Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Joao Carlos Teixeira (Liverpool > Porto)

Read 95231 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Joao Carlos Teixeira (Liverpool > Porto)
      Reply #506: Jan 22, 2016 10:05:26 am

We already have Coutinho, Firmino, and Ibe, all of whom are better and clearly more is thought of them. We're clearly looking to sign another winger or attacking midfielder. We've been reliably linked with Sane and Gotze and it we've bid on Teixeira. We have Markovic who Klopp apparently wanted to recall and use - Markovic also adds a tonne of pace. It's also known that Markovic is rated very highly by the club and was considered a massive coup when we signed him. We've Lallana who has been a key player under Klopp and Klopp seems to really like him. Then we've also got the young lads like Ojo, Kent, and Wilson. Keeping him would be a poor thing to do not only from a numbers perspective, but in terms of looking after the young lad. Sell him on the cheap and include a nice big sell on clause and let's move on.

The thing is though, he has the ability to play in the deeper role and be creative from there. There were numerous times in those games against Exeter where he came deep to collect the ball and made something happen. I think I'm clutching at straws that he'll stay though.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #507: Jan 30, 2016 08:32:22 pm
      Thought Tex was very good today. What really impressed me was the amount of times he exploited their midfield, but unfortunately, only to be ignored. How many times in the first and second half did we see him move behind their midfield into space and waiting for that pass to feet? I lost count!!
      Whilst the rest of our midfield were industrial throughout, they struggled to feed balls into our attacking players (Tex especially) which I felt killed off a lot of our attacking play.

Also, he has some upper body strength, doesn't he? He really knows how to protect the ball with his body and is also intelligent enough to draw fouls.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #508: Jan 30, 2016 08:36:58 pm
      Thought Tex was very good today. What really impressed me was the amount of times he exploited their midfield, but unfortunately, only to be ignored. How many times in the first and second half did we see him move behind their midfield into space and waiting for that pass to feet? I lost count!!
      Whilst the rest of our midfield were industrial throughout, they struggled to feed balls into our attacking players (Tex especially) which I felt killed off a lot of our attacking play.

Also, he has some upper body strength, doesn't he? He really knows how to protect the ball with his body and is also intelligent enough to draw fouls.

I thought he was quite powder puff the way he kept going down. There was a moment at the end where Klopp was raging at him to get up.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #509: Jan 30, 2016 08:37:17 pm

Agreed, some people in the match thread calling him too lightweight for the league and I have to disagree.

He's in the mould of a Silva/Ozil neither of which are ever going to win a proper 50/50 shoulder charge but they do have the Aguero/Suarez gene if a little smaller in stature. When they're shielding the ball you either have to foul them or let them have it and the way he uses the ball is extremely intelligent in tight areas.

For me he'd be starting ahead of any of Milner/Lallana/Ibe. He knicks the ball back plenty enough and really is such a composed player on the ball, pair him with Firmino and they'll strike a proper partnership up top, I've no doubt about that at all.

Unlucky not to score but another cracking 90 mins from Tex, well in lad.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #510: Jan 30, 2016 08:48:27 pm
      Yes I'm afraid I can't agree that the kid did enough to force his way into the first team yet. Yes there were touches, yes he has ability, but with his stature and physicality you have to be pretty special to prosper. Luke mentioned Silva and Ozil in the post above, you could probably add in Coutinho too. Yes Tex is "that type" of player, but lets be totally honest here he is not in the same stratosphere in terms of ability. To consistently influence games despite playing against other players who tower above you and completely dominate you physically you've got to be very special indeed. Tex is a good footballer, but he isn't I'm afraid THAT good.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #511: Jan 30, 2016 08:57:57 pm
      I still maintain he is a better ball player than Coutinho, only problem is he doesn't have that experience. Imagine if he had Coutinho's 6-7 seasons at high level under his belt?
      With Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino in our squad, I don't think Klopp will take a gamble and play him on a consistent basis, so... I don't think he'll make it with us , but hopefully, he will stay in one of the strong leagues in Europe with a good footballing team that'll play him on a regular basis.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #512: Jan 30, 2016 09:10:05 pm
      Yes I'm afraid I can't agree that the kid did enough to force his way into the first team yet. Yes there were touches, yes he has ability, but with his stature and physicality you have to be pretty special to prosper. Luke mentioned Silva and Ozil in the post above, you could probably add in Coutinho too. Yes Tex is "that type" of player, but lets be totally honest here he is not in the same stratosphere in terms of ability. To consistently influence games despite playing against other players who tower above you and completely dominate you physically you've got to be very special indeed. Tex is a good footballer, but he isn't I'm afraid THAT good.

