Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Judgment in the Transfer Market

Read 12787 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Re: Judgment in the Transfer Market
      Reply #23: Apr 02, 2012 03:48:01 pm
      Do you think winning the league cup is enough to attract the best player?
       Even if we win both trophies it is the CL that the best player want, if we dont make it into the CL not only will we find it hard to attract the best we will find it hard to keep our best players

Reina has stayed since we weren't in the European Cup.
      Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher have stayed since we weren't in the European Cup.
      Kuyt, Gerrard, Spearing, Lucas, Maxi have stayed since we weren't in the European Cup.
      Suarez arrived when we weren't in the European Cup.

There's a starting XI of players who haven't left for Champions League football. Most of those 11 would be in most people's strongest starting XI for this season. So where exactly have we failed to keep our best players or struggled to attract players?

Oh because some whinging arse Spanish c**t wanted to leave for Chelsea? So F***ing what. Look what he's become, a F***ing bench warming has been most of the time. And what's he achieved? F**k all apart from seeing the Shankly Gates in blue. He went to win trophies, well he's won F**k all in the 12 months he's been at Chelsea. In those 12 months we have won a trophy.

If players wanna leave for Champions League football or if players don't wanna join because we're not in the Champions League then they are players I wouldn't want at Liverpool anyway. We're not a stepping stone for players. You don't play for the most successful team in England just to play in the Champions League, you play for Liverpool Football Club because it's the biggest honour any footballer can have.

But F**k it, the world is all doom and gloom because we're not in the Champions League. Might as well all hibernate until August then and start all over again. And if we're struggling by Christmas next year, let's slit our wrists again and wait for the following year because all that matters in today's game is Champions League football. Anything else is irrelevant.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #24: Apr 02, 2012 03:49:54 pm
      I have to agree with DLS when this point keeps coming up.A lot of people have a thing about 4th spot i would rather come 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th and win a domestic cup or maybe 2,I know a lot of people say champions league football will attract all the stars out there....But reality is money controls the game.And city are the prime example of that 300-400 million and did  not get past the group stage and knocked out of the europa league.And a struggling now when the pressure is on.I think Kenny will get it right this Summer and bring in the right players no matter were they are from or what league.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #25: Apr 02, 2012 03:50:38 pm
      C'mon lads and ladies let's hear your solution to the age-old, World-wide, question: "What is the "magic" formula for successful transfers?"

Well, for me it is quite simple:  "Buy players who fit the style of football you are aiming to play." 

This would have ruled Carrol and Adam out from the start as they do not fit with Kenny's pass and move philosophy.  Both are players who are suited to a more direct style of play and would fit in perfectly at a team like Stoke, Wolves, Blackburn, West Brom, etc. 

I think this is what has bit Kenny in the ass more than anything.  He bought these two players in particular thinking that we could play a pass and move style, but would also have the ability to play more direct if and when necessary.  However, the end product is that we look like a team without a real identity, and the old saying "jack of all trades - master of none" springs to mind when I think about our style of play this season. 
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #26: Apr 02, 2012 03:52:21 pm
      Yes I'd still have the same reasons as to why we were more successful in the transfer market in the past to what we are now. Mainly because it's true that we were more successful in the transfer market in the past to what we have been in the last 10-15 years. And my reasons, as stated above, are why we were more successful.
      What ???
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #27: Apr 02, 2012 03:56:23 pm
      Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher have stayed since we weren't in the European Cup.
      Kuyt, Gerrard, Spearing, Lucas, Maxi have stayed since we weren't in the European Cup.

There's a starting XI of players who haven't left for Champions League football. Most of those 11 would be in most people's strongest starting XI for this season. So where exactly have we failed to keep our best players or struggled to attract players?

Oh because some whinging arse Spanish c**t wanted to leave for Chelsea? So f**king what. Look what he's become, a f**king bench warming has been most of the time. And what's he achieved? F**k all apart from seeing the Shankly Gates in blue. He went to win trophies, well he's won f**k all in the 12 months he's been at Chelsea. In those 12 months we have won a trophy.

