Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The case for (not) a massive overhaul this summer.

Read 7728 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      The case for (not) a massive overhaul this summer.
      Mar 14, 2012 10:47:25 pm
      So I have seen some call for a massive 100m+ overhaul come this summer. The case being made is our "British" talent has failed us and we have a sub-standard group compared to the top 4. While I believe some improvement needs to be made I would make the case that we need quality over quantity and honestly we are not far away from where we need to be.

Next season and of course every season we rely on having depth and avoiding the injury bug as much as possible. In this post I would like to break down the 3 areas of our team, give my opinions and see if my thinking is correct; I will also try and comment on players the best that my limited knowledge of the game allows.

Defense:

Goal Keepers

Reina - Still solid and 1st name on the sheet.
      Doni- Suspect he will be gone.
      Jones- Suspect he will be gone.

Summation: Going to have to bring someone in behind Pepe but really no big worries here.

Center Backs:

Agger- One of the best in the world depending on health.
      Skrtel- Just a rock in the center now, cemented his place.
      Carra-  He might come back for one more year but the days are numbered.
      Coates- From the little action I have seen I think he is a keeper.

Summation: No big worries here, going to have to bring up a kid or pick up someone to fill Carra's seat in the near future.

Full Backs:

Enrique: Really don't need to mention how good he is
      Johnson: Same here, just signed extension at the start of the season.
      Kelly: Just going to be a  massive player for us, already is in fact.
      Flanno: Looks like a winner to me, has more to learn but already shown he can play
      Robinson: Maybe a bit behind Flanno but he has quality and is a solid back-up

Summation: Probably the strongest area of our entire team, position just needs to keep a quality of kids in the pipeline for the future

Defensive Summary:

Money that needs to be spent: Very little if any.

Think it is pretty obvious that this is the strongest area of the squad, we only need to cultivate future players as we have more quality then positions available. I believe that Coates, Kelly and Flanno would be starting XI for some other PL squads, so we are quite fortunate to have not only quality but quantity in our defense.

Midfield

Center:

Gerrard: Well he is the best, sooner or later it will end but it won't be next year; especially if he would drop international duty he might add a few more.
      Lucas: A beast and already turning into a legend, the injury concerns me for the first part of next year but I think overall he will be fine
      Henderson: This is his position though he rarely plays it, reeks with potential and quality. Would be best if he could come off the bench for a season.
      Spearing: Our little bulldog may not be world class but he great role-player and backs up Lucas quite well.
      Adam: Probably a squad player at best, I've always seen him as a bridge who would normally be playing in early round cup comps.
      Aqualani: Doubt he will be back.

Summation: Here is a spot where we could use some impact but a lot of that depends on what formation we are going to play In a pure 4-4-2 with quality on the wings we have 2 great mids and quality coming off the bench in Hendo/Spearing.

Wings/Hybrids

Downing: Has looked a lot better in 2012 then he did in 2011, I don't think he is world class by any means but he does look to be settling in better.
      Bellers: One year left after this next one and then will probably be gone, as Kenny said wish he was 23 and not 32.
      Kuyt: Love the guy as he always is there when needed, he has lost a gear this year and might possibly be gone at the end of the season.
      Maxi: Don't know why he does not play, really one of the big question marks, i suspect if he wants to leave they will let him.
      Hendo: Should not be in this category for very obvious reasons.

Summation: Weakest part of our squad in my option

Midfield Summation

Money needed: 20-50M

A lot of this depends on the formation if we are going to stick to a 4-4-2 then we better get some quality and quantity on the wings because Bellers/Kuyt/Maxi are not getting younger or will not be around much longer. A 4-3-2-1 might give us some better option working with the center mids but really no doubt this is where we need help.

Forwards/Hybrids

Suarez: Nuff said
      Carroll: I really think he will come good, he may not be a 30 goal a year guy but his play of late opens up opportunities for others.
      Bellers: He can do it all but in limited amounts and for a limited amount of time.
      Kuyt: Same as Bellers situation

Forward Summation:

Money to be spent: A lot to a little depending

We need a poacher more than anything but this is a tough call because if you believe (or think Kenny believes) that Carroll is part of our future I find it hard to believe that we are going to drop big money on another striker seeing as we have 50+ million on these two. We defo need someone else who can be clinical in front of the net.

