Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man Of The Match Today?

Martin Skrtel
      133 (49.1%)
      Stewart Downing
      107 (39.5%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      20 (7.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (0.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      0 (0%)
      Pepe Reina
      0 (0%)
      Dan Agger
      3 (1.1%)
      Craig Bellamy
      0 (0%)
      Andy Carroll
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      1 (0.4%)
      Someone else?
      2 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 264

2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation

Read 64209 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1357: Feb 28, 2012 07:18:13 pm
      The year is 2012 and 12 year old bluenose Duncan is talking to his bluenose Dad.

SON "Dad, my mates in school told me that Liverpool won the League Cup for an eighth time - are they right dad?

DAD "Yes son, it's true, but they were dead lucky son, all the way through the tournament"

SON "Why dad?"

DAD "Well in their first match....”

SON "What dad, nice easy home tie?”

DAD "Away to League 1, Exeter, pretty easy really”

SON "Yeah but usually the top teams put out a reserve side and often slip up against that sort of team don’t they? "

DAD "Well true son, but Liverpool put out a strong side and won comfortably".

SON “Oh right, well easier next game then?”

DAD "Championship team this time, Brighton".

SON "Home"

DAD "Away again?"

SON "That doesn’t sound easy?”

DAD "I guess not but they avoided the big guns in the next round too"

SON "Another League one team?”

DAD "Stoke away”

SON "Blimey, not the cliché wet evening game away to Stoke? ;D".

DAD "Yeah but they were lucky to win it!"

SON "Wasn’t that when Suarez nutmegged the defender before curling it into the corner of the net?"

DAD "Well, anyway, they had Chelsea next"

SON "Home?"

DAD "Away again"

SON "Tough! Was it close?”

DAD "Ermm they missed a penalty but got 2 lucky goals".

SON "Doesn’t sound that lucky. Who did they get in the Semis, easy tie?"

DAD "Man City"

SON "Man City - for crying out loud - what an easy draw - they've won nothing, Everton have won more than them".

DAD "Well they are top of the Premiership and have a squad that cost about a billion but the Red S*&$e managed to beat them away"

SON "Jesus Christ - so Liverpool beat the English Champions elect too"

DAD "Yes son, they ****** well did".

SON "So they had an easy match in the final then?"

DAD "Too right – Cardiff!"

SON “Oh that IS easy!".

DAD "Well son they are going for promotion in the Championship and beat Blackburn and United’s conquerors, Palace, but pretty easy, yes"

SON "So Liverpool walked it then?"

DAD "Actually no, they were 1:0 down at half time".

SON "What happened, how did Liverpool get back into the game?"

DAD "Well Liverpool finally got lucky with one of their 39 shots"

SON "39! Blimey! So what happened next - extra time?"

DAD "Yeah, and Liverpool still couldn’t beat them'"

SON "Then what"

DAD "Penalties!"

SON "English teams are crap at penalties"

DAD "They were! Gerrard and Adam missed their two”

SON "So how come they won? Who did Liverpool have left to take penalties?"

DAD "Well, Kuyt, Downing and Johnson took their last 3".

Son: “Downing and Johnson! Didn’t you say they were rubbish?!”

Dad “Well usually they are, anyway that's how Liverpool became the luckiest team to win the Carling Cup".

SON "So let's get this straight dad - Liverpool had 4 away ties, went to Stoke on a wet Wednesday and won. Beat Chelsea away, then played the most expensive team ever to be assembled.... and beat them away, before coming back from 1-0 down to beat Cardiff in the final?”

DAD "That about sums it up son"

SON "Dad?"

DAD "Yes son"

SON "Can I have a Liverpool shirt for my birthday next week, and again, can you stop calling me Duncan - I'm Stevie from now on!"

Sorry MsG. that's old and rehashed. Here is the origional. (Still have it after 5 yrs)

The year is 2007 and little bluenose Duncan is talking to his bluenose Dad.