If players wanna leave for Champions League football or if players don't wanna join because we're not in the Champions League then they are players I wouldn't want at Liverpool anyway. We're not a stepping stone for players. You don't play for the most successful team in England just to play in the Champions League, you play for Liverpool Football Club because it's the biggest honour any footballer can have.

But f**k it, the world is all doom and gloom because we're not in the Champions League. Might as well all hibernate until August then and start all over again. And if we're struggling by Christmas next year, let's slit our wrists again and wait for the following year because all that matters in today's game is Champions League football. Anything else is irrelevant.

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you and i hate this "4th" place hoo ha, unfortunately football has changed a little and finishing in the top 4 is of paramount importance for the long term good of our great club.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #28: Apr 02, 2012 04:05:12 pm
      Very good post Scott
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #29: Apr 02, 2012 04:15:32 pm
      Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you and i hate this "4th" place hoo ha, unfortunately football has changed a little and finishing in the top 4 is of paramount importance for the long term good of our great club.

Well mate the best thing to happen to this club in a very long time happened when we weren't in the Champions League - Kenny Dalglish reappointed as manager of this club.

I'm not denying being in the Champions League is good for the club, both on and off the field. What I am is denying is that fourth is a measuring stick for this club. Winning trophies for me is a success, finishing fourth isn't. That's about as simple as I can put it.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #30: Apr 02, 2012 04:17:42 pm
      For me Suarez situation is the same as Torres situation. We did not bring in the quality that would match the Torres/Suarez Caliber. It is/was a two man team with Gerrard and Suarez/Torres. Torres had that knack of scoring goals. Somewhat suarez is missing right now.

Our Wing problem has not been solved from the last ten/fifteen years now. This is a big issue.

In summer we need to bring in atleast two top quality players.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      Reply #31: Apr 02, 2012 04:20:52 pm
      Well mate the best thing to happen to this club in a very long time happened when we weren't in the Champions League - Kenny Dalglish reappointed as manager of this club.

I'm not denying being in the Champions League is good for the club, both on and off the field. What I am is denying is that fourth is a measuring stick for this club. Winning trophies for me is a success, finishing fourth isn't. That's about as simple as I can put it.
      Agree there wholeheartedly. LFC exists for winning trophies but we need to be in the champions league, to be in that elite bracket. Thats where LFC belong. God knows how I miss those Anfield nights.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #32: Apr 02, 2012 04:25:12 pm
      We bought to bring the best out of Carroll when we should have being trying to buy players to bring the best out of Suarez. Had that debate with many posters on here last summer when i thought the policy was wrong.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #33: Apr 02, 2012 04:25:49 pm
      Every manager makes mistakes in the market.

Kenny signed the player I consider the worst I've seen play for the club.  He also signed one of the best ever players we've ever had. For those wondering, the players are Jimmy Carter & John Barnes. 

Kenny deserves the chance to set things right, much like I though Benitez did though Hodgson didn't, because of what he has done and what he means to the club.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #34: Apr 02, 2012 04:26:42 pm
      I love winning trophies and hate the 'top 4' hysteria.

But some people who tell us to see "the bigger picture" often ignore it when it suits their arguments.

What would most people prefer: steady (but trophy-less) progress in the league, getting into the UCL, making more money, attracting better players, and then finally win the league in, say, 5 years time, or 5 years of going downhill in the league, having some of our worst league campaign in decades, but winning the Carling Cup every year? I would definitely prefer the 1st option, even if it means winning "only" 1 trophy instead of 5. But those telling me to 'get some perspective' would prefer being the league cup heroes while sinking in mediocrity.

I'm obviously not saying we do have to pick between one option or the other. I just think that, as usual in nearly any conversation or debate, extremism is almost always very close to stupidity.
      onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #35: Apr 02, 2012 04:35:27 pm
      No I wouldn't.

