Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

On this day:

Read 97522 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: On this day:
      Reply #299: May 25, 2020 12:55:21 pm
      There are places I'll remember
      All my life, though some have changed
      Some forever, not for better
      Some have gone, and some remain
      All these places had their moments
      With lovers and friends, I still can recall
      Some are dead, and some are living
      In my life, I've loved them all

https://youtu.be/3IzvI3LPUzU

The Beatles & the Reds. The two greatest things on the planet
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #300: May 25, 2020 04:53:59 pm
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #301: May 25, 2020 04:55:24 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #302: May 25, 2020 06:54:43 pm
      Oh My f***in God, where to start, what a f***in night that was, I lost my job, nearly lost the missus, had the absolute privilege of punching a gob sh*te Manc, almost got arrested, F**k knows how I didn’t, got back home about 3am, just in time to nurse the wee fella who was 5 months old,
      I was going to listen on the radio until my mate dragged me down the boozer, he’s gone now but I’ll cherish that night until someone pours me into my coffin, he a Blackburn fan said ‘ Your fu**ed’ when Crespo got that third, I was almost in 😭, something in my eye,

When Ste bagged that header I said, we’ll win on pens watch, of course I was deluded, or was I, then Vladdy struck that shot, Baros shifted thankfully and the ball found the corner, by this point gobs***e Manc was getting on my f***in tits let me tell ye, giving it plenty for Milan, the kunt, anyhoo Guttosso floors Gerrard, Alonso bags the rebound and I went f***in mental,

In the bog kunt face is there saying this and that so I f***in decked the f**ker, luckily only a couple of fellow Reds seen it, anyhoo, back to it and ET, longest half hour ever, missed Dudek’s save buying beers, then that shoot out, then Shevchenko passed the ball to Jerzy, f***in Pandamonium and Paaarrtyyyy time .

Didn’t make it to work, fell asleep with the wee fella in my arms, it felt like I was holding big ears itself , it felt like I was in heaven,  what a night, thanks to my mate.

RIP Martin

Y  N  W  A
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #303: May 25, 2020 07:58:48 pm
      Who’s watching then ?
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #304: May 25, 2020 08:47:42 pm

My first and Liverpool's first ever European Cup Final, you never forget your first time  ;)  :D I was a very young teenage girl for the 1977 Final as I ventured to Rome with my big Cousin, what an adventure we had being at the Olympic Stadium in Rome, I've still got my ticket stub and programme and many other souvenirs from that trip.....memories.  And that's why the following year at Wembley beating Bruges 1-0 was a bit of a letdown, little did we know that years later we'd have that memorable night in Istanbul to saviour, wonderful. What a team we picked to follow and support eh  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: we've had some amazing memorable nights to cherish and we never do things easy  ;D
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #305: May 25, 2020 08:54:22 pm
      Oh My F**kin God, where to start, what a f***in night that was, I lost my job, nearly lost the missus, had the absolute privilege of punching a gob sh*te Manc, almost got arrested, f**k knows how I didn’t, got back home about 3am, just in time to nurse the wee fella who was 5 months old,
      I was going to listen on the radio until my mate dragged me down the boozer, he’s gone now but I’ll cherish that night until someone pours me into my coffin, he a Blackburn fan said ‘ Your F**ked’ when Crespo got that third, I was almost in 😭, something in my eye,

When Ste bagged that header I said, we’ll win on pens watch, of course I was deluded, or was I, then Vladdy struck that shot, Baros shifted thankfully and the ball found the corner, by this point gobs***e Manc was getting on my f***in tits let me tell ye, giving it plenty for Milan, the kunt, anyhoo Guttosso floors Gerrard, Alonso bags the rebound and I went f***in mental,

In the bog kunt face is there saying this and that so I f***in decked the f**ker, luckily only a couple of fellow Reds seen it, anyhoo, back to it and ET, longest half hour ever, missed Dudek’s save buying beers, then that shoot out, then Shevchenko passed the ball to Jerzy, f***in Pandamonium and Paaarrtyyyy time .

Didn’t make it to work, fell asleep with the wee fella in my arms, it felt like I was holding big ears itself , it felt like I was in heaven,  what a night, thanks to my mate.

