Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

On this day:

Read 97570 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: On this day:
      Reply #207: Nov 30, 2016 04:18:01 pm
      29 November 1998: Young Steven Gerrard makes his senior Liverpool debut.
      29 November 2016: Young Ben Woodburn scores his first senior goal for Liverpool.

A special day packed with full of potential.

Ooh. That is a little eerie, in the best possible way.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #208: Jan 31, 2017 07:55:41 am
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #209: Jan 31, 2017 08:45:18 am
      Today could be a truly great one for Liverpool Football Club. If we manage to shoehorn Sakho out of the door on a permanent deal, when his fee is added to the Ilori one off of Villa we must surely be certainties to win the league!! (that's the NET spend league obviously, where "less is more" (sponsored by weightwatchers).

I don't know about you but I'm as excited as f*** about the prospect!   
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #210: Jan 31, 2017 10:55:50 am
      Today could be a truly great one for Liverpool Football Club. If we manage to shoehorn Sakho out of the door on a permanent deal, when his fee is added to the Ilori one off of Villa we must surely be certainties to win the league!! (that's the NET spend league obviously, where "less is more" (sponsored by weightwatchers).

I don't know about you but I'm as excited as f*** about the prospect!   

It's getting better Mick potentially another £750K in the coffers with the 30% add on clause with Canos moving from Norwich to Brentford.   :D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #211: Jan 31, 2017 11:08:35 am
      It's getting better Mick potentially another £750K in the coffers with the 30% add on clause with Canos moving from Norwich to Brentford.   :D

Betfred might as well pay out on us now! On another note, we must be due to renegotiate the Dunkin Donuts contract soon, that'll bring a few more quid in.

9th richest in the World? Not for long, we'll be knocking the Mancs "off their pirch" before you know it mate.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #212: Jan 31, 2017 11:22:42 am
      10 years ago today.

If ever we needed him its now .  The best DM we have ever had and should never have let go .

Javier Mascherano
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #213: Jan 31, 2017 11:56:04 am
      It transpires that Carroll had to 'google' some of his team mates... Suarez probably one of them. Hopefully he knew of Dalglish. ;)
      Kopite78
      Reply #214: Jan 31, 2017 12:10:31 pm
      It transpires that Carroll had to 'google' some of his team mates... Suarez probably one of them. Hopefully he knew of Dalglish. ;)

Andy Carroll probably has to Google how to tie hos shoelaces

Hey I bet he wouldn't have to Google Victor Moses though  8)
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #215: Jan 31, 2017 01:45:59 pm
      Maybe not.. but I bet you guys did.  :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #216: Mar 06, 2017 04:04:10 pm
      Six years ago today - Suarez tore the arse out of Man Utd at Anfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MTzjggZfwE
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #217: Mar 06, 2017 05:22:57 pm
      Six years ago today - Suarez tore the arse out of Man Utd at Anfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MTzjggZfwE

Fantastic memories.

Kennys smile so infectious. Just brings joy watching that!

paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #218: Mar 06, 2017 05:46:10 pm

Fantastic memories.

Kennys smile so infectious. Just brings joy watching that!
      Must be one of the shortest distance hat-tricks of all time, boot to over the goal line - about a combination of 1.5 yards
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #219: Mar 10, 2017 10:37:18 pm
      Liverpool beat Real Madrid 4-0 8 YEARS ago today. Only felt like yesterday. A stunning performance that goes down as possibly the most perfect display of football I've witnessed from Liverpool in the last 15 years or so coupled with the very best atmosphere. Great memories.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #220: Mar 10, 2017 11:49:56 pm
      Liverpool beat Real Madrid 4-0 8 YEARS ago today. Only felt like yesterday. A stunning performance that goes down as possibly the most perfect display of football I've witnessed from Liverpool in the last 15 years or so coupled with the very best atmosphere. Great memories.

