Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Malaysian Reds to boycott national papers

Read 6645 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: Malaysian Reds to boycott national papers
      Reply #23: Mar 04, 2012 05:12:38 pm
      Fact No. 5: We are still a long way from being the finished product. We still need to purge some deadwood from the team and bring in some real quality signings.

Every red fans knew that and that's how a team in transition play. Sometimes we played great and sometimes we were poor. Expecting to win against a Championship side with a big margin especially in the finals was truly hard. That was the final where both teams will put on their best performance to win. Nothing to be ashamed of being held by a Championship club. Actually I loved watching the game. Cardiff gave us the run of our money. Pretty proud of those bluebirds.

What pisses me off was how on earth a self confessed red fan slagged off his team in public. When the hope was with him to restore our pride back against the tyranny of witch hunting media, he changed fur and jumped into the witch hunt wagon. I was pretty disappointed really when I read his article. Not a single word to jump into our defense and yet try to justify the s**tstirring headline his newspaper has written towards us.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #24: Mar 04, 2012 05:22:52 pm
      One reader did send his opinion to that so called fan

Harrison Gan
      My letter to R. Manogararan today:-

In refer to today Red2TheCore column with the headline “Red Pride Rising”, i'm shocked, or to be honest, undescribable word's to express my disappoinment with your renewing criticism's of
      Liverpool after the infamous last one. To make it a double insult, is your self-proclaimed “staunch
      & devout supporter since 72” but your action's doesn't imply like one, or even put a 5 yrs-old Reds
      supporter to shame! We don't expect you to drape in a Reds scarf ( with the SHANKLY word
      emblazoned ) & the 70's or 80's retro kit to show your seniority but at least speak's like one.
      And responsible, too.
      The Reds has just won it's first trophy after a long six years, while the euphoria may not matched
      the Champions League success, but at least the lads deserve a small pat in the back. I understand the
      heading ( They Wish ) is meant to be cheeky but it came on the wrong time. After your infamous
      Suarez article, many Reds fan's are not happy with The Starsport open criticism of the club. Moreover, if those words came from the mouth of it's own fan. Your action indirectly is delighting our rival supporters. None columnist of each respective club's in the weekly “This Is Football” column make fun of their own club with the exception of you. To claim that we, Reds
      supporters lack humourity, composure, dignity & sporting attitude is an insult to us. Sure, we have
      no problem with sarcasm or joke's but not that insulting ( THEY WISH ) to demean our club
      achievement. I may not be an ESPN pundit to counter your facts but I hoped to answer humbly in
      my opinion as an average Liverpool supporter ala football at mamak-style way:-

Fact No.1:-
      With the increasing competitiveness of both the domestic & European competition's, club's does
      not have the same luxury of the last 10 years, to choose which trophy they want to win. Any
      opportunity which landed on their hands have to be grab. It's no difference with the Carling Cup
      despite it's 2nd tier cup status. Recently, the cup has become notorious for sealing the fate of club
      who failed to win it, no thanks to a London-based club! If the cup were of no importance, what's the
      purpose of Roberto Mancini selecting his first-teamers for the semi's against Liverpool? If Chelsea,
      instead of Liverpool, were to win the Carling Cup, I bet AVB job would be safe by now! Even,
      Arsene Wenger would be very pleased to win it last season if the outcome were to prove costly to his career!

Fact No.2 & 3:-
      Again, i stressed, there's no such thing as an easy final in the history of football. Maybe, it does happen in school-level cup tournament but not in professional football. Despite their Championship status, with no respect, smaller club's has gained giant-killing reputation when playing against bigger club. The 1988 League Cup final is a classic example. Or maybe you can still remember our defeat to Wimbledon in the 88 FA Cup final? Infact the Liverpool players should be applauded for their performance's during the passage to the final where they hold the disadvantage of playing most of their matches away from home. But sadly, you focused only on the final & used it to summarised the club overall performances. To slagged-off the new signings is not a good idea, though, as some of them does contribute to our cup success. Without Suarez double in the victory against Stoke, do you think we can go far?
      While I may agree with you on the quality of our young signings but I do blame it on the British media, too. The British sports journalist have the obsession of creating the next big “hype” of their new talents & the comparison with their former great's. Thus, you have the “new Beckham”, “new Stevie G” or “new Rooney” put out in the market like a fresh young whore to auction for the highest bidders! The same tagline also extend to the international market where the "German Theo Walcott", "Serbian Peter Crouch" & "Malaysian David Beckham" are marketed by greedy agents looking for big profits. Unfortunately, Henderson & Carroll are one of those youngsters price high than their actual worth. They may cost expensive but don't forget they are still young & on learning curve. Even Lucas Leiva have to endured three season's of boo's & criticism's before emerge as a great player! Let them gain experience before you start criticising them!

