Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Liverpool To Address Midfield Issue

Read 12182 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Liverpool To Address Midfield Issue
      Feb 28, 2012 10:42:43 am
      It is reported that Liverpool are lining up moves for Athletico Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez, Barcelona's Mali midfielder Seydo Keita
      and Lille playmaker Eden Hazard.
      Liverpool will also watch FC Basil midfielder Granit Xhaka in action this week, after director of football Damien Comolli received glowing reports on the 19 year old starlet.

Well there's no smoke without fire and our midfield appears to be a priority.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012 11:16:34 am by JD »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Lverpool To Address Midfield Issue
      Reply #1: Feb 28, 2012 10:49:31 am
      We should always be looking to evolve and improve - always. We did In the glory days and even pre H & G. You know it, I know it and, most importantly Kenny knows it.

It therefore comes as no surprise that we'll try to build on what we have and it's great to be, once again, linked with quality (if costly players). I, for one, welcome it. Onwards and upwards.

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: Feb 28, 2012 11:02:19 am
      It is reported that Liverpool are lining up moves for Athletico Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez, Barcelona's Mali midfielder Seydo Keita
      Liverpool will also watch FC Basil midfielder Granit Xhaka in action this week, after director of football Damien Comolli received glowing reports on the 19 year old starlet.

where is the transfer rumor thread!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3: Feb 28, 2012 11:04:32 am
       Absolutely fully behind this one. If we are going to not only get into the top four but actually challenge for the title, we are going to need better players. That doesn't mean that all of our players aren't decent, all of them have really good games on occasions, but better players have better games more often. Too many average players mean you get too many average results, and to my mind all three of the players mentioned would get lots of games for us.

Hazard in particular is a player I've liked a lot on the occasions I've seen him, and we need an explosive wide midfielder. It's definately the case I think that in central midfield we can't expect Gerrard to be fit all the time and play all the games, while Charlie Adam has played every match this season and it's unrealistic to expect him to do that and lead us to a title challenge as well. other two midfielders would give us balance and in the case of Martinez I'm sure would be a first team regular. Keita I think would challenge Lucas extremely hard for the holding midfielder slot (if I'm thinking about the right player that is).

I'm absolutely convinced though that we also need another striker, at least one.   

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4: Feb 28, 2012 11:10:19 am
      I'm sure we will look to bring players in the summer, I will though take any names with a pinch of salt until anything happens. I'm fairly sure the way we are working again now that any leaks won't come from our end..

I'm fairly sure we will be looking to improve on what we have now, it's the only way to keep moving forward.

Looking forward to the summer.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012 11:29:12 am by Paisleydalglish »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Re: Liverpool To Address Midfield Issue
      Reply #5: Feb 28, 2012 11:22:39 am

I'll wait and see on this, it has been reported in the Mirror, so I wouldn't like to guess on how true this is.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #6: Feb 28, 2012 11:51:56 am
      Rumours of players coming here is just almost as true as players leaving.

I'll believe it when it happens but I would love it to happen!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: Feb 28, 2012 11:54:26 am
      Wouldn't have a problem with any of these players joining us. It is clear to everyone that midfield is the major area of concern.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Feb 28, 2012 01:38:44 pm
      I don't think these rumours about top players coming to the club do us any favours. They just whet the appetite and then when we sign some lesser known player instead , which sadly given our financial situation we usually do, the player suffers by comparison and years of questions asking why did we not sign Silva/Mata/Villa etc etc instead.   

John Henry as already said that Liverpool will only spend money that we generate, so while like the rest I will hope for the superstars, I will wait till they have signed before dancing on the moon, and won't take it out on the players we do sign if they don't quite match the superstar status of those we don't sign.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #9: Feb 28, 2012 01:47:33 pm
      I disagree S@int, after hearing Comolli saying top players want to join us and Ian Ayre stating that we have funds to compete with other clubs, I'm fairly optimistic  8)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10: Feb 28, 2012 02:11:45 pm
      I disagree S@int, after hearing Comolli saying top players want to join us and Ian Ayre stating that we have funds to compete with other clubs, I'm fairly optimistic  8)

:D I think you are missing my main point mate (if I had one :) )
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #11: Feb 28, 2012 03:09:07 pm
      Javi Martinez and Eden Hazard? Yes please... :roll:
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #12: Feb 28, 2012 03:42:27 pm
      I have to say, I don't really care what the name or pricetag of the players we buy is, just as long as we are strengthening our best 11 and not buying squad players again this summer.  We have a good, deep squad that can cope with a few injuries/suspensions.  However, we are still in desperate need of another creative influence who can unlock a tight defense and score/create goals against teams that park the bus against us.  A player like Hazard/Affelay/Krasic/Lucas (not Leiva) who can give us that extra bit of flair to help turn some of those pesky draws into wins.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #13: Feb 28, 2012 03:47:39 pm
      Macedonian_Stuey  :P
      LFCexiled
      Reply #14: Feb 28, 2012 03:50:46 pm

Better check those IP addresses forthwith.  >:D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Feb 28, 2012 03:52:33 pm

Nice one Stuey.
      Any chance you can consecutively post some new football kits while your at it.
      Cheers. :D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16: Feb 28, 2012 03:53:35 pm

Was about to post that myself.  :D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #17: Feb 28, 2012 03:54:35 pm
      Liverpool Echo

Reds To Target Big Names - Comolli

Damien Comolli says Liverpool's return to Europe will hep them attract "big" new players this summer.
                      The Reds Carling cup success guarantee's them a Europa League spot next season, but of course
                      they will be desperate to secure a Champion's League place by finishing in the top four in the
                      Premier League.
                      Director of football Comolli however, revealed that potential targets have already been identified
                      and says the club's return to continental competitions will make them a more attractive proposition.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/02/28/liverpool-fc-damien-comolli-eager-to-attract-big-names-to-anfield-after-carling-cup-win-100252-30420082/                                                 

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012 04:06:27 pm by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #18: Feb 28, 2012 03:57:57 pm
      where is the transfer rumor thread!!
      Think JD removed it until something worthwhile happened mate, couldn't find it meself.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Feb 28, 2012 04:04:15 pm
      Keita? He's older. He can help out in the midfield but it's not an investment for the future, certainly. Now Javi Martinez on the other hand, well...jizz.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #20: Feb 28, 2012 04:09:33 pm
      Some good players named in there, unfortunately I don't see us landing Javi Martinez- first of all Athletic are one point back of champions' league and if they make it I think their players will all stay. But if he does move I think it would be to Real Madrid, Marca have already come out and said he's Mou's number one target.

Hopefully these rumors are true though, would love to see Hazard in here especially.

And if we're looking at the midfield how about Younes Belhanda from Montpellier? Would love him here
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Feb 28, 2012 04:10:22 pm
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #22: Feb 28, 2012 04:13:21 pm

Hopefully these rumors are true though, would love to see Hazard in here especially.

And if we're looking at the midfield how about Younes Belhanda from Montpellier? Would love him here
      Comolli states that target's "have been identified" that's about as positive as it gets buddy.

Quick Reply