Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Rep of Ireland, Euro 2012

Read 3100 times
      LFCIreland
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 40 posts |
      Rep of Ireland, Euro 2012
      Feb 08, 2012 11:50:30 pm
      Hey Liverpool fans.  This is my first time to create a thread on this forum go easy on me, There are thousands of Liverpool fans in Ireland and even more people from Liverpool with strong Irish family connections. I am from Dublin myself and we are very excited over here about Euro 2012 as it is our 1st time to qualify for a major tournament in 10 years. This comes at a great time for Ireland as we have never had so many quality players to choose from, We have real dept in the squad now. Some top young players and new names emerging all the time. Selecting our squad for the tournament will be a tough task for our management team of Trapattoni and Tardelli,

Right now our starting line up is

Given

Kelly    Dunne       St Ledger   Ward

Andrews      Whelan
                                                                                                  Duff                                       McGeady

Doyle      Keane

But we have so many options now that we didn't have a few years ago.  Players like James McCarthy (Wigan). Seamus Coleman ( Everton). Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa). Shane Long (WBA).  Anthony Stokes (Celtic). Leon Best (Newcastle).  John Walters (Stoke) We have player who have emerged in the last few mounts that have to be considered. Like  James McClean (Sunderland). Anthony Pilkington. (Norwich) and Wes Hoolahan ( Norwich) and Robbie Brady( Hull City). Other players like Shea Given, John O'Shea and Darron Gibson have made good move for their Ireland careers. Moving away from Manchester to Aston Vila, Sunderland and Everton where they will get the games they need to be sharp for Ireland.

Everything really seem to be coming together at the right time for us, We have been drawn into the Group of Death at the Euros with Spain. Italy and Croatia. But the team will give it their all. Not a single critic will give us a chance. But that's when Ireland are at their best. We love being the underdog, We may not have the individual quality of Spain. But they better be ready for a battle. Because Ireland is the most vicious underdog in world football, If any team comes up against us thinking they will just walk away with a win. They have another thing coming.

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Rep of Ireland, Euro 2012
      Reply #1: Feb 09, 2012 04:26:54 am
      Yes you will have 0 points.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8460 
      Reply #2: Feb 09, 2012 04:29:55 am
      Because Ireland is the most vicious underdog in world football

I hear Spain are bricking it!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #3: Feb 09, 2012 05:29:44 am
      Quote from LFCIreland
      Hey Liverpool fans.  This is my first time to create a thread on this forum go easy on me, There are thousands of Liverpool fans in Ireland and even more people from Liverpool with strong Irish family connections. I am from Dublin myself and we are very excited over here about Euro 2012 as it is our 1st time to qualify for a major tournament in 10 years. This comes at a great time for Ireland as we have never had so many quality players to choose from, We have real dept in the squad now. Some top young players and new names emerging all the time.

But we have so many options now that we didn't have a few years ago.  Everything really seem to be coming together at the right time for us, We have been drawn into the Group of Death at the Euros with Spain. Italy and Croatia. But the team will give it their all. Not a single critic will give us a chance. But that's when Ireland are at their best. We love being the underdog, We may not have the individual quality of Spain. But they better be ready for a battle. Because Ireland is the most vicious underdog in world football, If any team comes up against us thinking they will just walk away with a win. They have another thing coming.

Ok, reality check.

The players mentioned above are average at best, and most of them play for average teams. The opposition have players playing for the best clubs in the world, so it's going to be a very difficult group to get out of. It's never great to be the underdog as you are expected to lose, and it does happen in most cases. Hence why Ireland haven't qualified for a tournament in 10 years.

Trappattoni is not going to consider players coming through at this time, the players that qualified for the Championships are the ones he will stick with, as is common practice amongst all coaches at tournament finals. He does have a fine record, having lost just two competitive games since taking over. But the group is very competitive, and Ireland could be in the shakeup for quarters, or go home without a point, it could go either way.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4: Feb 09, 2012 08:30:18 am
      Ok, reality check.

The players mentioned above are average at best, and most of them play for average teams. The opposition have players playing for the best clubs in the world, so it's going to be a very difficult group to get out of. It's never great to be the underdog as you are expected to lose, and it does happen in most cases. Hence why Ireland haven't qualified for a tournament in 10 years.

Trappattoni is not going to consider players coming through at this time, the players that qualified for the Championships are the ones he will stick with, as is common practice amongst all coaches at tournament finals. He does have a fine record, having lost just two competitive games since taking over. But the group is very competitive, and Ireland could be in the shakeup for quarters, or go home without a point, it could go either way.

What they could do though lad is get you in as motivational speaker for the lads for the summer  :depressed:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Feb 09, 2012 08:59:42 am
      This comes at a great time for Ireland as we have never had so many quality players to choose from, We have real dept in the squad now.

Really? How old are you? We had far far stronger squads from 88 to 96 for a start.

We play horrible football based on not conceeding, and to be fair we dont concede many. Well lose 2 Spain and have 2 valiant efforts against the other 2 and everyone will be delighted!

