Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Kenny's future if top 4 is not secured.

Read 24595 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Kenny's future if top 4 is not secured.
      Mar 10, 2012 05:24:42 pm
      Now this is not a Knee Jerk at all as I would give Kenny the same time that we have extended to the likes of Roy Evans, Houllier and Rafa to build his Liverpool dynasty and I don't think I've ever really believed in my hearts of hearts that we were just going to take our place in the top 4 at the first attempt.

But I've seen a couple of comments in the match thread that made me think back to what John Henry and Kenny have said themselves, that basically if we fail to finish in the top 4 then it can only be seen as a failure.

So I thought I'd just throw it out there, what do you lot think will  happen ?

My position is quite clear on what I'd like to see happen.

But I'm not too sure on how Kenny or John Henry would react if we didn't.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Kenny's future if top 4 is not secured.
      Reply #1: Mar 10, 2012 05:27:04 pm
      Its not about top 4 mate, it is about improving we aint no matter how people want to dress it up.

We are getting worse and the players dont look like they give a sh*te.

Let me ask you if we finish say 12th will you think it is acceptable
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #2: Mar 10, 2012 05:29:21 pm
      Now this is not a Knee Jerk at all as I would give Kenny the same time that we have extended to the likes of Roy Evans, Houllier and Rafa to build his Liverpool dynasty and I don't think I've ever really believed in my hearts of hearts that we were just going to take our place in the top 4 at the first attempt.

But I've seen a couple of comments in the match thread that made me think back to what John Henry and Kenny have said themselves, that basically if we fail to finish in the top 4 then it can only be seen as a failure.

So I thought I'd just throw it out there, what do you lot think will  happen ?

My position is quite clear on what I'd like to see happen.

But I'm not too sure on how Kenny or John Henry would react if we didn't.

Excellent point mate, I would give Kenny the same time we gave Dalglish and Houllier. People expect way too much, spending money on players does not guarantee 4th place at all. It is unacceptable to finish midtable this season, but if we do, we move on and build for the next
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Mar 10, 2012 05:29:32 pm
      Let me ask you if we finish say 12th will you think it is acceptable

No mate I won't think its acceptable, but I'll be prepared to Give Kenny the chance to rectify his mistakes, just as I would of Rafa.

Changing managers on a whim does more harm than good, just ask Roman.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #4: Mar 10, 2012 05:31:15 pm
      To paraphrase one our owners the 'project' is a 3 to 5 year one and Comolli has also said big players want to join us as they believe this so called project.

To that end, Kenny as the spearhead of that project should be afforded the same timescale they've set out for it to blossom.

Any less and they'll be seen by me as knee-jerk owners.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #5: Mar 10, 2012 05:31:36 pm
      Me too but he cant be given forever if things dont improve, we are getting worse whatever people say. Either FSG back him heavily in the transfer market in the summer or i dont know because some of the players are clearly not good enough.

If we finish mid table this season and next season goes the same way then I would defo start to ask serious questions
      LFCexiled
      Reply #6: Mar 10, 2012 05:32:23 pm
      Excellent point mate, I would give Kenny the same time we gave Dalglish ......

Are you sure? ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #7: Mar 10, 2012 05:33:10 pm
      Stranger things have happened even if we win the cup double, they were extremely clear with this objective but I can't see it myself. The biggest failing is without doubt the transfers and that is going to be hard to explain away whoever's decision it was to choose those targets.

Just to avoid doubt if any is cast, I'd give Kenny full backing but I wouldn't afford the same to some of the shocking players we've signed. Downing and Adam would be first on my list to leave, just simply not good enough.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #8: Mar 10, 2012 05:34:30 pm
      We cant blindly back him, there has to be improvement.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #9: Mar 10, 2012 05:41:05 pm
      We cant blindly back him, there has to be improvement.

Its not about blindly backing him mate.

For me its about having some stability in managership, if we were to fire Kenny this season and another manager came in then he'd come with his own ideas and identify players he wants to keep and ship out and so on and so forth and before we know it we've become like Chelsea with an aging squad and senior players with far too much power in the dressing room.

I think we as fans owe it to FSG and Kenny to be patient with the project, everything about FSG says they want to be successful, but to be successful you need consistency throughout the club.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #10: Mar 10, 2012 05:43:05 pm
      Think he will be given another season at least, but if we finish outside the top 4 again without playing in any finals, i can actually see them getting rid. Personally i believe in Kenny but for him to be given time he needs to show more signs of improvement and yes we have won the carling cup, but it is not as if we have been playing consistently better than last year. For next season i would like to see Kenny going for it a bit more, when we are drawing prepare to take the risk of loosing for a win, would like to see a stronger spine and hopefully with Lucas back he can help with that, all in all i think Kenny will show improvements next season, so i think his job is safe.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Mar 10, 2012 05:43:49 pm

Its not about blindly backing him mate.

For me its about having some stability in managership, if we were to fire Kenny this season and another manager came in then he'd come with his own ideas and identify players he wants to keep and ship out and so on and so forth and before we know it we've become like Chelsea with an aging squad and senior players with far too much power in the dressing room.

I think we as fans owe it to FSG and Kenny to be patient with the project, everything about FSG says they want to be successful, but to be successful you need consistency throughout the club.

