Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool and penalties

Read 3570 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Liverpool and penalties
      Feb 28, 2012 07:18:45 pm
      Yet again we win a penalty shootout. What is it with Liverpool and penos?

Sundays league cup final was the fifth time Liverpool have won a trophy on a penalty shoot out an incredible stat surely a record?!

What was our last defeat in a penalty shoot out? Was it Wimbeldon? I dont recall losing any other one though Im still a bit hazy from the weekend!!
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Liverpool and penalties
      Reply #1: Feb 28, 2012 07:34:03 pm
      Think your right Brian off the top of my head, agsinst Wimbledon the year after we won the FA cup in 92 I think.

If I remember we actually missed a penalty in the actual game as well before it went to the shoot out..

Can't think of any more recent.

I'd much rather we start winning these finals in normal time though.. Starting to age me  :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2: Feb 28, 2012 07:47:28 pm
      Think your right Brian off the top of my head, agsinst Wimbledon the year after we won the FA cup in 92 I think.

If I remember we actually missed a penalty in the actual game as well before it went to the shoot out..

Can't think of any more recent.

I'd much rather we start winning these finals in normal time though.. Starting to age me  :D

Aldo missed the pen against the Wombles of Wimbledon, i'll never forget that moment but nor will Aldo for some strange reason  :f_whistle:

but who f***in cares so long as we get there, in fact you could argue that the players were just giving the fans their money's worth  ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #3: Feb 28, 2012 07:49:54 pm
      Aldo missed the pen against the Wombles of Wimbledon, i'll never forget that moment but nor will Aldo for some strange reason  :f_whistle:

but who f***in cares so long as we get there, in fact you could argue that the players were just giving the fans their money's worth  ;D

That wasn't in a shoot out though... But one I'll never forget, I was a gutted 10 year old at the time..

As you say though lad, as long as we win who cares... But im sure I'm getting greyer the more of these we have.  :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4: Feb 28, 2012 07:57:36 pm
      That wasn't in a shoot out though... But one I'll never forget, I was a gutted 10 year old at the time..

As you say though lad, as long as we win who cares... But im sure I'm getting greyer the more of these we have.  :D

I got 17 yrs on ya mate i'm not grey yet but my nerves get frayed more easily, i was a bag of sh*t Sunday during the shootout, and i'm sure i suffered some leakage too when Adam's kick went into orbit, i haven't checked my grits yet for any skid marks  ;D

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5: Feb 28, 2012 08:15:02 pm
      I got 17 yrs on ya mate i'm not grey yet but my nerves get frayed more easily, i was a bag of sh*t Sunday during the shootout, and i'm sure i suffered some leakage too when Adam's kick went into orbit, i haven't checked my grits yet for any skid marks  ;D

;D

At least at 27 you could drink through 88'... I just had panda pop and skips ( and tears) for company.. F***ing Dave Beasant..
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #6: Feb 28, 2012 08:27:13 pm
      I love watching penalty shootouts when I'm watching as a nutural, but when Liverpool are involved it's one of the most nerve wrecking experiences I have to deal with.
      Still better than losing though!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #7: Feb 28, 2012 08:32:02 pm
      I love watching penalty shootouts when I'm watching as a nutural, but when Liverpool are involved it's one of the most nerve wrecking experiences I have to deal with.
      Still better than losing though!

Completely agree mate, with two sides I don't care about I love watching them... With us it's a nightmare, but fortunately we haven't lost many.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Feb 28, 2012 08:43:46 pm
      Completely agree mate, with two sides I don't care about I love watching them... With us it's a nightmare, but fortunately we haven't lost many.
      Problem is we are probably due to lose one, so hopefully we can get through the rest of the FA cup without the need for one!
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #9: Feb 28, 2012 09:02:43 pm
      Our last penalty shoot-out defeat was against Northampton in the League Cup at home (September 2010)
      http://www.liverweb.org.uk/report.asp?rec_id=6543
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,202 posts | 2799 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Feb 28, 2012 09:05:01 pm
      Our last penalty shoot-out defeat was against Northampton in the League Cup at home (September 2010)

Jesus Christ Id obviously put that to the back of me head!! Shudder!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Feb 28, 2012 09:07:31 pm

Great! Then we're not due to lose one for another 10years!!  ;)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Feb 28, 2012 09:38:22 pm

Jesus how did I forget that? I was there, brought my son his first kit before that game...

Jesus Christ Id obviously put that to the back of me head!! Shudder!

Shudder indeed...
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #13: Feb 28, 2012 10:07:11 pm
      Glad I'm not the only one who forgets such results. I had to look it up (hence the posted link) when it was pointed out elsewhere we'd only ever lost twice on shoot-outs; I could only remember Wimbledon.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #14: Feb 28, 2012 10:08:35 pm
      Glad I'm not the only one who forgets such results. I had to look it up (hence the posted link) when it was pointed out elsewhere we'd only ever lost twice on shoot-outs; I could only remember Wimbledon.

I'm personally going to put it down to age and selective memory of a sh*te night..  :angel:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #15: Feb 28, 2012 10:15:54 pm
      Yet again we win a penalty shootout. What is it with Liverpool and penos?

Sundays league cup final was the fifth time Liverpool have won a trophy on a penalty shoot out an incredible stat surely a record?!

To be fair though - we have won a hell of a lot of trophies so not a huge surprise that we might have the most wins on pens as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #16: Feb 28, 2012 11:14:40 pm
      Apparently we have a better success ratio in penalty shoot outs than Germany.

All time penalty shootout win rates: LFC 11/13 (85%); Argentina 8/11 (73%); Germany (inc WG) 5/7 (71%); Brazil 7/11 (64%)

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #17: Feb 28, 2012 11:59:49 pm
      I know it was nerve wrecking watching it ,but one things for certain it has given us hope that the luck is returning and the comeback kings are here again.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #18: Feb 29, 2012 12:00:42 am
      Still could make lessen the chances of heart attacks if they win it in normal time!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #19: Feb 29, 2012 12:17:25 am
      Still could make lessen the chances of heart attacks if they win it in normal time!
      In fairness Adryan , Cardiff put up a fantastic effort and we didn"t convert our chances.And as Jimmy Greaves used to say "It"s a funny old game" .It"s a game that will always be remembered , not one that will be forgotten.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #20: Feb 29, 2012 12:23:08 am
      Was worried considering how badly we have been hitting them all year.

When Stevie and Charlie missed i was thinking we had blown it but you never give up as a LFC supporter.

Quick Reply