Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man Of The Match Today?

Martin Skrtel
      133 (49.1%)
      Stewart Downing
      107 (39.5%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      20 (7.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (0.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.1%)
      Charlie Adam
      0 (0%)
      Pepe Reina
      0 (0%)
      Dan Agger
      3 (1.1%)
      Craig Bellamy
      0 (0%)
      Andy Carroll
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      1 (0.4%)
      Someone else?
      2 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 264

2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation

Read 63634 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1288: Feb 27, 2012 01:38:14 pm

From our Malaysian Man City fans group.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: 2012 Carling Cup Final Live Thread - Liverpool v Cardiff and post match elation
      Reply #1289: Feb 27, 2012 01:39:35 pm
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1290: Feb 27, 2012 01:45:12 pm
      Voted for Dirk but, thinking back on this without the ten beers, there was really only Skrtel who should have won this.
      He was a beast yesterday

Agree with this, although I had voted Downing.

I think it's just because he's performed so poorly for such a large part of the season, that he seemed to play out of this world compared to the previous dross. And one of our few attacking players to look a genuine threat at times.

Downing had an above average game.   I wouldn't go as far as to say superb and the fact isn't lost on me that he has had two good games against Championship sides.

A fair point, but hopefully he can continue to progress, Arsenal will indeed be a massive test for him.

He was a beast yesterday, summed up by his brushing off of Adam, when all he wanted to do was get back playing and win the F***ing thing.

Interesting choice of words, looked more to me like he wanted to smash those front teeth through the back of his head! :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #1291: Feb 27, 2012 02:13:25 pm
      One of me bitter mates Facebook status

"LFC 84, 95 and 2012 league cup winners at wembley. EFC 84, 95 and 2012 FA cup winners at wembley. COYB"

Shame that 84 went to the replay an we won it at Maine Road, never mind eh?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1292: Feb 27, 2012 02:54:50 pm
      Thanks BBB thats a fantastic picture and is now my new screen saver  :gt-happyup:
      Same as Cas, cracking pic.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1293: Feb 27, 2012 03:01:52 pm
      Had a great time yesterday till my divvy manc loving sister spoiled it laughing at us when they equalised.

Ended up following the penalty shoot out on the forum so I didn't lamp her one.

All forgiven now but put a dampner on an otherwise fantastic day for everyone.

Well done lads, we're back  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1294: Feb 27, 2012 03:05:54 pm
      Can anyone put the link up where you saw the little kid from the Liverpool end poke himself in the eye. It was a classic, well worth watching him again ;D Certainly didn't put him off  celebrating.   :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1295: Feb 27, 2012 03:07:54 pm
      Can anyone put the link up where you saw the little kid from the Liverpool end poke himself in the eye. It was a classic, well worth watching him again ;D Certainly didn't put him off  celebrating.   :D

Liverpool fan pokes himself in the eye but still loves life
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1296: Feb 27, 2012 03:09:06 pm
      Downing for me was still motm, closely followed by Skrtel.

He (Downing) was our greatest threat, and he was for 120 minutes. I noticed he also did it on both wings, and scored his penalty too.

Cardiff contributed, but only by being defensive. Reason being, we battered at them for the majority of the match.

Thought Adam had a decent game, with his bringing the ball out from midfield. His passing too was good. Johnson and Kuyt apart, I didn't think anyone stood out.

Anyone notice that blonde kid in the crowd poke himself in the eye? Never stopped smiling and singing though. Brilliant moment, and had the bbc pundits laughing like mad.

Loved the clips on lfc.tv with the owners mixing it in the dressing room. Hopefully this will give them more confidence in King Kenny, and hand over the cash come Summer time.

But for now, all in all, a great day out.

Liverpool FC
      League Cup Winners 8 times
      Another record
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1297: Feb 27, 2012 03:12:29 pm
      First cup final for me and loved every minute of it.

