Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool 1-2 Wigan: In-Game and Post Match Numbness

Read 45376 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Wigan: In-Game and Post Match Numbness
      Reply #805: Mar 25, 2012 11:07:53 am
      Horrible game yesterday.  Was in no mood to discuss it when I got back and my mood has only marginally improved.

From the first minute we didn't look like we wanted it.  Slow to come out from the back.  Playing Suarez up front on his own, and three central midfielders against Wigan - at home - was beyond ludicrous.  Really bad idea.  I can understand it away - and I can understand it at home against tough teams - but not Wigan.  First mistake.

Gerrard looked fu**ed.  Flanagan had an okay game.  Downing, as ever was F***ing awful.  Our worst signing by a country mile.  I'd send him to the glue factory but he would probably make really sh*t glue.

I'm sick of watching him play for us now.  He'll never make it for us.

Suarez and Kuyt had some exceptionally poor first touches of the ball.

All in all it was a completely sh*te performance by the players, the fans, and as for the booing at the end - F***ing embarrassing.  I sincerely hope anyone who booed take a stand and not follow us back to Wembley.

Our league performance has gone from not bad, to poor, to shocking in the space of a couple of months.  I knew we wouldn't finish 4th after we lost to Arsenal a few weeks back.  The players have played the past week as if they know as well.  Grim grim stuff.  Roll on May.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #806: Mar 25, 2012 11:26:52 am
      I'm going to get slated for this, but I feel Kenny is in no position to demand more transfer funds after wasting +-80 million on mediocre players.

Someone mentoned earlier whether Kenny is brave enough to take the necessary actions and decisions comes the end of the season, but I'm afraid it's not so much of what he wants to do and what actions he'll take, more of whether the owner is willing to give him a second bite at the cherry. Would the owners have the confidence to provide Kenny another 80 mil to rectify the problem? The saddest thing is that the 3-under performers are those that cost a large chunk of money, while those performers costs almost next to nothing. The boos around the ground doesn't sounds well for Kenny, and when that happens it only means that the fans are growing tired and frustrated with the players to the manager. I truly love and respect Kenny but this time I truly fear for him. having said that, I hope the owners will give Kenny another season but Kenny needs to be ruthless and get rid of the deadwoods first and to be very very careful to buy players that can have immediate impact, no more so called potential or developing players that costs as much as the Agueros or Silvas.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #807: Mar 25, 2012 11:31:06 am
      Someone mentoned earlier whether Kenny is brave enough to take the necessary actions and decisions comes the end of the season, but I'm afraid it's not so much of what he wants to do and what actions he'll take, more of whether the owner is willing to give him a second bite at the cherry. Would the owners have the confidence to provide Kenny another 80 mil to rectify the problem? The saddest thing is that the 3-under performers are those that cost a large chunk of money, while those performers costs almost next to nothing. The boos around the ground doesn't sounds well for Kenny, and when that happens it only means that the fans are growing tired and frustrated with the players to the manager. I truly love and respect Kenny but this time I truly fear for him. having said that, I hope the owners will give Kenny another season but Kenny needs to be ruthless and get rid of the deadwoods first and to be very very careful to buy players that can have immediate impact, no more so called potential or developing players that costs as much as the Agueros or Silvas.

Some very fair and valid points in that to be honest.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #808: Mar 25, 2012 11:32:44 am
      Horrible game yesterday.  Was in no mood to discuss it when I got back and my mood has only marginally improved.

From the first minute we didn't look like we wanted it.  Slow to come out from the back.  Playing Suarez up front on his own, and three central midfielders against Wigan - at home - was beyond ludicrous.  Really bad idea.  I can understand it away - and I can understand it at home against tough teams - but not Wigan.  First mistake.

Gerrard looked fu**ed.  Flanagan had an okay game.  Downing, as ever was F***ing awful.  Our worst signing by a country mile.  I'd send him to the glue factory but he would probably make really sh*t glue.

I'm sick of watching him play for us now.  He'll never make it for us.

Suarez and Kuyt had some exceptionally poor first touches of the ball.

All in all it was a completely sh*te performance by the players, the fans, and as for the booing at the end - F***ing embarrassing.  I sincerely hope anyone who booed take a stand and not follow us back to Wembley.

Our league performance has gone from not bad, to poor, to shocking in the space of a couple of months.  I knew we wouldn't finish 4th after we lost to Arsenal a few weeks back.  The players have played the past week as if they know as well.  Grim grim stuff.  Roll on May.
      Lets wrap it up and say you enjoyed the game.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #809: Mar 25, 2012 11:38:51 am
      Nice of him to also leave our another difference - one trophy so far.

