Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

One point better off than last season...

Read 30884 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: One point better off than last season...
      Reply #552: Mar 06, 2012 06:32:30 pm
      I listened to the Anfield Wrap podcast last night. The lads talked about the 'bad luck' we are having this season and the psychological effect it is having on the team as the season progresses.

I feel that this was an important point to make and agree that it has snowballed. We are playing good, attractive football, we are creating chances and our position in the table is not a true reflection of this, but we are where we are and we have to accept that. I'm encouraged that the team have continually played well (albeit with a few blips) throughout the season, despite all of the home draws we have had. Our away form is pretty solid, better than for the previous 2 seasons.

I remain optimistic that with some new additions in the Summer, we can improve next season and let's not forget that this season isn't over yet, we have an FA Cup quarter final at home to look forward to and an easier run-in than some of our rivals. With some better 'luck', we could easily put a run of good results together.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #553: Mar 06, 2012 06:36:01 pm
      Unfortunately for the died in the wool Rafa disciples, the real hardcore believers, it wouldn't matter how well kenny did. This is proven by the ridiculous spectacle of people still referring to their messiah and bemoaning their feelings that "but you didn't say the same fings about him did you", despite the fact we won a trophy eight days ago. Unbeliveable it is/they are.

Not about Kenny or Rafa whatsoever, no matter how you spin it, it's about you using arguments you yourself have previously dismissed.  Don't go hiding behind this 'disciple' crap when your arguments shown to be two-faced.
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #554: Mar 06, 2012 06:37:57 pm
      Our conversion rate must be the lowest in the epl. Had chances galore but fail to score has been the story. Plus hitting the woodwork over 20 times.We have to get a striker who can convert chances, the strikers we have just cant cut it for some reason
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #555: Mar 06, 2012 06:48:43 pm
      Not about Kenny or Rafa whatsoever, no matter how you spin it, it's about you using arguments you yourself have previously dismissed.  Don't go hiding behind this 'disciple' crap when your arguments shown to be two-faced.

I give up, you've got me. I'm two faced. The situation when we finished 7th under Rafa having won nothing for four seasons and being a shambles is absolutely identical to the one which we now find ourselves in. By rights, I ought to be campaigning for kenny's removal. There is no difference whatsoever between the two situations, and I can only apologise.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #556: Mar 06, 2012 06:49:20 pm
      Has there been one game this year where we've nicked a positive result we didn't deserve? Looking for a draw where we were on the back foot, or a win like the Arse had this past weekend.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #557: Mar 06, 2012 06:49:57 pm
      Has there been one game this year where we've nicked a positive result we didn't deserve? Looking for a draw where we were on the back foot, or a win like the Arse had this past weekend.

I can't think of one off the top of my head, not a bugger.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #558: Mar 06, 2012 07:01:29 pm
       We will finish were we deserve to finish !

All this good luck bad luck is rubbish, if our players were good enough they would have hit the back off the net instead of the post.

I feel some are making excuses for our league position. There should be no excuses ! we are where we deserve to be.

That said the season is not over and we could still put a run of games together and finish higher than we did last year or possibly get into the top 4
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #559: Mar 06, 2012 07:10:31 pm
      I give up, you've got me. I'm two faced. The situation when we finished 7th under Rafa having won nothing for four seasons and being a shambles is absolutely identical to the one which we now find ourselves in. By rights, I ought to be campaigning for kenny's removal. There is no difference whatsoever between the two situations, and I can only apologise.

Again your not getting it, you said these arguments were invalid no matter what and that 7th means you deserved to get sacked no matter what.  Now your using these same arguments to back up your points - I don't care which manager you used them for, Rafa, Roy, KK or even Shanks, you just can't say these arguments are invalid, of course only until they serve your purpose.  No problem with you using them, just hilarious that you are.
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012 07:33:50 pm by Roddenberry »
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #560: Mar 06, 2012 07:15:02 pm
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #561: Mar 06, 2012 07:15:52 pm
       Dead right mate you got me, I've already given up. Bang to rights I am, nice swan  :f_tongueincheek:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #562: Mar 06, 2012 07:18:08 pm

The only one that possibly falls into that category is the late win in the cup game against Manure. Not that we were on the back foot massively in the game but one we had to really dig a result out that looked to be heading for a draw.

In the league? Can't think of one no.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #563: Mar 06, 2012 07:24:32 pm
      Fascinating stat number 21991 :- Only Liverpool, Villa and Wolves haven't scored an injury-time league goal this season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #564: Mar 06, 2012 07:29:04 pm

I suppose the Everton game before the red card (which should never of been a red). Before Rodwell got sent off it was very evenly poised, possibly with them possibly being the better side - slightly. But the red card changed it entirely and we got the three points which over the course we deserved.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #565: Mar 06, 2012 07:29:47 pm
      Fascinating stat number 21991 :- Only Liverpool, Villa and Wolves haven't scored an injury-time league goal this season.

