Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

On this day:

Read 97559 times
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Re: On this day:
      Reply #391: May 25, 2021 02:56:34 pm
      25th May 1977 our first European Cup Final in Rome and I was lucky enough to be there with the red and white chequered flags that were so evident that night, seems such a long time ago now but it was our first time winning this special European trophy, the first of 6

25th May 2005 our 5th win in Istanbul and WOW...the greatest of comebacks EVER, we will never forget this night as Stevie led the team to victory after being 3-0  down at half time, oh boy did we celebrate that night !!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #392: May 25, 2021 08:08:23 pm
      25th May 2005 our 5th win in Istanbul and WOW...the greatest of comebacks EVER, we will never forget this night as Stevie led the team to victory after being 3-0  down at half time, oh boy did we celebrate that night !!!

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1397089081759346691

https://twitter.com/TheRedmenTV/status/1397079499578150919
      EarnedIt6Times
      • Forum John Toshack

• 274 posts | 73 
      Reply #393: May 25, 2021 08:16:33 pm
      best European Cup final ever (2005)

best UEFA Cup final ever (2001)

best FA Cup final ever (2006)

That's entertainment
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #394: May 26, 2021 11:07:30 pm
      Today ! Mutants lose to Villarreal in Europa cup final.
      Degea missing the 11th pen 😂

After Ali scores for us as well 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
      « Last Edit: May 26, 2021 11:26:32 pm by GERNS »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #397: May 30, 2021 09:56:48 pm

I still have my Fez which I bring out on CL nights. So many memories over so many years /decades. I couldnt pick just one because guess what there are more to come next season
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #398: May 31, 2021 01:11:45 am
      I still have my Fez which I bring out on CL nights. So many memories over so many years /decades. I couldnt pick just one because guess what there are more to come next season

Interesting point, a load of our fans swerved wearing the fez in Istanbul as it was seen as only being worn by upper class turks back in the day.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #399: May 31, 2021 01:09:36 pm
      Very sad tale about Agostino Di Bartolomei who was the captain of Roma that night. Scored their first penalty in the shootout.
      Anyway, he suffered terribly from depression and tragically took his own life by suicide on the 10 year anniversary of the match.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #400: Jul 04, 2021 01:43:37 pm
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #401: Jul 04, 2021 01:56:22 pm
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #402: Jul 05, 2021 05:17:40 am
      Who could forget that pass from Jan Molby to Ian Rush against Everton in the 1986 F.A.Cup Final against Everton.The commentators were drooling over it.Souness used to say that Jan was the only player he knew who could put on weightwhen playing a match.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #403: Jul 05, 2021 07:45:08 am
      Who could forget that pass from Jan Molby to Ian Rush against Everton in the 1986 F.A.Cup Final against Everton.The commentators were drooling over it.Souness used to say that Jan was the only player he knew who could put on weightwhen playing a match.

Hope you're well Billy.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #404: Jul 05, 2021 08:57:19 am
      Keeping ok higgy and it is a pleasure to hear from you.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #405: Sep 04, 2021 01:04:44 pm
      Gerard Houllier's birthday.

At his brutal best!!

"Ince was the unwitting victim of the most brutal exhibition of management I have seen at Anfield," he says. Liverpool were leading an FA Cup fourth-round tie at Old Trafford 1-0 but, after Ince limped off, United fought back to win 2-1.

"There was a team meeting a week later, and Ince decided, as club captain, it was time to take Houllier on. He questioned training methods and the response was furiously impressive.

"Fixing Ince with a stare, Houllier asked: 'Since the day I arrived, how many five-a-sides have you won? I'll tell you four in six months.'

"Ince was bewildered, as we all were, by Houllier's memory and grasp of detail, and it didn't end there. 'Now perhaps you can explain to the lads what happened to you against United. When my team are 1-0 up at Old Trafford in a cup tie, I don't expect my captain to limp off with an injury. If he has to come off, I expect it to be on a stretcher.'

Allez allez, allez allez Gerard Houllier.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #406: Nov 06, 2021 02:36:49 pm
      'Everybody had written us off' - Liverpool's forgotten night when half-empty Anfield saw something incredible

Liverpool are renowned for famous European fightbacks and one of their most significant took place at Anfield against French side Auxerre 30 years ago today

Liverpool’s famous European fightbacks are the stuff of legend.

The very mentions of 2005’s epic Champions League final in Istanbul against AC Milan and more recently the stupendous semi-final second leg against Barcelona are guaranteed to get Reds fans misty-eyed and waxing lyrical.

