Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Will next year really be our year?

Read 11073 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: Will next year really be our year?
      Reply #69: Mar 30, 2012 10:48:28 am
      Any supporter who thinks we will win the title next season has their head in the clouds! We are at least 2 top players shy of qualifying for a champions league spot so to expect anything more then a top 4 finish next season is absurd. If we finish 4th or above next season the club will be making further progress but I expect it to be a challenge. Hopefully we will be more shrewd with our signings in the summer and add badly needed quality to the squad.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #70: Mar 30, 2012 11:04:52 am
      We dont seem to feel the need to press the weaker teams, reading Ronnie Whelans book at the moment, he said how important pressing teams and hard work was to successful Liverpool sides just cant see that in our current team to be honest. We seem to mark space rather than press.

As Sammy Lee once said 'Liverpool's best defender is Ian Rush'

Pressure the ball, don't give the opposition time to play. We do it against people like the Mancs because we figure they have the creative players to hurt us. We don't do it against the Wigans of this world because we think they should be more worried about us.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #71: Mar 30, 2012 11:53:33 am
      One striker won't be enough to challenge for the league title. Even if Torres had remained, does anyone seriously think we'd be champions with players like Downing, Henderson and Adam playing as often as they have and rarely/never scoring in the league?

Yes we need a world class striker, badly. But we also need a top class left winger, to replace the Stoke/Villa/Sunderland level player Downing. Plus we need a quality right winger to replace the ineffective Kuyt/Henderson.  Then if Gerrard gets injured again, like he probably will, who do we have in midfield to boss a game beside Lucas to maintain a challenge?

To challenge/win the title we'd need to sign 5 top players IMO. To get 3rd/4th we'll need three.

This is bang on.

Now factor in how many of our signings have been a success and that will give you the total number of players we need to sign this summer to end up with 3 or 4 that actually work out well for us.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #72: Mar 30, 2012 12:25:32 pm
      Has this season finished then?. If we win the FA Cup ask the tens of thousands of fans that went to two finals if they would swap their day out for wimpering into 4th place and doing F**k all else all season.
      We started the season of with 3 targets if we reach 2 then how is that not worthy of huge celebration.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #73: Mar 30, 2012 12:49:14 pm
      We should just forget about winning the league next season, cause that won't happen any time soon.

No team has ever won the league whilst finishing outside the top4 the previous season, and I can't see that changing.

We should concentrate on getting back into the top4.

I agree that we're not far off, but we need 2-3 players that will hit the ground running, make an impact from the word go. Easier said than done though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #74: Mar 30, 2012 12:54:30 pm
      No team has ever won the league whilst finishing outside the top4 the previous season, and I can't see that changing.

We did.

Most notably when we finished 7th in 65 (as well as winning the FA Cup) and went onto win the League in 66.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #75: Mar 30, 2012 01:02:48 pm
      I don't see us winning the league next season, but that should be our aim every season. Breaking into the top 4 places is going to be very difficult even. There are 6 or 7 strong teams around at the moment so 3 of them are going to be disapointed. When Chelsea and all their millions are struggling to finish 4th, that is when you know it is going to be difficult for us trying to operate properly.

I'm afraid we are currently paying the price for the previous 5 years of relying on reputation. Under Hicks and Gillette we stood still. In that time City, Totenham and Chelsea ran past us. Then you add in United and Arsenal then it becomes a big problem.

That is why I am so happy this season with a trophy. Even if we lose every game from now until the end of the season we will ahve been more succesful than most teams in the country this year.

We really do have to hope UEFA take FFP ruler seriously or we are going to be in for more disapointment in the league. My advice - enjoy the cup win, be happy we are in Europe next year and enjoy every game as it comes.

The league seems a world away, but we just need to win games and we wont be far off.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #76: Mar 30, 2012 01:08:37 pm
      We did.

Most notably when we finished 7th in 65 (as well as winning the FA Cup) and went onto win the League in 66.

You went way back in time now.

I should've stated in the "Premier League", but thanks for the heads up in any rate, mate.  ;)
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #77: Mar 30, 2012 01:46:18 pm
      All this 'next season will be our year' bollocks is wearing thin with me now and is making us out to be a laughing stock if I'm honest.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #78: Mar 30, 2012 01:48:34 pm
      While I doubt it will be, ye cant go from where we have been the last 2 seasons to win it, 2 or 3 of the right signings and we will be close enough
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #79: Mar 30, 2012 04:29:13 pm
      if we buy any more players then they need to have class and not with the possibility of being class in a year or two.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #80: Mar 30, 2012 05:34:13 pm
      Has this season finished then?. If we win the FA Cup ask the tens of thousands of fans that went to two finals if they would swap their day out for wimpering into 4th place and doing f**k all else all season.
      We started the season of with 3 targets if we reach 2 then how is that not worthy of huge celebration.

Ask the fans who went to Istanbul if they would give that up the CL spot from the year before for the carling cup.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #81: Mar 30, 2012 05:39:43 pm
      No we wn't win the league next season. You don't go from 5-7 in the league to 1st in one season. I think though we can make a lot of progress next season, cement our place in the top four and challenge for it the following year.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #82: Mar 30, 2012 07:00:22 pm
      No we wn't win the league next season. You don't go from 5-7 in the league to 1st in one season. I think though we can make a lot of progress next season, cement our place in the top four and challenge for it the following year.

I know the Sherpa Tensing theory mate, that you need a base camp before you can make the final assault on the top. I still believe we can win the league next season, just like I believe you don't have to always back the favourite to win on a horse race. I think we will need to get things almost perfect if we are to make such a dramatic step up, but I believe we can. For me it's all about whether we will not whether we can.