SON “Dad, my mates in school told me that Liverpool won the European Cup for the 5th time in 2005 – are they right dad?
      DAD “Yes son, it’s true, but they were dead lucky son, all the way through the tournament”
      SON “Why dad?”
      DAD “Well in the group stages 
..”
      SON “What dad, did they have a team from Azerbaijan, Israel, and Ireland in their group?”
      DAD “Well no, they had Monaco, Deportivo la Coruna, and Olympiakos”
      SON “Well they still sound like 3 easy teams to me dad”
      DAD “Actually Monaco reached the final the year before, Olympiakos had won their league 7 times out of the previous 8 seasons, and Deportivo finished above the galacticos of Real Madrid in their league”.
      SON “Jeez dad, that sounds like quite a difficult group then”.
      DAD “yeh I suppose your right son, but they were still lucky – it took a mishit shot by Gerrard against Olympiakos to get through”.
      SON “oh is that the goal were your hero Andy Gray goes berserk shouting “you beauty, you beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!!!!”
      DAD “yes son it is”
      SON “oh ok. Well what happened in the last 16 dad, who did they draw?”
      DAD “Bayer Leverkusen”
      SON “Bayer who?”
      DAD “Exactly son, but they had beaten Real Madrid 3-0 at home, and won their group that included Dinamo Kiev and Roma too.”
      SON “bloody hell dad, they sound good”.
      DAD “yes, I suppose you’re right son”
      SON “so did they win on away goals or something”
      DAD ”errrrr, no, they won both legs 3-1 each”
      SON “oh – well who next then dad”
      DAD “Juventus”
      SON “How the f#ck did they get past them Dad?”
      DAD “Well they did – they won 2-1 at home, and cruised to a 0-0 away draw without Juve having hardly any chances”.
      SON “were Juve sh#t at that time – had all their decent players gone or something?”
      DAD “well actually they still had players like Del Piero, Nedved, Ibrahimovic, Thuram, and Buffon in the side. And they won Serie A a few weeks later.”
      SON “wow, they beat the Italian champions elect – which piss easy team did they get in the semi then?”
      DAD “Chelsea”
      SON “Chelsea – for f#cks sake – what a piss easy draw – they’ve won nothing, Everton have won more than them”.
      DAD “well that season they won the Premiership and League Cup but the Reds didn’t let them score in 180 minutes of football”
      SON “Jesus Christ – so Liverpool beat the English Champions elect too”
      DAD “yes son, they bloody well did”.
      SON “so after all that I suppose all the good teams had been knocked out”
      DAD “not quite son, AC Milan awaited them in the final”
      SON “no way – aren’t they the 2nd most successful team in the competition’s history”.
      DAD “yes son they are”
      SON “so were Liverpool lucky because Milan had all their good players out with injuries”
      DAD “no – they had Shevchenko, Crespo, Maldini, Nesta, Cafu, Kaka, Stam, Dida, Gattuso, Pirlo, and Seedorf”.
      SON “your ‘avin a laff”
      DAD “it gets worse son, Milan were cruising 3-0 up at half-time”.
      SON “what happened, did they have 3 men sent off in the second half – how did Liverpool get back into the game?”
      DAD “no, Milan had no men sent off, the Reds scored 3 goals in 6 minutes”
      SON “against the best defence in Europe”
      DAD “yes!!!, against the best defence in Europe”
      SON “so what happened next - extra time?”
      DAD “yes son, and Dudek made the luckiest save ever to stop a Shevchenko shot from a yard”
      SON “why was it lucky dad – did it hit him on the arse, nose, shoulder or something”
      DAD “no son, his hand”
      SON “well aren’t goalies meant to save shots with their hands”
      DAD “yeah but that’s besides the point”
      SON “then what”
      DAD “penalties!”
      SON “English teams are crap at penalties”
      DAD “not this f#ckin time they weren’t – they only missed one. And that’s how Liverpool became the luckiest team to win the European Cup”.
      SON “but I bet when they brought the cup home there was hardly anyone to watch as all Liverpool fans live anywhere but Liverpool you say. How many was there, 5,,000 or so?”
      DAD “1 million people lined the streets”.
      SON ”so let’s get this straight dad – Liverpool had 3 good teams in their group, they then knocked out a team who had beaten Real Madrid 3-0, they then knocked out the future Serie A champions, then knocked out the future Premiership champions, before coming back from 3-0 down to beat the 2nd most successful club in Europe. And then the whole population of Liverpool came out to welcome them home!!!!
      DAD “that about sums it up son”
      SON “dad?”
      DAD “yes son”
      SON “can I have a Liverpool shirt for my birthday next week, and can you stop calling me Duncan – I’m Stevie from now on”

:D
      MsGerrard
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1358: Feb 28, 2012 08:04:16 pm
      Sorry MsG. that's old and rehashed.

;D Doesn't matter, it's still good  ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1359: Feb 28, 2012 08:28:26 pm
      There are all good, as long as we win, and can (continue to) laugh at the BS.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1360: Feb 28, 2012 10:56:41 pm
      Havent posted anything on the game . Just letting it all flow over me. Still buzzin.

For me the pre match BBC coverage and post match analysis was deja vu.

There was so much emphasis on our history and who we are. Our legacy .... our fame ......"Anfield South" ...... and all about Kenny.

It was as if someone had gone to a library ... taken a big red book off the shelf and opened it.

They had just discovered the legacy and the giant that is Liverpool Football Club.

Game:

On this I really had that quiet confidence that went missing under the days of Woy. I felt that we would win out sitting on me sofa with my wife and boys in a foreign land.
      The youngest had timed his laundry wrong and grabbed his black LFC shirt with his name on and seven on the back ...... out of the washing basket.

The oldest wearing his red number 9 ...........had worn his since he had got up that morning.
      We had just moved house and the sat hadnt been put up so using my cunning proxy to tell the BBC I was at a UK address I linked the laptop to the Sony TV and ran I Player live.
      I wasn't going to miss this .

It was a great feeling again.

I'm a year younger than Kenny and have supported the lads since old Division Two in 1962. Ive laughed and Ive cried over the Reds but you never lose the emotion that you feel when the lads lift a trophy.