Indeed it was.  Was about row 10 on the Kop for that game and anyone that was there that night will always have positive rather than negative memories of Fernando.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Reply #221: Mar 11, 2017 01:00:39 am
      Ok Great discussion topic,  which tops them all, the 4-0 Real Madrid,  the 4-1 at Man City last season,  4-1 at Old Trafford in 2009 or the 5-0 at Spurs

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #222: Mar 11, 2017 01:14:15 am

No way! Really doesn't feel that long ago but at the same time it feels as though we are well off having a squad capable of doing that performance again. What a game that was, we completely ripped them apart. Could have been more as well, I remember a cracking little turn by Torres and a great save by Casillas followed. In fact, there were a number of top class saves by Casillas that day, he really did prove just how good he was that game. Gerrard's 2nd was a really well taken volley if I remember rightly.

Ok Great discussion topic,  which tops them all, the 4-0 Real Madrid,  the 4-1 at Man City last season,  4-1 at Old Trafford in 2009 or the 5-0 at Spurs

That's not really this topic and a thrashing of Spurs will never be in the same bracket.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #223: Mar 11, 2017 01:43:16 am

The 5-0 win at Spurs is a great shout and was a kind of epiphany for the team and fans that season. Rodgers finest 90 minutes as a manager no doubt. Didn't see it on tv but it was magic listening to on the Radio. 4-1 win at Old Trafford - great memories. Saturday afternoon - remember laughing hysterically in part disbelief and just sheer bloody excitement at having battered that lot in their own back yard but for me it will always be the 4-0 over Madrid (just days earlier as well!). It was all about Liverpool that night and just felt like one of this rare beautiful moments when EVERYONE associated with Liverpool, be it the players, the supporters, the coaches or the stewards, were singing from the same hymn sheet. Awesome. So clinical, aggressive, ruthless and efficient without needing to be showy. Rafa, Stevie, Fernando...everyone brought their A game. If I could pay a thousand pounds for a ticket that night I would have! Those are the moments you live for and like so many of us we all store our memories in mental scrapbooks and my mind often turns the pages back to that week in March 2009. And the bookmark often stays on that page because while it makes me happy it also makes me a little bit sad because it's probably the last time I felt we were where we wanted to be. And while we didn't end up as champions of England or Europe that season, the ambition to be the very best in Europe and England seemed like a very real possibility.

Good times.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2017 01:56:25 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #224: Mar 14, 2017 08:13:46 am
      JedtheRed
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 58 
      Reply #225: Mar 14, 2017 07:20:38 pm

What a week that was, Real Madrid, this shower and then I met my now wife!

Seems longer ago though, and I just wonder if that is due to the turmoil of the club since then?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #226: Mar 15, 2017 10:26:56 am
      125 years ago
      LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB
      was founded.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/841801369845616640

... because Everton couldn't pay the bills...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #227: Mar 15, 2017 10:59:09 am
      Club was officially founded on the 3rd June.  125 years ago John Houlding was voted out of office as Everton president.

<But yeah, Everton didn't like the rent and they didn't like the beer>
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #228: Mar 15, 2017 01:07:39 pm
      Club was officially founded on the 3rd June.  125 years ago John Houlding was voted out of office as Everton president.

<But yeah, Everton didn't like the rent and they didn't like the beer>
      Ahh, is that why they said 'born'? My error.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      Reply #229: Mar 16, 2017 08:09:26 pm
      40 years ago this evening, the most important game in our history, in my opinion took place.

For me, if we'd lost this game, all that has followed would not have happened.

The game, 2nd leg Quarter-Final match in the European Cup from 1977, we  beat Saint-Etienne in a dramatic European comeback at Anfield!

Having been outclassed in the first leg in France, losing by a goal to nil to the French champions, few neutrals gave Bob Paisley's side much of a chance come the return leg at Anfield.

St Etienne, who had been runners-up the previous year to Bayern Munich, boasted a star-studded line-up of seasoned internationals, including the likes of Dominique Rocheteau, although the home side were given hope when striker Kevin Keegan levelled the tie on aggregate after just two minutes.

However, Dominique Bathenay spectacularly drew the visitors level with a precious away goal, meaning that Liverpool needed to score twice more without reply to secure their passage through to the semi-finals.

With time ticking away, the odds against such a revival happening were mounting, until Ray Kennedy made the scoreline 2-2 on aggregate with a 59th-minute strike, before 'supersub' David Fairclough broke through the middle to fire Liverpool through with only six minutes of the tie remaining. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2296812/Five-memorable-Liverpool-European-nights.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZdpzXXKpp8

Quick Reply