Final thought:

What we need is some help in the midfield and a creator/finisher in the form of a Bellamy/Gerrard mode that is multi-dimensional. I don't see us needing to spend 100m this window to get us where we need to be, I see us needing 30-50M on 2 good players and perhaps a bench player. What we really need is Gerrard/Andy/Luis on the pitch at the same time as Lucas, this alone makes us much better than we have been this season.

DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Re: The case for (not) a massive overhaul this summer.
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2012 11:42:03 pm
      This all day long - excellent post mate!

Talk of getting rid of Henderson and Carroll is rediculous too. I've said it before but those two are going to be huge for us, I don't care what anyone says. They both have class, they will both come good.

It's pretty obvious the wings need treatment big time. I know the players I'd like brought in but I won't say names cos there's no point. I think if we spent about 60mil on the wings and a striker.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2: Mar 14, 2012 11:54:26 pm
      I don't believe we will spend massively in the summer £20/30million + sales is about how I see it.

I do think there may be a couple of surprise sales if the right offers come in.

Johnson could well be sold if we get an offer of around £15million+. The reason being we have Kelly and Flanigan, and when push comes to shove teams usually sell the older established star who is on a large wage and they can get more money for, rather than the young talent that is ready for the first team. e.g. Ashley Cole, Cliche and Gibbs at Arsenal.   

Kuyt may be another that moves on in the summer. Great servant but can no longer imo work has hard or as long as he once did, so it might be smarter to sell now while we can still get a decent sum for him, rather than wait another year and get nothing.

I think we will bring in a defensive midfield player, hopefully a talented wide player and for me the most urgently required of all a clinical striker.

Sell two, move on Aquilani, Cole, Maxi, Wilson, Darby and Pacheco for whatever we can get, and bring in 3 top players.     

I think Carroll will become our "plan b" striker more often than not if we bring in the right calibre of striker.

I would also like to see a couple of young "gambles" bought, players around 18/20 who look as if they might become top class in a few years.

In all honesty I am not sure if even with promotions for the likes of Sterling and Suso we will have a strong enough squad with only three major purchases, but I don't see us buying 5 or 6 top players or even so many squad players. 
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: Mar 15, 2012 12:33:22 am
      Could also be i misunderstand the term massive overhaul, To me that is what happened this last summer.

If we looked at it another way:

Pepe
      Johnson
      Agger
      Skrtel
      Enrique
      Lucas
      Gerrard
      Suarez

if those guys are starters and Carroll/Downing/Hendo/Kuyt have no place in our future then we still only need 3 players, as why would we spend big to put any of the previous aforementioned starters to the bench and if that is the case why would we spend huge money on squad players.

It is a matter of do we get 1 "big" name and two younger lesser names with big upside or do we get 2 big names and a squad player? Either way I see it none of it would be considered a 'massive overhaul" of the squad, more like an integration of a player here or there over time.
      AZPatriot
      • Started Topic

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #4: Mar 15, 2012 12:36:09 am
      I don't believe we will spend massively in the summer £20/30million + sales is about how I see it.

I do think there may be a couple of surprise sales if the right offers come in.

Johnson could well be sold if we get an offer of around £15million+. The reason being we have Kelly and Flanigan, and when push comes to shove teams usually sell the older established star who is on a large wage and they can get more money for, rather than the young talent that is ready for the first team. e.g. Ashley Cole, Cliche and Gibbs at Arsenal.   

Kuyt may be another that moves on in the summer. Great servant but can no longer imo work has hard or as long as he once did, so it might be smarter to sell now while we can still get a decent sum for him, rather than wait another year and get nothing.

I think we will bring in a defensive midfield player, hopefully a talented wide player and for me the most urgently required of all a clinical striker.

Sell two, move on Aquilani, Cole, Maxi, Wilson, Darby and Pacheco for whatever we can get, and bring in 3 top players.     

I think Carroll will become our "plan b" striker more often than not if we bring in the right calibre of striker.

I would also like to see a couple of young "gambles" bought, players around 18/20 who look as if they might become top class in a few years.

In all honesty I am not sure if even with promotions for the likes of Sterling and Suso we will have a strong enough squad with only three major purchases, but I don't see us buying 5 or 6 top players or even so many squad players. 