Fact No. 4:-
      As I say, the league is getting tougher each year. Spending 100 million pounds alone doesn't guarantee you success overnight. Just look at Chelsea whose spending are bigger than us & yet, they are struggling to fight for the top four. Even worse, they have NONE trophy to boast this season despite AVB promise of landing FOUR trophy earlier in the season! Manchester City is another fine example of a big spending club who overlay their ambition plan stages by stages without pressuring their manager with unrealistic targets.

Fact No.5 & 6:-
      You are one of those dinosaurs who still “live in the past glories” & placed unnecessary high hope for this current team to thrash the pulp outta smaller club like in the 70's heyday. Honestly, our current team lacked the ruthlesness of the 70's, 80's or even, Rafa Benitez side. Kenny Dalglish has, also, warned before not to put too much high hope's on his rebuilding side but maybe the return of the king has rekindled too much nolstalgia hence, the expectation is much higher.
      There's no doubt, we are, at best, a team in transition but that does not mean you can take away our success by based on what you describe a “poor final performance” alone. I understand your personal anguish at the lacked of beautiful football & ruthless finishing of our current team but as a sports journalist you have to be professional & impart fairness in your articles in order to avoid unnecessary backlash. There's no point in using cheap-skate controversies to sell the paper as in long run, you are in danger of losing readership. Unless you would be glad if The Star were to be renamed as “The Rubbish Paper”.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #25: Mar 04, 2012 05:28:45 pm
      S
      Red pride rising
      OUR days ago, Starsport carried a heading titled “Make Way for the Reds (They wish)” in its back page.
      And guess what? We received phone calls and emails from irate Kop fans condemning us for “belittling” Liverpool’s achievements and “insulting” an institution revered throughout the world because of those two words in parentheses.
      Now hang on a second, all you Kop.

I am a staunch and devout Liverpool fan myself – have been since 1972 and always will be. That’s why I am Red2TheCore.
      So, believe me when I say that those two words were never meant to insult or belittle Liverpool in any way.
      It was put there to temper my fellow Reds’ expectations after our League Cup win over Cardiff City. A tongue-in-cheek reality check.
      If only we were so passionate about the injustices in society and life. This is sports. It is meant to be fun. It is meant to encourage friendly rivalry, banter and opposing views. Not shut off dissent or open debate. That’s not sports. That’s intolerance so unbecoming of true Kop fans.

Such emotional and irrational reaction is sad indeed. Thankfully, it was only a small faction of the glorious legion of Liverpool fans.
      Yes, we won the League Cup for a record eighth time on Sunday. It was our first trophy in six years. That’s a long time for any Liverpool fan used to the glory days of the 70s and 80s.
      So cheers to that and enjoy the moment.
      But let’s face some home truths as I reel out the facts the Rafa Benitez way.
      Fact No. 1: It’s just the League Cup – not the EPL or Champions League crown. Heck, it’s not even the FA Cup.
      Fact No. 2: We very nearly lost to a Championship (Second Division) side, for heaven’s sake!
      Full credit to Cardiff City, who played well, showed plenty of heart and gave it a real go.
      They held Liverpool, of Premier League pedigree, to a 2-2 draw after extra-time, forcing the match to be decided on penalties (which we thankfully won 3-2).
      Fact No. 3: We played poorly. For a club with Premier League and Champions League ambitions, we were pathetic (except for the early stages of the first half). And we had five players worth a total of more than £100mil on show – Andy Carroll (a club record £35mil), Stuart Downing (£20mil), Jordan Henderson (£20mil), Charlie Adam (£8mil) and Luis Suarez (£25mil).
      And what did we get from them?
      Carroll battled hard and … that’s about it. Henderson was a sheer waste of money. Adam was a mere passenger. Suarez was mediocre on the night. Only Downing came anywhere close to justifying his big-money transfer.
      Fact No. 4: We are definitely not ready to fight for a top four finish – let alone the Premier League title. Not based on the performance against Cardiff.
      Fact No. 5: We are still a long way from being the finished product. We still need to purge some deadwood from the team and bring in some real quality signings.
      Fact No. 6: We need to beat the lower rung teams with the kind of efficiency and ruthlessness that the Liverpool of old did back in the good old days.
      It’s one thing beating the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur but what is the point if we then go out and lose to (no disrespect guys) Norwich, Stoke, Bolton and the like.
      Can Liverpool fans look me in the eye and say that the team are on the verge of greatness? We are, at best, a team in transition.
      There is no need to lose our perspective, composure, dignity or sense of humour.
      http://football.thestar.com.my/2012/03/03/red-pride-rising/

