Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Jan Vertonghen (Ajax)

Read 4395 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Jan Vertonghen (Ajax)
      Reply #23: Jan 07, 2012 04:00:49 pm
      I believe he hasn't even played defensive midfielder for Ajax...  so I guess not.

If we do sign him, he'd be 1st choice, not back up imo. Atm, Agger and Skrtel are 1st choice so I don't think we'll sign him.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #24: Jun 01, 2012 08:46:56 pm
      Looks like he'll be joining the Spuds soon.....  Shame as he is a very good defender.  If we got him then I'd feel we are set at CB for years to come between Agger, Skrtel, Coates, and him.  However, I still feel that we are in need of one more class CB to provide cover for Agger as he is very injury prone!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #25: Jun 01, 2012 08:52:54 pm
      There is the possibility that Kelly could be moved inside to centre back soon even though I think he'll be kept at right back and then we have Carra who without doubt is on his last legs but can cover for the odd injury just not long term ones. Here's hoping we don't get any of those after that we have Wisdom who many like me believe will be an absolutely superb centre back so it is a tricky balancing act of not stunting development (Coates, Kelly, Wisdom) with providing enough cover.

In truth I don't see us bringing in another centre back as a creative midfielder, wide players, cover for Lucas and a striker is where we're truly in desperate need.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #26: Jun 01, 2012 09:02:46 pm
      A new CB is not one of my priorities but improving the squad is certainly always possible. What I like the most about Vertonghen is the fact he is extremely good on the ball, which suits our style perfectly (perhaps even more now under B-Rod ;)), and also versatile - can play as left back and defensive midfielder as well -, so he would fill more than just one hole in the squad.
      « Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012 09:38:40 pm by Diego LFC »
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #27: Jun 01, 2012 09:08:22 pm
      Obviously would prefer if he didn't join Spurs but really I'm not too pushed. I rate Agger and Skrtel higher, Coates is showing great improvement and Carragher showed a few times toward the end of the season he can still do a good job when needed. And as far as I know is the plan not to eventually make Kelly a CB. He has the build and skill for it, just needs to hone the craft.

I think this is more of a case of wanting what we can't have.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #28: Jun 01, 2012 09:15:16 pm
      There is the possibility that Kelly could be moved inside to centre back soon even though I think he'll be kept at right back and then we have Carra who without doubt is on his last legs but can cover for the odd injury just not long term ones.

But that's exactly my point.  Agger is injury prone, and anyone who denies the fact is kidding themselves.  If he picks up a knee/back/ankle injury and misses 2-4 months, we are stuck with either Coates or Carra being a regular starter.  I don't think Coates is ready for that yet, and I think Carra is past it and has been for some time.  He has been a liability every time he has featured in the last 12 months. 

I've been banging the "Kelly to CB" drum for a while now too, but I have to think that none of our previous managers have felt he would be a good fit there or we would have seen him play there by now.  I could be wrong though.  Also, I agree that Wisdom does look like he has the makings of a very good CB, but again he is not ready for regular 1st team minutes yet, so I think we do need a new senior CB for right now.  I am of the belief that you build a team around a strong defense, and if our back line can be compromised by an injury to one player then we are in serious trouble!!  We need better quality depth at CB in my opinion....
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #29: Jun 01, 2012 10:30:13 pm
      Obviously would prefer if he didn't join Spurs but really I'm not too pushed. I rate Agger and Skrtel higher, Coates is showing great improvement and Carragher showed a few times toward the end of the season he can still do a good job when needed. And as far as I know is the plan not to eventually make Kelly a CB. He has the build and skill for it, just needs to hone the craft.

I think this is more of a case of wanting what we can't have.

I do rate our defenders, but I've wanted Vertonghen for a good time now. He reminds me of Agger, my favorite defender, but younger.

But having Coates waiting to get into the first team, I feel he is not needed anymore. Just cause I think Coates could be something big.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #30: Jun 01, 2012 10:33:36 pm
      A new CB is not one of my priorities but improving the squad is certainly always possible. What I like the most about Vertonghen is the fact he is extremely good on the ball, which suits our style perfectly (perhaps even more now under B-Rod ;)), and also versatile - can play as left back and defensive midfielder as well -, so he would fill more than just one hole in the squad.

:D You're really sticking with the B-Rod thing
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #31: Jun 02, 2012 10:56:56 pm
      Off to Spuds apparently.

Quick Reply