Another fascinating stat number mate.

2012 - Only Liverpool have won a trophy in that year. :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #566: Mar 06, 2012 07:35:18 pm
      Another fascinating stat number mate.

2012 - Only Liverpool have won a trophy in that year. :D

Are you sure we won a cup this year mate, judging by some of the posts in here I am beginning to wonder. Have you got a link :)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #567: Mar 06, 2012 07:39:59 pm
      Are you sure we won a cup this year mate, judging by some of the posts in here I am beginning to wonder. Have you got a link :)

Carling Cup! Liverpool FC! The full award ceremony!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #568: Mar 06, 2012 07:48:05 pm

I appreciate the link DLS, but I do not believe the stats indicate that we are improving much as once again we needed a shoot out.

Stats don't lie, err I mean stats are a lie; agh stats are significant or not?

Wait I am very confused now.  ???
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #569: Mar 06, 2012 07:49:37 pm
      Stop living in the past, DLS :D

I was just asking that question to point out that we haven't really had our rub of the "luck" this season, if you will. We've not won a game where we were outplayed throughout the duration. Hell, I don't think we've even drawn a game that we were dominated, only the other way around. You can pretty much point to every other team above or below us and give at least two examples of points gained where they shouldn't have been.

And the first derby was pretty even, but that's one I'd consider could go either way. A stolen result would have been us winning at Old Trafford, White Hart Lane, or Bolton, for example. Those are 3 games I felt we got the result our performance on the day truly deserved.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #570: Mar 06, 2012 07:52:45 pm
      Stop living in the past, DLS :D

I was just asking that question to point out that we haven't really had our rub of the "luck" this season, if you will. We've not won a game where we were outplayed throughout the duration. Hell, I don't think we've even drawn a game that we were dominated, only the other way around. You can pretty much point to every other team above or below us and give at least two examples of points gained where they shouldn't have been.

And the first derby was pretty even, but that's one I'd consider could go either way. A stolen result would have been us winning at Old Trafford, White Hart Lane, or Bolton, for example. Those are 3 games I felt we got the result our performance on the day truly deserved.

Then no... We haven't even been afforded luck in games we have dominated let alone ones we haven't  :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #571: Mar 06, 2012 07:56:26 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #572: Mar 06, 2012 08:01:24 pm
      Again your not getting it, you said these arguments were invalid no matter what and that 7th means you deserved to get sacked no matter what.  Now your using these same arguments to back up your points

I'm not getting involved here as I can't recall which arguments 'mick "rejected" or if they were the same or not. I'm only using this post to highlight the opposite side of the coin.

We've read (I've added the punctuation marks and used proper English btw): "I, personally, will never think seventh, no matter how it is dressed up, is good enough for Liverpool Football Club; who ever is manager." The thing is; this quote came from someone who fully supported Rafa. Weird or what?

Sorry for digressing. Carry on.  ;D
      angusmccoatup
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | 12 
      Reply #573: Mar 07, 2012 01:33:33 am
      The only comment I will make on the whole statistics debate is to say that Disraeli had it about right when he said that there were "lies, damn lies and statistics".

As a neutral, I think it is beyond doubt that the quality of LFC's football this season has improved significantly and that this improvement has not been reflected by the points accrued.  Bad luck, the woodwork and poor finishing have all been highlighted but having watched the game with Arsenal and then watched the Utd Spurs match the difference was palpable.

Utd were comprehensively outplayed and yet scored with their first chance - LFC should have been out of sight before RVP became a factor - and to me this highlights the biggest single difference between the two sides and that is ruthlessness.

The LFC sides of the 70's and 80's had it as well as a great deal of mental strength, highlighted by the number of late winners they scored.   United are similar and for LFC to regain former glories, these qualities need to be found.  Whether the current crop of players have the ability or mental toughness to challenge for the premiership is debatable, but regardless the club should be proud of the progress made over the last 12 months
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #574: Mar 07, 2012 06:12:50 am
      The only comment I will make on the whole statistics debate is to say that Disraeli had it about right when he said that there were "lies, damn lies and statistics".

As a neutral, I think it is beyond doubt that the quality of LFC's football this season has improved significantly and that this improvement has not been reflected by the points accrued.  Bad luck, the woodwork and poor finishing have all been highlighted but having watched the game with Arsenal and then watched the Utd Spurs match the difference was palpable.

Utd were comprehensively outplayed and yet scored with their first chance - LFC should have been out of sight before RVP became a factor - and to me this highlights the biggest single difference between the two sides and that is ruthlessness.

The LFC sides of the 70's and 80's had it as well as a great deal of mental strength, highlighted by the number of late winners they scored.   United are similar and for LFC to regain former glories, these qualities need to be found.  Whether the current crop of players have the ability or mental toughness to challenge for the premiership is debatable, but regardless the club should be proud of the progress made over the last 12 months

Plus one mate. Eggsackerly.

Quick Reply