And the possibility of another trophy. And guaranteed European football for next season. And the fact that on the whole we're now coming away from games saying "how the f*ck did we not win that?" as opposed to "we were lucky not to be beaten there".
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #810: Mar 25, 2012 11:49:10 am
      Well, like Jay Z said, "On to next one"
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #811: Mar 25, 2012 11:52:00 am
      We can decipher until the cows come home, but the bottom line, is we are not perfroming because the majority of KK's transfer purchases have been terrible.

In order from best to worst:

1. Enrique
      2. Bellamy
      3. Carroll
      4. Adam
      5. Henderson
      6. Downing

That's why the buck stops with the manger.

Granted others have not been performing; Reina, Carragher, but if your midfield are not closing down (Adam, Downing, Henderson), tracking back, retaining possession, and carving out that final ball, then you invite pressure on your defence, and you have a hard time scoring.

It sounds obvious because it is obvious.

I don't want KK out, but I want him to own up to himself he's come up short, get ruthless with a few players, and start afresh at Newcastle.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #812: Mar 25, 2012 12:32:41 pm

Whether it is misfortune, tiredness or sheer lack of quality, they are confronted with a league table which suggests remaining in the top 10 is their priority.

The more they argue their natural place is in the top four, the less convincing they sound.

They have to start living up their own billing because a third consecutive seventh-placed finish, or worse, should never be acceptable at such an illustrious venue. There will come a time when the stream of mitigating factors put forward need to give way to a blunt acknowledgement this is not good enough.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9162750/Liverpool-1-Wigan-Athletic-2-match-report.html
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #813: Mar 25, 2012 12:48:05 pm
      Well, like Jay Z said, "On to next one"

I got a million way of spending it,
      I picked the wrong ones, :f_whistle:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #814: Mar 25, 2012 02:19:08 pm
      Ive just come on the forum about 5 mins ago, i did not see anything from yesterday nor did i see that pathetic so called football show on bbc,

all i know is we lost, didn't play well and obviously weren't good enough, so i'm sort of impartial of the comments above this post,

losing at home to Wigan is yet another kick in the bollocks in our league campaign, it is very clear some of our players simply don't or can't step up to the standards of football expected at Anfield, they are not tired, they are not unfit, they are not injured, they are simply not of the standard to compete at a consistent level Kenny expects from them,

now all you doom-mongering neg heads can moan all you f***in want,yesterdays and Wednesdays results would have giving you all hard-ons i'm guessing, and fuel your pathetic '' i told you so'' attitude,

as much as i admit that performances such as Wednesday's was decent barring the exception we seem to struggle to kill off the opposition,we can still at least take something from that match,i cant comment on yesterdays effort but according to the last 10 mins when Raheem came on he created mayhem, so that is a positive and in hindsight maybe Kenny should have introduced him sooner,

it's another bad day at the office and no doubt Kenny will give them all sh*t, deservedly so, or if the neg-heads get their way, hammer another nail in the coffin for Kenny, but, they will need thousands of nails wont they, for them to get their way, f***in morons,

IKWT   YNWA
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #815: Mar 25, 2012 02:54:16 pm
      all i know is we lost, didn't play well and obviously weren't good enough, so i'm sort of impartial of the comments above this post,
      That's right, we were terrible. Nothing more, nothing less.

they are simply not of the standard to compete at a consistent level Kenny expects from them,
      The problem though, is that it was KK who purchased these under performers. What's more worryng for me, is that none of them were setting the Prem on fire at their old clubs.

now all you doom-mongering neg heads can moan all you f***in want,
      And they will, and it is well deserved too, because not only do we all hate seeing our team lose at home to the bottom club, the way in which we lost was heartbreaking. So yes, people complaining are totally and fully justified and need no approval to do so. This our worst home record since 1954. That means it really is particularly bad, and if you haven't earned the right to question a manager's decision making by then, when can you?

yesterdays and Wednesdays results would have giving you all hard-ons i'm guessing,and fuel your pathetic '' i told you so'' attitude,
      I doubt very much any supporter actually wants the team to lose just so they can look right in the eyes of others. I see this statement quite a lot and think it's a load of tosh. Yes perhaps some here want KK replaced, and therefore look to take something 'positive' out of a home defeat - but even that is understandable. How bad did we feel toward the end of Roy's tenure? Etu Brutus?