Well he nearly scored 2 and nearly had 2 assists against West Ham and he's just emerging so I think you're being very harsh on a lad just breaking through, especially considering the excuses you're willing to accept for Benteke.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #513: Jan 30, 2016 10:00:51 pm
      Well he nearly scored 2 and nearly had 2 assists against West Ham and he's just emerging so I think you're being very harsh on a lad just breaking through, especially considering the excuses you're willing to accept for Benteke.

No mate I'm not being harsh, I personally rate the kid a lot and think he'll end up being a decent player. Tonights game though was a funny one, in many respects it had the look of a practice match or a testimonial about it, and as such the midfielders of both teams were able to play unencumbered by overly officious closing down from the opposition. If I felt there was a good chance that Tex would go to the replay in East London and have a significant impact on the outcome of the game I would agree with you that now is the time to throw him in, but to be totally honest I don't.

I'm afraid that there, were we to play a similar team to the one we played tonight we would get brushed aside with considerable ease. Not unlike how we got brushed aside against them twice in the league, both times with the "senior players in the team" I hear you say, but I do think there's a gap that Tex has yet to breach if he's to break through at the top level. Your Benteke comments are obviously a bit tongue in cheek but irrelevant and little bit silly to be honest, as he's demonstrated on many an occasion that he CAN actually do it, the connundrum in his case is why he can't any more.

It may well be with Tex that he eventually makes it at a top team. He's certainly a far better footballer than Pacheco, Suso or any of that ilk, but my hunch is it'll be at a Norwich or a Derby where he has his formative years. If he's going to break through at the top it'll be in 2/3 years time IMHO, not now. My guess is though if I was putting my neck on the block is that his lack of physicality will eventually mean he's more a Wes Hoolihan than he is a David Silva.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,986 posts | 222 
      Reply #514: Jan 30, 2016 10:35:21 pm

spot on mate, the only thing he needs right now is a run of games on a roll,
      i know its only Brighton BUT you saw what he was all about he was playing every week and was by far the best player almost every week and finished top goal scorer for them b4 he did his leg in
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #515: Jan 30, 2016 10:44:34 pm
      No mate I'm not being harsh, I personally rate the kid a lot and think he'll end up being a decent player. Tonights game though was a funny one, in many respects it had the look of a practice match or a testimonial about it, and as such the midfielders of both teams were able to play unencumbered by overly officious closing down from the opposition. If I felt there was a good chance that Tex would go to the replay in East London and have a significant impact on the outcome of the game I would agree with you that now is the time to throw him in, but to be totally honest I don't.

He was the player that had the most significant impact tonight drawing two good saves out of their keeper and laying on two chances, also nearly put Benteke through 1v1. I'm not sure how much influence you want a lad just breaking into the first team to have, especially after the injuries he's suffered.

I'm afraid that there, were we to play a similar team to the one we played tonight we would get brushed aside with considerable ease. Not unlike how we got brushed aside against them twice in the league, both times with the "senior players in the team" I hear you say, but I do think there's a gap that Tex has yet to breach if he's to break through at the top level. Your Benteke comments are obviously a bit tongue in cheek but irrelevant and little bit silly to be honest, as he's demonstrated on many an occasion that he CAN actually do it, the connundrum in his case is why he can't any more.

Not tongue in cheek at all, look at the impact he made tonight. You're being harsh on a lad breaking into the first team and allowing a lot of excuses for one that should be doing so much more. Check out the number of headers he ran underneath, check out the number of chances he simply ran further and further to the back post. To the point some were saying he was hiding, I don't think that I just think it's his natural instinct that he has to break from. A striker should always look to get in front of the defender otherwise it's the pass doing the work not the striker. As for his attempt to score on either the quality pass by Branners or the far post that he put out for a throw in they were shocking, yet he gets the "low on confidence bye". Well if he was contributing elsewhere I might buy that but he isn't so no he was woeful once again. As for you suggesting he has shown he CAN do things, no he has only shown he CAN score the occasional great goal, but he is far and away from a great goal scorer and has shown enormous amounts of times that he is way below the level we need so far this season.

As for the conundrum of why he can't do any more, go and watch the first 3 minutes of the game again, you keep saying we should whip in crosses we got 4 inside the first 3 minutes that all had quality about them yet Benteke is nowhere to be found. His ability to read the flight of the ball is horrific which can be witnessed again by how he competes for headers, running underneath them time and time again. So the conundrum is for Benteke to solve in his own game play and enough of the "we should get more out of him" because I'm afraid that's just a path that will lead us to complete failure.

