Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

On this day:

Read 98418 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: On this day:
      Reply #138: Dec 08, 2014 08:57:38 pm
      2004:

Liverpool 0-1 Olympiakos HT (0-2 AGG)

Half time and with last season's finalists Monaco tearing up last season's semi finalists Coruna in Spain, it's time to start planning for the new year in the UEFA Cup.

Wait, that Houllier reject Pongolle is on to partner Mellor upfront. Getting one will be hard enough, let alone three. Looks like we should take it easy and keep us fresh for the derby on Saturday.

;)
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #139: Dec 16, 2014 11:51:03 pm
      1989:

Chelsea 2-5 Liverpool

In the days before 24 hour football coverage, football fans considered this essential viewing before the weekend's action. Saint and Greavsie was the Football Focus of it's day, and arguably better too. 25 years ago today, this episode was aired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmF57QSHVCM

As this show was going out on air, the revolution to depose Nicolae Ceaucescu began in Timisoara, Romania.

2 hours later, we scored twice in the first 10 minutes at newly promoted Chelsea, winning 5-2. After many years of hurt there that folllowed, our next win there was in 2004.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #140: Dec 29, 2014 01:43:09 pm
      6 years ago Slippy G twatted that DJ in Southport.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #141: Mar 16, 2015 11:48:53 pm
      1988:

Derby 1-1 Liverpool

In our 29th league game of the season,  Craig Johnston opens the scoring as we get the point at Derby to equal the most unbeaten games since the start of the season record, which had stood for 14 years. All we have to do to beat it is go to Everton and get a point at the outgoing champions the following Sunday, albeit easier said than done.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #142: Mar 30, 2015 09:45:30 am
      On This Day - 1892: A meeting in Neptune Hotel, Clayton Sq drew up the rules of a new football club...
      120 years of LFC? Not quite yet
      For those of you who were planning to celebrate 120 years of Liverpool Football Club today, we're about to spoil the party.

That's because today - contrary to popular belief - is not our birthday.

Instead you'll have to wait until June 3.

LFC museum curator Stephen Done explains: "People think the club was formed on March 15 but it wasn't. March 15 is incredibly important but it is not when the club was born.

"That day is important because it was the day Everton Football Club, as we now know it, booted out the people who became Liverpool Football Club. That was the critical moment when Everton broke up.

The first ever Liverpool side

"On that day there was an Everton general meeting during which a man called George Mahon, one of the directors, was voted in to be the new chairman, having decided that John Houlding was not a fit and proper person to run the club.

"Mahon went over and sat in the chairman's chair and was about to then proceed with the meeting when John Houlding burst through the doors. And there was a stand-off. It's real, real drama. It would make great TV."

The disagreement had been years in the making.

Season ticket for Liverpool Football Club's first campaign

In 1885, Houlding, then owner of Everton Football Club, bought the land for an Anfield stadium from a friend, Joseph Orrell, so that his team could play there. An important aspect of their deal concerned a strip of the land on the plot where the modern day Centenary Stand is now in place.

Done continues: "Joseph Orrell said, 'At some point I might want to put a road on this plot of land and if I decide that a road goes there, you've got to pay for the costs of this road. That's part of the deal.'

"So things went amicably until 1891, when Orrell said, 'I want that road built now' and Houlding went to a meeting of the Everton board. The letter he read informed the board that Orrell wanted his road building and they'd have to move the stand they'd built on that land.

Liverpool's first ever shirt: The Reds played in blue

"The board of directors, led by George Mahon, believed they could get a better deal elsewhere and it would cost them too much to move the stand. So they proposed moving to a piece of land on the other side of Stanley Park called Mere Green. They could have that for £50 a year so they thought, 'Why don't we just move down there and build a new stadium?'"

On March 15, after a stand-up row, Mahon decided to split with Houlding and his close advisers Edwin Berry, William Barclay and John McKenna. Mahon was to be the chairman of a new Everton Football Club and he was going to take his team over to Mere Green and build the stadium which would later come to be known as Goodison Park.

"One - but not the only - important date as far as Liverpool fans are concerned is March 30, 1892," says Stephen. "In the Neptune Hotel, in Clayton Square, Berry, Barclay, McKenna and Houlding sat down and drew up the rules of a brand new football club.

The 'rules' of Liverpool Football Club, drawn up by Houlding

"And they knew that they had to change the name from Everton because Mahon and his lot wanted to be Everton. So they had this idea for our club as we know it now. And rule one was: 'That the club be called Liverpool Football Club and shall play under the Rules of the Football Association.'

"So you could say March 30 was the key date. However, it's all very well doing that, but the club had to be registered and the funding had to be gathered and so on. And so on June 3, 1892, the Board of Trade finally sent a certificate saying that the club formally constituted a company. It could now trade.

"And so the birth certificate we have for the new club that would play at Anfield says June 3."

