their half all day, and hope to get away with it. That's the challenge we have to overcome every week. That's what our rivals do, and that's what we have to do.

Er, did you watch our last game against Man City?

Pulis has done a fantastic job. If he had the resources we did you could blame him for having a 'Sunday pub team' mentality but we had a 35 million pound striker on the bench. Our failure to beat them at home is entirely our responsiblity.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #832: Jan 16, 2012 01:04:36 pm
      I think the best home performance we've given since KK returned was the 3-1 v United in March last year.  What impressed me that day was the bewildering movement of our attacking players - they changed position so quickly and easily that United's defenders were dizzy trying to keep up, and you never knew who was going to pop up where.  Brilliant!  Maxi and Meireles were particularly hard to handle.

OK, we no longer have Meireles (different topic), but we still have Maxi.  Every time he's fit, I'd pick him instead of Downing.  And Bellamy should start as many matches as possible.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #833: Jan 16, 2012 02:28:30 pm
      The Pub team description maybe illustrates somebody's lack of knowledge as to the present status of Stoke FC who have improved in leaps and bounds since that description was appropriate.
      They still have the capability of playing ugly to achieve an end but their manager has improved the quality of play and should be given credit for the fact.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #834: Jan 16, 2012 06:27:07 pm
      It's not a lack of knowledge tbh, nor do they have a quality of play. They bring a "if it moves, kick it" quality to the league, and their attacking threat comes mainly from the touchline.

They came to Anfield 3 years ago, kicked and rushed and blocked, "pushed" a few players out of the way, and it got them a point. On Saturday, they kicked and rushed and blocked, "pushed" a few players out of the way, and it got them a point. That's all they do, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. They're an awful side to watch, let alone play against, and will continue to be so while their current coach is still there. But if you want to be successful in this league, you have to find a way past it, or you'll pay the price at the end of the year.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #835: Jan 16, 2012 08:22:34 pm
      What i can't get out of my head is why when at home play one striker against a lesser team and the said striker has not scored a goal in the leauge this season
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #836: Jan 16, 2012 08:23:44 pm
      More points dropped that should be a certain 3! Kuyt just simply isn't good enough playing up front!
      Chasman555
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      • Liverpool Forever YNWA
      Reply #837: Jan 16, 2012 08:25:44 pm
      More points dropped that should be a certain 3! Kuyt just simply isn't good enough playing up front!

Problem is who would you put up instead? Carroll is equally as bad when put up front on him own just can't seem to create his own chances
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #838: Jan 16, 2012 08:28:35 pm
      I'd be tempted to play Bellamy as often as possible now.
      Chasman555
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      • Liverpool Forever YNWA
      Reply #839: Jan 16, 2012 08:33:53 pm
      I'd be tempted to play Bellamy as often as possible now.

Would have to agree and according to ss before the city game he his the most inform player for us with the highest conversion rate, not that it's really too hard to see

Just really hope that he doesnt get injured!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #840: Jan 16, 2012 08:42:25 pm
      what about bringing ~Rushie and ~Barnesy back it seems in vogue at present. Thats what we need right now
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #841: Jan 16, 2012 08:45:07 pm
      Says a lot for our reseve team doesn't it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #842: Jan 16, 2012 08:45:37 pm
      what about bringing ~Rushie and ~Barnesy back it seems in vogue at present. Thats what we need right now
      How old is Fowler?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #843: Jan 16, 2012 08:48:11 pm
      Anyone mentioned John Bishop?
      TheDoc
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts |
      Reply #844: Jan 16, 2012 09:12:46 pm
      When all is said and done it was a strange set up by Kenny. Had us all baffled at the game when announced. I can only assume that Bellamy's knees prevent him from playing too much, because he would have been a nailed on starter for me. Still not sure, given Stoke's height, why Carroll didn't start!! He caused them a lot of problems when he came on. For a home game against Stoke we should have been far more positive, particularly when it was apparent that Crouchy was on his own up front. Still Kenny knows best and he is the only man for the job must keep the faith.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #845: Jan 16, 2012 09:32:34 pm
      ive been watching my beloved LFC since I was a child and ive worshiped and slagged off teams over the years and rightly so.
      I can remember watching appalling displays under Paisley , Dalglish , Souness , Evans , Houllier , Benitez and of course Hodgson but I can also remember being on such a high after witnessing a world class domination of a game with lethal passing and goalscoring but some of the football we are playing at the moment on a regular basis is painful to watch....and ive every right to be pissed about it..The expectations of all Liverpool FC fans has always been high since Shanks raised the bar all them years ago and created the legacy.
      I suppose what it makes it more depressing is the amount of money these players earn week in week out and theres the majority of us struggling to keep a roof over our heads and pay the bills before paying our hard earned cash to go and watch what can only be described as watching paint dry...
      Like I mentioned in another thread we've got Bolton & Wolves up next and there really isn't ANY excuse for not getting 6 points..failure to do that and we can kiss goodbye top 4...
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #846: Jan 17, 2012 01:04:09 am
      At this stage of the season,the excuses have to stop.Signings were made at considerable expense in the summer.We have a good enough squad to compete for a top 4 place,now as always our management should be judgeded,at the end of season placing.Top 4 is a minimum expectation.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #847: Jan 17, 2012 01:25:42 am
      Sadly for me the purchase of Carroll has cost us dearly this season. Without a doubt if we had a striker who scored the prerequisite 1 in 2 we would be comfortably in the top 4 and possibly close to a title challenge. Not that we couldn't do with a few goals from the rest of the team as well.

Every manager makes mistakes with transfers, it's how quickly they rectify those mistakes that separates the men from the boys.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #848: Jan 17, 2012 01:30:20 am
      N'gog would and could have offered us more than carroll if he were still at the cloob.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #849: Jan 17, 2012 01:35:03 am
      N'gog would and could have offered us more than carroll if he were still at the cloob.
      That says so much and is unfortunately true, hard to believe though it is.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #850: Jan 17, 2012 02:16:20 am

There's no middle ground when it comes to valuing our players, they're either world class and would walk into any team's line up in the world or not fit to wear the shirt and a championship level player at best.

edit:

An excellent point which I hope people don't overlook;

Every manager makes mistakes with transfers, it's how quickly they rectify those mistakes that separates the men from the boys.

Back to the game though, it's another harsh reality check, one of which I hope we are learning from.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2012 03:04:38 am by vitez »

Quick Reply