Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

No Champions League Footy not the end of the World

Read 9177 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      No Champions League Footy not the end of the World
      Mar 04, 2012 09:11:01 pm
      Obviously there is still a small chance we could push on and get that 4th spot but it now seems very very unlikely and I must admit I haven't really believed we would qualify for a little while now. However, I'm not sure it's the disaster that so many in the media and our fan base paint it to be. For so many years I was so scared of failing to qualify because it almost certainly meant that we would lose certain players like a Gerrard, a Torres or an Alonso but that fear has gone for me now. Stevie is going nowhere, he's clearly made his peace and will see out his career with the club and the only two players I think we have to worry about potentially having their heads turned are Reina and Suarez. Suarez hasn't been here long and with the year he's just had and the incredible support he has received from the club and the fans I don't think he will be going anywhere. Reina might be a different story but again, if he sees progress being made I suspect he will give it another season to see if we can make it back into the big time.

Also, I wonder if we're actually ready for the demands of Champions League whilst putting up a decent challenge on the domestic front? The club have spent some money but much of it has been on developmental players like Henderson and Coates whilst Carroll is having to learn how to play the game all over again. It doesn't look like the owners will be big spenders in the summer (although I'd hope there will be money to spend on a couple of quality players) so it seems to me that the onus is very much on developing the talented (but unproven) group of youngsters we have coming through in the reserves at the moment. The next gen tournament has been a good experience for these lads but reserve team footy isn't the greatest (it has essentially become an under-19 league) so what better place to truly blood these kids and get them the necessary experience than in next season's Europa League. Clearly we will never be able to match the financial muscle of City or Chelsea so it seems our best hope of getting back into the title mix over the next 4-5 years is based on producing 2-3 absolutely top quality players through the academy plus a few solid squad players as well. Sterling (for me) is going to be a star, i'm convinced of it and I expect Jack Robinson to be a top top player for many years as well. Flanno looks to have the makings of a good pro and Suso, Morgan and Ngoo all have a chance at the next level but only if they get the opportunities to play.

I don't know that the owners see it in quite the same way but I'm honestly not that bothered that we're not going to make 4th spot season and I'd almost rather we focus wholly on the FA Cup and see if we can't blood a few of these kids between now and the end of the season.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: No Champions League Footy not the end of the World
      Reply #1: Mar 04, 2012 09:14:44 pm
      Miss out on CL and you miss out on money, players and kudos, all of what we are missing and will continue to miss till we qualify
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #2: Mar 04, 2012 09:15:42 pm
      Wouldn't bother me missing out on it if we challenged for 1st spot in the league next season. I couldn't see us winning the Champions League next year anyway, although 2005 proved you never know.

The problem is you need Champions League to get the best players to sign to actually win the Premier League. Would Aguero, Yaya Toure etc.. have signed for City without it? Tevez did but he is a pure mercenary.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #3: Mar 04, 2012 09:21:27 pm
      Miss out on CL and you miss out on money, players and kudos, all of what we are missing and will continue to miss till we qualify

Which is why i'm saying the club will need to look to build from within. Maybe the Sterlings, Susos and Morgans of this world don't get a game if we qualify fro the big leagues this season? Even if we did i don't think we have the clout to outbid other clubs for marquee signings like Hazzard or Higuan or whoever. We've got a decent squad, Kenny has got them playing the right way but we're short a few pieces of the puzzle. I think we can manage another season out of Europe's biggest competition and still make progress next season.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #4: Mar 04, 2012 09:25:29 pm
      The problem is you need Champions League to get the best players to sign to actually win the Premier League. Would Aguero, Yaya Toure etc.. have signed for City without it? Tevez did but he is a pure mercenary.

There's still plenty of good players out there mate. Suarez left a perrenial Champions League side to join a struggling Liverpool team and I'm sure there's a few others out there that would do the same. For me it's crucial we get something out of this current crop of youngsters coming through because if 5-6 of them make the grade then the club can throw what money they have at a couple of bigger signings that will improve the first team as opposed to improving the squad.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #5: Mar 04, 2012 09:27:11 pm
      It's not only about recruitment but also retention; there is the danger that players who are good enough to be in the last stages of the Champions League ask to leave. It is a major blow that we will yet again not be in the Champions League.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #6: Mar 04, 2012 09:28:03 pm
      Que sera sera. If we don"t qualify there"s fuckall we can do, and if Reina decided to fuckoff then that"s fine aswell, but he should remember that the grass isn"t always greener on the other side, as his Spanish buddy found out.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      Reply #7: Mar 04, 2012 09:29:05 pm
      It's not only about recruitment but also retention; there is the danger that players who are good enough to be in the last stages of the Champions League ask to leave. It is a major blow that we will yet again not be in the Champions League.
      Anyone thinking anything else is asking for mediocracy
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #8: Mar 04, 2012 09:32:24 pm

