Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Olympics: Cycling

Read 52708 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Olympics: Cycling
      Reply #414: Aug 07, 2012 10:48:31 pm
      I missed that if they were both on camera together. Would have liked to have seen that.

Both amazing Olympians and both really nice blokes.

Hope this link works, if not go to the Olympics tab on the BBC site and click on "Redgrave surprises emotional Hoy"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19171853
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #415: Aug 07, 2012 11:19:27 pm
      Hope this link works, if not go to the Olympics tab on the BBC site and click on "Redgrave surprises emotional Hoy"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19171853

Cheers, it worked a treat.  :gt-happyup:
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #416: Aug 08, 2012 01:22:52 am
      Sir Chris Hoy bows out with keirin gold at London 2012 to overtake Sir Steve Redgrave as Britain's greatest Olympian

By Paul Kelso 11:53PM BST 07 Aug 2012

Sir Chris Hoy had stood behind the middle step of the podium five times at three Games before Tuesday night, but experience was no help as he prepared to accept the medal that took the Scot past Sir Steve Redgrave’s golden haul of five.

Hoy has been out-sprinting the cycling world for a decade, collecting titles like stamps and leading the rise of the sport in Britain, a transformation that reached a searing zenith with his victory in the keirin.

He knows every step of the four-year journey, though 35 hours of training a week and interval sessions that make you vomit, and he has perfected them all.

But for this remarkable athlete, who now stands alone as Britain’s most successful Olympian with six gold medals, the last step was the hardest.

As Maximilian Levy and Teun Mulder, the men he had vanquished, stepped up to collect their medals, the Scot’s shoulders began to heave.

Staring at his shoes he tried to bite back the tears, but for the first time all day, failed miserably. The tears began to flow, and continued throughout the medal ceremony and an anthem that has been heard eight times in six remarkable days in this arena. They were still coming as Redgrave embraced him at track side.

Four years of dedication focused on delivering the perfect ending to one of sport’s great careers had paid off, and Hoy was in pieces.

“I was in a right old state,” he said afterwards. “There are so many moments in the four years when you are doubting yourself. You only see the final polished product but its four years of hard work, injury, defeat, it is not a glamorous thing to be a cyclist, you have to put a lot of hard work in and that is what makes these moments so special.”

Spoken like a true Olympian, now officially Britain’s most successful, “even on countback” as Redgrave told him. At 36 this will be Hoy’s last Games, and his time the world stage could not have ended more perfectly.

Hoy was the square-jawed face of British cycling long before the younger, bolshier members of this high-achieving family came along. If Bradley Wiggins is the rock n’roll child, Mark Cavendish the tearaway with rockets in his heels, and Victoria Pendleton the flighty sister, Hoy is the hard-working, faithful eldest son, who sets and maintains the standard.

He did it again here, fittingly bring down the curtain on another week of Olympic domination from the home team. London’s Olympic vision was built on the promise of stars like Hoy triumphing in venues built around their dreams and, as with Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah in the stadium, he delivered.

The Scot emerged for his final Olympic effort in another tingling atmosphere created by a home crowd drunk on success. Laura Trott’s victory in the omnium had sent the place into raptures, but Pendleton’s defeat to arch-rival Anna Meares in the penultimate race added an edge of anxiety, reminding an audience laced with royalty that this is sport, not soap opera.

We need not have worried. Hoy has lost only five of more 60 keirin’s in his career and he maintained that record, though Levy, a German12 years his junior, pushed the Scot incredibly close in a scintillating finale.

The keirin may have the most bizarre bit-part player of the Games in the Gurney-riding pacemaker, a priest in a Lycra cassock, but the sport is genuine and thrilling.

Levy lined up looking like Judge Dredd, his eyes hidden behind a silver visor and only his bristled chin visible. Hoy would have to live up to his Superman nickname once more to retain superhero status.

He and his coaches have been working on a more flexible approach to race, decided in a two-and-a-half lap dash, but here the tactic was simple. “We turned it into a flatline bike race,” said his coach Ian Dyer.

Hoy surged to the front once the Gurney pulled aside, leaving himself 500 metres to hold off the field. On the back straight of the final lap Levy pulled half a length clear on his outside, with both men knowing that if the German could double that lead he would dive to the inside and shut Hoy out. “I would have been nowhere,” said Hoy.

That was the moment that the year’s of dedication paid their dividend. Seeing his coaches “going mental” Hoy knew he had to bury himself one last time.
      “With a lap to go I caught my coach’s eye. He was two feet off the ground going mental, and I realised now is the time to go. I was feathering the throttle a little bit, I wasn’t going full gas.

“Max was coming with a hell of a lot of speed and he almost got past. But I knew that if I could keep him there on the outside of me, and I had the inside line, there was a chance, I might be able to hang on.

“I gave it every last effort. All the gym sessions, all the road sessions, all the track session, all the interval sessions, all the hard days, that’s what got me through the last 50 metres.”

The reaction when he did was quite breathtaking. London’s venues have resounded to remarkable scenes in the last 11 days but few ovations have matched this.

The roar made the 6,000 seats resonate to the touch, not that many were still sat down when he crossed the line.

Hoy thanked the crowd, describing them as “a hand pushing you along the track”, but the gratitude deserves to flow in the other direction.

In a sport based on power and speed he has defied age and the challenge of men who were in school when he won his first medal in Sydney 12 years ago.

