Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Will next year really be our year?

Read 11069 times
      seanmalonelfc
      • Forum Michael Robinson
      • Started Topic

• 53 posts |
      • OOOH YOU BEAUTY! WHAT A HIT SON, WHAT A HIT!
      Will next year really be our year?
      Mar 28, 2012 07:47:13 pm
      So despite our two cup runs, this season looks like fizzling out into a dissapointing one yet again. Are we going to have to simply accept mid-table mediocrity or will next year actually be our year? What needs to be done in the summer in terms of signings, club infrastructure ect..

Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Re: Will next year really be our year?
      Reply #1: Mar 29, 2012 11:16:12 am
      If we sign a play of Van Persies quality we will win the league. Just my thought.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: Mar 29, 2012 11:22:45 am
      We wont win the league next season, look how far behind we are this season! and you can rest assured that the teams above us will all strengthen majorly.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #3: Mar 29, 2012 11:23:56 am
      Yes, of course it will.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #4: Mar 29, 2012 11:26:14 am
      We wont win the league next season, look how far behind we are this season! and you can rest assured that the teams above us will all strengthen majorly.
      I honestly reckon we will. Just need a world class striker.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Mar 29, 2012 11:51:49 am
      If we manage to get 2 world class players in a striker and right winger then I think we'll surprise a few people in how close we can get to the very top of the league, much will depend on Lucas coming back as the same force he was as this will be like getting another world class player in too.

Despite all the negativity I don't think we're that far away from really having a good challenge, my gut belief is that it wont be next year, but the year after as City are bound to strengthen again and they might just have too much experience and quality to catch in such a short space of time.

Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #6: Mar 29, 2012 12:06:10 pm
      So despite our two cup runs, this season looks like fizzling out into a dissapointing one yet again. Are we going to have to simply accept mid-table mediocrity or will next year actually be our year? What needs to be done in the summer in terms of signings, club infrastructure ect..

I know what you're saying but "disappointing season"? Really? I think you're dismissing our cup runs out of hand, which is ridiculous.

OK so we've done sh*t in the league but one cup in the bag and another on the horizon, I honestly wouldn't call it "disappointing".

Any season where we win stuff is successful in my opinion.

The league form will come, next season will be better than this one, then the season after will be better again etc. etc.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #7: Mar 29, 2012 02:28:58 pm
      If you want to win the title you need a good push the year before - ideally finishing a close second. Can't remember the last time this didnt happen.

For us to win outright we would need to have the best keeper (this year we havent) best defense (which we've got if Lucas is kept fit) best midfield (we are way off) best strikeforce (way way off) and best manager (this season i could name six managers who have done better than Kenny).

Obviously I would love it we did win but don't forget getting a world class striker wouldnt have been enough even to win it this year. All the teams above us wil lbe spending money in Summer.

Given we start off behind them AND have less money we would have to spend our money a lot more wisely than all of them this Summer to be in with a shout. Looking at our signings under Kenny/Comolli i would say the chances of that aren't very high.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #8: Mar 29, 2012 02:42:32 pm
      If we sign a play of Van Persies quality we will win the league. Just my thought.

I love the optimism, and I tend to agree that if we had a true world class CF that we would be close to the top this season, but what world class striker are we going to sign this summer?  In my opinion, if we had one of Van Persie, Aguero, Ibra, or Benzema this season then we would have been close to the top of the table.  However, none of them will be up for sale this summer, while the likes of Huntelaar, Podolski, Ba, etc are not of the same caliber of the aforementioned world class forwards.  If we do not get a true world class striker (and we won't) then we will need to strengthen in a number of other areas to be able to compensate for not having the necessary firepower up front to consistently win us games.
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #9: Mar 29, 2012 02:50:59 pm
      Yes
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,041 posts | 3966 
      Reply #10: Mar 29, 2012 02:51:42 pm
      And who is there in place right now to feed a world class striker, we have been found wanting in several area's but most notably in the midfield and out wide - do you not think this situation needs to be addressed as a proirity?
      Sahara
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts |
      Reply #11: Mar 29, 2012 02:55:33 pm
      And who is there in place right now to feed a world class striker, we have been found wanting in several area's but most notably in the midfield and out wide - do you not think this situation needs to be addressed as a proirity?

Fair point but in spite of that we have still created tons of chances this season, especially at home.  Hopefully with a quality striker in place in the summer they won't be wasted chances next season
      redder
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -2 
      Reply #12: Mar 29, 2012 02:58:50 pm
      it would be mad to aim higher than a top 4 finish next year and even that will be a major achievement. winning the league is nowhere close with this team.

we need patience not unrealistic expectations.

as regards the 2 great cup runs...the carling cup win was brilliant! but so far in the FA cup other than beating utd (which was sweeet), it hasn't been a terrific run(going on who we had to play -Oldham, brighton and stoke!), and there is a long way to go yet. hopefully we can do it. then we can say we had 2 great cup successess this year and try to bring that winning mentality into the league next year with a few new additions to the team over the summer.

Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #13: Mar 29, 2012 03:08:01 pm
      Dont be so deluded lads we wont be winning no league next year and i dont expect us too. Top four has too be the aim for next two years
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #14: Mar 29, 2012 03:15:25 pm

Can we  use whoever was feeding Charlie?
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #15: Mar 29, 2012 03:19:22 pm
      I know what you're saying but "disappointing season"? Really? I think you're dismissing our cup runs out of hand, which is ridiculous.

OK so we've done sh*t in the league but one cup in the bag and another on the horizon, I honestly wouldn't call it "disappointing".

Any season where we win stuff is successful in my opinion.

The league form will come, next season will be better than this one, then the season after will be better again etc. etc.

I agree with this. The leap from where we are now to challenging for the title is too great to make in just one season, but I am optimistic that we can close that gap next season with the right signings in the Summer.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #16: Mar 29, 2012 03:26:27 pm
      Depending on our activity in the transfer market if we spend 60 or 70million obviously better than we did last summer we maybe in a good position to compete for a top four place.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #17: Mar 29, 2012 03:33:03 pm
      I agree with this. The leap from where we are now to challenging for the title is too great to make in just one season, but I am optimistic that we can close that gap next season with the right signings in the Summer.

Sorry but which of the current top six teams DON'T you think will be in with a chance forthe title by making the right signings ion Summer?

Given that they WILL be making signings - what evidence is there that our signings are going to be better than theirs so that we can close the gap?

In other words WHAT exactly is your optimism based on?
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #18: Mar 29, 2012 03:59:21 pm
      Realistically, no. This team needs time, and a couple of world class players who can win games themselves, Stevie ain't getting any younger and Luis can't do it all himself. I don't believe we will get the players in who can help us win the league.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,622 posts | 1515 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #19: Mar 29, 2012 04:39:17 pm
      Fit, regular back four, Lucas, Suarez, tricky and pacey winger and a world class striker and we could challenge I think.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #20: Mar 29, 2012 04:40:12 pm
      Sorry but which of the current top six teams DON'T you think will be in with a chance forthe title by making the right signings ion Summer?

Given that they WILL be making signings - what evidence is there that our signings are going to be better than theirs so that we can close the gap?

In other words WHAT exactly is your optimism based on?

My optimism is based on LFC signing a striker who will be able to put away more of the chances that we create. I only said that I was optimistic of improvement. I didn't say it will happen.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,247 posts | 1226 
      Reply #21: Mar 29, 2012 05:17:23 pm
      Depends what you mean by "our year". If it means winning the league, then I think only the most happy clappy fans could consider that a realistic possibility given the challenges facing the side at present. Yes, we've won the League Cup which is a success in its own right, another trophy in the cabinet, a great experience for the team and the fans, but the better indicator of progress, the league, shows that we've gone backwards despite the millions spent on new players.  If the people playing up our chances of league title success next season took off the rose-tinted specs, they'd see that we currently sit 7th, 31 points behind Man U, and about 20-25 points from where they thought we would be at the start of the season.

That said, if something completely unforeseeable happens, like Man City go bankrupt, and we make the right signings, then we may have a chance. The reality, though, is that it is unheard of in recent history for a team to come from so far behind and win the the league the following season. It just doesn't happen. To establish the playing squad necessary to achieve such a feat and to then mould a team from it that is capable of consistently winning the games needed to win the league takes longer than a summer.
      The top four is as competitive as it's ever been, so I think people are kidding themselves if they think that in one summer we can build a team that usurps not just Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs (not to mention Newcastle), who all have better squads than us and will look to strengthen further this summer, but also Man U and Man City. I believe that at best we will make the top four without seriously challenging for the title and at worst we will still be outside the top four places. If we could make fourth next season displacing two of those sides I mentioned, then I think that would represent real progress. Whether we do or not and how far we can go depends to a large extent, as always, on who we sign in the summer. If we have another summer like the last one then we can forget it. If we sign a few more Suarezs and Enriques, then it's game on.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #22: Mar 29, 2012 05:19:37 pm
      Yes.

I think we are a lot closer to having a really good side than some realise. I think the obvious problem we have had of converting chances has skewed some peoples view of just how well we have played for most of the season. Yes our players have lost confidence lately, it is hard not to when you dominate so many games, create so many chances only to lose or draw because you are missing so many opportunities to score.

Get the right striker and most of our problems will be solved, not many other clubs have such a defined problem as we have...... hopefully it will be that much harder for other clubs to find solutions too.   

A top pacy clinical striker this season and I think we would have been comfortably in the top 4, and looking forward with great anticipation to next season, as it is we will have to settle for a cup (or two!) to ease our pain and hope the right striker is found in the summer.

I am confident that the players we need will be found, and I believe we have the right manager to mold us into a title winning team.   

Quick Reply