No we've cared about the League Cup for years which is why we won four times in a row when we were at our best. It's since "some media mogul" came up with the notion that finishing fourth is an achievement that the League Cup has been sh*t on. It's since "some media mogul" decided that winning trophies is no longer a measurement of success but instead how many times you play in the Champions League is that the League Cup lost it's prestige. Well it didn't to me and I'm delighted we won it.

No we wouldn't. You might, but I wouldn't laugh at United for winning a major trophy. I laugh at Everton releasing a DVD over one Derby game when they won 3-0 but I wouldn't laugh at a club for winning trophies. I'd instead wish it was us picking up the trophy.

Place in Europe, domestic cup, day out at Wembley - pretty much about the same.

Well that shows why we differ. I would much rather see us parade a trophy around Anfield and the streets of Liverpool than celebrate coming an embarrassingly low fourth place. If Liverpool fans are now celebrating fourth then it shows how far we have fallen.

1. You didn't address the point, you wouldn't swap with Arsenal Spurs or Chelsea even though between them they're going for 3rd and 4th and getting into the FA Cup final? but instead be floundering in 8th and looking forward to the Europa League next season? Ludacris.

2. Fair enough, we won it 4 times in a row in the 80's, the same 80's when most of our players weren't born, there was no Sky, Premiership or Champions League stranglehold on the game. Romanticise the cup days out all you want, fact is their pay outs are minimal, they wreak havoc with fixtures and the squad - losing Lucas being the prime example.

3. Were you envious of Birmingham last year? ask around I'm sure you have plenty of mates supporting other top teams, ask them were they in anyway envious of us this season - or instead were they laughing at the fact we needed 3 penalty misses to close out a championship side? While we're at it define 'major trophy' there are only 4 maximum to compete for? so they can't all be major - unless the Charity Shield is a minor trophy to us now? maybe we can parade that round next season on an open top bus.

4. 'Place in Europe' isn't accurate, places in the Europa League and Champions League are vastly different! Champions League group stage payout is more to each team regardless of results than the winner of the EL gets. Plus there's the constant Thursday-Sunday fixtures leading to playing catch up and the 'games in hand' mentality

5. You want to see embarrassingly low? look where we are in the league now, correct me if I'm wrong but the ultimate aim here is to win a league title is it not? Everything else is a bonus. We will never attract the players to win it if we become a cup team, which essentially is what we're hoping to achieve this season, a reflection of the dire situation.

You mightn't like it but my opinions are unashamedly based around revenue - money makes the world go round, especially the world of professional football, the clubs needs to generate it to be successful, domestic cups and sh*te league positions don't do that. We need 4th place as a base to build a better team. Anyone thinking domestic cups are the launchpad required for league success is sadly mistaken
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #36: Apr 02, 2012 04:50:46 pm
      In an attempt to bring this back on topic:  ;D

It's tough one but i'll have a pop.

1/ Decide how you want to play, have a vision.

2/ Buy players to fit the vision you have for the side. If your given a bit if money to spend (as Kenny was this past summer) then spend it on players who fit. On the face of it the players seemed to fit what was required. We needed a left-back, in came Enrique, we needed a young developmental cenntre-half t back up the senior players, in came Coates. We needed a wide-man to lift a glaring weakness and provide better delivery into wide areas, in came Downing. We needed to strengthen the centre-mifield area, in came Adam and young Henderson.

So from that respect, Kenny & Commoli seem to have recognised where the squad needed strengthening BUT the lads who have come in haven't been able to deliver.

... And, as you know, there's the rub Scott. There really is no "magic" formula; no recipe for success.

Forget Kenny/Comolli/Liverpool and insert any manager/scout/team you want - they all do or try to do the same thing. None of them go out to buy a player that they know will fail - to suggest otherwise would be daft. Some may be better than others but none of them get it right every time.

