Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Should Carra get a new contract?

Read 11357 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Should Carra get a new contract?
      Mar 19, 2012 01:00:55 pm
      Jamie Carragher was 34 in January and has made 691 appearances for Liverpool.

His contract is due to expire next summer (2013).

After being sidelined due to injury at the start of this year he lost his place to the preferred central defensive pairing of Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, but after Agger's injury sustained in the League Cup Final he has featured in the team again.

Seems to me that Liverpool have a decision to make this summer as to whether to offer him a further contract extension or allow the player to see his contract out or of course the unlikely possibility of him moving to another club.

What do you think LFC should do? Do you think Carra may consider retirement at the end of next year? Do you think he will still have something to offer in 2 seasons time in the playing squad?

LFCexiled
      Re: Should Carra get a new contract?
      Reply #1: Mar 19, 2012 01:05:33 pm
      Personally I think he's lost that yard of pace and can get turned by the more swift player, if Luis played for someone else he'd turn him inside out every time. I can see a similar situation to what happened with ratboy, he'll drop down the selection sheet and end up having to make the decision himself. Another season yes, two? Not for me, I don't think his legs have it.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2: Mar 19, 2012 01:07:55 pm
      Personally I think he's lost that yard of pace and can get turned by the more swift player, if Luis played for someone else he'd turn him inside out every time. I can see a similar situation to what happened with ratboy, he'll drop down the selection sheet and end up having to make the decision himself. Another season yes, two? Not for me, I don't think his legs have it.

I'll go with that.  :nod:
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #3: Mar 19, 2012 01:09:52 pm
      New Chelsea manager ahead of JT  :f_tongueincheek:

Having his experience for the young reds would be immense, but I don't want him getting more game time thwarting the progress of them by taking the #3 centre back role. 
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #4: Mar 19, 2012 01:10:00 pm
      I don't think we do anything this summer, let it go into next season and see where we are at the end of that, if Carra is playing and we need him to continue then I'm sure he will sign a year rolling one then, the transfer fee in this case matters little and with a year left still at his age we shouldn't need to offer him another right now.
      I don't think until then any decision will be made by him as to weather he wants to continue with playing or move into coaching.

Just leave it as it stands for me. He has shown me enough since he got back into show he can still be good for us when called upon. He will only help within the squad during training for the likes of Kelly, Coates, Flanagan etc..

The man is a legend but that doesn't mean he gets contracts he doesn't earn or require.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #5: Mar 19, 2012 01:17:39 pm
      Jamie Carragher was 34 in January and has made 691 appearances for Liverpool.

His contract is due to expire next summer (2013).

After being sidelined due to injury at the start of this year he lost his place to the preferred central defensive pairing of Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger, but after Agger's injury sustained in the League Cup Final he has featured in the team again.

Seems to me that Liverpool have a decision to make this summer as to whether to offer him a further contract extension or allow the player to see his contract out or of course the unlikely possibility of him moving to another club.

What do you think LFC should do? Do you think Carra may consider retirement at the end of next year? Do you think he will still have something to offer in 2 seasons time in the playing squad?

Let him see his contract out, then offer him a place on the coaching staff.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #6: Mar 19, 2012 01:21:37 pm
      Could this not be part of our decline over the last 20 odd years.

Too much F***ing sentimentality.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #7: Mar 19, 2012 01:23:35 pm
      Could this not be part of our decline over the last 20 odd years.

Too much f**king sentimentality.

So is that a two or three year extension you're advocating lad?  :D
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #8: Mar 19, 2012 01:23:59 pm
      I don't think he has anything to offer to the current squad if I'm being brutally honest, let him lose his legs on someone else's pitch.

Massive no from me (is there a chance we could have a poll please JD?).

edit: Just to reiterate, it's not that he doesn't have ANYTHING to offer the current squad it's just that his wages and squad role could be used a whole lot more effectively IMO.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: Mar 19, 2012 01:28:53 pm
      I think FSG will make business decisions and whilst they may be willing to pay him a salary for a coaching/ambassadorial role as soon as he stops earning his playing wages they'll make the decision. Or get someone else to.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #10: Mar 19, 2012 01:38:08 pm
      Let him see his contract out, then offer him a place on the coaching staff.
      The only option Kyle, apart from anything else the financial aspects are a no no, he is 34 and his recouperation spells are getting longer and more frequent.
      Jamie as a good servant of the club will hopefully take the right decision himself and negate the prospect of him becoming a liability at some future date.
      As Exiled said earlier he has lost that yard of pace and sometimes has to rely on brute strength to compensate with the subsequent penalties.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #11: Mar 19, 2012 01:49:20 pm
      I wouldnt offer him a new contract, crazy the lad is on 90,000 a week. He has Purslow to thank for that.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #12: Mar 19, 2012 01:50:56 pm
      I would make him a coach and give him a coach's wages whilst at the same time offering a pay-as-you-play deal in case we do ever need him
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #13: Mar 19, 2012 01:52:14 pm
      More than capable of playing 10 to 20 games a season for another year when Skrtel or Agger are injured but not 40 odd games a season as first choice due to the loss of pace. Pace aside, he is still a top class defender.