I just think more than anything we need a goal getter, perhaps he is not even a striker but a 20's something Bellamy clone that can work with both Carroll and Suarez or score on his own. As Racer said in another thread what we need are cutthroat players, I consider Bellamy that kind of player but would be hard to classify what position he plays as he seeming can play anywhere.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #5: Mar 15, 2012 12:56:26 am
      I think we need a defensive midfielder that ideally sits next to Lucas in the first XI -  someone like Granero or Gago maybe I'm not sure how they're doing right now. Free's up Lucas a wee bit but better yet free's up Stevie G too. A striker/versatile winger like Hoilett or Luuk de Jong. For me two signings like this would be huge. Anything bigger or better is a nice surprise for me.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Mar 15, 2012 01:14:16 am
      I just think more than anything we need a goal getter, perhaps he is not even a striker but a 20's something Bellamy clone that can work with both Carroll and Suarez or score on his own. As Racer said in another thread what we need are cutthroat players, I consider Bellamy that kind of player but would be hard to classify what position he plays as he seeming can play anywhere.

For me it would have to be a striker, not a versatile forward. We need someone who spends all his time in and around the box. Someone who can turn half chances into goals and someone who will get the 20+ goals a season you expect from a top striker rather than the 10 or so which is around the best you tend to get from "wingers come forwards". 

I think with the relatively few goals we conceed we need about 80 goals a season from the squad to have a reasonable chance of the league. Without a top striker addition, I just can't see where the goals we need are going to come from.

So I would get an out and out goalscorer and a creative wide player who can chip in with 7 or 8 goals but a host of assists. A defensive midfielder that is not only good cover for Lucas but would give Kenny more options on formations when he needs them.

soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #7: Mar 15, 2012 01:56:19 am
      I know 1/1,000th of what Kenny knows about football, but I think we're "wishing and hoping" Carroll will come good. He's not a pass and move player. At his best he's a big lumbering man with a booming shot and a nice header, but he doesn't move quickly enough to best complement Suarez, Bellamy, Gerrard, Maxi, etc. in a swift attack.

I don't hate him. I think he's trying. I root for him. But I think we are trying to force a square peg in a round hole.  :-\  I hope LFC moves him out and gets a more mobile attacker. Someone who can pop in 15-20 goals and free up Suarez more than Carroll can.

We need a winger too. Downing to the bench please.

And we need "Lucas insurance/assistance" of top quality. Someone who can spell Lucas as he comes back, and preferably someone who can play beside him instead of Adam (bench please) or Gerrard (when injured or needs rest). Spearing's a nice player but I think we need someone one level better.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #8: Mar 15, 2012 05:01:52 am
      I know 1/1,000th of what Kenny knows about football, but I think we're "wishing and hoping" Carroll will come good. He's not a pass and move player. At his best he's a big lumbering man with a booming shot and a nice header, but he doesn't move quickly enough to best complement Suarez, Bellamy, Gerrard, Maxi, etc. in a swift attack.

I don't hate him. I think he's trying. I root for him. But I think we are trying to force a square peg in a round hole.  :-\  I hope LFC moves him out and gets a more mobile attacker. Someone who can pop in 15-20 goals and free up Suarez more than Carroll can.

Have faith man, did you see him at Newcastle? He was a monster, different team I know, but Kenny has faith in Carroll to come good and i'll say it a million times over - Carroll (and Hendo) is young and needs time which is something people don't seem to give these days. He will be a monster of a player for us and then when he's the wrong side of 25 other teams will be chasing him.

hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #9: Mar 15, 2012 06:04:07 am
      I don't think the squad needs a massive overhaul at all however we are going to have to spend a lot of cash on the players we get if we truly want to compete for the league. We only need 2-4 players but they need to be top quality. We need a truly elite striker and an elite winger. Maybe another CM but that is surplus. I wold say if we spend a total of 60-75 million on 2-4 players then we have probably gotten what we need.
      vaughan
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #10: Mar 15, 2012 06:42:34 am
      We nee an tricky attackig mid who can eliminate defenders and give the final pass. Why Suarez is not scoring as much as we would want is probably because he does much of the graft creating his own chances. Someone to do that as well as a world class winger
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #11: Mar 15, 2012 07:29:04 am
      There wont be a massive overhaul as it happened last summer! All the deadwood went and Kenny brought in a 5 or 6 too.