For every Torres there's a Keane or a Morientes; for every Aurelio there's a Degen or a Dossena; for every Drogba there's a Shevchenko or a Wright-Phillips and for every Rooney there's a Veron or a Forlan... I could go on but you get my drift.

Spending big money on big names doesn't always work and therefore ain't the answer. Buying either 'British' or 'Foreign' doesn't bring any guarantee of success and therefore ain't the answer either. 

I'm going to state the obvious now... There's no "magic" formula... and 'we' all know it.

Debating the success, or failure, of signings is something different and can be done in player threads. So whilst it may be very popular to have a dig at transfer 'policy' and play to the gallery; stating the obvious "we need to do better" brings nothing of substance to the table in all reality.

Hands up who knows we need to do better. Now hands up who actually knows how to do it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,014 posts | 3352 
      Reply #37: Apr 02, 2012 05:04:26 pm
      1. You didn't address the point, you wouldn't swap with Arsenal Spurs or Chelsea even though between them they're going for 3rd and 4th and getting into the FA Cup final? but instead be floundering in 8th and looking forward to the Europa League next season? Ludacris.

Arsenal aren't fighting it out to be in the FA Cup final but never mind that, I still wouldn't swap where we are for them because I do not see coming fourth as a success. I don't see eighth as a success either surprisingly enough. I do, however, see winning a trophy as success.

2. Fair enough, we won it 4 times in a row in the 80's, the same 80's when most of our players weren't born, there was no Sky, Premiership or Champions League stranglehold on the game. Romanticise the cup days out all you want, fact is their pay outs are minimal, they wreak havoc with fixtures and the squad - losing Lucas being the prime example.

Well alright then we'll talk since there was a Champions League and since there was a Premiership. The League Cup is the trophy we have won most during that era - four times in 95, 01, 03 and 2012. So whether you want to dismiss it or not, we've always cared about the League Cup. As for playing havoc with fixtures and the squad, that will happen just as much in Europe as it will in domestic trophies. Injuries don't stop just because you're in Europe.

3. Were you envious of Birmingham last year? ask around I'm sure you have plenty of mates supporting other top teams, ask them were they in anyway envious of us this season - or instead were they laughing at the fact we needed 3 penalty misses to close out a championship side? While we're at it define 'major trophy' there are only 4 maximum to compete for? so they can't all be major - unless the Charity Shield is a minor trophy to us now? maybe we can parade that round next season on an open top bus.

Yes I was envious of seeing Birmingham lift a trophy, especially given that we went out to Northampton. And me mates don't support other teams, it's a straight choice between Liverpool or Everton. And I know a lot of Everton fans taking the piss out of me when Cardiff were winning, I know a lot of Everton fans who were taking the piss out of me when Cardiff equalised in the dying minutes of extra time, I know a lot of Everton fans who were taking the piss out of me when Gerrard and Adam missed their spot kicks. I also know a lot of Everton fans who I didn't hear a murmur off once Stevie walked those steps and lifted the League Cup for our record breaking eighth time.

As for a major trophy - League, FA Cup, League Cup, European Cup. They to me are the four major cups, not sure how that's hard to understand but obviously was for you.

4. 'Place in Europe' isn't accurate, places in the Europa League and Champions League are vastly different! Champions League group stage payout is more to each team regardless of results than the winner of the EL gets. Plus there's the constant Thursday-Sunday fixtures leading to playing catch up and the 'games in hand' mentality

And you get into the Champions League by winning the FA Cup now do you? You said the FA Cup had more value, I simply stated you get the same for winning the FA Cup as you do the Carling Cup. You've now brought up Champions League into this part of the debate for reasons I can't fathom. And the Thursday-Sunday is no different to Wednesday-Saturday. Even though we end up playing on a Sunday a fair bit even when we're not in the Champions League anyway due to our global appeal, companies want to show us live as much as possible.

