Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Olympics: Cycling

Read 52234 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Olympics: Cycling
      Reply #483: Oct 10, 2012 05:01:40 pm
      Agency Details Doping Case Against Armstrong

The United States Anti-Doping Agency announced Wednesday that it would soon make public its doping file on Lance Armstrong and that the file would include details of what the agency is calling the most sophisticated and professional doping program in recent sports history.

The agency said its dossier on Armstrong, the seven-time Tour de France winner and cancer survivor who denies ever doping, will include sworn testimony from 26 people, including nearly a dozen former teammates on the United States Postal Service team. Those Postal Service teammates have admitted their own doping and say that Armstrong doped, encouraged doping and administered doping products on the team, the agency said on Wednesday.

The teammates who came forward and submitted sworn affidavits included George Hincapie, one of the most respected American riders in recent history, Levi Leipheimer, Tyler Hamilton and others who are among the best cyclists of Armstrong’s generation.

Their testimony is expected to be the most widespread effort to break the code of silence in cycling that has existed for decades and perpetuated the pervasive doping in the sport.

The agency, which said its file on Armstrong consists of more than a thousand pages of evidence that will be made public Wednesday afternoon on its Web site, will detail the sanctions imposed upon those riders for admitting doping.

The agency said the evidence reveals “conclusive and undeniable proof that brings to the light of day for the first time this systemic, sustained and highly professionalized team-run doping conspiracy.”

“The U.S.P.S. Team doping conspiracy was professionally designed to groom and pressure athletes to use dangerous drugs, to evade detection, to ensure its secrecy and ultimately gain an unfair competitive advantage through superior doping practices,” the agency said. “A program organized by individuals who thought they were above the rules and who still play a major and active role in sport today.”

The evidence against Armstrong features financial payments, e-mails, scientific analyses and laboratory test results that show Armstrong was doping and was the kingpin of the doping conspiracy, the agency said. Several years of Armstrong’s blood values showed evidence of doping, said a person involved in the case who did not want his name used because the results have not been revealed yet.

“It’s shocking, it’s disappointing,” said Travis Tygart, chief executive of the antidoping agency. “But we did our job.”

On Tuesday, Armstrong’s legal team tried to preemptively discredit Usada’s report in a letter to the antidoping agency’s lawyer, Bill Bock.

Timothy J. Herman, one of Armstrong’s lawyers, called the case a farce. “Usada, the prosecutor, now pretends to issue its own ‘reasoned decision,’ even though there was no judge, no jury and no hearing,” Herman said in the letter.

When Armstrong decided in August not to contest Usada’s charges, he agreed to forgo an arbitration hearing at which the evidence against him would have been aired, possibly publicly.

Armstrong, through his spokesman, said Wednesday morning that he had no comment on the Usada report.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code, the antidoping agency must submit its evidence against Armstrong to the International Cycling Union, which has 21 days from the receipt of the case file to appeal the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Once it makes its decision, the World Anti-Doping Agency will then have 21 days in which to appeal.

The cycling union and the World Anti-Doping Agency are expected to receive the Armstrong file Wednesday, before it is made public.

The antidoping agency has been gathering evidence on Armstrong for the past several years, with its efforts increasing after Floyd Landis, the 2006 Tour winner who was stripped of the title for doping, contacted Tygart in 2010. Landis told Tygart that he, Armstrong and others on the Postal Service team were involved in systematic doping supported by the team.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/sports/cycling/antidoping-agency-expected-to-detail-its-case-against-lance-armstrong.html?smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #484: Oct 22, 2012 12:09:49 pm
      BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking
      International Cycling Union imposes lifetime ban on cyclist Lance Armstrong & strips his Tour de France titles

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
      UCI president Pat McQuaid: "Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling."
      Bier
      Reply #485: Oct 22, 2012 01:53:35 pm
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #486: Oct 27, 2012 11:33:28 pm
      Been wondering when this announcement would happen:

Cycling Weekly ‏@cyclingweekly
      Here's the story, no official announcement from Team Sky as yet. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9638483/Sean-Yates-loses-job-at-Sky-as-Dave-Brailsfords-doping-cull-continues.html
       Hide summary   Reply  Retweet  Favorite

Sean Yates loses job at Sky as Dave Brailsford's doping cull contin...
      Sean Yates, one of the men who masterminded Bradley Wiggins’ Tour de France victory in July, has left Team Sky after admitting an involvement in doping.

Can't post the article in full as the page freezes when I load it, but not surprised at this news.  Yates rode with Armstrong in his Motorola days.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #487: Oct 28, 2012 01:15:54 am
      Been wondering when this announcement would happen:

Cycling Weekly ‏@cyclingweekly
      Here's the story, no official announcement from Team Sky as yet. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9638483/Sean-Yates-loses-job-at-Sky-as-Dave-Brailsfords-doping-cull-continues.html
       Hide summary   Reply  Retweet  Favorite

Sean Yates loses job at Sky as Dave Brailsford's doping cull contin...
      Sean Yates, one of the men who masterminded Bradley Wiggins’ Tour de France victory in July, has left Team Sky after admitting an involvement in doping.