I can see 2 or 3 going and two top class players coming in and thats it, with a net spend of around 50m.

I'd be happy with that as I believe if we add two class players to this squad, along with getting a full season from the likes of Stevie, Lucas and Suarez, we can challenge the top teams.

Add the stadium issues into the equation and for me, there is no case.

Jag-Man
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #12: Mar 15, 2012 07:44:24 am
      Good post;
      We dont need that much, we have been playing very well this season. Beating most teams with our football, the sad part is we cant score goals, and I have losed count of how many times we have hit the wood work.
      The Everton game was a eye opener, it been a long time where I have seen Steven G. playing upfront for most of the game, and long may it go on.
      Carroll and Suarez up front I do like, with Steven playing just behind them, there is a lot of goals there.
      We do need a 3rd striker, this can be a young one, but these are very hard to find, so I would go for a older one, but one that still has a few years left him him, untill we can find a younger player and bring him one.
      A world class right winger who can cut in and also get goals, this will cost us a lot of money to get the right person, but we do have the money.

To sum it up, 2 to 3 players, one right winger, one older striker, and try and find a new young striker.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Mar 15, 2012 09:29:12 am
      We are about four top players short of a title challenge one game ain't hiding that.  We are a lot more short than just a goal getter. We are a creative centre mid and right and left midfielder short.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #14: Mar 15, 2012 10:14:50 am
      I said in a different post that i feel we will have 4-5 leave which includes Cole and Aquilani so only 2-3 from the first team squad proper, being Aurelio, and either or both of Maxi and Kuyt..

Bringing in 3 new signings, a Central mid, a wide player/In the hole type and a new forward...

Thats not a big turnaround its just about signing the right 3 to come in, and then promote Suso and Sterling to the first team squad on a more regular basis..

Good post by the way AZ.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Mar 15, 2012 10:15:54 am
      Just like A-Zee posted originally, midfield is where we need most "help". I think we can all see that . This, along with an accomplished, clinical, finisher are the main priorities.

I believe we'll see the moving on of 'older', "squad" players - Aurelio, Kuyt, Maxi, and Bellamy maybe - with a few youngsters making the step up. This season will also, in my opinion, see the end of Cole, Aquilani and Pacheco. So we've got seven, maybe more, being moved on. Them's big enough numbers to warrant the title "massive" in my opinion but again; it all really boils down to what is defined as "massive" by those who count.  :-\

I mean; remove the out-going players from the equation and is the addition of three, maybe four, new players enough to be deemed "massive"? Compared with last year? Definitely not. Compared to the Hicks and Gillett years? Without a doubt. Time will tell but it's going to be F***ing mental on here come May/June.  ;D
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #16: Mar 15, 2012 10:17:11 am
      Quality thread starter that pretty much sums up our position I think. I think we all know there will be no major overhaul this summer. Technically (as has already been stated) it has already taken place but we've had a shocking season in the league so clearly they need to spend some cash in a few areas.

Defence

I fully agree on the assessment of our defence. Agger and Skrtel have been a formidable partnership this season but once again Agger's brittle health comes back to haunt us so the question has to be asked of whether we can afford the drop in quality when he gets injured again next time. I think Jamie may well move on in the summer and Coates still doesn't convince me if i'm honest. If Agger was out for a long period would anyone be truly comfortable knowing Coates would be playing week in week out as things stand? Not sure I would. We are well and truly stocked at full-back and knowing we have European football in the bag next season means young Robinson and Flanagan will get the senior football they need to further their development. I think both could have done with more senior football (mind you Robinson has had injuries) this season given how well they fared last season but we simply didn't have enough to offer without Europe. Keeper could be a worry though, I'm not so sure Reina will stay yanno. It will be 3 seasons out of the Champions League in a row next year and given that he misses out for Spain I wodner if he will be looking enviously at Europe's top club competition this summer. However, if he does go i'd expect the fee to be pretty high and you'd back the club to find a decent replacement. He'd be a massive loss though.