5. You want to see embarrassingly low? look where we are in the league now, correct me if I'm wrong but the ultimate aim here is to win a league title is it not? Everything else is a bonus. We will never attract the players to win it if we become a cup team, which essentially is what we're hoping to achieve this season, a reflection of the dire situation.

Yes our League position is embarrissingly low. Then again so is second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh. And yes the ultimate aim is to win the League title. But to do that you need to have the winning mentality that winning trophies breeds. 20 years ago Man United won the League Cup, 19 years ago Man United won their first League Title in over a quarter of a century. FA Cup in 90, League Cup in 92, League title in 93. Arsenal won the League Cup in 87 (against us funnily enough) and won the League in 89 for the first time since their double winning side in 71 (where they also beat us in the FA Cup final). Chelsea won the League Cup in 2005 (against us) and went on to win the League that year - their first title in half a century.

Winning trophies breeds success, it gives you the knowledge that you can win and handle the pressure.

You mightn't like it but my opinions are unashamedly based around revenue - money makes the world go round, especially the world of professional football, the clubs needs to generate it to be successful, domestic cups and sh*te league positions don't do that. We need 4th place as a base to build a better team. Anyone thinking domestic cups are the launchpad required for league success is sadly mistaken

No I don't like it, you're right because to me you're supporting a business model and not a football club. If it's all down to money, which is all I ever hear, maybe you can explain why a side like Norwich are not rock bottom of the League. Maybe you can explain why Everton are currently above us. Maybe you can explain why Man City are not top of the table.

Money is all good and well but if you spend it poorly then it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, on the other hand if you spend the little money you have quite wisely then it can be a god send. That is regardless of whether or not you're in the top four.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #38: Apr 02, 2012 05:23:52 pm
      So you wouldn't swap our position now for Spurs Arsenal or Chelsea's? We cared not a jot about the Carling Cup til some media mogul came up with the 'silverware' generalisation, if the Mancs were going on about the stupid league cup like we are we'd be laughing at them. FA Cup holds more value but without doubt I'd instantly sacrifice both for 4th spot

I'm sorry but that is absolute bollocks mate.

The only people who don't seem to care about the League Cup are modem day, want it all now, 4th place only matters, f**kwits who haven't a clue about our history in that very same competition.

I don't care who laughs or who doesn't but we want to win every trophy available to us and I've said this before but if we finish fourth every year and win f**k all there will be very few people going to Anfield to visit the museum to see a print out of our 'successful' league campaigns.

onecoolcookie
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | 10 
      • YNWA JFT96
      Reply #39: Apr 02, 2012 05:58:10 pm
      Arsenal aren't fighting it out to be in the FA Cup final but never mind that, I still wouldn't swap where we are for them because I do not see coming fourth as a success. I don't see eighth as a success either surprisingly enough. I do, however, see winning a trophy as success.

Well alright then we'll talk since there was a Champions League and since there was a Premiership. The League Cup is the trophy we have won most during that era - four times in 95, 01, 03 and 2012. So whether you want to dismiss it or not, we've always cared about the League Cup. As for playing havoc with fixtures and the squad, that will happen just as much in Europe as it will in domestic trophies. Injuries don't stop just because you're in Europe.

Yes I was envious of seeing Birmingham lift a trophy, especially given that we went out to Northampton. And me mates don't support other teams, it's a straight choice between Liverpool or Everton. And I know a lot of Everton fans taking the piss out of me when Cardiff were winning, I know a lot of Everton fans who were taking the piss out of me when Cardiff equalised in the dying minutes of extra time, I know a lot of Everton fans who were taking the piss out of me when Gerrard and Adam missed their spot kicks. I also know a lot of Everton fans who I didn't hear a murmur off once Stevie walked those steps and lifted the League Cup for our record breaking eighth time.

As for a major trophy - League, FA Cup, League Cup, European Cup. They to me are the four major cups, not sure how that's hard to understand but obviously was for you.