RIP Martin

Y  N  W  A

Absolutely love this post  8) bloody brilliant x
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #306: May 25, 2020 11:00:33 pm
      There are places I'll remember
      All my life, though some have changed
      Some forever, not for better
      Some have gone, and some remain
      All these places had their moments
      With lovers and friends, I still can recall
      Some are dead, and some are living
      In my life, I've loved them all

https://youtu.be/YBcdt6DsLQA

Was walking thru a graveyard only last week (as you do) getting some rays avec face mask .

Saw this on a fairly new gravestone and thought ... Yes  thats definitely one for the bucket list.

In My Life I've Loved You All.

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #307: May 27, 2020 12:10:59 pm
      European glory in Gay Paree
      1981 - We won the European Cup for the third time by beating the mighty Real Madrid at the Parc des Princes in Paris thanks to an Alan Kennedy strike nine minutes from time. Unbeknownst to everyone, Ray Clemence was making his 665th and final reds appearance, keeping his 335th clean sheet, with Jimmy Case also playing his 269th and last reds game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5XH1zEaio

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #308: May 27, 2020 03:16:59 pm
      1981 - We won the European Cup for the third time by beating the mighty Real Madrid at the Parc des Princes in Paris thanks to an Alan Kennedy strike nine minutes from time. Unbeknownst to everyone, Ray Clemence was making his 665th and final reds appearance, keeping his 335th clean sheet, with Jimmy Case also playing his 269th and last reds game.

I had moved from the Wirral to NJ, USA in January of that year, absolutely no coverage of this game, we all had to wait for a phone call from my aunt when it was over.

To those who remember, god, it looked like a wet soggy bumpy field??
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #309: May 27, 2020 07:05:01 pm

I had moved from the Wirral to NJ, USA in January of that year, absolutely no coverage of this game, we all had to wait for a phone call from my aunt when it was over.

To those who remember, god, it looked like a wet soggy bumpy field??

I went on the special from Lime Street to Paris which was exciting enough on it's own  ;D I have to admit I can hardly recall anything about the game itself, I do remember Alan Kennedy scoring the only goal of the game, I remember losing my front tooth at the Paris Underground metro  :lmao: and being chased with a knife for our tickets outside the ground, scary times. Just glad we won our 3rd European Cup  :scarf:

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #310: May 28, 2020 11:37:50 am
      From lfchistory.net -

Milan the European champion
      2002 - Milan Baroš featured for the Czech Republic Under 21’s as they clinched the European Championships against France in Switzerland. He only played for the first 45 minutes, with the Czechs winning the tournament in a penalty shoot-out after a goalless match.
      1997 - He bagged a brace for the Under-15’s as they thumped Hungary 5-1 in a friendly in Ostrozska Nova Ves.

On target for England
      1976 - Phil Thompson scored the winner for England, his only goal for his country, as they beat Italy 3-2 in the US Bicentenary Tournament in New York. Joe Corrigan won his first cap, as a substitute, while Phil Neal also played.
      1969 - Alun Evans won his fourth and final England Under-23’s cap as they drew 1-1 with Portugal in Funchal. Clubmate Emlyn Hughes netted England’s goal.

Digger’s debut
      1983 - Future red John Barnes made his full England debut as they were held to a goalless draw in the British International Championships in Northern Ireland. Phil Neal also played.
      1988 - Barnes also played for his country, alongside Peter Beardsley and future clubmate Mark Wright, as they beat Switzerland 1-0 in a friendly in Lausanne.

Staying and going
      2018 – It was announced that Brazilian midfielder Fabinho would sign on 1st July for an initial £39m. He has so far score twice in 72 outings, helping us to claim the UEFA Champions League in Madrid in June 2019.
      2013 – Manchester City’s centre-half Kolo Touré agreed to join the reds on a free transfer in July of that year, once his contract had expired. He netted just once in 71 first-team appearances for the reds before being released in July 2016.

2009 - Fernando Torres agreed a new improved contract to tie him to the club until 2013, although he left for a Chelsea in January 2011 for a £50m fee. On the same day, it was announced that reserves boss Gary Ablett was to leave at the end of the month.
      1924 – Defender Bill Cockburn signed from Stockport County. He played 67 times before joining Queens Park Rangers in July 1928.

