Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who played the best today?

Pepe Reina
      (0.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (14.2%)
      Jose Enrique
      (6.7%)
      Jay Spearing
      (20.9%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (10.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (8.2%)
      Stewart Downing
      (5.2%)
      Luis Suarez
      (28.4%)
      Other
      (5.2%)

Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal: In-Game and Post Match Frustration

Read 53257 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Arsenal: In-Game and Post Match Frustration
      Reply #851: Mar 05, 2012 12:11:08 pm
      36 points left to fight for its up to us .If we start being more clinical in front of goal we can still push up the league its far from over.Saturday was our entire season in 90 mins and its frustrating to say the least as we should have more points and goals than we have.Kenny has still to finish his first full season and has the league cup already bagged so with the fa cup firmly in his radar this season is shaping up to be a very succesful one.
      I backed Rafa 100% and its the same with Kenny not a single doubt in my mind he is the right man 4th place and top 4 would be an incredible season and its still all to play for as this time last year it was all over.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      Reply #852: Mar 05, 2012 12:13:14 pm
      Sorry mate, but I feel its beyond us.

Never.

"We fight, fight, fight for Liverpool
      The team that Shankly bred"
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #853: Mar 05, 2012 12:18:31 pm
      Never.

"We fight, fight, fight for Liverpool
      The team that Shankly bred"

Don't get me wrong, I'll fighting as much as I can - well singing, shouting and supporting anyway! Not so sure some of our players feel quite the same. We will win games between now and the end of the season, thing is so will Arsenal & Spurs. The gaps to big... or is it! Your right, its not over & until it is we are still in it  8)
      tree86
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 37 posts |
      Reply #854: Mar 05, 2012 12:43:24 pm
      That sums up our whole season, scared of putting the ball in the net.

I understand that Henderson is young and needs time but why is he getting a start every week?

We need a striker like Cavani, Huntelaar, Benzema etc who actually put the ball in the net!
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,487 posts | 231 
      Reply #855: Mar 05, 2012 01:48:14 pm
      That sums up our whole season, scared of putting the ball in the net.

I understand that Henderson is young and needs time but why is he getting a start every week?

We need a striker like Cavani, Huntelaar, Benzema etc who actually put the ball in the net!

I wonder if the people who were glad we didnt go in for Darren Bent in January are regretting those thoughts now. He does know where the back of the net is, even though he offers next to nothing in a team, apart from running into channels.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #856: Mar 05, 2012 01:52:57 pm
      I wonder if the people who were glad we didnt go in for Darren Bent in January are regretting those thoughts now. He does know where the back of the net is, even though he offers next to nothing in a team, apart from running into channels.

Maybe before he got injured! I know you know that. Just kidding. I would have taken Bent at the right price £12M and he would have been a good buy & you are right he knows where the net is. He offers enough if he is scoring. Others can create, he does make space as well. Doesnt have the best movement, but does enough. Certainly a better option than some we have.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #857: Mar 05, 2012 02:15:03 pm
      Maybe before he got injured! I know you know that. Just kidding. I would have taken Bent at the right price £12M and he would have been a good buy & you are right he knows where the net is. He offers enough if he is scoring. Others can create, he does make space as well. Doesnt have the best movement, but does enough. Certainly a better option than some we have.

That's a perfect example of why we probably didn't spend in January though Paul. People keep saying we should of signed him or him or whoever but you said right price.. 12 m.. Do you honestly think that Villa would have let him go for that? They would want double that and rightly we wouldn't pay that.

I've heard Huntelaar mentioned with similarly low prices.. Schalke would want 25-30 at least in January as they know it's a small market and that your desperate and that they need over the odds to replace.

The right deals at our level are very rarely available in January.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #858: Mar 05, 2012 02:20:48 pm
      That's a perfect example of why we probably didn't spend in January though Paul. People keep saying we should of signed him or him or whoever but you said right price.. 12 m.. Do you honestly think that Villa would have let him go for that? They would want double that and rightly we wouldn't pay that.

I've heard Huntelaar mentioned with similarly low prices.. Schalke would want 25-30 at least in January as they know it's a small market and that your desperate and that they need over the odds to replace.

The right deals at our level are very rarely available in January.

Totally agree, it's hard to accept when we want a striker. But we must, not everthing is done to please our club.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #859: Mar 05, 2012 02:26:33 pm
      Totally agree, it's hard to accept when we want a striker. But we must, not everthing is done to please our club.

Exactly mate.

It's fine everyone saying go and sign a striker in January, who knows they may have tried and not been able to. The selling clubs may have made the deals unworkable which they are in their rights to do, why would they want to lose a good striker mid season..

The same people would complain had we over paid for someone.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #860: Mar 05, 2012 02:36:45 pm
      The same people would complain had we over paid for someone.