And you get into the Champions League by winning the FA Cup now do you? You said the FA Cup had more value, I simply stated you get the same for winning the FA Cup as you do the Carling Cup. You've now brought up Champions League into this part of the debate for reasons I can't fathom. And the Thursday-Sunday is no different to Wednesday-Saturday. Even though we end up playing on a Sunday a fair bit even when we're not in the Champions League anyway due to our global appeal, companies want to show us live as much as possible.

Yes our League position is embarrissingly low. Then again so is second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh. And yes the ultimate aim is to win the League title. But to do that you need to have the winning mentality that winning trophies breeds. 20 years ago Man United won the League Cup, 19 years ago Man United won their first League Title in over a quarter of a century. FA Cup in 90, League Cup in 92, League title in 93. Arsenal won the League Cup in 87 (against us funnily enough) and won the League in 89 for the first time since their double winning side in 71 (where they also beat us in the FA Cup final). Chelsea won the League Cup in 2005 (against us) and went on to win the League that year - their first title in half a century.

Winning trophies breeds success, it gives you the knowledge that you can win and handle the pressure.

No I don't like it, you're right because to me you're supporting a business model and not a football club. If it's all down to money, which is all I ever hear, maybe you can explain why a side like Norwich are not rock bottom of the League. Maybe you can explain why Everton are currently above us. Maybe you can explain why Man City are not top of the table.

Money is all good and well but if you spend it poorly then it doesn't make a blind bit of difference, on the other hand if you spend the little money you have quite wisely then it can be a god send. That is regardless of whether or not you're in the top four.

1. I said 'between them' referring to the 3 clubs. If you're going to be so facetious don't address the point at all

2. Playing Champions league doesn't alter domestic fixtures, Europa League does. Injuries I referred to are more likely the more games played, so we lose one of our best players playing a domestic cup game I doubt he'd have been involved in had had a champions league tie to look forward to. "And you get into the Champions League by winning the FA Cup now do you?" didn't say that

3. "Yes our League position is embarrissingly low. Then again so is second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh" be realistic, if we were in the top four there would be a totally different atmosphere in and about the club

4. I don't for one second believe, (or buy that you believe) that a domestic trophy is a launchpad for a league title attempt.

5. Man City are not top at this exact moment but they're challenging for the league - why? money. Sides like Norwich? Norwich have one of the best managers in the country, they highlight how far we've drifted they're 3 points off us. Everton are above us because we've been F***ing horrendous this year. it IS all money

I'm not replying anymore because as it's been pointed out this is well off topic and will descend into farce. I understand your view but to me it's much removed from the sad reality of life as a football fan. The game is different now than it was 30, 20 or even 10years ago. The golden goose is champions league. Gain from domestic success was always pride based. always. What does pride come before?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #40: Apr 03, 2012 01:29:41 am
      Our judgement has been an embarrassment.
      Newcastle has showed us up in the transfer department.

Rafa's mud on the wall and some will stick policy  .....oooh Fernando Morientes is good.   Wimp.
      How many players were turned over by him in transfers ...up in the 70s ?

Comolli is French.
      There are some good players coming out of France at the moment.
      A bit of the own backyard wouldn't have gone amiss and a few million saved.

Shall we start again ?
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #41: Apr 03, 2012 01:49:21 am
      'If Liverpool finish sixth, it will equal or better the best ever Premier League finishing position for Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam, José Enrique, Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson – a sizeable chunk of the Liverpool squad. While this does not necessarily prove anything, it does temper somewhat the notion that Liverpool are under-performing. There is an argument that hovering in seventh or eighth position is exactly where Liverpool should be, given the make-up of their squad,
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #42: Apr 03, 2012 01:58:45 am
      Our judgement has been an embarrassment.
      Newcastle has showed us up in the transfer department.

Rafa's mud on the wall and some will stick policy  .....oooh Fernando Morientes is good.   Wimp.
      How many players were turned over by him in transfers ...up in the 70s ?

Comolli is French.
      There are some good players coming out of France at the moment.
      A bit of the own backyard wouldn't have gone amiss and a few million saved.

