Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Computer Security

Read 5758 times
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Re: Computer Security
      Reply #23: Feb 07, 2012 10:52:31 pm
      I'm using Kaspersky 2012 version, paid £19.99, piece of mind xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Cheers. Downloaded their free months trial, then going to purchase a copy.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #24: Feb 08, 2012 12:23:41 am
      Cheers. Downloaded their free months trial, then going to purchase a copy.

Cheapest I could find at the moment for Kaspersky internet suite 2011 is £5.99 for one computer for one year on Amazon. This updates completely to the 2012 version. If you look no doubt you will see better offers..... I got 3 computers covered for one year for £7.50 off Play.com, but have seen it as low as £3.99 good luck.     
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #25: Feb 08, 2012 12:29:38 am
      Swerve paying, just use the piratebay.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #26: Feb 08, 2012 01:08:35 am
      Swerve paying, just use the piratebay.
      Think that's where I got my trojans from  :-\
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #27: Feb 08, 2012 02:16:39 pm
      I've never had anything like that, just have to make sure it's a trusted user.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #28: Feb 08, 2012 05:19:51 pm
      Just make sure to read the comments and see if it is a trusted or VIP user, sod paying for internet security, the free ones like AVG and Avast a long with other free software do an equal, maybe better job than the stuff people pay for.
      Bier
      Reply #29: Feb 08, 2012 08:26:25 pm
      Yeah, you shouldn't just download everything. You need to be careful if you don't download scene releases from trusted uploaders.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #30: Feb 08, 2012 11:13:12 pm
      I usually am careful with who I download from and have never had a problem before. Just got a bit careless of late, as I've never had a problem and have been doing it for years.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,334 posts | 6386 
      Reply #31: Feb 15, 2012 06:41:59 pm
      I usually am careful with who I download from and have never had a problem before. Just got a bit careless of late, as I've never had a problem and have been doing it for years.

Sounds like it's been covered but as an Information Security Consultant, I have Avast free on my work laptop and I have AVG free at home. Combine that with a reasonable firewall (Windows Firewall is robust enough) and something like Malware Bytes and Ad-Aware and you should be good to go.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #32: Feb 28, 2012 07:41:50 pm
      Just about every IT Tech on the planet has an opinion on what the best AV is.  For a pay suite I would go with Kaspersky. However, in this day and age the free AV suites are very, very good.  I have used AVG, M/Soft Security, Avira, Macafee and Norton.  So far the best free program, by far is Avast. It is non intrusive, doesnt annoy me with non stop popups about upgrades, it has stopped a lot of bad scripts and malware, so far I have used it for 18 months now and never had 1 problem.

The key to keeping the system safe is not just using AV.  You really need to follow that up with additional tools. Keep your updates current and your Firewall current.

I run scans once a week. On Sunday I update my AV, Firewall, M/Soft Updates etc.. I then run cleaner programs. Its best to have multiple cleaner programs. I run 3 programs on top of my AV scans.  I run Malware Bytes, Spybot SD and Advanced System Care which comes w/ a bundled toolbox of all the IObit tools. Its always good to have various scan tools because one program will find and remove an infection that another wont remove. Just dont run them at the same time. 

If your familiar with Network security, you can run a network monitor and see if anyone is on your system.  Its not even necessary to get someones PC infected to steal info. I can go online and download some very powerful tools and get into just about every wireless network around me. Especially if its running WEP encryption. For additional security try and use WPA-PSK or WPA2, Just go into the setup screen on your router and you should be able to change it. WPA is a lot harder to crack, compared to WEP. The older routers w/ WEP used a 64bit encryption key compared to WPA2 which is an AES 256 bit encryption. 

If you just follow a plan like I listed, or something different to suite your needs, you will keep your system secure. If a hacker really wants in to your system, he will get in. For the most part if your system is even a little bit challenging hackers will just ignore you and look for something less secure.
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #33: Feb 29, 2012 07:06:27 pm
      if you are a virgin custermer you can download there free virus protection

Quick Reply