On target for the Irish
      1987 - Ronnie Whelan scored his first full international goal in the Republic of Ireland’s 2-0 European Championships qualifying win in Luxembourg. John Aldridge and future red Ray Houghton both also played.
      1989 - Ray Houghton netted as the Irish beat Malta 2-0 in a World Cup qualifier at Lansdowne Road. John Aldridge, Steve Staunton, Ronnie Whelan and ex-red Kevin Sheedy all also featured.

A friendly triumph
      1922 - We thumped an Emilia Select side 6-1 in Modena, the second game of our six-match Italian tour. Harry ‘Smiler’ Chambers scored a hat-trick, with Harry Beadles bagging a brace and Cyril Gilhespy also on target.

In the Middle East
      1979 - We met the Israeli national side in a friendly, with the game at the Ramat-Gan Stadium ending 3-3. Avi Cohen played for Israel in the first half, before making his first reds appearance after the interval, two months before he actually joined the reds. Jimmy Case converted a penalty with Ray Kennedy and David Fairclough also netting for the reds as we took a three-goal lead.

Tom’s day
      1910 – Half-back Tommy Gardner was born in Huyton. He signed as an amateur from Orrell in July 1928, and then professionally the following April, but played only five reds games before moving on to Grimsby Town in May 1931. He was eventually capped twice for England during his stint at Aston Villa.

Gary Mac for Scotland
      1990 - Gary McAllister won his third Scotland cap, and last one as a Leicester City player, as they lost 2-1 in a friendly in Malta. Gary Gillespie also played in that game.

International bows
      1988 - West Ham United’s Julian Dicks made his debut for England Under-21’s as a substitute in their 1-1 friendly draw with Switzerland in Lausanne.
      2018 – Liam Millar won his first cap for Canada Under-23’s in their goalless draw with Portugal Under-19’s in France.

Souey twice
      1983 - Graeme Souness skippered Scotland as they lost 2-0 to Wales at Ninian Park in the British International Championships. Ex-red Joey Jones was on the winning side.
      1985 - Souness was also captain and was booked as the Scots lost 1-0 to Iceland in a World Cup qualifier in Reykjavik.

2013 – Ex-reds loanee Nuri Şahin captained Turkey in their 3-3 friendly draw with Latvia in Duisburg in Germany.
      2016 – Christian Benteke and Divock Origi faced future red Xherdan Shaqiri as Belgium beat Switzerland 2-1 in a friendly in Geneva, with future reds Nuri Şahin also in international action.

On target in friendlies
      2008 - John Arne Riise netted while winning his final cap as a reds player as Norway were held to a 2-2 draw in Oslo by Uruguay, with future red Luis Suárez also on target. Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard struck in England’s 2-0 defeat of the USA at Wembley, with Peter Crouch, future red Glen Johnson and ex-red David James also featuring and future red Joe Cole winning his fiftieth cap. Ex-red Craig Bellamy reached a half century of caps for Wales as they won 1-0 in Iceland under the management of John Toshack.

2014 – Daniel Agger converted a penalty, his final goal as a reds player, as Denmark beat Sweden 1-0 in Copenhagen. On the same day, Brad Smith featured for England Under-21’s in the Toulon Tournament, while Andrew Robertson won his second and last senior cap while with Dundee United as Scotland drew 2-2 with Nigeria in a friendly at Craven Cottage, with ex-red Victor Moses also in action.
      2012 – Ex-red Andriy Voronin scored as the Ukraine thumped Estonia 4-0 in Austria, with future red Suso playing for Spain Under-19’s on the same day.
      2010 – Ex-red Robbie Keane bagged a brace, including a penalty, as the Republic of Ireland beat Algeria 3-0 in Dublin.

Other reds internationals
      Kenny Dalglish twice represented Scotland on this day over the years.
      1977 - The Scots held Wales to a goalless draw in the British International Championships at the Racecourse Ground. Joey Jones played for the home side.
      1980 - He won his 74th cap as they beat Poland 1-0 in a friendly in Poznan.

Future reds keeper Brad Friedel also twice played for his country on this day, both times in friendlies.
      1994 - He featured as the USA drew 1-1 with Greece in New Haven.
      1995 - They lost 2-1 to Costa Rica in Tampa.

