Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man Of The Match Today?

Martin Skrtel
      133 (49.1%)
      Stewart Downing
      107 (39.5%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      20 (7.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (0.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      0 (0%)
      Pepe Reina
      0 (0%)
      Dan Agger
      3 (1.1%)
      Craig Bellamy
      0 (0%)
      Andy Carroll
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      1 (0.4%)
      Someone else?
      2 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 264

2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation

Read 64224 times
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1265: Feb 27, 2012 10:50:47 am
      havent  read all this thread. can i just say to  any one down on how we won that WE DID ACTUALLY WIN A TROPHY yesterday. it is and always will be the winning that  counts.how you  win is irrelevant as long as you  win. did people think  cardiff would turn up  and lie down for us!!!!!!!!!! or did most of us realise they  would raise their game and play  out  of their skins and make it as hard as possible for us.
      we won. if you arent happy we won and  how we won you have problems.
      look back just  over a year ago with those idiots still in charge. we would not have been anywhere near  wembley  yesterday. exeter would have battered us.

us and the mancs are equal in domestic cup victories 15 each.  later on in the season with a bit of luck/skill/a refs decision going our way we could win number 16, again at  wembley.just  think about that  again and then  think back  to  last  year.................... .......
      and then  think of yesterday and future years.

if we win our next  10 finals on penalties i  wont be complaining.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1266: Feb 27, 2012 10:52:46 am
      You our new lucky charm? ;)

You know you'll have to come back over for the FA Cup final, now! ;D
      Get onto to it, if anyone sees Diego we could do an amicable kidnap and keep him here a few weeks till the FA cup game.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #1267: Feb 27, 2012 11:01:01 am
      Need to settle myself with a quick cuppa.  :laugh:

Where did you get that fine mug from Racer
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1268: Feb 27, 2012 11:06:01 am
      Where did you get that fine mug from Racer

It's on the offal.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1269: Feb 27, 2012 11:14:24 am

WHERE ARE YOU FERNANDO TORRES?

I'm sorry .. who?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1270: Feb 27, 2012 11:15:14 am
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #1271: Feb 27, 2012 11:16:08 am
      By the way, if anyone wants to download the goals, highlights or the full match ..

http://liverpoolfcclips.blogspot.com/
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #1272: Feb 27, 2012 11:22:07 am
      Martin Skrtel man of the match ALL DAY LONG.

I had a brilliant day yesterday - and don't Liverpool just love putting fans through the wringer.  We were easily the better team but credit to Cardiff because they took two of the few chances they actually had.  We should never have let it get to extra time but just so pleased and relieved that we managed to come through in the end even after missing our first two pens.

Memories of yesterday will stay with me for a long time.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #1273: Feb 27, 2012 11:27:48 am
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #1274: Feb 27, 2012 11:29:21 am
      Our last three out four finals have been won via penalty shootouts.

Damn, Liverpool sure knows how to give us fans a heart attack.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #1275: Feb 27, 2012 11:31:36 am
      Martin Skrtel man of the match ALL DAY LONG.

I had a brilliant day yesterday - and don't Liverpool just love putting fans through the wringer.  We were easily the better team but credit to Cardiff because they took two of the few chances they actually had.  We should never have let it get to extra time but just so pleased and relieved that we managed to come through in the end even after missing our first two pens.

Memories of yesterday will stay with me for a long time.
      They certainly make life hard for us long suffering fans, glad you enjoyed your day out JD
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #1276: Feb 27, 2012 11:47:50 am
      Quote from ruthcity
      Lost and walking alone somewhere in London?

Finding out he has been dropped by Spain for their game in midweek, as his performances are in his coach's words "a bit irregular".
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1277: Feb 27, 2012 12:10:09 pm
      If anyone thought a Liverpool team would get to a final and give us a nice day out with a convincing win don't really know our history they make us sweat for everything and thankgod they do because it really makes you appreciate them all the more.
      I too thought Skyrtel was fantastic and what a player he has turned into and scores goals too.Downing at last went into a game with positive thoughts and it showed.
      It could be a great couple of months for us the only question in my mind is our right hand side and given the importance of the next few months I would leave Dirk in there as he was the difference for us when he came on.
      What a great day if we beat Stoke its back to Wembley again for the semi finals its just like the old days again.
      Kenny must be pleased its a measure of the mans ability to come back from nowhere in management terms to build a side and win a trophy in his first season and the experts thought he was out the game too long.
      Long live the KING.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1278: Feb 27, 2012 12:12:44 pm
      Nowt wrong with that mate my hubby's got tears as well.......but then again he is a manc supporter  :f_tongueincheek:
      Hahaha just seen this, brilliant!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1279: Feb 27, 2012 12:32:19 pm
      The day after....

Let's face it, yesterday was in a sense a no win situation for neutrals, had we won it easy that's what would be expected, had we won it how we did people talk about them ( rightly so) and suggest we were lucky.