And guess the reactions after his thoughts was printed on paper?

1.Bev TJoeman: The more I read the more disgusted I get!!! He's belittling our responses & heart felt pride in our team!! Tag LFCtv unto this   rag.. Let them know of so-called Red Mano's take on LFC and on the Red Fans!!

2.Azri 'Ace' Abdullah Paljeet :you read it the way you want to ... I read it as an arrogant 'fan' trying to justify what was written by his idiotic colleagues ... with no remorse , disrespecting the club and it's fans ... even to the point of dismissing us for voicing out our displeasure ... if these idiots think they can just write anything just cause they're so-called 'journalists' and there are no consequences ...
      It's time to show that they do not screw with Liverpool FC and it's fans ... !!

3.Surin Jesuthasan:Hey Mano if you are really red to the core, what do the lyrics of You'll Never Walk Alone say? It is about standing by each other through thick or thin. We should encourage our team and support them.

Can you imagine what it would have been if every Liverpool fan at Istanbul on that faithful night was to think like you and just slagged off the team at half time for being 3-0 down. It was the support and loud singing of YNWA that boosted the teams confidence which led them to win their 5th European cup & their 8th European honours.

I as a hardcore Kopite since 1978, when I was a wee lad of 8 years, observe a sublime performance that demolished a hugely talented Spurs team 7-0. Naturally at that age, I decided that this was the team I was going to support.

34 years have past and I have gone through so much joy and pain. I have cried tears of joy and pure sadness. I have witnessed tragedies being associated to Liverpool FC along with glory as well. Yes, there were times, I would curse and yell when the team makes silly mistakes but never have I slagged them off or disrespected them in public. More so when they have achieved something.

Think about this, since our last title in 1990, what is the worst LFC has done? It has been frustrating, but do we dump them and slag them off till they win the League title? I would hate to think if you have children and when they do not perform to your expectations that you would berate them in public. Rather than encourage them to do better.

4.Shaun Ooi : I just feel journalist should not generalise with the rest of the fans their opinion. i was truly and well happy with the Carling Cup "thriller". I was happy with Istanbul and the FA Cup win that were both equally dramatic and comebacks of the century. So, if he expects an easier win then where's the fun in that? I always feel winning and losing in football is part of the game, the thing you can't buy is excitement, suspense, fear, anxiety, elation and the joy of knowing your team fought hard or made to fight hard for the win. it's what cups are made of. So if Mano does not understand that, then he should be a plastic waving fan because then any money team would give u a good time (he wish). and I put the brackets in with no sarcasm.

And the best part is they did actually e-mailed Stan Chart about this matter and did get the response.
      Response from Standard Chartered:
      Thanks for your comments about headline in The Star. We will of course let the paper know that we’ve received this feedback and we’re sure they will take it on board. Ultimately though we shouldn’t let this detract from what was a fantastic result for the Reds with more to come in the FA Cup hopefully!

Some idiot manc on a wind up, why waste the F***ing brain cells on drivel like that? If I'm honest I've got to say it's surprising to see the nonesense on the forum, ill conceived and woefully written
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #26: Mar 04, 2012 10:48:59 pm
      Fair play to them. YNWA  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #27: Mar 06, 2012 03:27:36 am
      that article is so sh*t like everything in newspapers. "it's not even the FA cup!". no sh*t, it's the league cup, they're all trophies. hate the F***ing media. they try and make the masses think how they want. oh X is sh*t, Y is sh*t, the paper said so. in reality a trophy is a trophy.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #28: Mar 06, 2012 10:51:15 am
      Point is, he claims to be a die hard fan since 1972 but he was belittling the club's League Cup success.

While it's not as prestigious as other mentioned trophies, it wasn't necessary to wind fans up.

Quick Reply