The club’s continental pedigree stretches back of course to the mid-1960s when only a series of controversial refereeing decisions against Inter Milan stopped Bill Shankly’s side becoming the first British team to win the European Cup, with six triumphs since then in the ‘Big Cup’ along with three UEFA Cup triumphs firmly establishing Liverpool as England’s pre-eminent force abroad.

Chief among the reasons why JĂźrgen Klopp’s injury-hit side’s astonishing reversal of a three-goal deficit against Barcelona in 2019 is still so revered at Anfield and beyond is the fact that, for all the famous European nights Liverpudlians have been treated to, it was the first time the Reds had overhauled such a heavy first leg loss.         

Indeed before the remarkable conquest of the Catalans, Liverpool had only ever once before pulled back a two-goal first leg deficit and it took place thirty years ago today in front of a half-empty Anfield who created what is still regarded as one of the old ground’s finest and most feral atmospheres.               

The winds of change were beginning to blow tempestuously around L4 in the autumn of 1991

European Cup-winning skipper Graeme Souness had returned to the club the previous April to take over as manager following Kenny Dalglish’s shock resignation in February but, despite that summer bringing in record British signing Dean Saunders from Derby County for £2.9m to bolster the attack along with central defensive team-mate Mark Wright for £2.2m as well as winger Mark Walters from Rangers for £1.5m, Liverpool had suffered a difficult start to a season which ultimately was an indicator of the barren years ahead.

Although Souness’s side began the campaign with a win over Joe Royle’s newly-promoted Oldham Athletic and ended August second in the league table after beating Everton at Anfield, a home defeat to Crystal Palace on 2nd November - the Reds’ third league loss of the campaign already to go along with five draws - left Liverpool in an unfamiliar ninth spot.

1991/92 also marked Liverpool’s return to European competition in the UEFA Cup after the ban imposed following the Heysel disaster in 1985 and the Reds marked their first game back with a handsome 6-1 win at Anfield over Finnish minnows Kuusysi Lahti which saw new striker Saunders bag four as he gradually began to overcome his difficult start.                 

A 1-0 defeat in the second leg to Lahti was mildly embarrassing while not overly concerning but when Liverpool abjectly lost 2-0 in the first leg of their second round tie against Auxerre in France, an already turbulent season seemed headed for yet rockier waters.

Along with a heavy injury list which had already seen key players like John Barnes, Steve Nicol, Mark Wright, and Ronnie Whelan ruled out for significant periods of time, Souness’s options in Europe were further hampered by a new UEFA ruling which permitted only four ‘foreign’ players to be named in a matchday squad, with Scottish, Welsh and Irish players counting as ‘foreign’.

For the return tie against Auxerre, Souness plumped for Bruce Grobbelaar, Jan Molby, Ray Houghton and Ian Rush as his ‘overseas’ quartet and was only able to name four substitutes on the bench instead of five such was the scale of the injury crisis.

Despite the initial excitement over Liverpool’s return to Europe, the lack of confidence in the Reds’ prospects were shown by the paltry crowd of 23,094 which filtered into Anfield the evening after Bonfire Night, numbers perhaps also being affected by live BBC television coverage which imposed an unusual 7.10pm kick off time.

Liverpool’s makeshift side included Kirkby -born midfielder Mike Marsh who had made only a handful of appearances after making his first-team debut in 1989 but was to enjoy, along with fellow Academy graduate Steve McManaman, his breakthrough season at Anfield in Souness’ first full campaign in charge.

Marsh had already made eight starts as well as a number of effective substitute appearances that season and was pressed into service in an unfamiliar role against the French.

â€œIt was peculiar because I played right-back that night, a position I had never played before”, he told the ECHO years later.

“If you ask anyone who attended that game they will tell you that the atmosphere was fantastic.

”There was only just over 23,000 in the ground because the 22,000 who stayed away must’ve seen the first leg on the telly and thought ‘there’s no chance of clawing that back’ because we’d played particularly poorly and Auxerre had played particularly well. So, I don’t think anything was expected of us on the night.

“It was our first year back in European competition and many fans probably thought there was no comeback from the first leg.”

On a blustery cold night, the knowledgeable Liverpool crowd knew they would need a good start having failed three times previously (against Ajax, Nottingham Forest and Widzew Lodz) to overcome a first-leg European deficit of two or more goals and, roared on by a half-empty Anfield which sounded louder than plenty of full houses, they got one.

Just four minutes had gone when Steve McManaman was caught by defender Stephane Mahe as he advanced into the penalty area and Jan Molby stepped up from 12 yards to nervelessly hammer the penalty beyond goalkeeper Bruno Martini to half the deficit and further ignite the atmosphere.