Its been a long time 6 years. Too long.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #1361: Feb 28, 2012 11:22:12 pm
      Not posted on the game due to a T*** of a stomach bug (2 days ).
      I read the thread on Liverpool pubs in London.Narrowed it down to a Walkabout Sports Bar on the Thames Embankment.I booked their vip booth for 15 (all reds ).It was truly a great experience.So many Reds in there.After the game I jumped up on the stage and fired up YNWA.The bouncer tried to remove me (to a massive booing)he walked off(to  thunderous cheers)and the anthem was completed.My 15 minutes was had.
      I gave my motm to Martin Skrtel.What a transformation this season ( Kenny's influence no doubt ).Nice to see Downing have his best game so far imo.Anyone notice he (Skrtel) seemed to forearm smash Adam,running back after he scored ;D.
      Was going to pre Book the said vip booth for 5th May(did'nt want to tempt fate ;D.)IKKWT.

Can't wait for Saturday..

Albi92
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #1362: Feb 29, 2012 03:17:35 am
      http://albs92-thoughts.blogspot.com/

Some thoughts on the Carling Cup victory. And on from that some interesting points about some successes from our season so far, and how much we can achieve with some fine tuning. Some feedback would be much appreciated thanks guys
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #1363: Feb 29, 2012 10:01:11 am
      Hi everyone,

Was told about this place on Sunday whilst enjoying a couple of cans after the game on Sunday waiting for my train. Great day out, great to be back at the home of football supporting the best club in the world. Been too long since we lifted a trophy. I know its not the one that we all crave, but it’s a great start to this new era. Anyway, hope to post more and get to know a few fellow Reds abit better.

All the best Paul.

Ps. MON was Skrtel for me  8)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1364: Feb 29, 2012 01:01:28 pm
      To be honest I was a bit shocked when Downing was chosen MOTM, and so were the people around me, he was better than his usual and had a decent game but I don't really think he shone or anything like that. Martin Skrtel on the other hand, he just won everything thrown at him, and even scored a goal (more goals than Downing in the season btw ;D), brilliant game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #1365: Feb 29, 2012 01:56:14 pm
      To be honest I was a bit shocked when Downing was chosen MOTM, and so were the people around me, he was better than his usual and had a decent game but I don't really think he shone or anything like that.

It's the classic discrepancy of watching on TV and watching at the game.  Happens almost every single time.

Everyone by me was shocked when Downing was announced as well - they all thought Skrtel deserved it.  In fact, from watching the game back it seemed that those in the BBC studio also gave it to Skrtel so I'm not quite sure who was involved in picking the official MOTM.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #1366: Feb 29, 2012 02:09:51 pm
      Agreed about the the watching on tv and watching at the game thing. Maybe it was a viewer decided thing?

I just thought Downing done what he's been brought in for. He didn't excel for me, he just had a good game. Maybe it's the contrast to how poor he's been for us that he stood out. That said, I'm made up for him and hope it boosts his confidence so he can have more of an effect in games like the one coming up on Saturday.

Skrtel was my man of the match. No doubt about it.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #1367: Feb 29, 2012 05:16:16 pm
      In American football we give an MVP to someone from both the offense and defense. That's the way I looked at this MOTM. Downing was the clear offensive MVP, while Skrtel was the defensive MVP.

There's definitely something to the TV versus Live point of view. The MOTM poll heavily favored Downing early on when I suspect people who'd watched on TV were voting. As the people who attended the game started coming in the poll flipped towards Skrtel.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #1368: Mar 01, 2012 11:15:30 am
      Get on the club's Facebook page - that is F***ing brilliant.

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1369: Mar 01, 2012 11:46:55 am
      Get on the club's Facebook page - that is F***ing brilliant.

https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolFC

Already "liked" it on Facebook, do you mean the photo at the top?

It's class!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #1370: Mar 01, 2012 11:51:56 am
      Already "liked" it on Facebook, do you mean the photo at the top?

It's class!

Buzzing of Jamie's lad getting onto whatever Suarez is shouting.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1371: Mar 01, 2012 12:47:42 pm
      Buzzing of Jamie's lad getting onto whatever Suarez is shouting.

Luckiest kid in the world.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #1372: Mar 01, 2012 03:24:26 pm

Would have been even luckier, had Jamie not nabbed the cup off him when Steven was passing it down the line!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1373: Mar 01, 2012 03:29:09 pm
      Would have been even luckier, had Jamie not nabbed the cup off him when Steven was passing it down the line!!

"Ah Dah please!"
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #1374: Mar 01, 2012 05:07:21 pm
      On the off chance that the lads are on the forum, thanks very much to the Scousers who gave me and one of the lads cans down outside Wembley!! saved us queuing to buy our own! cheers :)

Such an unreal place Wembley is, the first time you walk out through the entrance is a surreal sight. We were in Club Wembley, the posh seats! :D Top, top seats. Was at the Cardiff end but it was a neutral zone being in Club Wembley. But there was still plenty of Liverpool fans there, still sang our hearts out. Got to stand for the game too, best view in the house I think we had! :) Were sat just in front of all the TV studios, was in touching distance to God, sang a song for him and he acknowledged us! Happy out! :)

Great result too! :)

Quick Reply