Stability mate cant be the only reason to keep a manager mate if what is being produced aint good enough.

I'll be honest mate i'd give kenny next season but come Christmas we are as bad in the league serious question would then need answering. 2 years is a long time in football.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #12: Mar 10, 2012 05:52:32 pm
      It'll fine as long as we stop this slide of late, 1 win in the last 8 league games and 3 defeats isnt good enough.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Mar 10, 2012 05:56:34 pm
      2 wins  in 11, 1 win in 2012, 30 goals in the league. Shocking home form.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #14: Mar 10, 2012 06:03:22 pm
      I think and have thought for quite a few games now that it's going to be highly unlikely that we finish 4th. Yes it's mathematically possible but we've had far too many draws and don't win consistently enough along with far too many draws to sneak 4th place.

Am I happy with Kenny in charge? 100 percent I am.

Would some people rather we go down the Chelsea route of sacking the manager every time it doesn't go our way? Kenny has been here just over 1 year FFS!

Kenny has delivered the first trophy in 6 years and is in with a good chance of making that 2 trophies in his first full season.

Everyone is probably agreed that our league form has been hugely disappointing but we need to stop this modern football way of thinking that you sack the manager every time you don't get what you want.

Kenny has delivered success in the cups, done more than well in the league last season but has suffered from too many draws in the league this season.

Calm down and get behind our legend of a manager. He deserves it after the sh!t we have had from all quarters this season.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #15: Mar 10, 2012 06:04:43 pm
      Not saying KK is not criticable, But is it Kenny's fault , when you see 10 (let alone pepe)players  just seemed they are walking for a simple walk
       where is the effort, where is the passion, where is the will to win,  yes kenny should point this to his players, but he only can change 3 in a match
         Not saying he never made any mistakes, I'm sure he  himself will admit to that
       these performances must improve if we don't want to be a normally beaten team ( if we are not near there already)

YNWA
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Mar 10, 2012 06:05:57 pm
      Not saying KK is not criticable, But is it Kenny's fault , when you see 10 (let alone pepe)players  just seemed they are walking for a simple walk
       where is the effort, where is the passion, where is the will to win,  yes kenny should point this to his players, but he only can change 3 in a match
         Not saying he never made any mistakes, I'm sure he  himself will admit to that
       these performances must improve if we don't want to be a normally beaten team ( if we are not near there already)

YNWA

Ya he picked them and some of them were his signings
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #17: Mar 10, 2012 06:10:32 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/13378374

Kenny has a three year contract.
      To January 2014.
      In June he will be half way through it.

Methinks that the owners although disappointed will keep faith with Kenny until January next year.
      At that time if we are off track they will have the opportunity to bring someone else in to save the 2012-13 season.

They are aware how the rank and file of Liverpool Football Club are behind Kenny and how he holds an unassailable position with us..that is of course if we are winning.
      If Kenny were to go then he would have a prepared statement subject to an acceptable settlement.

We are NOT there yet.

Perhaps the first person that the searchlight should be swung on his Comolli.

Alan Sugar's words which art the time were scoffed at by me.  " Comolli was useless at Spurs."

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/11/03/2197055/damien-comolli-was-useless-at-spurs-what-is-he-expected-to-do-at-

Hodgson welcomed him with open arms.

How have his buys performed?
      Bellamy and Enrique. Suarez as a Torres feed-off which didnt happen.

Is he the right man?

Comolli was already in place by the previous hierarchy when Kenny was appointed.

Its obvious we are soul searching every corner here cos we dont like what we are seeing in this years (2012) performances.

One thing though. Kenny was the right man to unify and heal the club. There was no other.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18: Mar 10, 2012 06:21:31 pm
      If we finish 10th and win the two Cups you would have to say our league form suffered due to the focus of the player son winning silverware and having won the Carling i thought we might dip in th eleague as the FA #Cup came into focus.
      Don't worry about Kenny he knows better than anyone what his position is .
      2 cups and a difficult league position  is still a good season and if we do win two cups it will be our best seaosn for 10 years.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #19: Mar 10, 2012 06:26:56 pm
      How about all Liverpool fans tone down the disappointment and let the King sort things out this summer.  We're still in with a good chance in the FA Cup and won the Carling cup so the season is not a disaster over all.

If we're in this league position next year then Kenny will no doubt consider his own position because no one cares more for the club than himself.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Mar 10, 2012 06:30:42 pm
      If we finish 10th and win the two Cups you would have to say our league form suffered due to the focus of the player son winning silverware and having won the Carling i thought we might dip in th eleague as the FA #Cup came into focus.
      Don't worry about Kenny he knows better than anyone what his position is .
      2 cups and a difficult league position  is still a good season and if we do win two cups it will be our best seaosn for 10 years.

Cant use that excuse really cant, we finished 5th in Rafas first season when we won the champions league when it was clear we were focusing on the champions league. And we had a worse team.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #21: Mar 10, 2012 06:32:27 pm
      I'd agree Barnes10, Kenny will go of his own accord if he believes someone else could come in and do better. He will put the club first and we need to trust him.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #22: Mar 10, 2012 06:32:58 pm
      Was expecting a 'post Bolton' interview from Kenny tonight to be honest, but what I got was a 'Woy interview', with Kenny happy with the performance  :o.

Quick Reply