Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Jermaine Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur)

Read 16060 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Jermaine Defoe
      Reply #23: Jan 16, 2012 03:51:49 pm
      Just read this on bbc sport and it made me laugh uncontrollabbly in the silent section of the library for a good 3 minutes.

"FOOTBALL: Tottenham refuse to speculate on stories linking Jermain Defoe with a £10m move to Liverpool. The club said their policy was not to talk about speculation."

:lmao: Oh the hilarity.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #24: Jan 16, 2012 03:55:27 pm
      The club said their policy was not to talk about speculation."

F**k me! Redknapp keeps around 5 sky sports news reporters in a job!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #25: Jan 16, 2012 03:56:25 pm
      No sell on value in 3 years at 32 so I odnt think it fits in with the new philosophy.better spend £20 mil on a 25 year old and get half back in 3 years or even mor eif he does well.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #26: Jan 16, 2012 03:57:04 pm
      Doubt they would sell to us as we are probably a threat to them.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #27: Jan 16, 2012 03:59:18 pm
      Just read this on bbc sport and it made me laugh uncontrollabbly in the silent section of the library for a good 3 minutes.

"FOOTBALL: Tottenham refuse to speculate on stories linking Jermain Defoe with a £10m move to Liverpool. The club said their policy was not to talk about speculation."

:lmao: Oh the hilarity.

Saw it as well mate - nearly coughed up a lung I laughed that hard!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #28: Jan 16, 2012 04:01:13 pm
      F**k me! Redknapp keeps around 5 sky sports news reporters in a job!

Isn't that the truth... That's why "Sagpuss" can do no wrong... The media love him and his bouts of Tourette's..
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #29: Jan 16, 2012 04:24:02 pm
      Isn't that the truth... That's why "Sagpuss" can do no wrong... The media love him and his bouts of Tourette's..

Well actually the text in full reads;"FOOTBALL: Tottenham refuse to speculate on stories linking Jermain Defoe with a £10m move to Liverpool. The club said their policy was not to talk about speculation, but manager Harry Redknapp did tell the press on Friday that he wanted to keep hold of the player."

;D
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #30: Jan 16, 2012 04:43:15 pm
      Well actually the text in full reads;"FOOTBALL: Tottenham refuse to speculate on stories linking Jermain Defoe with a £10m move to Liverpool. The club said their policy was not to talk about speculation, but manager Harry Redknapp did tell the press on Friday that he wanted to keep hold of the player."

;D

He really is Del boy int he??.lolol
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31: Jan 16, 2012 04:44:37 pm

With transfer gossip this morning claiming that Liverpool were looking to sign Jermain Defoe, I just thought I would ask, what for some may be a silly question.

Twelve months ago, a fairly large percentage of Spurs fans saw the then Newcastle striker as the perfect No9 to solve all our ill`s, but what looked a grossly inflated fee then, is a standing joke now, as Liverpool beat everyone to his signature in a breathtaking £35 MILLION deal.

Today I find it difficult to imagine that anyone would pay more than £15m for the player, and perhaps that would be consider a gamble on a striker that looks like a pub player, such is his lack of confidence and touch, and doubts are sure to be raised about his ability to play for anyone else but his hometown club, or that a mix of injury and a less than professional lifestyle has taken the edge from his game, even at such a young age.

Now it`s no secret that Jermain Defoe isn`t overjoyed at spending the majority of his time on the bench at White Hart Lane and I would imagine he would be more than interested in talking to Liverpool, should they be serious about making an offer. Not only would they be likely to offer him the regular football he craves, but he would see it as a face saving sideways (at least) move to a club that might also be willing to give him a pay rise on his current earnings.

In the case of Jermain, you really don`t see a long term future for the player as long as we retain Rafael Van der Vaart and look to play a lone striker, who would be expected to hold the ball up and be a greater physical threat than Jermain is capable of offering. My feeling is that though I expect him to remain at WHL this month, I can see him looking to leave with greater force in the summer and I can see Spurs allowing this to happen as long as they can secure his replacement.

My question is, could or should that replacement be Andy Carroll? On the face of it, we would be buying a player who isn`t playing well and is devoid of confidence for one who is at the top of his game. Hardly the ideal scenario, but if we could regain the spark to Carroll`s game, would he potentially turn out to be the outstanding striker that many hoped he would become?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I`m betting that if both Kenny Dalglish and Andy Carroll could turn the clocks back a year, they would not have done the deal in a million years. Carroll was injured at the time the deal was made and he probably returned too soon and never really showed anything of the player who terrorised defences with Newcastle. Now he has lost his confidence and also I believe that his manager doesn`t rate or trust him to be anything other than a Plan B, which is hardly ideal in a team that struggles to score enough goals.

Tactically, Liverpool don`t play to Andy`s strengths, but interestingly Tottenham do, with two wide men to supply plenty of crosses as opposed to Liverpool where they prefer to play with their wide men cutting inside, which wastes Carroll`s main talents. At 35m, Carroll was never a good buy and always a gamble, but at less than half of that fee and perhaps a straight swap with Defoe, I believe that Spurs would be a move to rejuvenate a player who has lost his way.

Carroll may not be your first choice option today, but he is potentially a player who is within our grasp on all criteria, and like Defoe moving to Liverpool, this would definitely be a move that would be face-saving and exciting for a player who still has massive potential and the ability to a legend for club and country with the right move and management...