Centre Midfield

Obviously we're sorted with Lucas and Gerrard both being top players. Young Spearing is still developing and I think he will always be Lucas' first reserve and a regular in the Europa League side next year. It gets a bit tricky after that though. Adam has done alright this season but given Gerrard's fitness concerns I think Kenny might look to upgrade the position and I think we'd comfortably get back what the club paid and maybe even turn a profit on the lad. I've got no idea what will happen on the Henderson front. My own opinion is that i don't see it as yet, he shows flashes but I think he has been the poorest of our regular players this season. Kenny has faith and must be happy with his form because he plays every week but it's a concern and we need him to improve by 30 odd % next season if he's a regular. I'd also like to expell this myth that he has played really well when given the chance to play in the middle this season. It gets put out there quite often but it simply isn't true. I'd like us to buy another player for the middle. I would absolutely love to see a player like Banega at the club. He likes a tackle, he's a great passer (both simple and creative) and can play in a two or a three. That is the sort of player we need I think. To sum up our centre midfield. We've got lots of industry, hard work and power but we lack that bit of guile. Charlie was bought to provide it and I can see the thinking there but he doesn't quite have what we need.

Wide Players

Weakest position at the club by far. Our biggest problem area and has been for years and years. Have got bored of shouting about it. It's the difference between us and the teams that have been winning the title for the past 22 years. We haven't had a great one since McMananaman legged it to Madrid all those years ago. We've spent large sums of money on other positions (see Torres, Masherano, Carroll, Suarez) and have generally tried to get by out wide with modest fees for modest players (see Riera, Nunez, Gonzalez, Babel) and then last summer we finally spent a big fee, but on another modest player (see Downing). To be fair to Downing he has actually come in and played the way he has for most of his career, one really good game followed by a couple of average ones, a poor one and then back to really good again. I'm confident he will improve next season as he learns to cope with being under the microscope at LFC. However, the truth is to be a great side we NEED to find a Gareth Bale or a Christiano Ronaldo from somwhere. I don't know where he's hiding but we need to find him. Arsenal look like they might have found a gem in Chamberlain and it seems to me that that is the best way to go about it (ie. gamble with a big money bid for a player who is unproven but promising). I think Kuyt and Maxi are likely to move on, Downing will get better, Sterling will get some playing times next season, Bellers will play a few but we desperately need to find someone to play on the right. Downing would actually be a lot more effective IF we had a decent player on the oppostie flank.

Forwards

Carroll is obviously the £35 million elephant in the room. All depends on how confident Kenny is that he can become the player he hoped he would be. I think he has to play him or spend big on another player. I'm not sure I can see Carroll being this expensive plan B who is often left out of the big games. Can anybody else? Atleast with European football you can argue we need another player in the position but I fear it will be not be a top top drawer player. We're set with Suarez, I don't think the club will let him go anywhere even if he fancies a move. The fans love him and he has received a lot of support this season so I think he will be content to stay unless Barca or Madrid come calling. You can't argue with Bellers as a change-up player and i'm hopeful we can get another decnet season from him.

Based on the assumptions that the club keeps faith with Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing next season.

We need:

1/ To spend a decent fee on a right winger. My knowledge of European football isn't great so I won't make any suggestions but we need to spend a good chunk of money on a young (potentially blue-chip) player. No champs league football rules out the likes of Hazard but I'm sure there is plenty of quality out there.

2/ Spend another decent fee on a forward who plays on the shoulder. Clearly they need to be a natural finisher, they need to have pace, they need to have strength. That's what we need in order to get the best out of Suarez who does all his best work between the lines.

3/ We need another quality centre-mid. A good passer, who can tackle and who offers more creativity than Adam, Henderson, Lucas and Spearing.

4/ Some cover at CB if Jamie moves on. Perhaps a veteran player with quality. A Sylvain Distin type of player if he's out there.

I think Kenny will have to move a few on in order to buy but i'd hope there is £25 million in the chest for him to spend as well. If the owners are serious then there needs to be. I think Kuyt, Maxi, Carra, Aquilani and Adam may move on myself. We'll no doubt have to stiomach paying another year of Cole's wages for him to bplay at Lille.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17: Mar 15, 2012 10:19:10 am
      Time will tell but it's going to be f**king mental on here come May/June.  ;D

Too right if we dont sign Messi some posters fingers will be blistered for different reason than when we were teens for the "furious" typing speed which they will be no doubt jerking at...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #18: Mar 15, 2012 10:20:50 am
      it's going to be F***ing mental on here come May/June.