It may well be with Tex that he eventually makes it at a top team. He's certainly a far better footballer than Pacheco, Suso or any of that ilk, but my hunch is it'll be at a Norwich or a Derby where he has his formative years. If he's going to break through at the top it'll be in 2/3 years time IMHO, not now. My guess is though if I was putting my neck on the block is that his lack of physicality will eventually mean he's more a Wes Hoolihan than he is a David Silva.

I think he might not make it but judging one of his first 90 minute displays for us in the manner some have saying he's too lightweight etc etc when he put in the most influential performance of all our outfield players is beyond harsh. Go judge Ibe who lost the ball on almost every occasion he touched it or giving Benteke excuses like it's our fault or excusing Lovren missing a clear header that could have cost us going out. Nah not fair at all Mick I think the lad deserves the chance, nowhere am I saying he will be the next Silva, I very much doubt he will make it even in the same ball park as him but when our first team is devoid of actual quality there is certainly space to give this kid a chance after the display he gave today, that's my point.

As for the lightweight comments, he won the ball back a good few times today, won us free-kicks in and around the box on numerous occasions and still managed to out muscle people like Kouyate and Reid who were both boiling over with frustration, so I thought for those reasons he played well.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,167 posts | 6343 
      Reply #516: Jan 30, 2016 10:48:06 pm
      Played well tonight, be interested to see how he fares with our first team players but it's a little bit premature to start talking about him taking a starters spot because he's better than them. He's not quite there yet but wouldn't mind sticking him on ahead of Ibe who in my opinion needs a break, he's been frustrating for awhile now.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,650 posts | 480 
      Reply #517: Jan 31, 2016 04:21:21 am
      Surely can play in place of Ibe or Lallana who have been wasteful in almost every game they play.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 2799 
      Reply #518: Jan 31, 2016 09:46:01 am
      I don't see it if I'm honest, he was decent last night but that's about it.

If we're looking to take Ibe (or any other attacker for that matter) out of the firing line for a bit then it's Ojo I'd be giving that game time too.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #519: Jan 31, 2016 10:33:04 am

As for the conundrum of why he can't do any more, go and watch the first 3 minutes of the game again, you keep saying we should whip in crosses we got 4 inside the first 3 minutes that all had quality about them yet Benteke is nowhere to be found. His ability to read the flight of the ball is horrific which can be witnessed again by how he competes for headers, running underneath them time and time again. So the conundrum is for Benteke to solve in his own game play and enough of the "we should get more out of him" because I'm afraid that's just a path that will lead us to complete failure.

I think he might not make it but judging one of his first 90 minute displays for us in the manner some have saying he's too lightweight etc etc when he put in the most influential performance of all our outfield players is beyond harsh. Go judge Ibe who lost the ball on almost every occasion he touched it or giving Benteke excuses like it's our fault or excusing Lovren missing a clear header that could have cost us going out. Nah not fair at all Mick I think the lad deserves the chance, nowhere am I saying he will be the next Silva, I very much doubt he will make it even in the same ball park as him but when our first team is devoid of actual quality there is certainly space to give this kid a chance after the display he gave today, that's my point.

As for the lightweight comments, he won the ball back a good few times today, won us free-kicks in and around the box on numerous occasions and still managed to out muscle people like Kouyate and Reid who were both boiling over with frustration, so I thought for those reasons he played well.

I don't mate, I'm not sure I've ever said that. Playing to the strengths of a player like Benteke is far more complex than "whipping in crosses", that's why I have to laugh that whenever someone launches it across the penalty area and it goes out for a throw in people scream "where the f*ck was Benteke then?". I laugh because it's laugh-able and betrays a complete lack of understanding about how we can make Benteke difficult to play against.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #520: Jan 31, 2016 02:46:08 pm
      I'd like to see Teixeira get some minutes with the usual suspects that we call our starting XI to see how he looks alongside better players. I thought he had a good game against an under-performing West Ham side.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #521: Jan 31, 2016 02:49:33 pm
      I thought he was quite powder puff the way he kept going down. There was a moment at the end where Klopp was raging at him to get up.

I think  Jürgen likes a bit of meat on his players not as much as Enrique perhaps .
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,986 posts | 222 
      Reply #522: Jan 31, 2016 02:55:46 pm
      He was the player that had the most significant impact tonight drawing two good saves out of their keeper and laying on two chances, also nearly put Benteke through 1v1. I'm not sure how much influence you want a lad just breaking into the first team to have, especially after the injuries he's suffered.