We deserved to win that yesterday, we were the better side, had we not conceded the first goal I think we win the way we should have done on the balance of play, comfortably. They got theirselves ahead and defended for their lives, very well, their two CBS were fantastic.. But we kept going, the two up top had very little space to work in, they defended tight as a unit. They did themselves proud and I hope they go on to get up at the end of the season.

For us i felt we controlled the game really without playing at our best, I think a few of the lads were a bit nervous as they were expected to win and that maybe was the reason they weren't quite at their best. I have to say Skrtel was fantastic (my motm), truly fantastic even though didn't defend as a unit that well, Enrique switched off for their goal and put us on the back foot and a few times we weren't quite switched on and nearly got caught out from set peices or throws.. Gerrard and Adam aren't suited as a midfield two in a four, at times there was too many gaps behind them which led to one of the CBS being pulled out. Thats not saying I felt they were poor but they both require a Lucas behind them to be able to play their game naturally.

Downing was good, that's what he started the season like for me and he seems a player who needs to have his confidence high to be at his best . He puts balls in like the one in the first half and no one gets on it that's not his fault but he has done his job.. He has done that a fair few times this season ( early on) and no one has finished them off, his confidence has dropped and overall he hasn't been good enough, but that stat that some threw around about no assists no goals did my head I because when you put a ball in like the one yesterday and no one finishes it... Anyway, I hope yesterday kicks him on and he does more of that.

I'm made up by yesterday, cup finals shouldn't be easy whoever you play. Let's hope it's the first of many to come in the near future.

Well done lads.
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012 01:32:41 pm by Paisleydalglish »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #1280: Feb 27, 2012 12:36:13 pm
      Still cant believe the tension yesterday, extra time and penalties almost gave me a stroke!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #1281: Feb 27, 2012 12:46:38 pm
      Just back from London and what a great day it was yesterday.

Managed to get to Wemley by 9:00am and we were some of the first milling about, had to wait for the pub to open (the Torch) and when it did we picked the best spot for a few beers in the sunshine before making our way to the ground at 3ish.

We dont do things easily do we  :o such tension and fairplay to Cardiff who pushed us all the way. Missing Lucas was just highlighted yesterday
      Sktrel my MOM by a mile, looking forward to a afternoon on the sofa and watching the game back.

Few post match beers followed by a curry in North Harrow finished off the day perfectly.

Lets hope this is the start of something under Kenny and lets get back there in the FA Cup!
      « Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012 01:14:15 pm by kelvo »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #1282: Feb 27, 2012 12:59:53 pm
      Downing had an above average game.   I wouldn't go as far as to say superb and the fact isn't lost on me that he has had two good games against Championship sides.

Let's see him do it against Arsenal next weekend.

We really missed the protection of a Spearing/Lucas yesterday - Adam is woefully inadequate in that role and it sucks Gerrard too far deep when he should be up front.

We all know that we are not converting enough chances, or creating the kind of great chances we need but the cup is ours.  That is all that matters in the cup competitions - getting through to the next rounds and lashing your name on the trophy.

They are going to have to enjoy their day off today, and get back to business tomorrow and get themselves up for the Arsenal game.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #1283: Feb 27, 2012 01:04:40 pm
      Agree with jd about downing he was decent by no means superb and disappeared from the game as it went on.  How he won man of the match ahead of Skrtel is baffling.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #1284: Feb 27, 2012 01:09:55 pm
      Still buzzing.

Great feeling to wake up to Liverpool back among the trophies. Only team to have guaranteed European football next year. Only team to of won a major honour this season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,977 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1285: Feb 27, 2012 01:13:51 pm
      Our last three out four finals have been won via penalty shootouts.

Damn, Liverpool sure knows how to give us fans a heart attack.

Wouldn't of liked to of been in your shoes for the shoot out Adryan  ;D You fans must of gone through hell  ;D It was a credit to the players they held their nerve after missing the first two penalties.

Well done.  :)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1286: Feb 27, 2012 01:18:04 pm
      Voted for Dirk but, thinking back on this without the ten beers, there was really only Skrtel who should have won this.
      He was a beast yesterday, summed up by his brushing off of Adam, when all he wanted to do was get back playing and win the F***ing thing.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #1287: Feb 27, 2012 01:26:09 pm

Wouldn't of liked to of been in your shoes for the shoot out Adryan  ;D You fans must of gone through hell  ;D It was a credit to the players they held their nerve after missing the first two penalties.

Well done.  :)

Thanks.

It was horrible especially when Gerrard and Adam missed their kicks. They were probably our two best in the squad and they missed! The last final we won through normal goals was Worthington Cup 2003 (League Cup back then) against United :P

I'm just glad we won in the end and it doesn't matter how we won it.

Quick Reply