Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)

Read 36252 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)
      Reply #92: Jan 26, 2012 03:54:13 am
      ^^
      Totally agree. It's up to us to live to the expectations. No point of having a large stadium if we can't scare the living s**t out of the opposition.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #93: Jan 26, 2012 09:35:10 pm
      So.... When will we hear something from our owners? Agan, it's becoming a bit of a drag this!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #94: Jan 26, 2012 09:39:38 pm
      So.... When will we hear something from our owners? Agan, it's becoming a bit of a drag this!

I think they are trying to make a full informed and final decision before they announce anything. That's not a bad thing, at least when the announcement is made we can believe it rather than the old, shovel in the ground bollocks...

They have been doing their research, clearing the season ticket waiting list up, changing the way people buy their tickets, they are finding what the true demand is.

I'm sure we will hear something sooner rather than later.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #95: Jan 26, 2012 09:41:40 pm

When their is something to announce.  Been nothing firm from the club yet, just endless rumour from the chattering press.  When they have something to tell us, we'll know.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #96: Jan 27, 2012 07:47:32 am
      Dont get me wrong - I would rather they did this the right way... If we really could gain another £1Million each match day through this then thats circa £30Million a season we are losing (cup run included..!). Add Champs league / latter stages of the Europa and it's more like £35 / £40Million. This is also just based on Ticket Prices (£40 per ticket x 25,000 extra capacity + new super expensive boxes)... Add on the extras - 25000 extra drinks being purchased each game, 15,000 extra programmes, 10,000 pies - a few new shirts at the club shop and extra bit's and bobs... This number could easily turn in to £1.5Million a game - especially if we get the hospitality right on the day!

Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #97: Jan 27, 2012 09:08:15 am
      I still don't understand how a stadium that would have cost £80M in 2001 now costs £300M.

Simply can't be right.

Steel prices have risen but only by about 25% and I'd imagine inflation would be similar.

Not 375% inflation!  Anyone care to explain?
      You would think the council would encourage a new stadium with the economy being bad means more jobs for people.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #98: Jan 27, 2012 11:40:28 am
      You would think the council would encourage a new stadium with the economy being bad means more jobs for people.

You don't know Liverpool City Council very well do you?
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #99: Jan 27, 2012 12:24:55 pm
      I still don't understand how a stadium that would have cost £80M in 2001 now costs £300M.

Simply can't be right.

Steel prices have risen but only by about 25% and I'd imagine inflation would be similar.

Tried to look into the price of steel, but couldn't find any really helpful figures, but I had the impression the price had risen a lot, lot more than that myself.

Where did you get your info from, I'd be interested to have a look.

Had a look at this quickly, there's a graph on page 10/11 showing the price of UK steel has about doubled since 2001.

http://nass.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/UK-Steel-Key-Statistics-2011.pdf

We should definitely have built at that time, since the price has skyrocketed since! :roll:
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #100: Jan 27, 2012 11:22:31 pm

Simply can't be right.

I think the reasons are more than just Steel costs. I agree that the main material in the stadium will be Steel - however it is not the only cost increase. The materials used in the new stadium will be;

Steel - 25% Increase
      Copper - 50% Increase
      Concrete - 30% Increase
      Insulation - 10% Increase
      Electrics - 30% Increase
      Glass - 5% Increase
      Plastic - 20% Increase

These wont add up to a 375% increase - especially with a labour increase of circa 5%. It's when you look at where these materials will have to come from and factor in the costs that each supplier adds + mark-up. With Diesel prices continuing to rise getting these products to England costs a hell of a lot more! So add the 25% cost of steel to the 50% freight cost + 3% for labour of all the people involved (it will travel via sea and road) it add’s up. A journey of say 100 miles is now akin to a 150 Mile trip with a 5% labour cost increase.

The key is the Diesel costs.

The freight for all the goods, the machines used to build, the transport for the workers each day. It's almost like an immediate 100% (from 70p per litre to about £1.40 per litre) increase on everything - before the individual rises on raw materials. So if 1 tonne of steel delivered to Liverpool cost £100 in 2001 - it would now be £250...
      King of the Kop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #101: Feb 02, 2012 08:33:04 pm
      Not Bad design's which ever one is built will really be something the club can be proud of .. Having to leave Anfield will be a little sad imo but if the Club itself is to really become the number one brand in england and even europe again we do need it
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #102: Feb 02, 2012 09:29:48 pm
      become the number one brand in england and even europe again we do need it

I F***ing hate that word "brand."

We are a club, a team, not a brand, not like those fake cu*ts down the East Lancs.
      Referee
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #103: Mar 01, 2012 08:43:19 pm
      Being from Boston and seeing the daily reported workings of the Fenway group, don't get your hopes up for a new stadium unless the local municipalities pony up loads of cash.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #104: Mar 01, 2012 10:28:20 pm
      Being from Boston and seeing the daily reported workings of the Fenway group, don't get your hopes up for a new stadium unless the local municipalities pony up loads of cash.

Thats for that heartwarming input.  :f_doh:
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #105: Mar 01, 2012 10:56:33 pm
      Thats for that heartwarming input.  :f_doh:

It's bullcrap PD, they were set to build a new stadium but the community begged to stay at Fenway so they figured out another way to do it by incrementally adding seats and raising prices a ton. Most Red Sox fans don't complain about prices as they understand that was the trade off in staying @ Fenway.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #106: Mar 01, 2012 11:00:55 pm

It's bullcrap PD, they were set to build a new stadium but the community begged to stay at Fenway so they figured out another way to do it by incrementally adding seats and raising prices a ton. Most Red Sox fans don't complain about prices as they understand that was the trade off in staying @ Fenway.

