Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Reina
      0 (0%)
      Johnson
      1 (0.6%)
      Carragher
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      14 (7.7%)
      Enrique
      7 (3.9%)
      Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      5 (2.8%)
      Adam
      1 (0.6%)
      Downing
      30 (16.6%)
      Carroll
      79 (43.6%)
      Suarez
      23 (12.7%)
      Bridcutt ;)
      21 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Liverpool 6-1 Brighton - FA Cup - Post Match Delight

Read 31400 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Re: Liverpool 6-1 Brighton - FA Cup - Post Match Delight
      Reply #529: Feb 20, 2012 12:32:23 am
      Just got back from the game now + walked in just in time to watch the highlights on ITV+1! Got to be thoroughly happy with that. Final scoreline was a bit tough on them but I think we had something like 28 shots and sooner or later someone was gonna get a pasting at Anfield the way our luck has been for much of the season. First half I thought we played too deep, let them knock it around at the back but soon as the lads came out 2nd half you could see them playing 10 yards higher and it made all the difference as they just hit it long whenever they were pressed properly. I thought several lads played very well with Downing my man of the match. He does blow hot and cold but today he was excellent. He ran at defenders, hit a few fantastic shots, kept the ball, set up a goal and put in a few decent crosses. That's as good as he's played in a red shirt and the challenge now is to find a bit of consistency in his game. Thought Skrtel was a beast at the back again with another dominant display + was funny watching him alongside Carra (given he's been out of the side) and it was Martin who looked like the senior player (of the two) so that shows just how far he's come this season. Enrique was back to his usual self with a good performance, Stevie played well in a disciplined role and Suarez had some excellent moments as well. Big Andy had another bright game and he took his goal brilliantly and looked far mroe effective in the 2nd half when we got bodies further forward to support him. Stevie teed up a couple of great diags for him to attack and that (i think) will become a feature the more they play together as it's very difficult to defend.

As for the Brighton fans, they were excellent. A bit of banter came Carroll's way and Suarez got a few boos but he'll get that from every club we face for the rest of the season and beyond I expect. Our fans didn't really wake up until the lads were 4-1 up.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #530: Feb 20, 2012 12:35:17 am
      Without starting another thread,this game against the yard dogs of Stoke,is one that we need to win,for the sake of football,in this country.When a lower league team come to a premiership ground,you expect them to be defensive and physical,and you hope to God,that the referee,has some degree of ability and/or experience,at least to appear to control the game.With Stoke,that goes out of the window,well done Brighton,you came,you tried, but quite honestly,you were f*cked over.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #531: Feb 20, 2012 12:47:18 am
      Great performance, great win. Perfect to form to be heading into a couple final with. Some great individual performances but as a team we were great.

Was great to see balls played into Andy's feet too where he could knock it out to the winger again to cross, rather than hitting long balls at him all afternoon. The songs about him being a waste of money clearly spurred him on :) Good finish too, and nice assist for Luis. Nice to see Downing get an assist too, he deserved it. Funny who it was for aswell seeing as they are the 2 players getting most abuse this year!

Bring on the rugby team! :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #532: Feb 20, 2012 12:55:02 am
      The result was the only representation that could reflect our dominance and inexorable pressure from the outset. Own goals are a fractious issue but after seeing the incidents they were all down to the right tactics and skillfull attacking play , you do not put the ball in your own net by choice.
      Absolutely made up that Andy is MOTM and Kenny's faith has been justified.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #533: Feb 20, 2012 01:03:55 am
      Over the moon about the result, bring on Wembley! :scarf:

In 3 FA cup games we have scored 13 goals and conceded 3 goals. :clap:
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #534: Feb 20, 2012 01:11:39 am
      So we mustered 34 attempts at goal let's take out the 3 own goals and thats 3/34= 8.8% not good enough according to Sky sports. :)

Had to chuckle to myself that their leading headline for our game was "3 own goals sink Brighton" bitter dogs will they ever give us any credit?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #535: Feb 20, 2012 02:51:54 am
      No matter how we played it is kind of true what sky sports said, and its better print than carroll scores one. Can't blame them for everything!

Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #536: Feb 20, 2012 04:53:32 am
      Great win for the boys. Really fancy our chances of winning the FA Cup now. There's nothing to fear as long as we work hard enough.

Here's hoping cup glory can give the team the confidence to win most of their remaining league games and snatch 4th! Chelsea and Arsenal are wobbling big time and if Carroll can start getting some goals in the league we can make it.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #537: Feb 20, 2012 05:12:46 am
      Thoroughly deserved the win and the scoreline reflected the way we played. The OG's reflect how we played almost the entire match in front of they're goal and the havoc we created for the defense. Good solid all around effort from the squad; we are now placing ourselves in the position to go after a potential double.

Hopefully the triple threat of Gerrard, Suarez and Carroll can continue to improve and that Downing can maintain consistency in his play. Though a lesser side I think we got a glimpse today of what Kenny was working towards all along; if we can carry this over to the league then the last few months of this season are going to be exciting times.

Daz pointed out month's ago how time was needed to gel, in fact this is the first match where we had the strike force Kenny had envisioned start a match. Perhaps a little patience is truly all we needed. Kenny pointed out earlier in the season that they were working on Andy to make him a complete player and many of us could not understand his positioning and what exactly it was he was doing at times. I think now we are starting to see glimpses of a more complete Andy Carroll and if the last month has shown us his new beginning then the league better look out when he gets it all down.

This win and a league cup win next week could be a turning point for the rest of our season, we have slumped and suffered but we have withstood and find ourselves in striking distance to accomplish everything we wanted from this season and maybe a wee bit more. Pity to see a group of posters unavailable for comment after another big win; guess we all can't be satisfied.
      halofreak11789
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #538: Feb 20, 2012 05:42:12 am
      Great game and a MOTM performance from Big Andy.. I thought I'd point out that Adam played some absolutely delicious through balls for downing to run into. Lets keep this form up and Wembley here we come. YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #539: Feb 20, 2012 06:25:37 am
      I have not seen the match but I saw the goals on the news,needless to say I am thrilled with the result.That scoreline is what we have threatening to give someone all season and the fact that there was 3 own goals only justifies the amount of pressure Brighton was under.Well done Kenny,well done REDS you have made me proud.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #540: Feb 20, 2012 08:36:39 am
      Great win, Carroll was my MOM and took his goal well but more than that his workrate impressed me yesterday.

Think Downing has played his way into the team for the final too.

Bring on Stoke and lets knock them out of another cup!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #541: Feb 20, 2012 09:29:02 am
      Fantastic effort from the lads last night.

So proud of you all. Finally gave a team a pasting that we have been promising all season.

Had to laugh at the 3rd own goal...what the F**k was he trying to do?  :lmao:

My mate was taking the piss and when Birdcunt scored his 2nd OG, he said if he scores 3 do you reckon he'd get the Match ball.  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Onto the quarters and a match against the bus parkers. In this kind of mood, we could rip anyone apart.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #542: Feb 20, 2012 11:10:05 am
      Bridcutt was so unlucky with his own goals. Both had hit him and gone in and all he was trying to do was defend for his team but for Dunk .. that was just comical.

Oh, and if anyone wants to download the full match videos ..

Check out ..http://liverpoolfcclips.blogspot.com/
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #543: Feb 20, 2012 11:16:57 am
      Delighted with our performance and the result. Should give the lads an added bit of confidence before our next big game against Cardiff.(big games starting to come thick and fast now as every game is a big game!)

I certainly didn't want to draw Stoke next, I think there was only Spurs I wanted less.

