Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the match?

Reina
      (3.6%)
      Johnson
      (16.9%)
      Agger
      (1.2%)
      Skrtel
      (21.7%)
      Kelly
      (4.8%)
      Adam
      (0%)
      Spearing
      (2.4%)
      Gerrard
      (18.1%)
      Kuyt
      (0%)
      Bellamy
      (3.6%)
      Carroll
      (26.5%)
      Suarez
      (1.2%)

Liverpool 0-0 Tottenham: In game and post match Deja Vu.

Read 45565 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: Liverpool 0:0 Tottenham. Live and post match Deja Vu.
      Reply #759: Feb 07, 2012 08:17:44 am
      We were too slow in our movements. We played too much passing game and plyed a more backward passing rather than pushing up forward. Correct that we controlled this game but we're leeting our opponent to regroup everytime we're launching an attack just because we played too much of a pass. Just when you thought we're creating something with our attack, they backtracked and passed it back to ward our defenders. We totally got Spurs under our control but yet we seldom tried pushing them deep into their own half. We succeeded in neutralizing their attack by isolating Adebayor from any good passing movements, we succeeded in making Modric nothing more than just a mere passenger, but we also succeeded making them more compact as a unit with our inability to play with pace and intensity. We got some chances but that's it. We seldom test Friedel. Our movement were basically more in our own half and in front of the box.

I'm not trying to sound negative. I still believe this team has the potential to push further, but our style of play is pressing us back. But overall, it's good to see that we are showing commitment and Carroll is finally making an impact.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,939 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #760: Feb 07, 2012 08:22:34 am
      I'm no longer a ref because frankly the effort to reward ratio of trying to reply to accusations of "oh you know the rules and regulations but not the game" wasn't worth it.  Note: not saying you've done such a thing but it's the tongue in cheek truth.  (preferred to focus on learning about coaching more, time is finite and I'd prefer to allow 20 hours towards learning about coaching rather than 19 hours and 1 hour reffing if you catch my drift.)

More important than "knowing the game" (or as I like to call it, a synonym for allowing terrible refereeing standards in this league) is the ability to justify WHY you made your decisions.

So re: the Suarez kick, it was accidental and Parker in your opinion absolutely made the most of it (and seeing as you're playing ref in this scenario, we are working under the assumption that your decision is correct).

The ref gave Suarez a yellow for seemingly nothing (or as you described it, 'an accident') but didn't award Parker anything for simulation, yet today ref Michael Oliver made a fair decision?  Why/How is that so?

re: Skrtel tackle, it was impeccably timed and I applauded it at the time but if you don't believe that Skrtel could have very easily snapped Bale's leg* had the challenge been a few inches/milliseconds later/earlier, you probably be best learning the rules and regulations instead of the game because the laws are in place to prevent broken legs before they happen

Now obviously, it's a contact sport and even breaks/injuries etc can result from 100% fair/legal challenges, but I think we can all agree the safety of everyone involved with the sport is paramount or at least it should be.

*(don't get me wrong I was hoping this would happen, but I know when to flick the switch between fan, referee, player, coach etc. which to me screams of rationality, something I was accused of not having because I was just following the laws and regulations instead of using common sense and just generally 'knowing the game' - if the irony's not lost on you, I'll point it out: you're complaining that there's no wiggle room for interpretation of the laws of the game when in reality, it's because there's too much wiggle room you're getting frustrated at them).

Now I'm glad Michael Oliver had a good game by using his "interpretation" instead of just blindly following the rules.  He did follow the rules perfectly by using his "interpretation" but had I made different decisions using my interpretation you'd bleat I was following the rules and not using common sense/interpretation etc. which are implicitly part of the laws of the game?

Do you see the problem here, your argument is a circle.  Me being able to see the big picture is probably what makes me such a fantastic ref but an utter c**t of a human.

just to be clear and so I'm not being accused of bias: Bale would have also been off for me as well (yellow for simulation, yellow for getting in Agger's face over it, two yellows = red).  Parker too etc.

Great post +
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #761: Feb 07, 2012 09:12:37 am
      We played well last night. Think the overall thing lacking for me was a few decent final balls. We controlled the game but in the final third were so wasteful. Too many crosses hit the first man and with a man like Carroll in the box we should be looking to get decent balls in. For an 'out and out winger' Downing seems to lack a number of attributes. I think we still need a wide man who can beat someone and whip a decent ball in. As others have said, maybe give Johnson a go in front of Kelly and see what happens?

A few players more than others are wasteful on the ball, mainly Spearing and Kuyt. I don't think we can afford both these two in the team together.