I would like to think that Carra will join the coaching staff towards the end of his contract.

Anyone see him being a future LFC manager? I wouldn't bet against it.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #14: Mar 19, 2012 01:53:42 pm
      More than capable of playing 10 to 20 games a season for another year when Skrtel or Agger are injured but not 40 odd games a season as first choice due to the loss of pace. Pace aside, he is still a top class defender.

I would like to think that Carra will join the coaching staff towards the end of his contract.

Anyone see him being a future LFC manager? I wouldn't bet against it.

No I dont to be honest, rare a good player makes a good manager. Coates has to be ahead of him next season as well.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #15: Mar 19, 2012 01:55:56 pm
      No I dont to be honest, rare a good player makes a good manager. Coates has to be ahead of him next season as well.

King Kenny anyone? :)
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #16: Mar 19, 2012 01:56:09 pm
      Don't think anybody expects him to be given a deal, time for Carra to move aside at the end of his contract.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #17: Mar 19, 2012 01:56:37 pm
      I have to say no. As much as I love Carra and that he is the soul of the club and all that .. I think his time may be up.

He's been in the squad since he was 16 (I think) and that's 18 years. After being a long servant to this club, I think it's time we look to the future. While no doubt that Skrtel and Agger is Kenny's first choice, it's also important for Coates to get game time if needed. If we're always bringing Carra in instead of Seb, he's not going to improve much which may not be a good thing for us in the future.

I'm not saying he can't offer anything (he has loads of experience and that is very important as well) but maybe his place on the bench can be used better, perhaps to a youngster from the youth team squad. It's funny to see Coates and Carragher as subsitutes, especially since even Martin Kelly is a primarily a CB. And I hate saying this .. but I think he's been more of a liability in recent times.

It's no use letting him see out his contract, then offer him a coaching role because he wants to play football as long as he can. I'm guessing the club or Carra has a big decision to make this summer.

:D

I don't think he has anything to offer to the current squad if I'm being brutally honest, let him lose his legs on someone else's pitch.

edit: Just to reiterate, it's not that he doesn't have ANYTHING to offer the current squad it's just that his wages and squad role could be used a whole lot more effectively IMO.

:P
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #18: Mar 19, 2012 01:57:02 pm
      It's a no for me. I think his legs have been going for a while and errors have started creeping into his game. Hopefully by next season Coates will be more advanced in his development and can take over from Carra as third choice, and either someone will step up from the reserves or we will bring someone in for the fourth spot.

If Carra wishes to remain at Liverpool it will have to be as squad cover and a coach, similar to what was offered to Hyypia.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #19: Mar 19, 2012 01:57:50 pm
      Wouldn't like to guess either way in terms of future management, no one knows how if at all he takes to coaching. Could happen though, seems to be absorbed by the game. I'd love to see him take to it well.

Some players take to it well, Kenny hasn't done bad.
      I don't see him not being involved after he finishes playing if I'm honest.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Mar 19, 2012 02:03:11 pm

For every Kenny Dalglish there has being a Ian Rush Phil Neal Ronnie Whelan Graeme Souness Paul Ince. Top players mostly dont make good managers.

If I'm honest because of Carragher wages I'd be looking to off load him in the Summer. Kelly and Coates can do a job in the centre if Agger and Skrtel are injured.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #21: Mar 19, 2012 02:09:51 pm
      I agree with most on here. He's been a great player for Liverpool, but I don't think he'll be up for it in 2 years. His days as a player are almost over, time to give him another function within the club!
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #22: Mar 19, 2012 02:10:51 pm
      @ Adryan, I just realised that I'd be lambasted by a lot of Carra supporters for giving my honest views so I just toned them down a little as not to offend.

£90k a week for a 4th choice (others might argue he deserves to be higher up the pecking order but that's a discussion for another thread) CB who doesn't even offer the option of being able to play another position or two isn't what LFC should be aspiring to.  We should be looking to get rid ASAP.

You should thank your lucky stars that it's Kenny Dalglish and not me in charge of this club because he wouldn't even get a squad number next season.  If he could offer us an option to play at LB, RB or DM to an acceptable standard, I'd consider changing my mind but he really doesn't so I'm afraid it's a "thanks, but no thanks" vote from me.

Quick Reply