Might book in a holiday.

Players that will no doubt move on without effecting the squad strength.

Aquilani
      Cole
      Aurelio
      Pacheco

Players that may move on that will need replacing.
      Kuyt
      Maxi
      Bellamy

So seven players out and three or four in would be a reasonable turnaround for the club without the sell to buy aspect raising its head.

Striker
      Wingers
      Midfielder

Not a massive overhaul but key investment areas for a challenge next season.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Mar 15, 2012 10:24:08 am
      Quality thread starter that pretty much sums up our position I think. I think we all know there will be no major overhaul this summer. Technically (as has already been stated) it has already taken place but we've had a shocking season in the league so clearly they need to spend some cash in a few areas.

Defence

I fully agree on the assessment of our defence. Agger and Skrtel have been a formidable partnership this season but once again Agger's brittle health comes back to haunt us so the question has to be asked of whether we can afford the drop in quality when he gets injured again next time. I think Jamie may well move on in the summer and Coates still doesn't convince me if i'm honest. If Agger was out for a long period would anyone be truly comfortable knowing Coates would be playing week in week out as things stand? Not sure I would. We are well and truly stocked at full-back and knowing we have European football in the bag next season means young Robinson and Flanagan will get the senior football they need to further their development. I think both could have done with more senior football (mind you Robinson has had injuries) this season given how well they fared last season but we simply didn't have enough to offer without Europe. Keeper could be a worry though, I'm not so sure Reina will stay yanno. It will be 3 seasons out of the Champions League in a row next year and given that he misses out for Spain I wodner if he will be looking enviously at Europe's top club competition this summer. However, if he does go i'd expect the fee to be pretty high and you'd back the club to find a decent replacement. He'd be a massive loss though.

Centre Midfield

Obviously we're sorted with Lucas and Gerrard both being top players. Young Spearing is still developing and I think he will always be Lucas' first reserve and a regular in the Europa League side next year. It gets a bit tricky after that though. Adam has done alright this season but given Gerrard's fitness concerns I think Kenny might look to upgrade the position and I think we'd comfortably get back what the club paid and maybe even turn a profit on the lad. I've got no idea what will happen on the Henderson front. My own opinion is that i don't see it as yet, he shows flashes but I think he has been the poorest of our regular players this season. Kenny has faith and must be happy with his form because he plays every week but it's a concern and we need him to improve by 30 odd % next season if he's a regular. I'd also like to expell this myth that he has played really well when given the chance to play in the middle this season. It gets put out there quite often but it simply isn't true. I'd like us to buy another player for the middle. I would absolutely love to see a player like Benega at the club. He likes a tackle, he's a great passer (both simple and creative) and can play in a two or a three. that is the sort of player we need I think. To sum up our centre midfield. We've got lots of industry, hard work and power but we lack that bit of guile. Charlie was bought to provide and I can see the thinking there but he doesn't quite have what we need.

Wide Players

Weakest position at the club by far. Our biggest problem area and has been for years and years. Have got bored of shouting about it. It's the difference between us and the teams that have been winning the title for the past 22 years. We haven't had a great one since McMananaman legged it to Madrid all those years ago. We've spent large sums of money on other positions (see Torres, Masherano, Carroll, Suarez) and have generally tried to get by out wide with modest fees for modest players (see Riera, Nunez, Gonzalez, Babel) and then last summer we spent a big fee on another modest player (see Downing). To be fair to Downing he has actually come in and played the way he has for most of his career, one reaklly good game followed by a couple of average ones, a poor one and then back to really good again. I'm confident he will improve next season as he learns to cope with being under the microscope at LFC. However, the truth is to be a great side we NEED to find a Gareth Bale or a Christiano Ronaldo from somwhere. I don't know he's hiding but we need to find him. Arsenal look like they might have found a gem in Chamberlain and it seems to me that is the best way to go about it (ie. gamble with a big money bid for a player who is unproven but promising). I think Kuyt and Maxi are likely to move on, Downing will get better, Sterling will get some playing times next season, Bellers will play a few but we desperately need to find someone to play on the right.

