Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

One point better off than last season...

Read 30883 times
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Re: One point better off than last season...
      Reply #23: Mar 03, 2012 05:44:42 pm
      Winning a trophy brings a winning mentality. Brings European football (guaranteed). Brings prize money. Brings success.

Coming fourth brings a Champions League qualifier which you could lose and end up in the Europa League anyway. Brings more prize money for a higher finish.

I wouldn't say it brings a great deal more to the table and for Liverpool Football Club fourth brings nothing to celebrate.
      It is a very close call, if we do get that winning mentality from the league cup it will be worth far more than a top four finnish
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #24: Mar 03, 2012 05:47:13 pm
      It is a very close call, if we do get that winning mentality from the league cup it will be worth far more than a top four finnish

Exactly mate.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #25: Mar 03, 2012 06:07:34 pm
      Winning a trophy brings a winning mentality.

Last year's Carling Cup winner Birmingham City went 2-3-7 after that victory, were then relegated, and are currently in 6th place in the Championship this season. How has their mentality become more "winning"?

Roy Hodgson -- yes THAT Roy Hodgson -- has as many victories with West Brom as Kenny does this season. Think about that. After all the money we've spent. After how Hodgson was ridiculed here.

I keep trying to believe we've improved.   :-\
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #26: Mar 03, 2012 06:24:56 pm
       I cannot see how people can say we have been "woeful" in the league, it's another knee jerk. We weren't "woeful" today, we absolutely battered them and got done. That's been the story all season.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Mar 03, 2012 06:26:00 pm
      We have being woeful in the league, people denying that are blind, we are 27 points behind Man City.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #28: Mar 03, 2012 06:28:01 pm

Last year's Carling Cup winner Birmingham City went 2-3-7 after that victory, were then relegated, and are currently in 6th place in the Championship this season. How has their mentality become more "winning"?

Roy Hodgson -- yes THAT Roy Hodgson -- has as many victories with West Brom as Kenny does this season. Think about that. After all the money we've spent. After how Hodgson was ridiculed here.

F**k ME, i despair sometimes i really do !!  :f_doh:  :(
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #29: Mar 03, 2012 06:29:35 pm
      We havent improved in the league we might be playing more attractive football but we havent improved. Towards the end of last season we were playing better footbal under Kenny
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Mar 03, 2012 06:30:24 pm
      After 26 PL matches last season we had 38 points (W11 D5 L10  GD+3).
      After today we have 39. (W10 D9 L7  GD+5)
      Our league position remains the same (7th).

A great deal of soul-searching needs to be done.

Cup in the bag, qualified for Europe and playing a lot better football. If we had a Robbie Fowler we'd be laughing. No comparison to last season.

Robbie Fowler..go get him Kenny!!
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #31: Mar 03, 2012 06:34:03 pm
      Not all doom and gloom then.  At least we're better off with 12 PL games to go.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #32: Mar 03, 2012 06:35:10 pm
      There is zero progression in the league, will FSG back Kenny heavily again in the transfer market because it is clearly needed
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #33: Mar 03, 2012 06:41:40 pm
      I think the good work Kenny and Clarke have done this season in the league has been sabotaged by the woeful scoring record of our attacking players, Suarez included. The team in the vast majority of games this season have been the equal or superior to the opposition. The continual problem has been killing off the games we dominate.

One world class striker isn't enough to solve it though. Our wide players and centre midfielders have to contribute important goals when the strikers are having a bad game. Preferably the likes of Adam, Henderson and Downing won't start so much next year because for me they wouldn't be good enough to start every week in teams like Man City or Man Utd and shouldn't be for us either if want to be champions.

I believe if we spent big on the likes of Hazard, Huntelaar and Javi Martinez we have the makings of a championship challenging squad. But the attackers we sign this summer really have to be clear successes because it's the element of our team that is killing us every week - and nearly cost us against Cardiff too
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34: Mar 03, 2012 06:45:51 pm
      City spent GAZILLIONS for several seasons. And even at that it's only this season that it's really come together for em. And even still, they've not won the league yet. And they're out of the cups and had a crap CL. So stats not great for them maybe, but you gotta think they are on an upswing.
      We invested last season, sure, but I didn't expect us to rocket to the top this year. There is still work to do. But compared to the last two seasons, which were pretty forgettable, I think at least this year that we've deserved way more than we've got. Last season there was an feeling that we got what we deserved. This season we're scrating our heads wondering why we've not got way more.
      We'll make changes up front in the summer. I've no doubt. If we do, we'll come back stronger again. The players will be more settled. And this season we've a cup in the back pocket and still in another.
      Look at Chelsea, 7 pts ahead or whatever, but I just feel we're in better shape as a squad than they are (for several reasons). Stats might not bear that out, but there you go. Maybe it's red-tinted specs, I dunno.
      I just feel better about the club this season, whatever the stats might be saying.

woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #35: Mar 03, 2012 06:47:33 pm
      We certainly look more like a team than last year, and it's clear that we need a "fox in the box" so I don't think we need to many changes in the summer. I would prioritise a goal scorer!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #36: Mar 03, 2012 06:49:34 pm
      We have being woeful in the league, people denying that are blind, we are 27 points behind Man City.

What cant speak cant lie.This tells the truth,Even with the money spent we are only 1 point better of then last season,Something has to change???
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #37: Mar 03, 2012 06:49:55 pm
      We looked a better team this time last season.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #38: Mar 03, 2012 06:50:55 pm
      City spent GAZILLIONS for several seasons. And even at that it's only this season that it's really come together for em. And even still, they've not won the league yet. And they're out of the cups and had a crap CL. So stats not great for them maybe, but you gotta think they are on an upswing.
      We invested last season, sure, but I didn't expect us to rocket to the top this year. There is still work to do. But compared to the last two seasons, which were pretty forgettable, I think at least this year that we've deserved way more than we've got. Last season there was an feeling that we got what we deserved. This season we're scrating our heads wondering why we've not got way more.
      We'll make changes up front in the summer. I've no doubt. If we do, we'll come back stronger again. The players will be more settled. And this season we've a cup in the back pocket and still in another.
      Look at Chelsea, 7 pts ahead or whatever, but I just feel we're in better shape as a squad than they are (for several reasons). Stats might not bear that out, but there you go. Maybe it's red-tinted specs, I dunno.
      I just feel better about the club this season, whatever the stats might be saying.

My fear about Chelsea is they'll get Rafa Benitez. Their squad needs a major overhall whereas ours is settling in and is on the way up, even if it doesn't always look like it. But Benitez knows the league inside out and with the financial muscle of Roman he will sign the players they need to win the league again and be another club blocking our progression to the top spot.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,649 posts | 6945 
      Reply #39: Mar 03, 2012 06:51:56 pm
      Also one cup better off than last season.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #40: Mar 03, 2012 07:00:27 pm
      At this stage last season we were on 39 points we then went on a winning run, so I'll be very interested to see can we get as many points as last season
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #41: Mar 03, 2012 07:14:05 pm
      Don't know what to make of being only one point better off than last season, Think we do play better football now and have a better defense but in midfield i think we've done a good job on getting rid of mediocre players but don't have much confidence in the players we've bought to replace them.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #42: Mar 03, 2012 07:22:43 pm
      Just aswell we won the cup as it would be a disaster if we finished 7th again with the amount spent.

Lets hope we find the back of the net more often and lets add the FA cup too.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #43: Mar 03, 2012 08:42:17 pm
      We play much better this season but the results have not changed much.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #44: Mar 03, 2012 08:44:22 pm

Do you think that the fact Birmingham have had over 20 players leave since they won the Carling Cup has anything to do with their plight? Also when they won the Carling Cup they were comfortably above the relegation zone and their players already had their eyes set on the summer which was why they took their foot off in the League and couldn't regain their form. Just to put things in perspective, they've let 8 of their starting XI Carling Cup winners go. (two of the three who remain, were taken off during the final)

In the summer of 2013 do you see 8 of our starting XI from this year's Carling Cup final of left the club? I personally don't to be totally honest.

As for Roy Hodgson, we have 19 wins this season in all competitions, Roy Hodgson's West Brom side have 12 wins in all competitions. How the F**k is that the same? We have 7 more victories, we have a League Cup and a place in Europe as well as four more League points, 2 higher League positions and a place in the FA Cup quarter finals. Stop me when you start where us and West Brom are equal.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #45: Mar 03, 2012 09:00:02 pm
      Quote from bigmick
      I cannot see how people can say we have been "woeful" in the league, it's another knee jerk. We weren't "woeful" today, we absolutely battered them and got done. That's been the story all season.

4 home wins this season, and 1 league win all year tells it's own story.

That is what we apparantly gave up European football for last summer.

Quick Reply