Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Next Season

Read 4855 times
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 168 posts |
      Next Season
      Apr 02, 2012 10:44:53 pm
      If we got 4th woud it now be a bigger achievement than if we do the cup double this season?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Next Season
      Reply #1: Apr 02, 2012 10:47:11 pm
      Meh.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #2: Apr 02, 2012 10:47:22 pm
      No. 2 Trophies > 4th place. Hell, 1 Trophy > 4th place.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #3: Apr 02, 2012 10:51:13 pm
      Next season i would be very delighted with a Cup be it the FA or Carling Cup or even both, a strong European campaign to break us in for the following season in Europe & most important of all a real shot at the Title.

I would be made up with that.

Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #4: Apr 02, 2012 11:06:24 pm
      To get 4th from where we are now would be almost impossible. But to win the FA Cup we have to win just 2 games.So from here, finishing 4th would be a bigger achievement, but in the context of the season, an FA Cup win is more important than 4th.

In 10 years time I'll look back and smile at the cup double of 11/12, but I won't look back at a 4th place finish.

It does feel like minus the FA Cup, we're all waiting for next season already so we can start fresh. Only real thing to look out for in the league now is a high as possible finish, and hopefully not finishing below Everton. However if we get a cup double, plus having doubled them in the league, I think the bitters will have to keep their mouths shut about a higher league finish.

StevieG80
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 02, 2012 11:11:21 pm
      Id rather win the league full stop.

Seriously tho the league cup is at least something but if we drop further than what we are now and go out of the FA Cup then I'm sorry that is not good enough. The league cup aint gonna be a selling point to any decent proven players who could go elsewhere with CL football.

Treating the league cup as success makes me feel all Middlesbroughish, urgh.....
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Apr 02, 2012 11:12:27 pm
      I want a genuine title challenge next season, anything else we win is a bonus, but the league title has to be our number one aim every season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Apr 02, 2012 11:13:27 pm
      I'd always take a cup or two over 4th place any day but I am not suggesting we forget about 4th place every season just to win cups.

As long as it's in our capacity to achieve something we can, we go for it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Apr 02, 2012 11:19:57 pm
      I would be happy just winning the league, the FA cup, the CC and the Euro league, not to bothered about the charity shield tho  ;D
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #9: Apr 02, 2012 11:25:16 pm
      To be honest i'd just settle for some consistency and nice attacking football. Let's make Anfield a fortress, concentrate on smashing the small teams and anything else is a bonus.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10: Apr 02, 2012 11:27:09 pm
      I would be happy just winning the league, the FA cup, the CC and the Euro league, not to bothered about the charity shield tho  ;D

That's always been your problem mate........ too easily satisfied. :)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #11: Apr 02, 2012 11:41:45 pm
      We've finished in the top four of the FA Cup.

This obsession with '4th' is getting beyond a piss take now.

We enter every competition trying to win it.  I've never heard any Liverpool fan suggest they would be happy with losing a semi final, so why do some feel the need to suggest 4th place in another competition as a pinnacle?

The silver lining of not finishing in the top four this year is that hopefully some of the bad bellends amongst our support we have picked up since Istanbul slowly start drifting off, and can take their jester hats with them to Man City or Spurs.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #12: Apr 02, 2012 11:44:31 pm

We enter every competition trying to win it.  I've never heard any Liverpool fan suggest they would be happy with losing a semi final, so why do some feel the need to suggest 4th place in another competition as a pinnacle?

The silver lining of not finishing in the top four this year is that hopefully some of the bad bellends amongst our support we have picked up since Istanbul slowly start drifting off, and can take their jester hats with them to Man City or Spurs.
      And very well said JD.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #13: Apr 03, 2012 01:26:22 am
      Who are the leaders on the pitch? Since Carra's gone who leads. Stevie used to with performances. Bellamy is competitive. People like Maxi lead by showing football intelligence i.e. they have an overall plan whereas a lot of the players seem to be reactive. I really believe we need some strong leadership on the pitch. Guys like Alonso and Masch don't doubt there ability and they are playing to win. We miss this important ingredient I think.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #14: Apr 03, 2012 01:27:12 am
      But not an up themselves w**ker mind.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #15: Apr 03, 2012 01:58:52 am
      Who are the leaders on the pitch? Since Carra's gone who leads. Stevie used to with performances. Bellamy is competitive. People like Maxi lead by showing football intelligence i.e. they have an overall plan whereas a lot of the players seem to be reactive. I really believe we need some strong leadership on the pitch. Guys like Alonso and Masch don't doubt there ability and they are playing to win. We miss this important ingredient I think.

Agger. He should be future captain.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #16: Apr 03, 2012 02:16:06 am
      Agger. He should be future captain.

Definitely
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Apr 03, 2012 02:25:04 am
      WIN the EPL, also the Europa League.  :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #18: Apr 03, 2012 03:40:12 am
      I think winning the league cup this year and doing well in the FA cup so far is a very good start in the new Kenny era. Espically as we were in a bad situation one and a half years ago. But i think next year Champions league is a must and the cups will be bonuses.
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #19: Apr 03, 2012 03:45:10 am
      Im superstitious that the more we talk about two cup victories as though its in the bag its more likely something will go wrong.

Also if Chelsea win the Champions League (not that I think they will) and finish outside the top four, finishing 4th will amount to f*** all as it wont be enough to qualify for next year's competition.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #20: Apr 03, 2012 03:49:24 am
      Im superstitious that the more we talk about two cup victories as though its in the bag its more likely something will go wrong.

Also if Chelsea win the Champions League (not that I think they will) and finish outside the top four, finishing 4th will amount to f*** all as it wont be enough to qualify for next year's competition.
      I think the team is pretty focused on the cups and Kenny will know if someone thinks otherwise.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #21: Apr 03, 2012 04:12:12 am

Finishing in the top 4 of the FA cup doesn't get you into the CL though and doesn't allow us to attract the kind of players needed to put in a title challenge. 
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #22: Apr 03, 2012 04:45:14 am
      I just went to the Rafa Benitez website. F*ck me I wish he came back next year and worked with Kenny to destroy the opposition al la the Bootroom philosophy. Whoever gets him next is on a winner.

Quick Reply