European Cup joy and despair
      2011 – Ex-red Javier Mascherano featured as Barcelona beat Manchester United 3-1 in the UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley.
      1997 - Future red Karl-Heinz Riedle bagged a brace as Ballspielverein Borussia 09 e.V. Dortmund beat favourites Juventus 3-1 to claim the UEFA Champions League in Munich.
      1980 - Two ex-reds faced each other in the European Cup Final in Madrid, with Larry Lloyd’s Nottingham Forest edging out Kevin Keegan’s Hamburger SV 1-0.

On the move again
      2008 – Our former substitute keeper Tony Warner was released by Fulham after 26 appearances for the Cottagers, including both our League meetings in 2005/06.
      2015 - Rafael Benítez resigned as Manager of SSC Napoli, having led them to 59 victories in 112 games in charge, as they claimed the Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana in his first season.

Babb back in England
      2002 - Ex-red Phil Babb joined Sunderland, having recently quit Sporting Clube de Portugal. However, he was unable to keep them in the Premiership in his first season at the Stadium Of Light, making sixty appearances in total.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #311: May 29, 2020 09:35:54 pm

YNWA

35 years on.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #312: May 29, 2020 09:42:08 pm

I was at Heysel on that fateful night, something I will never forget  >:( it was horrible.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #313: May 30, 2020 12:04:54 am
      European Cup Final 1984.

Our No. 4 .

https://youtu.be/FJ9so4Obhnk

I was in Brum with my Caribbean Queen girlfriend. Her on  the floor and the game on TV.  Heaven .

Just too much info !  ;D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020 03:21:19 pm by MIRO »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #314: May 30, 2020 01:14:44 am
      As tragic as Heysel was, losing 39 football fans who went to a match and never returned, we of course have our very own tragedy to contemplate each and every year, the media like to profit from misery, they hardly ever report the true cause of such loss of life or why it happened,

Yes fans ran at the Juve fans but, 1, there was no segregation on that terracing, UEFA, in their stupid wisdom thought it would be a good idea to have a section for neutral fans, supposedly from Belgium, in between the two sets of fans, 2, those supposed neutral fans consisted of lots of Italian immigrants....from Belgium, and tickets for that section bought easily by Juve fans, 3, the day prior to the final there were skirmishes between our lads and Italians, I think two or three of our lads were stabbed & there was footage of a Juve fan brandishing a pistol, in news reports, 3, the Heysel stadium itself was quite literally a f***in ruin, they used scaffolding and chicken wire to segregate fans, it was crumbling and ready for demolition, yet it was used for the biggest club game in a European football,

‘Breeze blocks keep fallin on my head’  was one of the songs sang by our boys prior to KO,

Why UEFA though it a good idea to play that final, knowing that there were deaths is beyond comprehension, I’m glad we never won that final , can you imagine the sh*t we’d have got from other fans, “Scousers Murder Juve fans “ to win European cup, etc,
      I can’t imagine for a minute any of the players being in the right frame of mind to play after what they witnessed, they must have heard there were deaths, that would have filtered thru one way or another .

RIP 39 -  non camminerai mai solo

Y  N  W  A

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #315: May 30, 2020 01:26:30 am
      From lfchistory.net

Glory in Rome again
      1984 - We clinched the European Cup for a fourth time, becoming the first English side to complete a treble, having already claimed the title and League Cup that season. Phil Neal put us ahead after a quarter of an hour with a scrappy goal, but Roberto Pruzzo headed an equaliser for Roma before half-time. The game ended 1-1 after extra-time, and so the cup was to be decided with a penalty shoot-out. Steve Nicol missed our first kick, but his failure was matched by two Italians before Bruce Grobbelaar’s wobbly legs helped put off a third kicker, Ciccio Graziani. Alan Kennedy stepped up to take the decisive spot kick, as we won the big cup right in the heart of the lions’ den. Phil Neal, Graeme Souness, in his 359th and final reds appearance, and Ian Rush had been our other successful penalty takers. This remains our only first-class game on this day in history.

Happy birthday SteG
      1980 - Skipper Steven Gerrard was born in Whiston. He made 710 appearances for the reds in total, notching 186 goals, helping us to claim the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup, two FA Cups, two UEFA Super Cups and three League Cups as well as winning the PFA and Football Writers’ Player of the Year awards once apiece.

