Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Blu Ray Player Problems

Read 1703 times
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Blu Ray Player Problems
      Feb 05, 2012 11:01:48 pm
      I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice with regards to a problem I'm having with my Bluray player.

Basically, I have a Samsung bluray player that has been working fine, until one day it started playing up. The problem is that it plays Bluray discs fine until about halfway through and then freezes and it does this with every Bluray disc. I have tried a lens cleaner but, this hasn't solved the problem.

The annoying thing is though, it plays regular DVDs and CDs absolutely fine from start to finish.

The player has not been used excessively and has been well looked after, as it wasn't cheap at the time. Do I call it a day and buy a new one or does anybody have any possible solutions. I wouldn't see the point of sending it off to be repaired as it's out of guarantee and I could probably buy a new one for more or less the cost of having it fixed.

Seems a shame to have to bin it though as apart from this problem, it's in immaculate condition (even though it won't perform it's main function, if that makes sense?)

All suggestions gratefully welcome.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Blu Ray Player Problems
      Reply #1: Feb 05, 2012 11:05:47 pm
      I'm no expert, but are Blu Ray Discs the same as DVD's in that they are dual layered?

If so it sounds as if it can not read the second layer.

I think you may need to have it looked at.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #2: Feb 06, 2012 12:29:09 am
      I'm no expert, but are Blu Ray Discs the same as DVD's in that they are dual layered?
      Not sure mate but, it plays dual layered DVDs fine.

If I remember correctly, I think it reads the Bluray discs with a different lens or laser beam than regular DVDs and CDs, so I think that's probably where the problem lies. I just can't figure out why it would read half of the Bluray discs fine but, then freeze.

Am just clutching at straws really, hoping that someone has a possible solution before I go and buy a new one (which I can't really afford to do right now). They have come down a lot in price since I bought it and knowing the cost of repairs over here, I would probably pay not much more, if anything, for a new one.

Looks like I'll have to start whoring myself if I can't fix it  :f_wah:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Feb 06, 2012 12:34:18 am
      You could try ringing Samsung to see if they are aware of any issues or fixes.

Good Luck.

Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #4: Feb 06, 2012 12:35:57 am
      You could try ringing Samsung to see if they are aware of any issues or fixes.

Good Luck.
      Thanks mate.

Never thought of ringing Samsung. I suppose it's worth ago.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #5: Feb 06, 2012 04:44:50 pm
      Does it need a firmware update? My old Samsung one used to take 20 minutes to load a Blu Ray, rung them up and they told me how to update it, should also mention it in the manual. It involves downloading it from the internet, I used a USB stick but I think there is also a way to do it via Ethernet cable, depends on your model I guess.

Quick Reply