I didnt belive it, i think all the obvious work being done behind the scenes that if you look close enough tells you that its a top priority for them, whichever way they end up getting the finance.. There will be a solution, its the only way we move forward and they start to make a return.

On a side note though id be careful if i was them to increase the price too much and drive/force away the local fan base just because we have a wider pull.. The people of Liverpool need to keep going to the games.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #107: Mar 01, 2012 11:05:59 pm
      I didnt belive it, i think all the obvious work being done behind the scenes that if you look close enough tells you that its a top priority for them, whichever way they end up getting the finance.. There will be a solution, its the only way we move forward and they start to make a return.

On a side note though id be careful if i was them to increase the price too much and drive/force away the local fan base just because we have a wider pull.. The people of Liverpool need to keep going to the games.

I don't disagree but with the Yankees and they're stadium of almost 60k compared to 34k at Fenway over a 82 game home schedule there is a huge gap to compete, that and the fact they have squeezed every last inch of space at Fenway for seating; there is literally no room for 1 seat. We are talking a $131m/year revenue difference just in gate receipts. So the Sox raised prices and they have also had to be smart in how they spent money. Even with the discrepancies we still managed to be more successful than NY over the last decade.

Average ticket prices:

1 New York Yankees $80.35
      2 Toronto Blue Jays $72.39
      3 Tampa Bay Rays $61.50
      4 Texas Rangers $58.82
      5 Boston Red Sox $58.75
      6 Baltimore Orioles $55.26
      7 Philadelphia Phillies $46.79
      8 St. Louis Cardinals $46.11
      9 Chicago Cubs $42.59
      10 New York Mets $37.55
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #108: Mar 01, 2012 11:12:27 pm

I don't disagree but with the Yankees and they're stadium of almost 60k compared to 34k at Fenway over a 82 game home schedule there is a huge gap to compete, that and the fact they have squeezed every last inch of space at Fenway for seating; there is literally no room for 1 seat. We are talking a $65m/year revenue difference just in gate receipts.

Yes but they must understand thats always been the case here.. Liverpool and Manchester cant charge "London" prices.. The cost of living balances it out.. Increase the price at Anfield would force the local fan base away.. Not through want but through affordability.

More seats is the only way to keep up.. And being successful so being able to ask for more from sponsorship and corporate etc..

I know it doesnt go into a business plan.. But the local fanbase needs to be kept.. They will and always have bled the club and will be around even if the club hits hard times... Had the worst come to the worst and the club gone from what we know now under the cowboys the locals will still be there for the club and passing down that to their kids, would the travelling fan base still be in a couple of decades time? They cant be priced out..
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #109: Mar 01, 2012 11:15:37 pm

Average ticket prices:

1 New York Yankees $80.35
      2 Toronto Blue Jays $72.39
      3 Tampa Bay Rays $61.50
      4 Texas Rangers $58.82
      5 Boston Red Sox $58.75
      6 Baltimore Orioles $55.26
      7 Philadelphia Phillies $46.79
      8 St. Louis Cardinals $46.11
      9 Chicago Cubs $42.59
      10 New York Mets $37.55

Out of interest mate how does that work? i was over in the states and Canada a couple of years back and went to watch the Yankees and Blue jays while there and didnt (from memory) pay prices like that? Do they drop on the day? Which i brought both on the door on the day of the games..
      Referee
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #110: Mar 02, 2012 04:08:46 am
      In the U.S. privately funded new stadium construction is very rare. In the NFL, Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, Sun Life Stadium (formerly Joe Robbie Stadium) in Miami, Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX. The new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, NY... Billionaire owners who convince and juice local and state government politicians and agencies to work collectively (shake down the public coffers) to get a palace built. I don't profess to know how the Liverpool City Counsel works nor do I know which construction firms are to be considered. What I do believe however is the Fenway Group doesn't appear to have the deep pockets necessary to pull off the entire effort.
      They are spread out on baseball, NASCAR, and John Henry's core business commodities trading is highly speculative and volatile. Get used to a refurb of Anfield and be grateful for that!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #111: Mar 02, 2012 04:25:49 am
      Out of interest mate how does that work? i was over in the states and Canada a couple of years back and went to watch the Yankees and Blue jays while there and didnt (from memory) pay prices like that? Do they drop on the day? Which i brought both on the door on the day of the games..

All depends where you sit my friend but those prices are the average of all seats and all competition. Might be far cheaper watching the Jays or Royals as they will adjust ticket prices. Boston v NY are the highest of the high.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #112: Mar 02, 2012 02:14:08 pm
      They are spread out on baseball, NASCAR, and John Henry's core business commodities trading is highly speculative and volatile. Get used to a refurb of Anfield and be grateful for that!

Fantastic, can't F***ing wait!!

What I and quite a few others want. As far as I'm concerned I want a refurb of Anfield - OUR TRUE HOME, stick these shiny new sh*t stadiums.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #113: Mar 02, 2012 02:18:48 pm
      Fantastic, can't f**king wait!!

What I and quite a few others want. As far as I'm concerned I want a refurb of Anfield - OUR TRUE HOME, stick these shiny new sh*t stadiums.

Great news... Who the F**k asked to move.

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #114: Mar 02, 2012 04:48:22 pm
      Different system here !

An owner can't move a team from one city to another, so they can not hold the local council to ransom and forcing them to spend loads of cash on a new stadium or saying they will take the team somewhere else

Anyone who does not understand this process should watch the documentary "Sonicsgate; Requiem for a team"  think it on utube ? or you can watch it on the site "Top documentary films" A very good documentary but heart breaking for any true sports fan

Quick Reply