Annoying part is if our best 11 were picked and let play football then we just might cause a stir
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #6: Feb 09, 2012 09:20:04 am
      Ireland play to the team's strengths, and it has got the team from 10 points off qualifying the last time to the finals now. Playing other ways in the past 20 years failed repeatedly, and usually with better quality squads available. At the end of the day, results pay the bills, how you get them (when you get them) is immaterial.   
      « Last Edit: Feb 09, 2012 10:01:15 am by lfc across the water »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Feb 09, 2012 12:44:33 pm

Your opinion

Mine is we have the players to play a far more expansive game. You telling me seriosly you would play Glen Whelan ahead of young McCarthy in midfild? Theres a heap of players playing well in the premier league who arent in tha side becasue trapatoni has "his boys"

The 22 or 23 who go to the Euros wont be Irelands best possible 22 or 23
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Feb 09, 2012 07:35:31 pm
      Right now our starting line up is

Given

Kelly    Dunne       St Ledger   Ward

Andrews      Whelan
                                                                                                  Duff                                       McGeady

Doyle      Keane

But we have so many options now that we didn't have a few years ago.  Players like James McCarthy (Wigan). Seamus Coleman ( Everton). Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa). Shane Long (WBA).  Anthony Stokes (Celtic). Leon Best (Newcastle).  John Walters (Stoke) We have player who have emerged in the last few mounts that have to be considered. Like  James McClean (Sunderland). Anthony Pilkington. (Norwich) and Wes Hoolahan ( Norwich) and Robbie Brady( Hull City). Other players like Shea Given, John O'Shea and Darron Gibson have made good move for their Ireland careers. Moving away from Manchester to Aston Vila, Sunderland and Everton where they will get the games they need to be sharp for Ireland.
      With a squad like that I can't see why you can't win the thing.  :-\

But they better be ready for a battle. Because Ireland is the most vicious underdog in world football, If any team comes up against us thinking they will just walk away with a win. They have another thing coming.
      Just out of curiosity; what big teams have you been underdogs against and beaten in the last ten years? Not being 'funny' I just can't be arsed checking.
      LFCIreland
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 40 posts |
      Reply #9: Feb 09, 2012 07:58:59 pm
      Well unlike so-called English supporters. Irish fans actually get behind our national team instead of slating and ridiculing them when they don't win. England will be beaten by the 1st decent side they meet aswell. But our fans will support our players instead of doing what  fair weather England fans do and go to the stadium too boo their players.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #10: Feb 09, 2012 08:06:25 pm
      Quote from Brian78
      Mine is we have the players to play a far more expansive game. You telling me seriosly you would play Glen Whelan ahead of young McCarthy in midfild? Theres a heap of players playing well in the premier league who arent in tha side becasue trapatoni has "his boys"

McCarthy is an average player playing at an average club, same goes for most of the others.

When you don't have that much technical ability, you have to get the most out of limited ability. If Ireland play open, expansive football against Spain and Italy, Spain and Italy will walk through them, as their players are superior in every department. Germany tried to take on Spain with free-flowing football in the last two tournaments, and lost both times. Instead an average, workmanlike group of players from Switzerland beat them, playing conservative football. The result is everything at the summit of the world game. You don't have to be that pretty to be effective.
      LFCIreland
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 40 posts |
      Reply #11: Feb 09, 2012 08:16:12 pm
      With a squad like that I can't see why you can't win the thing.  :-\
      Just out of curiosity; what big teams have you been underdogs against and beaten in the last ten years? Not being 'funny' I just can't be arsed checking.
      Beat Germany, Russia, Holland, Portugal, Italy, Draws against Spain, Brazil, France and Italy.
      LFCIreland
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 40 posts |
      Reply #12: Feb 09, 2012 08:23:41 pm
      Elo Ratings has Ireland at the 20th best team in the world. 12th best team in Europe. We are worth our place in any major tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8460 
      Reply #13: Feb 09, 2012 09:41:56 pm
      McCarthy is an average player playing at an average club, same goes for most of the others.

Can't be that average, seeing as Kenny has being keeping a close eye on him!
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Feb 09, 2012 10:51:21 pm
      Well unlike so-called English supporters. Irish fans actually get behind our national team instead of slating and ridiculing them when they don't win. England will be beaten by the 1st decent side they meet aswell. But our fans will support our players instead of doing what  fair weather England fans do and go to the stadium too boo their players.

I am not English I am Croatian.

So don't give a sh*t about England or Ireland for that matter.
      Bier
      Reply #15: Feb 09, 2012 10:55:47 pm
      Can't say I'm impressed with that team, I'd be very surprised if Ireland gets passed the group stage.

But I am looking forward to Euro 2012.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #16: Feb 09, 2012 10:58:18 pm
      McClean should be a nailed on starter!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #17: Feb 09, 2012 11:09:01 pm
      [
      How far back are you going with these 2 results? We drew nil all a few years ago with Germany in Dublin and lost 1 nil over there. Last Dutch game I remember was a 4 nil twatting. Not saying your wrong I just cant remember those wins recently
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #18: Feb 09, 2012 11:13:58 pm

In all fairness I think that's a bit harsh

I take it you don't even watch Irish games, so it's unfair to comment. Which is why I won't comment on Croatia's chances either.
      LFCIreland
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 40 posts |
      Reply #19: Feb 09, 2012 11:32:50 pm
      I am not English I am Croatian.

So don't give a sh*t about England or Ireland for that matter.
      Ireland will start off by beating your country.
      LFCIreland
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 40 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 09, 2012 11:36:38 pm
      In all fairness I think that's a bit harsh

I take it you don't even watch Irish games, so it's unfair to comment. Which is why I won't comment on Croatia's chances either.
      I think we can get 4 points from the group. a win,a draw and a loss.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8460 
      Reply #21: Feb 10, 2012 03:37:58 am
      Ireland will start off by beating your country.

I think we can get 4 points from the group. a win,a draw and a loss.

What's with all this international talk.

We're Scouse, F**k everyone else!!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Feb 10, 2012 09:58:22 am
      Beat Germany, Russia, Holland, Portugal, Italy,

Wow.

Quick Reply