1915 – Len Carney was born in Liverpool. He joined the reds from Collegiate Old Boys in 1939, only netting once in six senior games after the war.
      1989 – Former reserves centre-half Mikel San José was born in Pamplona, Spain. He featured on the bench once, joining Athletic de Bilbao in May 2010 after a loan spell.

European Cup Final 1984.

Our No. 4 .

https://youtu.be/FJ9so4Obhnk

I was in Brum with my Caribbean queen girlfriend. Her on  the floor and the game on TV.

Just too much info !  ;D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020 01:36:17 am by sms1986 »
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #316: May 31, 2020 12:28:39 pm
      No European Cups today, we'll have to settle for the 1919 Lancashire Senior Cup. ;D

Edging towards the title
      1947 - We moved to within touching distance of our fifth League title as our 2-1 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers took us one point clear of both Wolves and Manchester United, in our final game of the season. Jack Balmer and Albert Stubbins bagged our goals before the break while Wolves legend Stan Cullis, who had guested for the reds during the war, played his final ever game for the club. Jimmy Dunn scored the first of his four goals past us in the second half. However, we had to wait a further two weeks to know for sure if the title was ours, as fellow championship challengers Stoke City had one final game, which they lost at Sheffield United.

First and last caps
      2000 - Steven Gerrard made his England debut as Kevin Keegan’s side beat the Ukraine 1-0 in a friendly at Wembley thanks to a goal from Robbie Fowler. Emile Heskey won his first cap as a reds player in this game, with future red Nick Barmby and ex-red Steve McManaman also featuring.
      1989 - Future red Stig Inge Bjørnebye won his first cap for Norway as they beat Austria 4-1 in a friendly in Oslo. On the same day, Ian Rush, future reds player Dean Saunders and Assistant Manager Colin Pascoe faced future red Karl-Heinz Riedle in a goalless World Cup qualifier between Wales and West Germany in Cardiff. On the same day, Glenn Hysén won his last cap as a Fiorentina player as Sweden beat Algeria 2-0 in a friendly.
      1994 - Dominic Matteo made his England Under-21’s debut as a substitute in their 3-0 defeat by France in the Toulon Tournament in Aubagne. Fellow reds Robbie Fowler and Jamie Redknapp both also played.

1977 - Kevin Keegan won his final cap as a reds player, skippering England in their 1-0 defeat to Wales in the British International Championships at Wembley. Fellow reds Emlyn Hughes, Joey Jones, Ray Kennedy and Phil Neal all also featured.
      1994 - Ronnie Rosenthal won his last cap as a reds player, and 37th in total, as Israel lost 3-0 to Argentina in a friendly in Tel-Aviv.
      2008 – Future red Andy Carroll won his sixth and final cap for England Under-19’s as they held Belarus to a goalless draw in Minsk, so qualifying for the European Championships Finals.
      2014 – Young defender Ryan McLaughlin made his senior debut for Northern Ireland in their 1-0 friendly defeat in Uruguay. Sebastián Coates, future red Lazar Marković and ex-reds Alberto Aquilani, Carl Medjani and Gabriel Paletta all also represented their countries that day.

Walker’s first steps
      1874 - Inside-right John Walker was born in Coatbridge. He joined the reds from Heart Of Midlothian for £175 in March 1898, playing 120 times and scoring 31 goals, including the decisive final goal of the season to hand us our first League title in 1901. The following year he returned to his native Scotland, moving to Rangers.

Goals galore in the US
      We have twice racked up hefty scores in US tour games on this day.
      1953 - We trounced Toledo All Stars 10-3 with Kevin Baron, Jimmy Payne and Billy Liddell all bagging braces, and Alan A’Court, Bob Paisley and Jack Smith all also on target.
      1946 - We thumped St. Louis All Stars 5-1 in the Walsh Stadium, with Willie Fagan netting twice this time around, and Bob Priday, Jack Balmer and Cyril Done also netting.

A new trophy
      1919 – We claimed the Lancashire Senior Cup, under its temporary tile of the Lancashire Section Subsidiary Competition, as we beat Oldham Athletic 3-0 in the Final at Old Trafford. Harold Wadsworth and John Miller netted either side of a Harry Lewis penalty.

Derby stalemate
      1941 - We drew 2-2 with Everton in a Wartime League game at Anfield with Billy Liddell and Cyril Done on target.