Think I had a few too many pints in the Moore Spice before the match though, don't recall much of the first half!

Great day all around, performance wasn't anything special but its a day I will never forget.

The fact that the King has brought Silverware back to this club within his first full year really hasn't hit home yet.

We're on the march.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1298: Feb 27, 2012 03:16:38 pm
      Still buzzing from yesterday. Badly needed to win something and we did, making it much easier for us to now go on and win the FA CUP with less pressure.

The game to me seemed reminicent of many of our home performances this season. Lots of the ball, lots of chances and shots, but struggling to find clear cut openings and a clinical finish.

Cardiff defended and broke well, but we dominated the match for long periods and I have no doubts we deserved the win.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #1299: Feb 27, 2012 03:16:40 pm
      Adam and Henderson were very poor. We are missing Lucas big time!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1300: Feb 27, 2012 03:19:32 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1301: Feb 27, 2012 03:20:28 pm
      Thanks S@int. Great isn't it.  ;D
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #1302: Feb 27, 2012 03:20:39 pm
      Yep, had a great day myself yesterday at Wembley. Scary stuff at times and we should have well put them to the sword. Skrtel man of the match for me too, except he was at fault for their first goal, but couldn't fault him apart from that. Got to get more cutting creativity in that midfield, whether it's more short passing or players that take other players on, it's got to come from somewhere. That team will never win the league, but I'm delighted at winning the league cup, and hopefully we can add the FA Cup to that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1303: Feb 27, 2012 03:23:32 pm
      Said the same Kyle, anyone saying he had a good game is forgetting the performance's Lucas Leiva put in on a regular basis before his injury.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1304: Feb 27, 2012 03:23:49 pm

I agree Henderson was poor, but thought Adam had a decent game. He got up and down the pitch well, kept possession, kept the Hollywood balls to a minimum and made a lot of tackles. Looked very tired in the later stages of the game and his penalty was as poor as you will see.

I would have given Henderson a 5/10, Adam 6/10 on a day when most Liverpool players were 6/10.

Said the same Kyle, anyone saying he had a good game is forgetting the performance's Lucas Leiva put in on a regular basis before his injury.

That would be true if Adam was actually a defensive midfield player playing in his accustomed position......He's not.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #1305: Feb 27, 2012 03:32:25 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1306: Feb 27, 2012 03:33:06 pm

That would be true if Adam was actually a defensive midfield player playing in his accustomed position......He's not.
      He couldn't cut the mustard in any role for us and to waffle about accustomed positions is not helpful when the fact remains the lad is not Liverpool material and never will be.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #1307: Feb 27, 2012 03:36:02 pm
      Skrtel is surely in contention for player of the year, if not already in the lead?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1308: Feb 27, 2012 03:43:45 pm
      He couldn't cut the mustard in any role for us and to waffle about accustomed positions is not helpful when the fact remains the lad is not Liverpool material and never will be.

Fair enough if that's what you believe mate?

Personally I think he has done well (not great) this season. He must be doing something right, as he has played in most games, and we have won a cup, are still in the FA cup and still in with a decent shot at top 4. Obviously like most I hope we sign some superstar midfielder in the summer but until we do I am happy to see Adams name on the teamsheet.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #1309: Feb 27, 2012 04:10:42 pm
      Skrtel is surely in contention for player of the year, if not already in the lead?

I'd say so mate, Lucas and Suarez I would have thought would have been his competitors for it if they hadn't missed a few games.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1310: Feb 27, 2012 04:14:32 pm
      I voted for Teenage Mutant Ninja Skrtel as my man of the match, but I almost voted for Downing. He created so many chances yesterday by going at the defenders from both wings, and took his penalty very well. Skrts won everything in the air, and scored that clutch goal too. Love him to bits.

Delighted for the boys to win a trophy. For many it's their first, and hopefully not even close to their last with Liverpool :) so F***ing amped still.

Anyone know what's going on with Agger?

Quick Reply