Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool 1-2 Wigan: In-Game and Post Match Numbness

Read 45050 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Wigan: In-Game and Post Match Numbness
      Reply #828: Mar 25, 2012 09:45:48 pm
      From the first five minutes yesterday, you could see the lack of intention from the players to play the ball out from defence. It was slow. There was little running from the midfield and Suarez was up top on his tod.

This was not the right signal to send out to us, the supporters - who contribute towards these extortionate wages, who were extremely let down by the midweek defeat and who were mostly getting slowly baked with the heat in the back of 305.

For one reason or another, we are not clicking in the league. Quite frankly, our attitude has given out the most putrid of smells when we haven't been up against one of the rivals or a team from the top four. Dalglish has to take responsibility for some of this. The players are to blame, but when the players are to blame, then you look to the manager to drum some sense into them and sort them out.

When you are verging on zero points for the whole month of March, then the message isn't getting through. I can appreciate that Arsenal was a game we could have won, but then it was Arsenal, so we seemed more up for it.

Yesterdays game lacked any sort of conviction that we may have had against Arsenal. For large portions of the game, Wigan knocked the ball about us as though they were F***ing Arsenal!!

Far too many players coasting along now and it has to stop. This is a wake up call for Dalglish and his players. Every 3 points are a must and caution is not something that should be first and foremost. Especially at Anfield.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #829: Mar 25, 2012 11:07:22 pm
      I said it after the QPR loss and i'll say it again now. This season is done in the league for us, give more players like sterling a chance to get experience in the league. we will still be in the top flight next year and we wont be in the champions league. This is a golden opportunity to give these young lads a go in the league so they are not overwhelmed when we need them in more important games next season.... i don't know about you guys but finishing 7th or 10th doesn't matter its not good enough, and we should at least use this opportunity to bleed in the next generation of players
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #830: Mar 25, 2012 11:34:38 pm
      Im still numb....
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #831: Mar 26, 2012 12:11:42 am
      From the first five minutes yesterday, you could see the lack of intention from the players to play the ball out from defence. It was slow. There was little running from the midfield and Suarez was up top on his tod.

A bit surprised at this comment mate. Although things look different at the game than they do on a stream, but I thought we knocked the ball about pretty well (admittedly without creating much) until they got the penalty. I think a few heads went down then as the "here we go again" mentality crept in. Even when we scored it never really seemed like we would kick on, just seemed flat.

Not sure that tireness had much to do with our performance .... more like the players just accepted it wasn't their day rather than fighting to make it their day.   
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #832: Mar 26, 2012 12:24:55 am
      Don't understand how, though, our football became like this when it was better in the first half of the season.

Some important traits that are still missing in the side is that hunger we need to want to win games more than anyone and the fact that the players shouldn't let their heads down after we concede.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #833: Mar 26, 2012 12:47:17 am
      The poorest center mid field I can remember was Mark Write and Stephany Henchoz and even they had a better return that tis current lot. Attitude, Effort, Desire, Passion, Ambition call it what you like, to make it work you first and foremost have to have talent. And that gentlemen is exactly what we are patently short of. Henderson, Adam and Downing would do well to get into the Swindon Town or Southampton first 11 at the moment. What the F**k are they doing in a Liverpool Shirt. Enough is enough, we all make mistakes, move them on, get them out and do what it takes to get some real quality in the side. Not palyers with potential, or promise. Proven quality  players. That's if any want to come to us anymore .
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #834: Mar 26, 2012 12:47:59 am
      Once again another dismal performance.Selected players will perform to their,current ability.Analyse each player's performance,and you won't need me to point out the failings.What I have the right to question now at this stage of the season,is where the Management team,can turn things around to achieve better than a top 7 placing,which by our standards is failure on our expectations.Managers have been sacked for less.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #835: Mar 26, 2012 08:54:10 am
      To be honest I never saw the game and only caught highlights but IF I've got this right...

* Carroll didn't start - something that many have been calling for.
      * Suarez and Kuyt started up-front together - something that many have been calling for.
      * Adam wasn't playing - something that many have been calling for.
      * Spearing and Gerrard started together - something that many have been calling for.
      * Henderson didn't finish the game - something that many have been calling for.
      * Downing too was substituted - something that many have been calling for.
      * Shelvey got to play - something that many have been calling for.
      * Sterling got his long awaited run out - something that many have been calling for.