Forwards

Carroll is obviously the £35 million elephant in the room. All depends on how confident Kenny is that he can become the player he hoped he would be. I think he has to play him or spend big on another player. I'm not sure I can see Carroll being this expensive plan B who is often left out of the big games. Can anybody else? Atleast with European football you can argue we need anothe rplayer in the position but I fear it will be not be a top drawer player. We're set with Suarez, I don't think the club will let him go anywhere even if he fancies a move. The fans love him and he has received a lot of support this season so I think he will be content to stay unless Barca or Madrid come calling.

Based on the assumptions that the club keeps faith with Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing next season.

We need:

1/ To spend a decent fee on a right winger. My knowledge of European football isn't great so I won't make any suggestions but we need to spend a good chunk of money on a young (potentially blue-chip) player. No champs league football rules out the likes of Hazard but I'm sure there is plenty of quality out there.

2/ Spend another decent fee on a forward who plays on the shoulder. Clearly they need to be a natural finisher, they need to have pace, they need to have strength. That's what we need in order to ge tthe best out of Suarez who does all his best work between the lines.

3/ We need another quality centre-mid. A good passer, can tackle and who offers more creativity than Adam, Henderson, Lucas and Spearing.

4/ Some cover at CB if Jamie moves on. Perhaps a veteran player with quality. A Sylvain Distin type of player if he's out there.

I think Kenny will have to move a few on in order to buy but i'd hope there is £25 million in the chest for him to spend as well. If the owners are serious then there needs to be. I think Kuyt, Maxi, Carra, Aquilani and Adam may move on myself. We'll no doubt have to stiomach paying another year of Cole's wages for him to bplay at Lille.

Cracking read that Scott (as was A-zee's O.P.) - it's all to easy to state the obvious and point out problems. It's not so easy to 'put pen to paper' to describe the actual thought process which leads one to form an opinion. Well in lads.  :nod:
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #20: Mar 15, 2012 10:29:44 am
      We need three players, not sticking to the policy but I don't give a F**k. One striker 30+ age, one young right winger and one 30+ age Central Midfielder.
      The thirty plus ages is because we have so much talent in the youth. Therefore this will allow Suarez to start most games and rotate the 30 year old player and Carroll.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #21: Mar 15, 2012 10:34:09 am
      Cracking read that Scott (as was A-zee's O.P.) - it's all to easy to state the obvious and point out problems. It's not so easy to 'put pen to paper' to describe the actual thought process which leads one to form an opinion. Well in lads.  :nod:

Cheers fella, am home sick today no nothing else to do!

So much depends on the development of the younger players (particularly Carroll and Henderson) Kenny has bought and the belief he has in them hitting the heights he hopes next season. Unfortunately for me they are two players I am most worried about BUT if the board are willing to give more financial support to allow more quality to some in then perhaps they can progress without the pressure of playing the biggest games week in week out. As dissapointing as it is to miss out on chamions League again, I actually think the Europa League could be an excellent (an considerably less pressurised) proving ground for the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Coates and our other young players) next season. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #22: Mar 15, 2012 10:52:41 am
      So much depends on the development of the younger players (particularly Carroll and Henderson) Kenny has bought and the belief he has in them hitting the heights he hopes next season. Unfortunately for me they are two players I am most worried about BUT if the board are willing to give more financial support to allow more quality to some in then perhaps they can progress without the pressure of playing the biggest games week in week out.

Totally agree Scott. Neither are quite 'there' yet and may be some distance away... Andy more so than Jordan in my opinion.

Until Andy, in particular, reaches the levels expected I genuinely believe he's best used as what I see as the Plan-B (I know you may disagree  ;D) with one eye on his development. To that end; two things... we'll need another striker in the Summer and any additional European games will be a good blooding ground for him. The same maybe said of Henderson.

I've said on another thread that we can bear the brunt of losing Champions League football for a season but only if F.S.G. make up the shortfall by digging a wee bit deeper into those pockets. I can see us signing a number of quality players  but it doesn't necessarily follow that they'll cost three fortunes and it may therefore be that the club don't see the addition three or four new players as being "massive".

Get well soon btw.  8)

Quick Reply