The threat of an away goal making Liverpool’s task even tougher was very real and Grobbelaar was soon called into action to make a point-blank save from Hungarian forward Kalman Kovacs as Auxerre looked to re-establish their command from their first leg.

This was a Liverpool side however clearly intent on responding to the criticism their recent indifferent performances had provoked and just before the half hour mark they levelled the tie with a superb goal from the unlikeliest of sources.

A smart one-two from Houghton and Molby opened up the right side of the Auxerre penalty area and the Irishman’s curled cross to the back post was met by makeshift right-back Marsh who buried a downward header for his first, very timely senior goal in a red shirt.

Molby went close to putting Liverpool in front before half time with a free kick which was tipped over but after the break Liverpool’s momentum perhaps inevitably waned and a tense war of attrition ensued with the Reds trying to pen the French in as they attacked the Spion Kop (the only part of the ground full on the night) and Auxerre causing hearts to leap into throats every time they ventured forward in search of that precious away goal.

Liverpool continued to turn the screw and Walters’ persistent probing down the left drew reward with quarter of an hour of normal time remaining when he induced another foul from harassed right back Frederic Darras that brought a second yellow card from Portuguese referee Carlos Alberto da Silva Valente and saw the French reduced to ten men.

Nick Tanner came perilously close to scoring an own goal inside the last ten minutes which would have ended Liverpool’s hopes when diverting Pascal Vahirua’s cross inches wide of his own goalpost before on 83 minutes the Reds struck the third and killer blow of the night.

Molby seized on a loose Auxerre ball just inside the French half and his first time pass found Walters, whose deft first touch took him beyond the last defenders and clean through on goal with a baying Kop in front of him.

With Martini racing out to close the angle, Walters kept his cool and steadied himself before firing home off the post to put Liverpool ahead at last for the first time in the tie and send those inside Anfield and watching at home wild with delight.

The Reds held out for the final few minutes to record a memorable 3-2 aggregate victory and matchwinner Walters afterwards paid tribute to the hardy 23,000 who’d turned up at Anfield on the night.

"The fans were the vital factor. The noise they created put fear on the faces of the French players.

“You could see it. It was nice for us to give them something to shout about as we have had to take a lot of flak recently.

“We had a dream start with a goal after four minutes and didn't panic when it would have been easy to start pumping the ball upfield. We showed patience and got our reward."

The joy and relief was written all over under-fire manager Souness’s face at the final whistle and his pride at his side’s achievement under such difficult circumstances was evident after the game.

"Considering our injuries and the four foreigners regulation the performance was immense”, he said.

“In terms of the silky football this club is famous for, there wasn't much of that. But in terms of grit, determination and will to win I could not have asked for more.

“Everybody had written us off but we showed this club is made of sterner stuff than some people would have you believe.

“The crowd was superb, we have a young team and they need to know they have the backing of supporters. I feel more tired now than when I was playing on one of the old European nights here."

Liverpool progressed past Austrian side Swarovski Tirol in the next round before being eliminated by Italians Genoa in the quarter-finals but a testing season was to end with silverware when Sunderland were beaten 2-0 in the FA Cup final at Wembley the following May.

That night against Auxerre however went some way to establishing the Reds back on the European stage after six years in the wilderness and set the template for some of the great Anfield nights which would follow.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #407: Jul 26, 2022 01:14:36 pm
      On this day back in 1974 Bob Paisley becomes Liverpool manager. And goes on to become the greatest manager in the history of world football.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #408: Jul 26, 2022 02:03:58 pm
      On this day back in 1974 Bob Paisley becomes Liverpool manager. And goes on to become the greatest manager in the history of world football.

dont think there has been a more accurate statement on this forum than this. Often overlooked by the so called "experts" but his record is never going to be broken nor the manner in which he achieved his success a true Gentleman and Genius. I feel so lucky to have seen most of his era of games.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #409: Jul 26, 2022 05:54:08 pm
      just for Keith's benefit Bob Paisley won twice the trophies his manager at UTD won in the same period and it didnt take Bob 4 years to win his first. I am sure people have heard the Story of Bob picking up Mark Lawrenson from his Hotel in his Cardigan and Slippers . We will never see his like again. He was also instrumental in Kenny's success too.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #410: Jul 27, 2022 03:56:34 pm
      On this day in 1938 Liddellpool was officially born as the great Scot, William Beveridge Liddell, joined our club for a mere ÂŁ200 from Lochgelly Violet. Though a little event called World War II put his debut on hold until 1946.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #411: Jul 28, 2022 12:06:35 pm
      On this day in 1951, Ray Kennedy was born. So happy birthday to one of Liverpool’s all time greats!!!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 

Quick Reply