Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

One point better off than last season...

Read 30889 times
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Re: One point better off than last season...
      Reply #575: Mar 07, 2012 01:46:45 pm
      Just came across a interesting tweet..

Just watched #MOTD2 compilation of Saves of the Season. 16 saves and 9 from Liverpool shots. Make of that what you will...

Oh and we've hit the bar 21 times already this season???

In professional sport, it always feels like a "cop out" to say "we were unlucky" but sometimes there's no other explanation..  Even at my most negative, I can't ignore the fact that (barring the actual result) we've dominated the majority of teams over 90 mins with ease..
      People can shout all day long about "it only being about the results" but if we're talking about progress it becomes impossible to say that..
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #576: Mar 07, 2012 02:10:15 pm
      The only comment I will make on the whole statistics debate is to say that Disraeli had it about right when he said that there were "lies, damn lies and statistics".

As a neutral, I think it is beyond doubt that the quality of LFC's football this season has improved significantly and that this improvement has not been reflected by the points accrued.  Bad luck, the woodwork and poor finishing have all been highlighted but having watched the game with Arsenal and then watched the Utd Spurs match the difference was palpable.

Utd were comprehensively outplayed and yet scored with their first chance - LFC should have been out of sight before RVP became a factor - and to me this highlights the biggest single difference between the two sides and that is ruthlessness.

The LFC sides of the 70's and 80's had it as well as a great deal of mental strength, highlighted by the number of late winners they scored.   United are similar and for LFC to regain former glories, these qualities need to be found.  Whether the current crop of players have the ability or mental toughness to challenge for the premiership is debatable, but regardless the club should be proud of the progress made over the last 12 months

Superb post.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #577: Mar 07, 2012 02:24:59 pm
      The only comment I will make on the whole statistics debate is to say that Disraeli had it about right when he said that there were "lies, damn lies and statistics".

I trust eye witness statements with as much contempt as I treat stats.  Now using both in context is a different story.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #578: Mar 07, 2012 02:38:21 pm

Played an instrumental role in the formation of the Conservative Party.

F**k that tory tw*t!
      azizdamji
      • Banned

• 155 posts | -2 
      Reply #579: Mar 10, 2012 05:12:33 pm
      PenguinOfTroy, well said. Thank God for one Einstein on this message thread.At the end of the season, the Prem League standing determines how much extra dosh LFC gets. Good news is they look at the " could have/would have and should have" scenarios before awarding the cash. As they should, after 38 games, why should ACTUAL league position/points count? Well said, you intellectual Einstein, after all this is the club Shankly built. Woy the Tosser/Loser POS nobody is a whopping four points behind us Managing thr Mighty WBA.

Wake up and smell the coffee/tea or worse your farts
      azizdamji
      • Banned

• 155 posts | -2 
      Reply #580: Mar 10, 2012 05:24:36 pm
      We're also a trophy better off and guaranteed European football before March better off.
      dunlop liddell shankly , well said. I've read your posts many a time thinking this bloke has to be a rocket scientist/genius. Thank God for one Einstein on this message thread.At the end of the season, the Prem League standing determines how much extra dosh LFC gets. Good news is they look at the " could have/would have and should have" scenarios before awarding the cash. As they should, after 38 games, why should ACTUAL league position/points count? Well said, you intellectual Einstein, after all this is the club Shankly built. Woy the Tosser/Loser POS nobody is a whopping four points behind us Managing thr Mighty WBA.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #581: Mar 10, 2012 05:26:38 pm
      azizmajid, why incite? what purpose do you wish to serve to this thread?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #582: Mar 10, 2012 05:28:22 pm
      At times we have been far better then the team of last year but for me this year our poor performances have been even worse and were starting to show more inconsistency then i thought possible. Obviously we have improved but in entire honesty i am not sure how much we have improved, the buys of Downing and Henderson were supposed to help give us width, but it seems even with width it makes no difference to the amount of chances we convert. We loose a lethal finisher in Torres and replace him with Carroll who i feel has bags of potential but not is as clinical obviously. Yes we have Suarez but he is not a clinical finisher either, he is more of a trickery attacking play maker, he needs a partner of the same style to be scoring goals i feel. I think this season has been so far a mixture of Kenny not knowing how he wants us to play and off the players not really gelling well enough together, Carroll & Henderson need more time to develop, Downing needs more confidence and Adam needs to leave.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #583: Mar 10, 2012 05:38:38 pm

Male chicken.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #584: Mar 10, 2012 07:20:48 pm
      One point better off than last season....and half of that season was under Hodgeson, so that shows how poor we have been this season, perhaps all that Kenny touches isn't gold
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann
      • Started Topic

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #585: Mar 10, 2012 08:45:44 pm
      Sorry to say, but things have changed for the worse since I opened this thread last week.

We're no longer one point better off than last season.  A year ago we also had 39 points from 27 matches....  This is relegation form we're showing in 2012.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #586: Mar 10, 2012 10:31:13 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly , well said. I've read your posts many a time thinking this bloke has to be a rocket scientist/genius. Thank God for one Einstein on this message thread.At the end of the season, the Prem League standing determines how much extra dosh LFC gets. Good news is they look at the " could have/would have and should have" scenarios before awarding the cash. As they should, after 38 games, why should ACTUAL league position/points count? Well said, you intellectual Einstein, after all this is the club Shankly built. Woy the Tosser/Loser POS nobody is a whopping four points behind us Managing thr Mighty WBA.

Oi dickhead, this club was built by John Houlding in 1892, not Bill Shankly in 1959.

And yes Hodgson is still behind us, we're still the only side with a trophy this year and we're still the only side with European football certain right now. Anything else you wanna know soft lad?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #587: Mar 10, 2012 10:44:57 pm

Judging by a review of some of your posts on this forum, and judging by some of the topics you have started, I am not wholly convinced by your degree of sorrow.
      notorious1985
      • Forum Ian St John

• 442 posts | 27 
      Reply #588: Mar 11, 2012 12:19:50 am
      ya fantastic win the carling cup and finish 10th, what I dreamed of before the season began, at least we got silverware and Thursday night football.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #589: Mar 11, 2012 04:21:41 am
      What did you dream of before the season began? The treble?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #590: Mar 11, 2012 03:12:33 pm
      ya fantastic win the carling cup and finish 10th, what I dreamed of before the season began, at least we got silverware and Thursday night football.

Slagging off two great trophies in one post. F'n sky generation. FFS.  :f_steam:
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #591: Mar 11, 2012 04:30:26 pm
      We weren't "woeful" today, we absolutely battered them and got done. That's been the story all season.

Never mind.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012 04:44:32 pm by Rush »

Quick Reply