Everyone played well though and put the effort in, Carroll never stopped running which was good to see as I'm sure the goals will follow for him. We didn't look in danger of losing a goal and I couldn't believe it when Bale got clean through. Thank god he bottled it and Pepe sorted it out.

Final point. Sick and tired of reading of players f**king 'tweeting'. Mainly they're stupid, brainless mancs and the even more brainless joey barton. Even more annoying is the media attention given to the opinions of these tw*ts that probably can only just use their keyboard or phone as it is

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #762: Feb 07, 2012 09:16:48 am
      I really rate the ref, he is a real breath of fresh air in the premiership.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #763: Feb 07, 2012 09:23:23 am
      The ref is superb. I've seen him a few times and he calculates his decisions very well.

He never falls for play acting and he makes his decision on his own merits (and not what the crowd are shouting for). He is extremely fair.

Suarez was not a red card. If you see it in slow motion, he pushes Parker out of the way and keeps his eye on the ball whilst it drops. Had Parker not been in the way, he would have probably skimmed the ball with his boot. A yellow card - but nothing more. His reaction straight after was off remorse and he apologised and looked justified doing so.

If you hark back to the game against Exeter, he caught someone in a tackle which left the player down for a bit. Suarez looked concerned for a good five minutes later and showed real concern.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #764: Feb 07, 2012 09:33:58 am
      Suarez was not a red card. If you see it in slow motion, he pushes Parker out of the way and keeps his eye on the ball whilst it drops. Had Parker not been in the way, he would have probably skimmed the ball with his boot. A yellow card - but nothing more. His reaction straight after was off remorse and he apologised and looked justified doing so.
      Not convinced, if you watch the reply, he clearly looks at Parker just before he kicks out. It may have been an instinctive reaction, but I fear the vultures may make a meal of this.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #765: Feb 07, 2012 09:41:31 am
      Its a shame that suarez's accidental kick on parker never resulted in picking up parker from the back of the net.

We played well but our final third let us down,still in the mix so no worries.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #766: Feb 07, 2012 09:51:36 am
      Il get slated for this but how and ever. Suarez kick was deliberated in my eyes. He kicked parker when the ball was on his head if parker wasnt there hed be swinging at thin air and we no he has better technique than that. Also he looks at the ball then parker then swings his boot. Think luis is very silly sometimes but i love him. Thankfully he didnt get a red. Of course he was apologetic after it he didnt want to get sent off. Im all for defending our players but sometimes the rose tinted glass have to come off. If it was the other way around wed be calling for blood. It was a red
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #767: Feb 07, 2012 09:55:42 am
      Managed to get to the game last night, thought it was really enjoyable despite the cold weather and our obvious lack of finishing which must improve if we are to challenge for a top 4 place. Skrtel played well keeping tabs on Bale. It was nice to see Suarez back in the side, despite picking up a booking after only a few minutes on the pitch.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      Reply #768: Feb 07, 2012 09:59:32 am
      Il get slated for this but how and ever. Suarez kick was deliberated in my eyes. He kicked parker when the ball was on his head if parker wasnt there hed be swinging at thin air and we no he has better technique than that. Also he looks at the ball then parker then swings his boot. Think luis is very silly sometimes but i love him. Thankfully he didnt get a red. Of course he was apologetic after it he didnt want to get sent off. Im all for defending our players but sometimes the rose tinted glass have to come off. If it was the other way around wed be calling for blood. It was a red
      Agree with this 100%, that's exactly how I saw it.

Sometimes Luis is his own worst enemy.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,939 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #769: Feb 07, 2012 10:11:14 am
      Agree with this 100%, that's exactly how I saw it.

Sometimes Luis is his own worst enemy.

Are you sure? I agree with you but get called a WUM in  disguised by Paisleydalglish.  ;D

Maybe some of you Liverpool fans are secret United fans in disguised. Or maybe your just being honest with your opinion and don't wear rose tinted glasses.  ;)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #770: Feb 07, 2012 10:14:55 am
      Quote from Al1892
      Il get slated for this but how and ever. Suarez kick was deliberated in my eyes.

Wrong. He may have his faults, but he's not going to deliberately injure someone 5 minutes after a lengthy ban.

If it was the other way around wed be calling for blood. It was a red

Most people would recognise it wasn't.