Obviously it is always easier if you are averaging around 75-80 points a season, you are then only looking for a way to turn a couple of defeats and draws into wins, but sometimes it is as simple as just getting on a roll and keep going, and that is what we will need next season and I see no reason why we can't.

No, we won't be favourites, but favourites don't always win, we have a top jockey in Kenny, good trainer in Clark, we just need a good striker to give us the finish we need and we can do it. A few fallers would help, so I am hoping Redknapp gets the England job, Van Persie goes to Spain and the drink finally catches up with Ferguson. 

Get an early lead and head for home and hopefully Kenny won't spare the whip to get us there. (My Redrum theory :) )       
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,692 posts | 7160 
      Reply #83: Mar 30, 2012 07:06:39 pm
      You went way back in time now.

I should've stated in the "Premier League", but thanks for the heads up in any rate, mate.  ;)
      Doesnt it count because its not premier league.Do you not count four European Cups because its not CL. Football did not start in 1992 by whixh time our club was 100 years old
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #84: Mar 30, 2012 07:28:34 pm

Get an early lead and head for home and hopefully Kenny won't spare the whip to get us there. (My Redrum theory :) )       

That theory is murder lad...  ;)
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2012 08:25:17 pm by Paisleydalglish »
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #85: Mar 30, 2012 07:39:54 pm
      No chance we can win the league next season imo. But we can get closer to the top defo
      Top 4 is now harder than it's ever been. So much more money needed to compete these day's.
      But getting back up there will be all the sweeter for it...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #86: Mar 30, 2012 07:51:24 pm
      I know the Sherpa Tensing theory mate, that you need a base camp before you can make the final assault on the top. I still believe we can win the league next season, just like I believe you don't have to always back the favourite to win on a horse race. I think we will need to get things almost perfect if we are to make such a dramatic step up, but I believe we can. For me it's all about whether we will not whether we can.

Obviously it is always easier if you are averaging around 75-80 points a season, you are then only looking for a way to turn a couple of defeats and draws into wins, but sometimes it is as simple as just getting on a roll and keep going, and that is what we will need next season and I see no reason why we can't.

No, we won't be favourites, but favourites don't always win, we have a top jockey in Kenny, good trainer in Clark, we just need a good striker to give us the finish we need and we can do it. A few fallers would help, so I am hoping Redknapp gets the England job, Van Persie goes to Spain and the drink finally catches up with Ferguson. 

Hey I'm not a favourite backer either mate. Even THIS season before our slump you could have made out a case for us being right up there had we been lucky. As it was, we weren't just "not particularly lucky" we were totally f*cking unlucky, and that saw us battling it out for fourth.

It's not impossible, and we definately have a bunch of players who will train on (to run with all the analogies which I laughed out loud at). We might have one or two who need gelding and may benefit from going over the jumps though, that's my worry ;0)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #87: Mar 30, 2012 08:17:35 pm
      Hey I'm not a favourite backer either mate. Even THIS season before our slump you could have made out a case for us being right up there had we been lucky. As it was, we weren't just "not particularly lucky" we were totally f*cking unlucky, and that saw us battling it out for fourth.

Totally agree mick,we could of so easily been at the top of the league.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #88: Mar 31, 2012 12:43:18 am
      In answer to the thread title, Of course it will, we go in to every season thinking we will win it, next season will be no different,

we obviously need two to three key signings in key positions and promote a handful of the kids from the academy, we will be more experienced mentally and wont have any outside influences preventing our progress,

there are many factors that could be so different from this season, will Harry be at Spuds? will Bale, Modric, VDV,, will Chavs still have Drogba, Judas,fat Frank and terry, will that wee Ginger kunt still suck fergies bell end, will Giggs still be paying for F***ing his sis-in law,  or will Rooney invest in homes for the elderly and put more in than necessary,

but F**k all them, i'm only concerned what we do,and hitting the post as many times as we have this season wont be one of them, i can see us challenging within the top three,because that's a more realistic position we could be in now, you can count in one hand the matches in which we were truly piss poor as opposed to the ones in which we should have taken all three points,

Them fuckers at sly keep mentioning 20 titles in regards to Scum, of course everything will go there way as per, and i'll bet ya now that City will lose a player to a red card when the title decider is played in a few weeks time, you heard it here first people, a red card for City !

anyhoo, who f***in cares, we got the toffes to chew in the semi, and we will be mint-ed reaching Wemberley for a third time in three months, and N-everton will be left with F**k all again, bah 'Humbug' as the say down Gladys st way.

In Kenny We Trust                             YNWA
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #89: Mar 31, 2012 07:11:17 am
      We did.

Don't you think the entire game has changed a slight tad in the last 45 YEARS FM
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #90: Mar 31, 2012 07:39:28 am
      Don't you think the entire game has changed a slight tad in the last 45 YEARS FM
      Of course the game has changed in many respects and there was no Bosman transfers 45 years ago,our club went through big changes when Twit and tw*t got their grubby hands on it.The laws of football will never go back to what they were in the 1960s but our club can certainly go back to the tradition that was associated with it all those years ago.It does not matters what changes, I along with so many REDS will never waver in our support of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #91: Mar 31, 2012 09:16:17 am
      Of course the game has changed in many respects and there was no Bosman transfers 45 years ago,our club went through big changes when Twit and T**t got their grubby hands on it.The laws of football will never go back to what they were in the 1960s but our club can certainly go back to the tradition that was associated with it all those years ago.It does not matters what changes, I along with so many REDS will never waver in our support of LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.
      Are you on drugs my friend??
      What sort of rant is this??
      Please read my post properly, I wasn't even refering to LFC I said and I repeat
      "THE ENTIRE GAME"  again FM

Quick Reply