Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Man Utd fan Howard Hobson, 57, guilty of racially abusing Kenwyne Jones

Read 2471 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Man Utd fan Howard Hobson, 57, guilty of racially abusing Kenwyne Jones
      Feb 08, 2012 10:26:02 pm
      Thought this might have slipped under the radar.

Man United fan fined £200 for racist chant and monkey noises during game

A Manchester United fan who hurled racist abuse at a black player was today fined £200 and banned from football matches for three years.

Howard Hobson, 57, shouted: "You f*****g w**! You f*****g n*****!" and made monkey noises at Stoke City's Trinidad-born player Kenwyne Jones.

Hobson was in the North Stand at Old Trafford for the game against Stoke on January 31, Trafford Magistrates Court heard.

The defendant was asked to explain his actions after pleading guilty to a single charge of a racially aggravated public order offence.

'I'm not racist,' he told the bench.

'I have coloured people in my family and most of my best mates are coloured. I don't know what came over me. I'm deeply sorry.'

Eileen Rogers, prosecuting, told the court Hobson's behaviour was brought to the attention of club stewards at the match by a witness sitting near the defendant.

'The match started - sitting a short distance away, he heard words being uttered,' Ms Rogers said.

'During the first half, every time the Stoke City player Kenwyne Jones was tackled, or went down with injury, all of a sudden he heard voices shouting, "You f*****g w**, you f*****g n*****".

'Plus also he was shouting various utterings of monkey towards the player.

'The comments were directed to the Stoke City player Kenwyne Jones, a player who originates from Trinidad.'

After the half-time interval when Hobson returned to his seat, he was spoken to by stewards and taken away and then transferred to a police station in Salford.

Hobson, of Openshaw, Manchester, who is not a season ticket holder at Old Trafford, told officers he had come to the match straight from his job as a fork lift truck driver and drank four bottles of beer but was not drunk.

He admitted making some comments about the Stoke player 'in the heat of the moment' and accepted he used the words, 'black b*****d'.

He said he could not remember using the words 'w**' or 'monkey' but accepted what the witness had reported him as saying.

Rachel Goode, mitigating said the defendant was 'extremely embarrassed' by his behaviour.

'He has serious concerns he will lose his job as a result of this,' she told the bench.

'He can't really explain his actions on that day. It's out of character for him.

'He has family and friends of mixed race and he's now branded a racist.'

Hobson was fined £200 and ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.

The football banning order means he is not allowed to enter a football ground in England and Wales for three years or he could be arrested and he must surrender his passport when England play internationals abroad.
      MsGerrard
      Re: Man Utd fan Howard Hobson, 57, guilty of racially abusing Kenwyne Jones
      Reply #1: Feb 08, 2012 10:28:08 pm
      Hmmmm strange why this hasn't been splashed all over the news, I wonder why  :f_whistle:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2: Feb 08, 2012 10:29:27 pm
      Hmmmm strange why this hasn't been splashed all over the news, I wonder why  :f_whistle:

Strange but not surprising any more Cas.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #3: Feb 08, 2012 10:54:05 pm
      Looks like terry's old man!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4: Feb 08, 2012 10:57:41 pm
      All quiet on the Western Front with this. Very quick justice on this one.

Any chance of a link to forward this?

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Feb 08, 2012 11:04:35 pm
      Strange but not surprising any more Cas.

What they said.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #6: Feb 08, 2012 11:15:46 pm
      It's further down on this page.

With another very interesting story about a certain someone at the top
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2098325/Boss-footballs-anti-racism-group-branded-racist-calling-Asian-fan-coconut.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #7: Feb 09, 2012 04:35:07 am

Oliver Holt is still not sure if this is racist yet!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #8: Feb 09, 2012 07:38:09 am
      Quote from MsGerrard

They were all preoccupied with something else. A good day to bury bad news.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Feb 09, 2012 04:50:17 pm
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #10: Feb 09, 2012 05:23:31 pm
      I love the way we will still be branded as racists on Saturday. Would love to beat them tw*ts in their own yard.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #11: Feb 09, 2012 05:36:47 pm
      At first glance, I thought this was going to say, 'Man Utd fan Howard Webb...'
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #12: Feb 09, 2012 05:56:38 pm

Same here! ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #13: Feb 09, 2012 09:45:01 pm

At first glance he looks like your average manc!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #14: Feb 10, 2012 10:16:15 am
      Hope the lads have cards with Howard Hobsons name on it tomorrow and put them up in silence during the minute for Munich.It would be a classy way to show how  hypocritical the press ans Utd in particualr are.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Feb 10, 2012 01:03:46 pm

Snap.

Quick Reply