Not tongue in cheek at all, look at the impact he made tonight. You're being harsh on a lad breaking into the first team and allowing a lot of excuses for one that should be doing so much more. Check out the number of headers he ran underneath, check out the number of chances he simply ran further and further to the back post. To the point some were saying he was hiding, I don't think that I just think it's his natural instinct that he has to break from. A striker should always look to get in front of the defender otherwise it's the pass doing the work not the striker. As for his attempt to score on either the quality pass by Branners or the far post that he put out for a throw in they were shocking, yet he gets the "low on confidence bye". Well if he was contributing elsewhere I might buy that but he isn't so no he was woeful once again. As for you suggesting he has shown he CAN do things, no he has only shown he CAN score the occasional great goal, but he is far and away from a great goal scorer and has shown enormous amounts of times that he is way below the level we need so far this season.

spot on mate
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #523: Jan 31, 2016 08:37:22 pm
      I still maintain he is a better ball player than Coutinho, only problem is he doesn't have that experience. Imagine if he had Coutinho's 6-7 seasons at high level under his belt?
      With Coutinho, Lallana and Firmino in our squad, I don't think Klopp will take a gamble and play him on a consistent basis, so... I don't think he'll make it with us , but hopefully, he will stay in one of the strong leagues in Europe with a good footballing team that'll play him on a regular basis.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. There isn't an area of his game where Coutinho isn't significantly better. The much maligned Lallana is significantly better at almost everything too. If he had Coutinho's 6-7 seasons at a high level under his belt, he'd be 29.

Yeah, I agree. He did no where near enough. At 23 years old, he needs to be bossing games if he wants to break into the first team regularly. He hasn't done that in any of his appearances.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,479 posts | 231 
      Reply #524: Jan 31, 2016 08:42:00 pm
      Agreed, some people in the match thread calling him too lightweight for the league and I have to disagree.

He's in the mould of a Silva/Ozil neither of which are ever going to win a proper 50/50 shoulder charge but they do have the Aguero/Suarez gene if a little smaller in stature. When they're shielding the ball you either have to foul them or let them have it and the way he uses the ball is extremely intelligent in tight areas.

For me he'd be starting ahead of any of Milner/Lallana/Ibe. He knicks the ball back plenty enough and really is such a composed player on the ball, pair him with Firmino and they'll strike a proper partnership up top, I've no doubt about that at all.

Unlucky not to score but another cracking 90 mins from Tex, well in lad.

The problem is Silva and Ozil were far better when they were 23 than Tex is today. Both lighting up Europe. I think the boat has sailed, if he was that good, he would have more games under Brendan (who was happy to bring youth into the team)
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #525: Jan 31, 2016 09:03:01 pm
      The problem is Silva and Ozil were far better when they were 23 than Tex is today. Both lighting up Europe. I think the boat has sailed, if he was that good, he would have more games under Brendan (who was happy to bring youth into the team)
      I disagree, Brendan didn't give him a chance, just like Suso, he was loaned out when we could have being doing with them in the squad!
      Teixiera is as good as Coutinho IMO, and will prove it if he's given the chance.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #526: Jan 31, 2016 09:09:00 pm
      I disagree, Brendan didn't give him a chance, just like Suso, he was loaned out when we could have being doing with them in the squad!
      Teixiera is as good as Coutinho IMO, and will prove it if he's given the chance.

What's Suso up to now? He's tearing up Serie A isn't he? Oh wait, that's right, he's not. Suso apparently had attitude problems and he was no where near as good as we built him up to be.

You surely did not type out the sentence "Teixeira is as good as Coutinho." Surely that cannot have just happened. There have to be words missing from that sentence or my eyes must be going. Teixeira, a player who has only ever played a full season at championship level, is as good as Coutinho, a nominee for player of the year last year and someone who has been excellent for us since arriving from Inter?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #527: Jan 31, 2016 09:15:06 pm
      Yes surely Orchard must mean "can become as good as Coutinho" or something. Even that is IMHO extremely, out of left field optimistic, but to say he's as good as the Brazilian as of now is bonkers.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #528: Jan 31, 2016 09:18:07 pm

Agree but Tex does have the fact that he joined us with a back problem that required a year out the game. I think he spent a large portion of that basically in a brace. So I think with that in mind he deserves a little extra patience to develop and now is that time, he's starting to break into the first team and we'll get to see if he's good enough.

Like you, Mick and probably the majority I think he probably wont turn out to be good enough but he is also not that far off that he should be cast aside either. That is even more the case when the people he's competing with for first team minutes are performing so poorly.

For instance would you prefer to keep Lallana or Ibe in the side at the expense of Teixeira, right now I'd prefer to shift someone else wide and let Tex have a go. He looks to be able to unlock defences and that's what we're missing, certainly a better deputy for Coutinho than either of those.

Like I said, I'm not claiming he's the next Silva or Ozil but he shows enough promise to be given a few more chances and as we know Jürgen was furious with Brendan's decision not to include him in the Europa League squad as that would have been perfect.

Quick Reply