So basically everything that we believe should have happened (player wise) happened and still we lost? Everything that we, as armchair managers, thought Kenny needed to do to make things right didn't work? Holy F**k: who'd be a manager; eh?  :o
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #836: Mar 26, 2012 09:45:12 am
      Why are we giving up on fourth place ffs? If we have won the last 2 games, we would have been 7 points behind Spurs and they have been in a slump for the past few weeks.

Because we can't win a game?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #837: Mar 26, 2012 07:57:27 pm
      Shameless, gutless performance to a man
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #838: Mar 26, 2012 08:01:58 pm
      Im still gutted, the post QPR storm cloud has just grown and is still slamming down fist size hail balls at my head.

Bet we beat Newcastle on the weekend mind!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #839: Mar 27, 2012 10:16:57 am
      To be honest I never saw the game and only caught highlights but IF I've got this right...

* Carroll didn't start - something that many have been calling for.
      * Suarez and Kuyt started up-front together - something that many have been calling for.
      * Adam wasn't playing - something that many have been calling for.
      * Spearing and Gerrard started together - something that many have been calling for.
      * Henderson didn't finish the game - something that many have been calling for.
      * Downing too was substituted - something that many have been calling for.
      * Shelvey got to play - something that many have been calling for.
      * Sterling got his long awaited run out - something that many have been calling for.

So basically everything that we believe should have happened (player wise) happened and still we lost? Everything that we, as armchair managers, thought Kenny needed to do to make things right didn't work? Holy f**k: who'd be a manager; eh?  :o

And the manager then gets criticised and debate starts about his future when he does what the general consensus is thought to be the right things.

Lose/lose situation for Kenny at the minute at appears.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #840: Mar 27, 2012 10:19:54 am
      Well, like Jay Z said, "On to next one"

99 problems and a bi*ch aint one.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #841: Mar 31, 2012 02:02:11 pm
      Jeff sterling has just said some shocking stats from this game. The worst one i think is 62% possession to Wigan
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #842: Mar 31, 2012 02:11:04 pm
      Jeff sterling has just said some shocking stats from this game. The worst one i think is 62% possession to Wigan

Not sure where he has got the stats from, BBC says 54% possession to Liverpool  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17412511

Guardian says 57% possession to Liverpool  http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/match/2012/mar/24/liverpool-v-wiganathletic

While Sky themselves say we had 56.9% possession http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3409379,00.html
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #843: Mar 31, 2012 02:13:30 pm
      Not sure where he has got the stats from, BBC says 54% possession to Liverpool  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17412511

Guardian says 57% possession to Liverpool  http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/match/2012/mar/24/liverpool-v-wiganathletic
      Worrying
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #844: Mar 31, 2012 02:15:10 pm
      Dunno where he got them but just said them on sky sports Saturday.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #845: Mar 31, 2012 02:16:56 pm
      Dunno where he got them but just said them on sky sports Saturday.

That just shows the crap they come out with on Sky.

I watched the game and I'm pretty sure we had more of the possession than Wigan did.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #846: Mar 31, 2012 02:18:29 pm

I think the worrying stat was that Wigan had 2 shots on target and scored 2 goals :(
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #847: Mar 31, 2012 02:19:00 pm
      Thought they were actually talking a lot of sense. Phil Thompson was very honest saying what is happening is not good enough.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #848: Mar 31, 2012 02:23:43 pm
      I think the worrying stat was that Wigan had 2 shots on target and scored 2 goals :(

For me, never mind the new purchases, the real worry has been Reina.

He's not the keeper he once way, that doesn't mean he won't start flying again, but right now he looks shell shocked.

Not surprising really, seeing as he's got the best view of the other 10 players in front of him.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #849: Mar 31, 2012 02:23:54 pm
      Talking about Thommo, i would love for him to be involved in the set up with Kenny.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #850: Mar 31, 2012 02:25:52 pm
      Talking about Thommo, i would love for him to be involved in the set up with Kenny.

Me too. He would certainly bring plenty of passion with him.

Quick Reply