Can't post the article in full as the page freezes when I load it, but not surprised at this news.  Yates rode with Armstrong in his Motorola days.

I guess that had to happen, given that Yates tested positive during his cycling career and Team Sky have a zero tolerance policy on doping.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #488: Nov 06, 2012 04:34:01 pm
      how far back do they want to go because doping was rife during the 60's and 70's but became more sophisticated from the 80's on.
      Although I was a big fan of ~Armstrong shouldn't we look in more detail at other winners of races if so it could go on forever.
      If you wonder why drugs as so prevelant in cycling try racing for 120 miles a day for 3 weeks at over 25mph. its not possible to recover each day especially after 6 or 7 hours in the mountains.
      If they dont want drugs they may have to look at what if feasible for a cyclist.
      I dont like scapegoating people and its wrong for people to think Lance Armstrong invented drug taking in cycling its been going on for over 50 years.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #489: Nov 06, 2012 05:01:28 pm
      how far back do they want to go because doping was rife during the 60's and 70's but became more sophisticated from the 80's on.
      Although I was a big fan of ~Armstrong shouldn't we look in more detail at other winners of races if so it could go on forever.
      If you wonder why drugs as so prevelant in cycling try racing for 120 miles a day for 3 weeks at over 25mph. its not possible to recover each day especially after 6 or 7 hours in the mountains.
      If they dont want drugs they may have to look at what if feasible for a cyclist.
      I dont like scapegoating people and its wrong for people to think Lance Armstrong invented drug taking in cycling its been going on for over 50 years.
      Agree mate, many years ago on a racing bike I have covered 100 miles in a day and was good for nothing for days, I realise these men are athletes and all that entails but can't help thinking they must use some kind of stimulant/boost.
      Maybe the gear is as near as you can get undetectable but once in a while somebody gets collared.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #490: Nov 06, 2012 06:01:43 pm
      Agree mate, many years ago on a racing bike I have covered 100 miles in a day and was good for nothing for days, I realise these men are athletes and all that entails but can't help thinking they must use some kind of stimulant/boost.
      Maybe the gear is as near as you can get undetectable but once in a while somebody gets collared.
      the modern drugs are not performance enhancing as such but more likely to aid recovery so you can be strong the following day.
      Back in the day during a hard day in the TDF it would be nothing for a rider to pop some tonedron at the bottom of a big climb to help him get over it.
      Not many of them are still alive.
      Chris Boardman suffered because he was as good as anyone in the field but he simply couldn't recover fast enough after a hard day in the mountains.
      Had the peleton been clean he would have had a decent chance at a podium finish.
      Bier
      Reply #491: Nov 07, 2012 02:43:28 pm
      They've only really started cracking down on doping use since the late 90's. Armstrong was well aware of that, yet continued his practices while putting up a huge act advocating against doping use. In hindsight the way he acted was appallng. I remember the thing with Simeoni for instance in the Tour, where he acted all high and mighty and personally prevented him to escape because of his accusations. For a long time in cycling there was an omerta, that's actually how they call it themselfs too. Cyclists who spoke about doping use were shunned. Armstrong did everything he could to keep this omerta in place even after authorities started to crack down on doping use. And Armstrong only retired a year ago when he was already under investigation and facing allegations, so they didn't have to go back far into the past.
      « Last Edit: Nov 07, 2012 03:22:57 pm by Bier »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #492: Nov 07, 2012 06:10:16 pm
      Going back into the 60's the Peleton threatend to go on strike if compulsory testing came in.The testing has increased year on year for decades but the ways of masking doping have until recently been a year or so ahead of the testers.
      Cycling  is a high profile "doping" sport but just look at how the athletics records have stalled over the last ten years and in particular Womens records.
      Making sport "pure" is impossible whilst its funded and the prizes are so high.
      Think back to the Roger Bannister 4 min mile and how shattered he was after the event and ask yourself when was the last time an athelete finished a race in that condition?.
      Don't even start to look at the East European block results over the post war era.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #493: Nov 07, 2012 10:54:57 pm
      Wiggins in hospital after crash

Published on Wednesday 7 November 2012 21:40

Tour de France champion Bradley Wiggins is in hospital after a crash on a Lancashire road.

The 32-year-old, who also scooped gold in the time trial at this summer’s Olympic Games in London, was involved in a collision with a van in Wrightington, close to his home in Eccleston, near Chorley.

It is believed he may have broken several ribs and suffered hand and wrist injuries although police have refused to give any details as to whether any wounds could threaten his world-beating cycling career.

The incident happened on Crow Orchard Road, close to the junction with Mossy Lea Road, at 6pm on Wednesday evening, when a white Astra van pulled off a filling station forecourt and collided with the cyclist.

Garage attendant Yasmin Smith, who rushed to the champion’s aid, said: “By the time I got there he had moved to a safer place but was still on the ground and he was in a lot of pain.

“He said he thought he had broken his ribs and while a lot of police cars arrived it was about 15 minutes before the ambulance got there by which time he was blue.”

A Lancashire Police spokesman confirmed they had attended the incident.