There will be a valedictory Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in two years, but he bows out in similar style to Redgrave; with every last effort left on the track, and trailing golden memories.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/9460315/Sir-Chris-Hoy-bows-out-with-keirin-gold-at-London-2012-to-overtake-Sir-Steve-Redgrave-as-Britains-greatest-Olympian.html

Great piece on Sir Chris Hoy. The only blot is that that it's a Derny bike, not a Gerny bike.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #417: Aug 08, 2012 03:01:25 pm
      Good luck to Liam Phillips and Shanaze Reade in today's BMX time trail race to set the seedings for Friday's elimination races.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #418: Aug 08, 2012 03:05:20 pm
      39.368 for Shanaze.  Early days, she was only the third rider to go, but she looked smooth!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #419: Aug 08, 2012 03:23:42 pm
      Ouch, that was a nasty fall for the US rider :o
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #420: Aug 08, 2012 03:27:38 pm
      Shaneze finishes in 5th place with Australia's Caroline Buchanan 1st, New Zealand's Sarah Walker 2nd, Colombia's Mariana Pajon 3rd and Laetitia Le Corguille 4th.  Netherland's Laura Smulders is in 6th.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #421: Aug 08, 2012 03:30:19 pm
      Shanaze finishes in 5th. Solid.

Going back to the track cycling It seems there were some rumblings from foreign camps saying that Great Britain had more advanced equipment. The man who finished with bronze in the men's keirin, New Zealand's Simon van Velthooven said that he would like to have seen the result had he and Chris Hoy swapped bikes!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19174302   

I don't know if this is true but shouldn't there be no issue here? Doesn't the UCI permit that all bikes produced to go racing be available on general sale as well?
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #422: Aug 08, 2012 03:54:49 pm
      Great ride by Liam Phillips!  Goes into first place with a time of 38.719.  Still a lot of riders to go though.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #423: Aug 08, 2012 03:56:12 pm

Going back to the track cycling It seems there were some rumblings from foreign camps saying that Great Britain had more advanced equipment. The man who finished with bronze in the men's keirin, New Zealand's Simon van Velthooven said that he would like to have seen the result had he and Chris Hoy swapped bikes!

I don't know if this is true but shouldn't there be no issue here? Doesn't the UCI permit that all bikes produced to go racing be available on general sale as well?

Chris Boardman talked about this last night.  He said that the GB bikes had been available tobuy for the last two years.  Not GB's fault if no-one bothered to buy them!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #424: Aug 08, 2012 04:15:15 pm
      Whoa, another wipe-out.  That was a proper face plant by the Latvian rider!  Looks ok though, hopefully just winded.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #425: Aug 08, 2012 04:32:39 pm
      Liam Phillips ends up in 12th.  Some surprises in that time trial.  The real racing starts in tomorrows men's QF.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #426: Aug 08, 2012 04:35:02 pm

The technology is there for everyone to use - GB don't use anything that isn't available to everyone
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #427: Aug 09, 2012 03:16:38 pm
      Total carnage in heat 3 of the men's BMX QF.  The New Zealand rider, Marc Williers in the lead going through the first bend as the entire rest of the field piled into each other behind him!
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #428: Aug 09, 2012 03:18:26 pm
      First 3 races, and already chaos with 2 major crashes and 3 in total
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #429: Aug 09, 2012 04:16:07 pm
      Three second places in his heats and Liam Phillips is safely through to the semi finals!  Well in Liam!  Looks to have recovered fully from breaking his collar-bone at the WC recently.

Commentators just saying that they reach speeds of 70kph after that start!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #430: Aug 09, 2012 06:42:57 pm
      Link to some photos from today's BMX QF's:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/galleries/photos/34602/1/0/bmx-men-s-quarter-finals-london-2012-olympic-games-by-graham-watson.html

I still can't figure out how to post a picture :(
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #431: Aug 09, 2012 06:47:03 pm
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #432: Aug 09, 2012 07:36:13 pm

I did that but when I previewed it, it came up with that box-thing with a slash through it.

Let's have another go.

Thanks Res!  I was using the page url!  What a thicko!  Just hover on the actual image for it's specific url.

Anyway, here's the rest:

Yay!  These work on preview.  Thanks again!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #433: Aug 10, 2012 01:21:57 pm
      Olympics related but also may have something of a bearing on the Lance Armstrong investigation.  A change to the Athens 2004 medals:

Hamilton formally stripped of 2004 Olympic gold medal

Friday, 10 August 2012 Nigel Wynn 0 Comments

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has formally stripped American former professional cyclist Tyler Hamilton of the 2004 Athens Olympics time trial gold medal.

The IOC has removed Hamilton's name from the result sheet in reaction to his admission to doping during his career.

Russian Viatcheslav Ekimov moves into the gold medal position, with American Bobby Julich now awarded the silver medal and Michael Rogers of Australia gaining bronze.

Before re-allocating the medals, the IOC requested documents from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) to ensure that those being awarded the medals were not also implicated in USADA's doping investigation.

Hamilton failed a test for homologous blood transfusion at the 2004 Vuelta a Espana whilst riding for Phonak, the same year that he won the Oympic TT title.

At the time, Hamilton claimed complete innocence but came clean in May 2011 when he admitted to doping throughout his professional cycling career during an American television interview.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/534327/hamilton-formally-stripped-of-2004-olympic-gold-medal.html

When he admitted that he had doped, Hamilton also claimed that he saw his former team-mate, Lance Armstrong, take EPO.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #434: Aug 10, 2012 02:15:48 pm
      After all the crashes yesterday I'm not surprised to see this tweet:

Dan Roan ‏@danroan
      BMX rated by organisers as the Olympic sport with most risk of serious injury. 20 medics here, half of whom are doctors & anaesthetists
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #435: Aug 10, 2012 04:03:30 pm
      Shaneze Reade qualifies for the women's BMX final with a 2nd, 1st and 2nd places in her semi finals!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #436: Aug 10, 2012 04:12:08 pm
      And Liam Phillips qualifies with a 2nd, 3rd and 4th places in his semi finals!

Quick Reply