I hardly think there will be a mass exodus. Like I said, apart from the two lads i've mentioned who else are we worried about going? Maybe someone like a Skrtel or an Agger I guess but both of them have only finally established themselves as undisputable starting players (given that they have generally been in competition with themselves and injuries the past few years).
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      Reply #9: Mar 04, 2012 10:01:53 pm
      Strange how all season we have been hearing we will/must finish 4th, now it looks we won't all of a sudden it dosen't matter?.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Mar 04, 2012 10:10:45 pm
      I don't see anyone saying it doesn't matter. I think what people are saying is we're willing to accept another year without CL footy to build on a transitional year rather than knee-jerk and make stupid decisions.

Yes 4th was a goal but based on what I've seen I'm willing to accept missing it and give Kenny more time rather than simply out with the old in with the new whenever a goal isn't achieved. I can see that we've had more than our fair share of bad luck this year at home and we should be higher than we currently are! it's a pity some seem to think that missing out on 4th will be nothing short of a catastrophe, it will be a set-back but as long as we're developing from the bottom up then there is no need to panic and if people do want to jump ship then their loyalty clearly wasn't as strong as this club demands and we'll use the money to buy someone who is hopefully better and more loyal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #11: Mar 04, 2012 10:20:54 pm
      Damn, I'll so miss the open-top bus tour we've had last time we finished fourth!!
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 04, 2012 10:27:04 pm
      We need Champions League football. The truth is we need it badly. We need to be there to consider ourselves a big club. With all that say - what can we do, if we do not qualify - life goes on. We have got the right owners and the right manager, many more challenges lie ahead even without CL.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #13: Mar 04, 2012 10:28:15 pm
      Of course it's not the end of the world, but making it to the CL (which IMO is a realistic, achievable target) would be a huge boost towards our ultimate goal which is getting the players we need in to help us achieve world domination on a football scale.

edit: F**k it, we're Liverpool - we like to do things the hard way.
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #14: Mar 04, 2012 10:44:19 pm
      We can still do it, after SAFC, we have a decent run in and I being the most extreme optimist can see us in the top 3/4 at the end of the season  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #15: Mar 04, 2012 10:50:49 pm
      Couldn't give a F**k.

If players wanna play for us, they'll play for us. If players wanna play for a Champions League club then they can go to Celtic.

Playing for Liverpool Football Club is a bigger honour and accomplishment than playing in the Champions League.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #16: Mar 04, 2012 10:59:29 pm
      Be a real shame if we missed out on 4th place.  It's a beautiful trophy.

I can only look back on the amazing turnaround in Everton's fortunes after they finished 4th in 2005.

If we don't finish 4th then it's because we aren't good enough.  And even if we were, surprisingly, to finish 4th then there is a solid chance we may struggle in the qualifier in any case.
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #17: Mar 04, 2012 11:08:22 pm

Well to put it is as bluntly as your contributions so far in this thread, people are gonna have to deal with it. I'm just saying it isn't the end of the world.

We need Champions League football. The truth is we need it badly. We need to be there to consider ourselves a big club.

Well I don't need it to consider us a big club.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #18: Mar 04, 2012 11:14:48 pm
      We need Champions League football. The truth is we need it badly. We need to be there to consider ourselves a big club.

Straight out of the sky subscribers manual that one!!
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Mar 04, 2012 11:16:23 pm
      For financial reasons with the impending fair play rules coming in its vital we are not out of the champions league to long especially when we are already missing out on match day revenue
      Scottbot
      • Started Topic

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #20: Mar 04, 2012 11:26:09 pm
      For financial reasons with the impending fair play rules coming in its vital we are not out of the champions league to long especially when we are already missing out on match day revenue

No doubt if we're still having the same conversations this time next year we could be in a bit of trouble particularly so far as making progress on the stadium but for next season I think we'll be fine mate.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #21: Mar 04, 2012 11:32:34 pm
      Depends how much the owners are willing to spend
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #22: Mar 04, 2012 11:43:54 pm
      Be a real shame if we missed out on 4th place.  It's a beautiful trophy.

I can only look back on the amazing turnaround in Everton's fortunes after they finished 4th in 2005.

If we don't finish 4th then it's because we aren't good enough.  And even if we were, surprisingly, to finish 4th then there is a solid chance we may struggle in the qualifier in any case.
      You mean that time we spoilt their party and took a dip into their pool. :)

Quick Reply