There is however a kind of numb feeling, wherein people really don't feel so bad that we lost again. And that's due to the simple fact that we're getting use to losing.

as much as i admit that performances such as Wednesday's was decent barring the exception we seem to struggle to kill off the opposition,we can still at least take something from that match,
      Apart from one or two games this season, we can take something from all our defeats and draws. But it doesn't change a single thing does it? It's no good to anyone if we can take something from our defeats/draws and still not be able to learn from it. We just seem to keep doing the same thing over and over again.

i cant comment on yesterdays effort but according to the last 10 mins when Raheem came on he created mayhem,
      He was a lot livelier than Downing for sure, but then so am I, and I've got a dodgy knee and back. Sterling did have that youthful exuberance and little regard for the oppositon we see often in young players. He ran at defenders and crossed a few times, he was a breath of fresh air.

so that is a positive and in hindsight maybe Kenny should have introduced him sooner,
      I'd be amazed if he didn't after yesterday. He was effective. 

it's another bad day at the office and no doubt Kenny will give them all sh*t, deservedly so,
      He's given them sh*t for a good few games this season, but it hasn't (so far) made the slight bit of difference. We've heard this old party line a few times now, 'kenny will give them a rollicking'. Only now it has gone way passed that, and it's time for actual practical changes to be made.

or if the neg-heads get their way, hammer another nail in the coffin for Kenny,
      According to statistics, he's had over a year, spend £100m, and now has a worse record than Roy Hodgson did, with less points. Whilst I don't want him out, I can fully understand the frustration with those that do.

but, they will need thousands of nails wont they, for them to get their way,
      Kenny is the King and idolised around here. But if he is sacked it will be down to his record on the pitch.

I don't think they are any more moronic than when folk started calling for Roy to be replaced. You'll get this at any club, Arsenal, Chelsea, any club.

I honeslty believe if KK had not won the CC and gotten us into the Semis of the FA Cup, he'd be in a really dodgy situation. As it goes, I think he'll be given one more season and another £40-£60m to sort this mess out.

If he can't, he's not untouchable, and will have to face up to the fact that 7th is not good enough.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #816: Mar 25, 2012 03:28:33 pm

Why are we giving up on fourth place ffs? If we have won the last 2 games, we would have been 7 points behind Spurs and they have been in a slump for the past few weeks.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #817: Mar 25, 2012 03:29:00 pm
      My mate who hasn't been for a while went yesterday. He couldn't believe how lazy the players were and said it is really noticeable live than on the tv.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #818: Mar 25, 2012 03:36:24 pm
      Barring one or two players we looked absolute dogshit and you can include the captain, vice-captain and goalkeeper in that.

Maybe a slight knee-jerk but right now Skrtel and Suarez are the only two players I'd keep, even Enrique has been crap the last few games, that's how bad we've been.

I wouldn't start worrying about the manager just yet, but i would be asking questions of certain players now, if they aren't good enough and sad to say but I think a few them aren't good enough and unfortunately to me they are all British!

Fair enough the ship's been steadied, a couple of trophies could be won, but in terms of going for the league, that squad isn't strong enough and needs improvement.

Wigan may be in trouble but at times yesterday their passing and movement was far better than anything we did.

We need to see that hunger back.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #819: Mar 25, 2012 03:54:13 pm
      Why are we giving up on fourth place ffs? If we have won the last 2 games, we would have been 7 points behind Spurs and they have been in a slump for the past few weeks.
      Spurs in a slump!!!!!! then what are we in ?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #820: Mar 25, 2012 04:05:25 pm
      That's right, we were terrible. Nothing more, nothing less.
      The problem though, is that it was KK who purchased these under performers. What's more worryng for me, is that none of them were setting the Prem on fire at their old clubs.
      And they will, and it is well deserved too, because not only do we all hate seeing our team lose at home to the bottom club, the way in which we lost was heartbreaking. So yes, people complaining are totally and fully justified and need no approval to do so. This our worst home record since 1954. That means it really is particularly bad, and if you haven't earned the right to question a manager's decision making by then, when can you?
      I doubt very much any supporter actually wants the team to lose just so they can look right in the eyes of others. I see this statement quite a lot and think it's a load of tosh. Yes perhaps some here want KK replaced, and therefore look to take something 'positive' out of a home defeat - but even that is understandable. How bad did we feel toward the end of Roy's tenure? Etu Brutus?