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7511132#ixzz1jdjDljU8

As at Jan 2012 I wouldn't now have EITHER in the team.

WE CAN DO BETTER THAN ALL OF THIS ......... CANT WE ?

P.S. Also a  small question of a £25 million squid difference.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #32: Jan 16, 2012 04:46:54 pm
      It was a bit tongue in cheek really and lets face he was doing what was best for his son at the time.I think if Defoe genuinely wants away then he would let him go.

He will only be allowed leave if they get another Striker they are after Remy if they get him i think we will try with a cheeky bid.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #33: Jan 16, 2012 04:57:51 pm
      The problem is that Tottenham are hard ball negotiators when it comes to selling their players.  They didn't let Modric go for 30M in the summer.  They have also rebuffed bids for Krankjar and Pav recently because they did not meet their valuation.  I'd gladly have Defoe in our team for a decent fee, but they will try to charge double what he is worth (20M for a 10M player), and at that point it no longer makes financial sense. 
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34: Jan 16, 2012 05:13:03 pm
      The problem is that Tottenham are hard ball negotiators when it comes to selling their players.  They didn't let Modric go for 30M in the summer.  They have also rebuffed bids for Krankjar and Pav recently because they did not meet their valuation.  I'd gladly have Defoe in our team for a decent fee, but they will try to charge double what he is worth (20M for a 10M player), and at that point it no longer makes financial sense.

I think it depends on the value of the player to them. Modric they simply didnt want to sell so price didnt come into it for them, and the bids for Kranjcar and Pavlechenko could be daftly low in a trying it on attempt. I think 10 million for a player just touching 30 is right (anyone know his rough contract length?) and i dont see them playing utter hardball on price, its just if they get in a replacement and agree to let him go.

I think Defoe wants to leave to get regular football, that also could make a difference. Modric was different he is key to their side, HR obviousy doesnt see Defoe as that or he would play more.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #35: Jan 16, 2012 05:25:19 pm
      10 mil is definitely a good bet. people have said that he doesn't contribute much to team apart from finishing but thats what we need.

we create chances and for all the contribution suarez brings, he doesn't finish off enough.

keep creating, get someone like defoe who knows where the goal is to finish them off.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #36: Jan 16, 2012 05:31:13 pm
      sign him up, always liked him
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #37: Jan 16, 2012 05:34:45 pm
      I have been watching a few videos and yeah he has scored a few good goals , but the majority are the scrappy tap ins . And Jesus this season we have created a few of those but not had the instinctive striker to put them away .......Im slowly coming to terms with the fact that if we do get him then it might not be as bad as i first thought.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #38: Jan 16, 2012 05:44:44 pm
      Fast, can create, great shot on him. Yes please :)
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #39: Jan 16, 2012 06:23:31 pm
      When talking about Defoe everyone always says the cliche "oh he scores goals". Tottenham's strikers were woeful last year, he had 4 goals in 22 prem apps last year, went on a massive drought as well. That's why they went out and got Adebayor. To be fair to him his return is much better this year, 7 goals in 15 apps, but i think we can do better
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Jan 16, 2012 06:29:03 pm
      As has been said before, players who rely on their pace end their careers earlier or peak earlier and tail off quicker, for that reason alone a 30 y/o striker of that ilk should not really be on our shopping list and I believe he isn't personally.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #41: Jan 16, 2012 06:38:05 pm
      When talking about Defoe everyone always says the cliche "oh he scores goals". Tottenham's strikers were woeful last year, he had 4 goals in 22 prem apps last year, went on a massive drought as well. That's why they went out and got Adebayor. To be fair to him his return is much better this year, 7 goals in 15 apps, but i think we can do better

One bad season is acceptable though isnt it over a 10 year career? He was in and out for alot of last year like he is this year which is why i think he wants out.

Getting on 200 career goals in 450 odd games speaks for itself.

Like ive said not top of my list but if he ended up here by the end of January i wouldnt be upset.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #42: Jan 16, 2012 06:45:37 pm
      One bad season is acceptable though isnt it over a 10 year career? He was in and out for alot of last year like he is this year which is why i think he wants out.

Getting on 200 career goals in 450 odd games speaks for itself.

Like ive said not top of my list but if he ended up here by the end of January i wouldnt be upset.

Why was he in and out of the squad last year when the only two other strikers were Pav and Crouch? And why did they need Adebayor as a replacement? Because he's not a top 4 striker, which is where they were trying to be and which I hope is where we are trying to be
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #43: Jan 16, 2012 06:45:58 pm
      Jermain Defoe - I Can't Stop [HD]

After watching this i was left thinking he reminds me of Michael Owen!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #44: Jan 16, 2012 06:49:36 pm
      Why was he in and out of the squad last year when the only two other strikers were Pav and Crouch? And why did they need Adebayor as a replacement? Because he's not a top 4 striker, which is where they were trying to be and which I hope is where we are trying to be

Because Redknapp plays one up top with Van Der Vaart behind in the hole and Defoe will never be used as a target man in that role, which is why they have got Adebayor to do that role.

Like i said he wouldnt be my first choice but id bet that the 7 draws at home, 5 of which we have utterly dominated, i would think he could have gotten us goals in those games. IMO

LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #45: Jan 16, 2012 07:00:54 pm

So does Kenny

Quick Reply