Sal on target
      2003 - Salif Diao netted in Senegal’s 2-1 friendly defeat of Cape Verde in Dakar, with clubmate El-Hadji Diouf also featuring.
      2002 - They both also featured as Senegal beat France 1-0 in the opening game of the World Cup Finals, with future red Djibril Cissé appearing from the bench.

Happy birthday Alan
      1981 - Ex-reserves defender Alan Navarro was born in Liverpool. He never made a first-team appearance for us and moved to Tranmere Rovers for £225,000 in January 2002.

Venison to Turkey
      1995 - Barry Venison joined Galatasaray from Newcastle United for £750,000. He was signed by ex-reds boss Graeme Souness, but only remained in Turkey for five months, playing eight League games.

Mighty Mouse on target
      1976 - Kevin Keegan bagged a brace as England beat Team America 3-1 in the US Bicentennial Tournament in Philadelphia. Ray Clemence and Phil Thompson both also played for England, while ex-red Tommy Smith appeared for the Americans.

On Song again and again
      Rigobert Song has played for Cameroon three times on this day in history.
      2008 – He netted as skipper in their 2-0 defeat of Cape Verde Islands in a World Cup qualifier in Yaoundé. Xabi Alonso, Nabil El Zhar, Fernando Torres and ex-reds Nicolas Anelka and El-Hadji Diouf also represented their countries that day.
      2001 - He was booked in their 2-0 defeat by Brazil in the Confederations Cup in Japan.
      1998 - They won a friendly 2-0 in Luxembourg.

Internationals on target
      2013 – Alberto Aquilani bagged his first strike as a Fiorentina player as Italy beat San Marino 4-0 in a friendly in Bologna, with future red Mario Balotelli also in action, while future red Tiago Ilori played as Portugal Under-20’s beat Belgium Under-21’s 2-0 in a friendly in France.
      2005 - Djibril Cissé struck in France’s 2-1 friendly defeat of Hungary in Metz.
      2004 - He also featured for his country in a 2-0 friendly defeat of Denmark in Lens, with Christian Poulsen winning his final cap as a Schalke 04 player, and future red Philipp Degen also in international action that day.

2005 - Ex-red Michael Owen bagged a treble to become England’s all-time fourth top goalscorer as he struck his final goals as a Real Madrid player. England beat Colombia 3-2 in New Jersey, with Peter Crouch making his senior bow, winning his only cap as a Southampton player. Ex-red David James and future reds Joe Cole and Glen Johnson also played. On the same day, future red Besian Idrizaj played for Austria Under-19’s as they lost 3-2 to Scotland in a European Championships qualifier in Vöcklamarkt.

Management moves
      2005 - Mark Wright was appointed Manager of Peterborough United. He was only in charge until the following January, winning twelve of his 35 games in charge.
      2018 – Former First Team Coach Paco Herrera was appointed Manager of Greek side Aris Thessaloniki, remaining in charge for six months.

Conal on the move
      2006 - Former reserves forward Conal Platt signed for Bournemouth having been released by the reds at the end of the season. He only made one senior appearance for the Cherries and is now playing for Stalybridge Celtic in the Conference North. On the same day, future red Nuri Åžahin played as Turkey beat Saudi Arabia 1-0 in a friendly in Germany.
      2015 - Ex-reserves defender Gareth Roberts signed for Conference North side Stockport County, having been released by Chester.

John a Rover again
      2007 – Future reds goalkeeping coach John Achterberg signed a new two-year playing/coaching contract with Tranmere Rovers. He went on to play 312 times in total for Rovers.

Youngsters in action
      2011 – Five reds featured for England Under-19’s as they beat Montenegro 1-0 in a European Championships qualifier in Switzerland. Andre Wisdom skippered a side that also included Conor Coady, Tom Ince, Michael Ngoo and Jack Robinson, with future red Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain making his debut at this level.
      2017 – Future red Dominic Solanke played as England Under-20’s beat Costa Rica 2-1 in the World Cup Finals in South Korea.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #319: Jun 02, 2020 02:53:36 pm
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #320: Jun 02, 2020 09:04:52 pm

Watched and indulged myself on LFC TV this evening and relived our great tour of Liverpool  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #321: Jun 04, 2020 03:54:54 pm
      James Milner joined us on a free. Probably the best money we ever spent. xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2020 04:00:19 pm by Fourbrick »

Quick Reply