Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Stat Attack!

Read 1797 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Stat Attack!
      Mar 24, 2012 10:44:38 pm
      After today's shambles and the difference of opinion across the forum on whose at fault i.e. whether its the players, the management or the training staff, I got to thinking on something DC said early days re: that they were using (as im sure most clubs do) a set of detailed stats on the players past before buying them. Now im sure those stats are ALOT more detailed than what I have pulled together below. However I started comparing "new" signings across the top 4 of the league and to see if they are performing better or worse than they were before being bought. Heres what I came up with.... Oh and I love stats so I just recon a new topic would be good for anyone who wants to add stats whenever on whatever/whomever!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can see I weighted assists and goals as the same contribution which we all know is not so but the overall picture of who is playing well and who is not is still evident.

Its no surprise after the season we have had that our lads, suarez excluded, are under performing badly! Whats interesting though is looking at Valencia and Young and how much they stepped up to the plate... Downing, Carroll and Henderson clearly haven't!

Plenty of other players and teams could have been thrown in there but I didnt have all night and if there is small discrepancies in the figures I apologise, have had a wopper headache since about 5 oclock this evening (I wonder why) and wasnt as easy to concentrate with!

Cheers!
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Re: Stat Attack!
      Reply #1: Mar 25, 2012 02:21:26 am
      They are really interesting. IMO i think Suarez has never really been on consistent form. Especially this season. They should be scared.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #2: Mar 25, 2012 02:59:08 am
      "Stats dont lie, only the people who make them do" is the favourite phrase of a former president of my home club.
      But anyway, loved your work, its actually really interesting to put a $ value to a players contribution, regardless of the tons of "buts" and "if´s" that come to mind".
      The only suggestion, is that you should put "mins played" instead of matches, it would be more accurate...Andys stats would not be as bad as they look (see...you can make stats say what you want :) )
      Bier
      Reply #3: Mar 25, 2012 05:54:34 am
      I don't think anyone needed to see those tables to come to the same conclusion you did, that Carroll, Downing and Henderson have not performed good enough. Carroll did actually worse than you're showing. You forgot cup games for him, even though I actually think cup and European games shouldn't be included for anyone in the first place because the opposition isn't comparable. And Adam has 10 assists. And some stats from other non LFC players are off too, Young for instance has only 25 games I think. Mostly though like Quico said I think it's useless to use the amount of games as a stat, surely the amount of minutes played is more important.

Best would be to do this at the end of the season so that everyone played against the same opposition, but if you look at just the league games so far of this season then here's how many minutes some of those players needed on average to produce a goal or assist:

Dzeko - 80 minutes
      Aguero - 82 minutes
      Young - 86 minutes
      Mata - 147 minutes
      Nasri - 154 minutes
      Suarez - 168 minutes
      Torres - 220 minutes
      Carroll - 380 minutes
      Downing - 1050 minutes
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Mar 25, 2012 11:30:50 am
      Ye I considered minutes instead of games, mainly because the above includes a few last minute send ons, your right its not very accurate but because the same rule applied to all I think the stats are fairly fair!
      Minutes were to difficult to do for the previous clubs as I couldnt find the information...

Some people are never happy eh? ;D
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: Apr 10, 2012 01:44:13 pm
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/10/the-question-steven-gerrard-liverpool

Interesting article...

Would imagine the fact that Agger and Lucas have been missing holds more weight that Gerrard playing but what I found interesting is the "under performance" of other 1st team players when Gerrard plays i.e. they pass to him before doing what they should be doing.

Definitely part of the issue we find ourselves in!
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #6: Apr 10, 2012 04:41:23 pm
      That said, the injury to Lucas Leiva who, remarkably, has still made more tackles than anybody else in the Liverpool squad this season despite having been injured since November, partly accounts for that fall-off and has clearly been a significant factor in Liverpool's stumble.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #7: Apr 10, 2012 04:44:55 pm
      That stat about Lucas is just amazing
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #8: Apr 10, 2012 05:13:50 pm
      Ye thats a shocker alright! But in Spearings defence (for want of a better word) he is only coming up on Lucas's minutes this season! Henderson and Adam are double it and still haven't reached him... regardless of position for Henderson he still should be there or there abouts! Adam has no excuse!

Quick Reply