There is however a kind of numb feeling, wherein people really don't feel so bad that we lost again. And that's due to the simple fact that we're getting use to losing.
      Apart from one or two games this season, we can take something from all our defeats and draws. But it doesn't change a single thing does it? It's no good to anyone if we can take something from our defeats/draws and still not be able to learn from it. We just seem to keep doing the same thing over and over again.
      He was a lot livelier than Downing for sure, but then so am I, and I've got a dodgy knee and back. Sterling did have that youthful exuberance and little regard for the oppositon we see often in young players. He ran at defenders and crossed a few times, he was a breath of fresh air.
      I'd be amazed if he didn't after yesterday. He was effective. 
      He's given them sh*t for a good few games this season, but it hasn't (so far) made the slight bit of difference. We've heard this old party line a few times now, 'kenny will give them a rollicking'. Only now it has gone way passed that, and it's time for actual practical changes to be made.
      According to statistics, he's had over a year, spend £100m, and now has a worse record than Roy Hodgson did, with less points. Whilst I don't want him out, I can fully understand the frustration with those that do.
      Kenny is the King and idolised around here. But if he is sacked it will be down to his record on the pitch.
      I don't think they are any more moronic than when folk started calling for Roy to be replaced. You'll get this at any club, Arsenal, Chelsea, any club.

I honeslty believe if KK had not won the CC and gotten us into the Semis of the FA Cup, he'd be in a really dodgy situation. As it goes, I think he'll be given one more season and another £40-£60m to sort this mess out.

If he can't, he's not untouchable, and will have to face up to the fact that 7th is not good enough.

Your probably right about yesterdays performance,'nothing more, 'nothing less',
      I cant agree that we're playing sh*te and that Kenny's to blame as it's his purchases, nor is it his when the players cross the whitewash, they all get paid very very well they are professional athletes, a manager can organise, give orders and conduct the style of play, but if the players don't for whatever reason follow those directions, then it's more than likely going to turn to sh*t,

to say that when Kenny gives the players sh*t hasn't made a difference is crap,
      re-post Bolton, don't you think it made a difference then?

it's down to Kenny if he is sacked, ff's, it's his first full season, he has already won us a trophy, when we win the FA cup, that will be two, even if we were to finish 8th i would still regard this season as a success, i agree that our performances in the league of late are unacceptable, but we are rebuilding, we will have peaks and troughs,

we can all count in one hand the below par performances this season, most of the games we have played well and in many very well, it isn't good enough for this club never will be, history tells you that sacking managers early does more harm than good, names like Shankly,Busby,Stein,Revie,Robson, Clough,Ferguscum, etc, are proof of that, Kenny IS the right man, and given time he will prove it, why do you think ferguson's arse is getting squeeky, he knows Kenny is the right man, hence his obsessive antics,

£100m- dont make me laugh, if only,fucks sake, do you read the s*n by any chance, thats the kind of sh*te they come up with, i cant be arsed quoting proper stats cos i just know it's nowhere near that when you take out the sales,

MORONS... yes they f***in are, if they dont like it they can all F**k off, they belong with the Owl at the baggies, not at our club, and it's F**k all to do with opinions, if they cant get themselves up when things dont go our way then F**k them, you either support thru thick and thin or not at all,we dont need half arsed supporters at this club, the Kop it seems is riddled with them these days,

and finally, if anyone has any faith in Kenny,they will know, he will sort things out, your very word 'MESS' tells me you have none or very little faith in our King to do just that, 7th isn't good enough,but nor is 6th, 5th, 4th 3rd, or even 2nd, but winning a cup, possibly two is progress,

in years to come, we will all remember winning silverware, we wont remember finishing in 4th or below, some of our fans will do well to drag their heads out of their arses, get behind the King and give him and the lads our famous support,instead of whingeing and f***in moaning everytime we dont play very well or worse lose.

IKWT    YNWA

American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #821: Mar 25, 2012 04:19:08 pm

The fact that we've lost those 2 games is why we've given up on 4th place. There's a very very slim chance of us getting 4th at this point. We're 15 points off of 4th, with Chelsea and Newcastle fighting for it, with 8 and 5 point leads on us respectively (Newcastle a game in hand, up 1-0 against WBA) and Tottenham trying to hold it. There are eight games to play, I doubt we'll be able to overcome that lead, and we should be focusing our targets on winning the FA Cup and letting players like Sterling and Shelvey see time in the league games, hopefully we'll get to 6th, but even that will be tough. It's not a lack of belief or anything like that on my part, but rather just a realistic approach to evaluating our season.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,496 posts | 1490 
      Reply #822: Mar 25, 2012 04:26:38 pm
      Your probably right about yesterdays performance,'nothing more, 'nothing less',
      I cant agree that we're playing sh*te and that Kenny's to blame as it's his purchases, nor is it his when the players cross the whitewash, they all get paid very very well they are professional athletes, a manager can organise, give orders and conduct the style of play, but if the players don't for whatever reason follow those directions, then it's more than likely going to turn to sh*t,

to say that when Kenny gives the players sh*t hasn't made a difference is crap,
      re-post Bolton, don't you think it made a difference then?