The official Liverpool birth certificate

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/120-years-of-lfc-not-quite-yet
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #143: Apr 13, 2015 12:09:32 pm
      Benitez's tactical masterclass in Turin

10 years ago today (has it really been that long?!) Rafa Benitez's Liverpool finished the job in Turin as they knocked Italian champions Juventus out of the Champions League.

Rafa's Reds were disciplined and he played a tactical masterclass in keeping out one of the most talented sides in Europe that season on their own turf.

What a night..

link
      Speke Up Redmen
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 68 posts |
      • I wear a jesters hat in the Kop like a whopper!!
      Reply #144: Apr 13, 2015 12:24:24 pm
      Can't believe it's been 10 years since that wonderful night in Turin where we held Juve to a 0-0 draw to progress to the Semi Final against Chelsea. I remember even Traore having a fantastic game that night! Time has flown since then!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #145: Apr 13, 2015 12:39:03 pm
      1985:

FA Cup Semi-Final: 2-2

The first Liverpool game I ever saw. 2 goals at the end of normal time and extra time got us a replay. 7 days later, we played Newcastle at home and won 3-1.

30 years later, we play Newcastle at home, and about to play another FA Cup Semi Final. Some things in this game never change.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #146: Apr 30, 2015 02:55:47 pm
      Came up on my Twitter:

On this day 2005 Stevie G scored one of the most memorable and the best goals of his career. What a strike.... https://instagram.com/p/2GeKiOQZO9/

22 year old Steven Gerrard as our Summer Marquee signing, please FSG! ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #147: May 01, 2015 07:59:28 am
      FA CUP FINAL 

LIVERPOOL 2  - LEEDS 1

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #148: May 01, 2015 09:31:13 am
      Benitez's tactical masterclass in Turin

10 years ago today (has it really been that long?!) Rafa Benitez's Liverpool finished the job in Turin as they knocked Italian champions Juventus out of the Champions League.

Rafa's Reds were disciplined and he played a tactical masterclass in keeping out one of the most talented sides in Europe that season on their own turf.

What a night..

link

The more I look at that mate makes me wonder how the hell did he get that team to a euro final quite staggering really .
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #149: May 01, 2015 01:12:53 pm
      The more I look at that mate makes me wonder how the hell did he get that team to a euro final quite staggering really .

Rafa is special and loved(s) Liverpool. Yes, he wasn't so good in PL but Europe - there is no one better.
      If ManShitty want to win CL then they would do to hire Rafa. Heck Rafa got the Chavs Europa in 6 months when everyone hated him over there.
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2015 01:36:24 pm by RobieSlick »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #150: May 01, 2015 10:17:23 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #151: May 01, 2015 10:24:39 pm
      1980 - A certain Ian Rush signed for Liverpool and went on to become our all time leading goal scorer.

True legend.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #152: May 04, 2015 12:36:20 pm
      1985:

Liverpool 4-3 Chelsea

In the days when beating Chelsea at home was routine, my first time at Anfield saw us consolidate second place with a 4-3 win in the 11.30am ko era.
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #153: May 15, 2015 11:45:36 am
      Kenny's league title with Blackburn 30 years ago.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #154: May 25, 2015 08:15:04 pm
      on this day our lads pulled themselves out of the gutter took a deep breath remembered we are Liverpool and the rest is history.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #155: May 25, 2015 08:50:01 pm
      Where once we watched the Rafa team play.

Alonso pulled the stings.
      We had dreams and songs to sing.
      There was glory on the field at Istanbul.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #156: May 25, 2015 09:04:51 pm
      at this point we were 3=0 down but the boys just kept on singing.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #157: May 25, 2015 10:21:11 pm
      At this point I was kneeling down on my own in front of the telly watching the lap of honour crying but laughing in histerics  at the same time.. with about 20 odd empty cans scattered around the living room thinking I've drunk all those cans and i don't even feel slightly pissed.. just pure natural ecstasy..

Didn't sleep that night... even the boss said to me the next morning when I clocked on "what are you doing here?"...
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #158: May 26, 2015 03:33:50 pm
      At this point I was kneeling down on my own in front of the telly watching the lap of honour crying but laughing in histerics  at the same time.. with about 20 odd empty cans scattered around the living room thinking I've drunk all those cans and i don't even feel slightly pissed.. just pure natural ecstasy..

Didn't sleep that night... even the boss said to me the next morning when I clocked on "what are you doing here?"...

Ha Ha isn't incredible how much you can drink when you are so immersed in something.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #159: May 26, 2015 08:27:07 pm
      Ha Ha isn't incredible how much you can drink when you are so immersed in something.

Started to hit me as it wore on the next day though mate (about now actually, ha) ..So I sank a few more beers after my tea and watched it all over again...
      That delayed hangover i'm still to this day trying avoid mate...ha ha
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #160: May 26, 2015 09:22:13 pm
      Everton Valley amongst thousands of jubilant Reds going absolutely mental what a  night. It should have been the start and two years later another CL final but since then oh dear.

Quick Reply