Shall we start again ?

This isn't having a go but Rafa assembled an amazing first team in his time here given his funds and adapting to a new league an all. By funds I mean wages too. If Rafa had the money he would have had a fantastic second string too. He like everybody else, bar about 6 teams in world football, had to take chances.

Now onto Kenny. He has to take chances too. Our defensive signings have been good because defenders cost less and we spent some good money. Maybe Clarke ran the ruler over them too. However our forward signings have been hit and miss. If rafa spent over 15 mill it was for a gem (maybe Aquilani could be debated). Now our policy has obviously turned to english based players who cost more but are less quality for price, in my opinion, than from spain or wherever. Supposedly Commollis network is sourcing these players with McParland et al. I can't remember when Commolli came in but why are we scouting English based players from the EPL .. we see them every week. He has got a great job if this is the case. We need more Maxi's, Kuyt's, Suarez's, Lucas's and maybe a decent winger. Downing is not a decent winger. Project 'knock it into the box' is not the way forward. We need to establish our identity as a pass and move, clever team. Probably the kind of football that Rudolfo Borrell is asking the reserves to play. I think we were seen as a team that struggled at places like Stoke so we tried to remedy this by fighting fire with fire. YOU CANNOT beat stoke at their own game and WHO WOULD WANT TO. We need to become a clever passing team. This is the way forward.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #43: Apr 03, 2012 08:46:34 am

Oh because some whinging arse Spanish c**t wanted to leave for Chelsea? So f**king what. Look what he's become, a f**king bench warming has been most of the time. And what's he achieved? F**k all apart from seeing the Shankly Gates in blue. He went to win trophies, well he's won f**k all in the 12 months he's been at Chelsea. In those 12 months we have won a trophy.

But f**k it, the world is all doom and gloom because we're not in the Champions League. Might as well all hibernate until August then and start all over again. And if we're struggling by Christmas next year, let's slit our wrists again and wait for the following year because all that matters in today's game is Champions League football. Anything else is irrelevant.
      If you don't think we will struggle to keep our best players if we cant make it into the CL you are living in cloud cuckoo land, if we had not won the CL in 2005 I expect Gerrard would of left. lets be honest we only have two world class players, not 11, how many of the players you mentioned would get in the Man u, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs teams

I want ambitious players who want to win everything, I agree that players should show some pride in the shirt they wear, but this, we don't want any players who want to play in the CL is childish, we want the best and the best should demand CL football every year

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012 09:03:35 am by Eddieo »
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #44: Apr 03, 2012 10:24:38 am
      If you don't think we will struggle to keep our best players if we cant make it into the CL you are living in cloud cuckoo land, if we had not won the CL in 2005 I expect Gerrard would of left. lets be honest we only have two world class players, not 11, how many of the players you mentioned would get in the Man u, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs teams

I want ambitious players who want to win everything, I agree that players should show some pride in the shirt they wear, but this, we don't want any players who want to play in the CL is childish, we want the best and the best should demand CL football every year

I guessing the two world class players you are talking about are Suarez and Gerrard. How about Enrique, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas. They would fit in any of those teams.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #45: Apr 03, 2012 04:41:48 pm
      We bought to bring the best out of Carroll when we should have being trying to buy players to bring the best out of Suarez. Had that debate with many posters on here last summer when i thought the policy was wrong.

I don't know that that is entirely true mate. Certainly Downing seems to have been brought for that reason but we needed an upgrade on the left either way so it's quite possible he would have come in regardless of Carroll being in the side. As for the other lads i'm not so sure. Enrique, Bellamy and Coates had nothing to do with trying to play to Carroll's strengths. I suppose you could argue that Kenny looked at Adam's set-piece delivery last season and thought to marry that up to the big man's prowess in the air perhaps but that's about it. As for Henderson, I'm not sure that he was bought to tailor purely to Carroll's strengths either.

Quick Reply