Don't be silly, nobody ever mentions the fee we paid for Andy Carroll.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #861: Mar 05, 2012 02:46:54 pm
      Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta has thanked Liverpool staff, players and fans for their support after he was injured at Anfield.

The Spaniard, who was at Everton for six years before leaving last summer, collided with Jordan Henderson in the second half of his side's win on Saturday and after lengthy treatment was carried off on a stretcher.

He was taken to hospital in the city as Arsenal's medical staff were concerned about a possible neck injury but he was released later that day, although manager Arsene Wenger has ruled him out for a week to recover from concussion.

"I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me on Saturday," wrote Arteta in an open letter on arsenal.com. "After my accident on the pitch, the Arsenal medical staff did a great job, together with everyone at Liverpool Football Club.

"I've since looked back at the TV images of when I was being taken off and just want to show my appreciation to the Liverpool fans at Anfield.

"It is touching to receive that response from the fans of a great club when I am leaving the pitch injured.

"Thank you.

"I also want to thank Pepe Reina and the Liverpool players who have sent me messages of support and friendship, this again is really touching and just shows class from a great football club.

"And very importantly, a message to all the fantastic Arsenal fans, not only all those at Anfield on Saturday who were brilliant, but also those who have sent me many messages since Saturday.

"It is hugely appreciated. I cannot tell you how much this means to me."

Like his mate Alonso, a touch of class from Arteta
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #862: Mar 05, 2012 06:00:30 pm
      Arteta - Ex Bluenose and Gunner, still a class guy! Gone up a lot in my estimation - and well done to the fans on the day for this, the type of creadit we are used to getting!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #863: Mar 05, 2012 07:55:27 pm
      Absolutely right, credit where it's due, well said Arteta.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #864: Mar 05, 2012 08:08:54 pm
      Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta has thanked Liverpool staff, players and fans for their support after he was injured at Anfield.

The Spaniard, who was at Everton for six years before leaving last summer, collided with Jordan Henderson in the second half of his side's win on Saturday and after lengthy treatment was carried off on a stretcher.

He was taken to hospital in the city as Arsenal's medical staff were concerned about a possible neck injury but he was released later that day, although manager Arsene Wenger has ruled him out for a week to recover from concussion.

"I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me on Saturday," wrote Arteta in an open letter on arsenal.com. "After my accident on the pitch, the Arsenal medical staff did a great job, together with everyone at Liverpool Football Club.

"I've since looked back at the TV images of when I was being taken off and just want to show my appreciation to the Liverpool fans at Anfield.

"It is touching to receive that response from the fans of a great club when I am leaving the pitch injured.

"Thank you.

"I also want to thank Pepe Reina and the Liverpool players who have sent me messages of support and friendship, this again is really touching and just shows class from a great football club.

"And very importantly, a message to all the fantastic Arsenal fans, not only all those at Anfield on Saturday who were brilliant, but also those who have sent me many messages since Saturday.

"It is hugely appreciated. I cannot tell you how much this means to me."

Like his mate Alonso, a touch of class from Arteta

Great class from a bunch of racist scouse cu*ts eh? ;)

That result was incredibly frustrating. But, it wasn't even a surprise anymore unfortunately. It's a problem we have had since day one against Sunderland, and unfortunately it is a problem we will see right until the end of the season (hopefully improve, but I can see us being frustrated a few more times). What's annoying is for years we seemed to not have the team to feed a great striker that we always have had - now we are pumping balls in and don't have the great striker to do what needs to be done (f**k, how lucky are Arsenal having RVP!)

I think Suarez had his best game since coming back from suspension though, and was unlucky not to score. But he still seems to be having too much on his shoulders to do, not enough help in this game. But if he stays fit, I can see him dragging us out of a few more games this season and maybe helping us make a run at fourth still. Still in it of course, but we've made it very tough on ourselves. A long shot. But I never give up.

Henderson I am seeing more and more that I like. I honestly believe next season we will see a vastly improved Hendo due to his experiences this season. More and more I'm seeing him look more comfortable out there, he's starting to do things on footballing instinct rather than overthinking as he looked to do earlier on. I think he's gonna be worth the punt we took.

Not that this hasn't been said - but sadly, Carra just doesn't have it to play against the top strikers anymore. He looked bewildered by RVP the few times the ball went up there. It's sad to me, I love the guy. And he's a great guy to have in the squad. But he just let RVP go too easy. Part of that is RVP's skill, of course. But I can't see Agger or Skrtel at their best letting him go so easy.

Also - I'm one to stick by a player through thick and thin, and I'm not ragging on Charlie as a fella. But I'm sick of him on the field. I have no faith in him anymore in the role he is playing. Makes stupid decisions too often, and he's not a young fella at all. Not like Hendo who can refine his game. I can't see him getting much better, and he was especially terrible the other day. Stupid fouls, and stupid passes.

