Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Would you want our rivals to go bust?

Read 5713 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Would you want our rivals to go bust?
      Feb 15, 2012 09:48:04 pm
      I was talking at work today with a guy who is a Newcastle/Celtic fan, something i never get, supporting two sides.

But he is cock-a-hoop that Rangers are going to the wall, even though i explained it is very unlikely that they will go out of existence.

But it got me thinking on the drive home tonight, would you want our rivals to go bust and just go? I personally wouldnt, Everton or Utd, id miss the banter, the rivalry, the oneupmanship, the derby, having someone to dislike, hell even the fear of losing to them.

Dont get me wrong id take some pleasure in seeing their fans sweat  ;D But i genuinely wouldnt want them to go..

But other Celtic fans ive heard on the radio etc seem to share his view..

Whats your guys and gals thoughts? Would you want to see Utd and/or Everton go out of existence?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: Would you want our rivals to go bust?
      Reply #1: Feb 15, 2012 09:53:17 pm
      I wouldn't want them to go bust as you say rivalry is one of the best things about supporting a football club.

It would be more than amusing if the blues**te or mancs got relegated for a season or two but to never have a derby game again or a game against Man United would be something I would miss.
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:51 pm by srslfc »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,001 posts | 2711 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: Feb 15, 2012 10:00:59 pm
      No never in a million years. We would have nothing to moan/shout.complain/happy when we smash you off the park.  :lmao: Plus this forum wouldn't exist.

never never never.
      Aggeraphobia
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #3: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:07 pm
      Wouldn't mind seeing Everton/Mancs relegated for a season or two, but rivalry is what football is all about so wouldn't want them to go bust completely. Important 12 points for us too, seeing as we perform better in the heated atmosphere but struggle in 'smaller matches'
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:24 pm
      Relegated - Yes.
      Go bust - er. Depends on the club.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Feb 15, 2012 10:03:42 pm
      I wouldn't want any club to go under, for the sake of their fans but there are plenty of clubs that I would love to go under because of their owners.

ManUre : After hearing David Gill on BBC Parlaiment saying he doesn't give a F**k about debt because they keep winning, I would love them to go under.

Everton : Kenwright keeps banging on about trying hard to sell the club, I don't believe him. I think he's clinging on to the club knowing full well that he could end up dragging them down. He should show some dignity and let go.

Chelsea : No history, bought success thanks to the smug Russian. Let's not forget that they didn't simply buy the first team, they were able to tempt Mourine over when he wouldn't have been interested before and they have been able to build up their academy both in terms of facilities and poaching young players from more 'historical clubs'. They aren't going to slip away quietly.

Man Citeh : Similar reasons to the above with the added fact that they so blatantly flaunted the FFP rules with the back-hander sponsorship deal. Their immense wealth is akin to having a cheat code for Football Manager.

Newcastle : I have a bit of a soft spot for Newcastle but Ashley is a prize tw*t, looking out for number one.

As I said though, I wouldn't actually want them to go under for the same reasons you said yourself, PD.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,001 posts | 2711 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6: Feb 15, 2012 10:04:12 pm
      Relegated - Yes.
      Go bust - er. Depends on the club.

Relegated and no derby then mate.  :-\
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #7: Feb 15, 2012 10:05:46 pm
      A good point on the attitude of certain owners Rep as they do deserve to be taught a lesson or two but like you the fans of those clubs shouldn't have to lose out because of poor ownership.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Feb 15, 2012 10:06:14 pm
      United and Everton I'd only wish relegation on.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,001 posts | 2711 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Feb 15, 2012 10:07:53 pm
      United and Everton I'd only wish relegation on.

You sad man. Can't wait for Hammy to stuff you now.  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Feb 15, 2012 10:10:03 pm
      I've had to listen to arrogant Manc fans for 20 years.
      The silence would be golden.

Hammy? Don't kid yourself.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,001 posts | 2711 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #11: Feb 15, 2012 10:12:33 pm
      I've had to listen to arrogant Manc fans for 20 years.
      The silence would be golden.

Hammy? Don't kid yourself.

Were not all arrogant. However, in the 70s United fans had to listen to pool fans doing the same.   ;)
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #12: Feb 15, 2012 10:12:59 pm
      After some of the sh*te I had thrown at me during the end of H&G era.. I would be tempted

But no, would take the excitement out of the game
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #13: Feb 15, 2012 10:15:04 pm
      I think I would not mind Man Utd getting relegated, especially under Ferguson, who shows no respect to anyone. But would not like to see any club go out of business as every club has their role to play in the game.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Feb 15, 2012 10:15:42 pm
      After some of the sh*te I had thrown at me during the end of H&G era.. I would be tempted

But no, would take the excitement out of the game

Maybe just wish H&G on the Mancs or bitter.  :P
      Aggeraphobia
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #15: Feb 15, 2012 10:18:13 pm
      Would love to see Ferguson relegated...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Feb 15, 2012 10:19:04 pm
      Never, without the clubs, their is no rivalry.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #17: Feb 15, 2012 10:43:32 pm
      I'd piss myself laughing if United and/or Everton were relegated but going under is too far for me. Genuine fans don't deserve that and I would miss the rivalry.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Feb 15, 2012 11:00:50 pm
      I don't necessarily want them to go bust (but wouldn't mind relegation, ;D) but I would like teams like United to go without winning any silverware for 20 years.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #19: Feb 15, 2012 11:11:39 pm
      Man United-yes
      I can't think anything other at the moment after the way they have systematically tried to drive away and discredit our (arguably) best player. What they have done is not sport in any way and how many in their club have stood up for what is right-fans or personnel.

Of course I know my answer is wrong on many levels but I'm angry, bitter and tired out at the whole affair.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #20: Feb 15, 2012 11:12:47 pm
      i'd love to see the mancs go down, even if they were promoted the season following just so that all of their "fans" over here in Oz shut the F**k up about them when they have no idea what they're talking about, instead simply jumping on the bandwagon of the successful team of the time. I hate listening to people try to talk about how good 'their' club is when they wouldn't even know how they went last week against us...

But apart from that not really... maybe see everton go down too for a year so they can't claim to be 'the only club never to be relegated from 1st division'
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21: Feb 15, 2012 11:20:01 pm
      Were not all arrogant. However, in the 70s United fans had to listen to pool fans doing the same.   ;)

Well luckily for United fans back then there was no internet. Really brings the arrogance to a whole new level :D
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #22: Feb 15, 2012 11:27:50 pm
      i would seriously like to  see man ure go bust.i loathe everything about them. i would love an LFC supporting multi  multi  billionaire buy them out and then destroy them,first by selling their players and then selling/dismantling old toilet and watch them  get  relegated each  season until they  are in the northwest  counties league 10th division................ ..HA HA HA

as an old git im lucky in that  ive seen them relegated in the 1970s into the 2nd division. im hoping at  least  you youngsters get  to  experience that  too in your lifetimes.its fantastic to  witness.

Quick Reply