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,142 posts | 257 
      Reply #544: Feb 20, 2012 12:15:52 pm
      Happy for the big win and good performance of the team. This help the team in the view of confidence and away from all the F***ing hands shake story.
      The ref was one thing I'm annoying last night especially few occasions Andy was fouled by Brighton's defender in the box, but positive thing was we can see how good Andy improved both his play and temperament.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #545: Feb 20, 2012 12:28:03 pm
      So we mustered 34 attempts at goal let's take out the 3 own goals and thats 3/34= 8.8% not good enough according to Sky sports. :)

Had to chuckle to myself that their leading headline for our game was "3 own goals sink Brighton" bitter dogs will they ever give us any credit?
      They're all crapping themselves as they do when LFC looks to have turned a corner.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #546: Feb 20, 2012 01:31:51 pm
      It doesn't matter who we drew from now on, if we want to be worthy winner we have to face them at some point in time. I was so frustrated with Downing that I could strangle him last week but he was superb in this game and credit to him. He just need to continue to have the confidence to beat defenders and to continue with the quality crosses. But Adam was hardly mentioned here and I thought he did well with his early pin-point passing to Downing, no dallying with another 2 short passes before it gets to Downing.

In hindsight, it may not be fair to place criticism on Downing on many of the previous games. The ball was released to him so slow and opposing defenders would have re-grouped and he's no Messi to beat 2, 3 or 4 defenders. Lesson learnt, release the ball early to Downing and we'll get to see the full effect of what he can do. Skrtel was superb and so is Enrique, players got bounced off from him and I didn't know he could cross the ball so well. Ok we were assisted by 3 own goals but it's a result of having enough bodies inside the box and appplying constant pressure. On most of the goals we had 4 or 5 players to force the ball over the line, never mind Brighton helped us on that, that's because we pressured them into doing it. I hope to see the same in future games.

On the whole, a good game and I thought the Brighton players were very sporting, swapping jerseys at the end of the game but can''t say the same for their fans. What needs to be said about Andy has already been said and we're beginning to see a Keegan Toshack combo here. We have to now remind ourselves that he is also good with his feet.

Next Stoke, we really need to practice in training how to go round this bus, I'm sure they're going to park that bloody irritating bus again, but no rules to say they can't. Again we must put enough bodies inside their box, the goals will come, instead of trying to break through a parked bus.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #547: Feb 20, 2012 02:55:43 pm
      How much of a free role did Johnson have?! He was everywhere on that right hand side, even popping up up front sometimes!
      redrox
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 578 posts | 13 
      Reply #548: Feb 20, 2012 04:26:29 pm
      I must say it was a cracking match from beginning to end, I admit I did feel sorry for Brighton with their own goals (not too much though), It was nice seeing Andy, Steven and Luis on the pitch together, shame about Luis's penalty but well made up over his goal a few minutes later. It was also nice seeing everyone have a giggle over the streaker especially Jamie when he had his hug :) and even the interview with Kenny when he said sorry for Luis taking the penalty, all in all a great match well done all.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #549: Feb 20, 2012 05:11:21 pm
      Yes the reds were firing on all cylinders.Saurez again was the catylst lots of times. Carrols goal was very well taken just one touch, perhaps he has passed the corner now form wise.Hope we can achieve three things this season.Fourth place, FA cup final, and carling cup final winners. if we play like we did with brighton it will happen.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #550: Feb 20, 2012 05:30:34 pm
      Suarez was brilliant in this game and it is such a relief to have him available again!  His tricky turns and direct runs caused chaos to Brighton's defense, and that helped to open up space for our other attackers to exploit.  Having Luis and Gerrard on top form together could well see us push for a place in next season's CL.  I think those two will be pivotal in our success in the next few months. 
      RedWilly

• 9,176 posts | 1630 
      Reply #551: Feb 20, 2012 05:56:22 pm
      Fantastic effort from all involved, I was impressed with everyone and glad that Downing proved me wrong, he just needs too keep that level of performance up.

Delighted for big Andy, he had a fantastic game and a good few months and we are really seeing the confidence getting back into his game now. It's clear that him and Suarez are developing an understanding and when we get him, Stevie and Suarez all fit and firing then it will click, as shown yesterday.

Good draw for the next round aswell, Stoke at Anfield. Starting to feel more and more confident of a cup double!

Quick Reply