Frustrating. Not a great way to spend a Saturday morning at all. But we have to put this in the back of the mind, work on our finishing, and reload for the next game. Season aint over yet!
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #865: Mar 05, 2012 08:36:24 pm
      Just got back from my weekend Liverpool. It was great! Very good pré match drinking and singin in the Park. Then to the grond for a good game but unfortunaly a bad result. We were obviously the better team but again failed to take our chances and got punished by Van Persie. This has been the story of our season. Our amount of goals scored is abysmal. If Carroll and Suarez don't start putting the ball in the net more, we'll need to address this issue during the summer window!

The atmosphere was not as I expected for a game against Arsenal. Heard some parts of the kop getting it going, but it hardly spread to other parts. I sat in the Lower centenary and had more than once the feeling I was singin on my one.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #866: Mar 05, 2012 09:41:00 pm
      Its obvious to many saurez has failed to live up to expectations, we need a clinical striker. Van Persie 2 shots on goal and two goals and we might very well get the same point total as last year.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #867: Mar 05, 2012 10:54:13 pm
      I maybe wrong but I saw a midfield which, out-passed, out-fought and out-played, the often praised, Arsenal midfield for most of, if not all of, the game. A midfield which dominated the game and created enough (whilst limiting Arsenal's) chances to have easily won the game. I dare say they wouldn't be the first choice 'three' in a fully fit squad boosted by big name signings but... they weren't too shabby yesterday. We lost through NO fault of theirs.

Spearing aside, what did Adam or Henderson actually contribute to the game?

Ok, Henderson was decent in the first half and crossed for the goal but like to often went missing in the 2nd half.

RVP aside, Arsenal were poor.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #868: Mar 06, 2012 12:19:37 am
      Everyone is saying Suarez's goal tally for this season is poor. Considering his 9 game ban and a probable target of 15-20 goals for the season he is on course for doing his bit in my book. Yes he should have more given the chances he has had but he has been unlucky.

That montage of great saves at the end of MOTD2 was almost entirely dedicated to final minute saves from opposition keepers at Anfield.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #869: Mar 06, 2012 12:52:08 am
      Its obvious to many saurez has failed to live up to expectations, we need a clinical striker. Van Persie 2 shots on goal and two goals and we might very well get the same point total as last year.

Suarez has failed to live up to expectations?

You are joking aren't you? It's more like the underperformers around him have failed to meet up to expectations what Suarez scores 90% of the time he creates himself.

Ever watched him play for Uruguay when he has Cavani playing with him?

Not sure who "Foxsports"here in Australia purchased the broadcast from in the UK but never in my time watching the Premiel League have I seen a penalty tackle replayed so much all in gist to try and potray Suarez as a diver and a cheat. I swear they must have replayed it 14 times and even had it in a huge magnified view up until the point it was clear in feeze frame that Scezny got him with his shin.

Really pissed me off that you never would have seen that had United played, disgrace.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #870: Mar 06, 2012 07:25:55 am
      Not sure who "Foxsports"here in Australia purchased the broadcast from in the UK but never in my time watching the Premiel League have I seen a penalty tackle replayed so much all in gist to try and potray Suarez as a diver and a cheat. I swear they must have replayed it 14 times and even had it in a huge magnified view up until the point it was clear in feeze frame that Scezny got him with his shin.

Really pissed me off that you never would have seen that had United played, disgrace.

That really fu**ed me off.

In real time, it was clear to me there'd been contact, it was that obvious. You could see his trailing leg doing that "vibrating" wobble that you can't simulate if there hasn't been actual contact.

The replays confirmed it for me, thanks to the mega-zoom (:roll:).

Anyway, surely their keeper not jumping around looking pissed off and running to the referee was a hint as well.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #871: Mar 06, 2012 08:19:54 am
      Spearing aside, what did Adam or Henderson actually contribute to the game?

I guess we all see the game different Kelvo. You saw Spearing control the game single handed against a poor Arsenal side; I saw a three that, in the first half in particular, played some really nice, slick, passing football creating chance after chance as they did so and stymieing Arsenal along the way. In my opinion.

Like I said... "I might be wrong".

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #872: Mar 06, 2012 08:21:52 am
      3 ex refs I've heard on various outlets have all said it was a penalty no doubt.

My first instinct was penalty and I usually go with that. If it had been Pepe who had come sliding out feet first I wouldn't have any complaints.

Penalty all day.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,976 posts | 2709 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #873: Mar 06, 2012 09:26:42 am
      I'm not saying it wasn't a penalty but he did make a meal of it. Do we agree on that??

Did the ref see it?? On freeze frame you can see the doubts that are creeping in.

Quick Reply