it's down to Kenny if he is sacked, ff's, it's his first full season, he has already won us a trophy, when we win the FA cup, that will be two, even if we were to finish 8th i would still regard this season as a success, i agree that our performances in the league of late are unacceptable, but we are rebuilding, we will have peaks and troughs,

we can all count in one hand the below par performances this season, most of the games we have played well and in many very well, it isn't good enough for this club never will be, history tells you that sacking managers early does more harm than good, names like Shankly,Busby,Stein,Revie,Robson, Clough,Ferguscum, etc, are proof of that, Kenny IS the right man, and given time he will prove it, why do you think ferguson's arse is getting squeeky, he knows Kenny is the right man, hence his obsessive antics,

£100m- dont make me laugh, if only,fucks sake, do you read the s*n by any chance, thats the kind of sh*te they come up with, i cant be arsed quoting proper stats cos i just know it's nowhere near that when you take out the sales,

MORONS... yes they f***in are, if they dont like it they can all F**k off, they belong with the Owl at the baggies, not at our club, and it's F**k all to do with opinions, if they cant get themselves up when things dont go our way then F**k them, you either support thru thick and thin or not at all,we dont need half arsed supporters at this club, the Kop it seems is riddled with them these days,

and finally, if anyone has any faith in Kenny,they will know, he will sort things out, your very word 'MESS' tells me you have none or very little faith in our King to do just that, 7th isn't good enough,but nor is 6th, 5th, 4th 3rd, or even 2nd, but winning a cup, possibly two is progress,

in years to come, we will all remember winning silverware, we wont remember finishing in 4th or below, some of our fans will do well to drag their heads out of their arses, get behind the King and give him and the lads our famous support,instead of whingeing and f***in moaning everytime we dont play very well or worse lose.

IKWT    YNWA

You put a good reply together for the most part, but it degenerated into the well known malady wherein one supporter cannot resist the compulsive urge to crap on other supporters 'below' them and call them 'lesser' in some way. Just because they don't see things exactly the same way as another.

As for the £100m, I'm not bringing to attention to the 'ins' and 'outs' in the transfer market. My point was to highlight what he has spent the money on. Yes he's recouped quite a bit, but I was talking about the talent he has brought in.

I'm not going to address the rest of your post because I have no intentions of having a pissing contest centred around 'who is the really best supporter' load of crap these debates always seem to devolve into.

Newcastle next.

For the record, I think anyone who wants KK sacked before the season's end is insane.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #823: Mar 25, 2012 04:41:25 pm
      The fact that we've lost those 2 games is why we've given up on 4th place. There's a very very slim chance of us getting 4th at this point. We're 15 points off of 4th, with Chelsea and Newcastle fighting for it, with 8 and 5 point leads on us respectively (Newcastle a game in hand, up 1-0 against WBA) and Tottenham trying to hold it. There are eight games to play, I doubt we'll be able to overcome that lead, and we should be focusing our targets on winning the FA Cup and letting players like Sterling and Shelvey see time in the league games, hopefully we'll get to 6th, but even that will be tough. It's not a lack of belief or anything like that on my part, but rather just a realistic approach to evaluating our season.

Correction, I meant why have we given up on fourth place as some had suggested as an excuse for our players lack of focus on the previous two League games after we had lost to Arsenal.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #824: Mar 25, 2012 06:47:02 pm
      Wigan may be in trouble but at times yesterday their passing and movement was far better than anything we did.

We need to see that hunger back.

Spot on la! The King has to impose a bit more authority on some of these players because to me they're just going through the motions.

Our league form has to improve at once.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #825: Mar 25, 2012 07:05:45 pm
      Spot on la! The King has to impose a bit more authority on some of these players because to me they're just going through the motions.

Our league form has to improve at once.

he simply does not have sufficent back up to drop people. We did get shut of a lot of players this summer and I think we are short on numbers.
      If Kenny is right and we did have tired legs then the Newcastle game should be an interesting one.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #826: Mar 25, 2012 07:13:36 pm
      After a full week's rest for all the players their should be a marked improvement in all the players picked for the Newcastle game.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #827: Mar 25, 2012 09:11:05 pm
      I'd like to see a few of them coming on with plasters over their ears after the bollocking Kenny gave them.

Quick Reply