But it looks like some of us don't need the media to lead the anti-Suarez witchhunt.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #771: Feb 07, 2012 10:21:28 am
      Are you sure? I agree with you but get called a WUM in  disguised by Paisleydalglish.  ;D

Maybe some of you Liverpool fans are secret United fans in disguised. Or maybe your just being honest with your opinion and don't wear rose tinted glasses.  ;)

It's nothing to do with that Keith, I can take/understand any Liverpool fan having a go at one of our own or having a negative view on an incident because deep down its meant with good meaning and often constructive.

Coming from a fan of a different club I can't see it that way.

You may not feel you are a wind up merchant, but I just honestly don't get why you would be here even if you often make good points and are a knowledgable football fan if not to plant little comments aimed to have a dig.

Personally I need to look at the Suarez incident again before passing any judgement because for me live it just looked like a striker attempting to score even if it was a clumsy attempt but I will watch it again. Slow any incident down and it looks worse..
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #772: Feb 07, 2012 10:28:20 am

Maybe some of you Liverpool fans are secret United fans in disguised . Or maybe your just being honest with your opinion and don't wear rose tinted glasses.  ;)

Here for one reason and one reason only, to wind people up.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      Reply #773: Feb 07, 2012 10:29:22 am
      Lfc across the water. I am not leading any witch hunt a fully support suarez but the kick looks deliberate to me. He is a topclass player he wouldnt miss time a volley that bad by swingin while its still 6 foot in the air. He didnt get sent off so happy days. I just hope he learns to control his aggression.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,490 posts | 1490 
      Reply #774: Feb 07, 2012 10:36:38 am

I call it like it is.

I think it was a combination of frustration because of what's gone on before, and nervousness due him not playing since Christmas. Oh, and rusty. A player of Suarez' calibre does not air kick a ball that's up around someone's head. It was a rush of blood, one which he instantly regretted.

My point being, he hasn't done this because he's evil.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #775: Feb 07, 2012 10:39:54 am
       If it WAS deliberate, so what exactly? To my mind, we'd have to get away with quite a few before the scores would be even. Suarez is just back from an eight game ban for doing absolutely f*ck all wrong (and if you don't believe me show me the evidence). We got Spearing sent off at Fulham earlier this season for absolutely f*ck all which cost us the game. We got Gerrard sent off in the cup and Man U last season for f*ck all, after having conceded a penalty in the same game for f*ck all. The Mancs are off the back of having four penalties in two matches (which is surely a record), two penalties AWAY in the same match to a top four rival (which is surely a first) and get away with f*cking murder every week.

So don't expect any apologies or hand wringing from me. The referee saw the incident and booked Suarez, that'll do for me. I'm used to getting f*ck all off referees and offialdom in general, if they slipped up this time and gave us a bit of a result, so what?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #776: Feb 07, 2012 10:41:33 am
      No MOTM poll?

I'd like to get my vote in for Carroll for the first time this season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,939 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #777: Feb 07, 2012 10:42:31 am

Here for one reason and one reason only, to wind people up.

You disguise wum with banter. get over it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,939 posts | 2706 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #778: Feb 07, 2012 10:44:34 am
      I call it like it is.

I think it was a combination of frustration because of what's gone on before, and nervousness due him not playing since Christmas. Oh, and rusty. A player of Suarez' calibre does not air kick a ball that's up around someone's head. It was a rush of blood, one which he instantly regretted.

My point being, he hasn't done this because he's evil.

Point taken Rush. Rusty sounds like the perfect word for what happened to be honest. However, you know as well as i do that shouldn't stop the letter of the law being applied.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts | 60 
      Reply #779: Feb 07, 2012 10:49:49 am
      Tough match,as has been said,played well enough to win,just not clinical enough in front of goal,a Fowler in his prime would have buried the header Suarez had,and a Rush in his prime would have drilled Carrolls chance into the net,just not good enough,in fairness to Suarez first game back, but he's had plenty of time to sharpen up his finishing skills.Had a look at the Parker incident,and as has been said,the ball is 6ft away when he swings his leg and he is looking at Parker not the ball,he's kicked him out of frustration when he realizes he's got no chance of getting his shot off,and for that he needs his head examining,considering all the support he has had.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      Reply #780: Feb 07, 2012 10:51:39 am
      Exactly big mick wev had enough crap against us we deserve to get away with a few. He didn get sent off so we move on and hope he cathes evra in the head saturday
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #781: Feb 07, 2012 10:52:36 am

Thank **** for the ref being sensible - it wasn't a red card IMHO but it could easily have been given  - imagine the headlines for Suarez being banned within minutes of coming back.

maybe 'Arry is the new Wenger  - crap tactically but has enough pace and quality players to mount a challenge.

Quick Reply