For the full story, see Thursday’s Lancashire Evening Post.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/wiggins-in-hospital-after-crash-1-5102981
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #494: Nov 07, 2012 11:16:26 pm
      Dan Roan ‏@danroan
      Team Sky confirm Wiggins kept in hospital overnight for observation - injuries not thought to be serious & expected to make a full recovery
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #495: Nov 08, 2012 04:17:41 pm
      He would have just come across the M6 roundabout so that would have been dangerous enough.
      Its so dangerous outr there even in daylight.FFS Brad go somewhere warm and sunny in the winter.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #496: Jan 15, 2013 12:27:41 am
      So Armstrong has finally admitted to doping. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #497: Jan 15, 2013 01:39:38 pm
      I do look forward to watching this interview with Oprah. No doubt it will be engineered to perfection as she hands over the tissues while Lance makes his grovelling apology while she completely avoids the issue that he aggressively pursued anyone who rightly accused him of cheating (will have to read David Walsh's 'Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong') while driving out those clean riders from the sport.

It's because of people like him that thoroughly decent and great cyclists like Nicole Cooke have to end their careers on quotes rightly blasting those cheats who made life harder for genuine people like herself. Hope she enjoys her retirement. Great cyclist and will always remember how she kicked of that Team GB medal rush in Beijing in 2008.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #498: Jan 16, 2013 03:08:04 am
      I do look forward to watching this interview with Oprah. No doubt it will be engineered to perfection as she hands over the tissues while Lance makes his grovelling apology while she completely avoids the issue that he aggressively pursued anyone who rightly accused him of cheating (will have to read David Walsh's 'Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong') while driving out those clean riders from the sport.

It's because of people like him that thoroughly decent and great cyclists like Nicole Cooke have to end their careers on quotes rightly blasting those cheats who made life harder for genuine people like herself. Hope she enjoys her retirement. Great cyclist and will always remember how she kicked of that Team GB medal rush in Beijing in 2008.

It was interesting what Nicole Cooke had to say about doping cheats and how they affect clean cyclists. She can, however, be very proud of her career and her achievements. I also wish her all the best in her retirement.

As for Lance Armstrong, I'm also looking forward to seeing his interview with Oprah.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #499: Jan 16, 2013 07:52:14 pm
      Lance Armstrong isn't responsible for the decades of drug abuse by the peleton.Not too long ago the pro's went on strike at the thought have having drugs testing.
      I too will watch but I dont expect him to be contrite his arguement will be thats what he had to do to match the other riders.
      I find that the UCI are the biggest offenders in all of this and if his $100,000 donation to drug testing labs was a back hander to get the info on how to avoid getting caught cycling may be in for a rough ride.Its a bit like if I go down I will take everyone else with me.Its such a pity becuase it was a fantastic story and for all those years it was compelling viewing.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #500: Jan 18, 2013 01:49:45 pm
      In fairness Armstrong wasnt the worst on drugs

This guy must have been on some serious stuff !

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #501: Jan 19, 2013 07:21:59 pm
      In fairness Armstrong wasnt the worst on drugs

This guy must have been on some serious stuff !

Not Elliott and ET as well?!!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #502: Jan 21, 2013 12:44:23 pm

;D
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #503: Jan 21, 2013 06:45:37 pm
      Lance Armstrong shame to be turned into Hollywood film
      Star Trek director JJ Abrams has optioned forthcoming book Cycle of Lies by New York Times reporter Juliet Macu

Ben Child
      The Guardian, Monday 21 January 2013 18.40 GMT

The story of shamed cyclist Lance Armstrong, who cheated his way to seven Tour de France titles, is heading to the big screen after Star Trek director JJ Abrams optioned the forthcoming book Cycle of Lies by New York Times reporter Juliet Macur.

Abrams's proposed film is the first to be announced since Armstrong admitted during a television interview with Oprah Winfrey that an extensive programme of blood doping and steroid use played a part in all seven of his consecutive Tour de France victories.

Macur has covered the American's career for many years from his return to cycling after battling cancer in 1998, the glory years of 1999 to 2005, the allegations of cheating that dogged him throughout the latter stages of his career and his Tour de France comeback in 2009.

The Armstrong biopic will be put together by the Paramount studio and Abrams's production company Bad Robot. It is not yet clear whether Abrams will direct the film and there are no casting details.

Before the scandal, rival studio Sony had a biopic of Armstrong in the works with the cyclist's friend Jake Gyllenhaal scheduled to take the lead.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/21/lance-armstrong-shame-hollywood-film?CMP=twt_gu
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #504: Jan 22, 2013 03:58:07 pm
      Bradley Wiggins tells Gazzetta dello Sport he may visit Man Utd training ground in a #Liverpool shirt: "I'm a knight. I can do what I want."

Is right Wiggo, absolutely awesome! Hahaha love it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #505: Jan 22, 2013 04:20:47 pm
      Bradley Wiggins tells Gazzetta dello Sport he may visit Man Utd training ground in a #Liverpool shirt: "I'm a knight. I can do what I want."

Is right Wiggo, absolutely awesome! Hahaha love it.

Quality!

Quick Reply