Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Management consistency.

Read 790 times
      Paisleydalglish
      Management consistency.
      Apr 06, 2012 05:03:18 pm
      Ive been thinking the last few days regarding clubs and managers and their decisions to stick with a manager or sack as and when they feel that they are on a poor run.

What we have a fans as a relastic expectation and when is a fair amount of time to question a manager at a club and also examples of clubs down the years that stick with their gaffers or sack them and what effect that has on the club.

I genuinely want this to be an open discussion so any of the clubs i mention or any i dont that you feel should be thrown in the pot go ahead..

Just out of interest we have had as a club 18 Managers across what is 120 years, that has historically been 6.6 years per manager (give or take, and we actually had no manager between 1915 and 1919, the team was picked by the board at that point).

People know my thoughts, i feel its far to early to be even thinking of sacking Kenny after such a short time here, he should be given the amount of time his contract has unless of a disaster, which this season has been frustrating but no disaster.. But thats not my point i wanted to think along other clubs, we and rightly so in my opinion take the piss out of Chelsea for constantly sacking manager after manager and in the circumstances they do it.. Since Abramovich has been at the club he has gone through 9 managers (7 full time, 2 caretakers) in search or the Champions league, Jose Mourinho was sacked due to personality clashes and since then he goes his mate Avram Grant, World cup winner Phil Scolari, his mate Gus Hiddink, Champions league winner Carlo Anchelotti, hot thing at the time Andre Vilas Boas.. But sacks them all because they fail to win it within a short amount of time, the sacking of Anchelotti a double winner at the club was daft.. Surely in hindsite and backing he would have been better sticking with Mourinho even if he thought he was a tit he would have probably won him the Champions league by now? Going on his record since with Inter and his progress with Real in the competition.

Spurs.. Have had 7 caretakers in the last 18 years and in the same time Cristian Gross (1 year) Glenn Hoddle (2 years) Jaques Santini (1 year) Sergio Ramos (1 year) have all been bulleted before even having chance to start to build on what plans they must have laid down in their interviews.. Only now having given Harry Redknapp 4 years are they starting to get in the Champions league..

Arsenal on the other hand have qualified for the Champions league (the holy grail for most) every year since Wenger's first full season... A testament to consistancy..

Man Utd.. Fergie was nearly sacked before Mark Robins supposedly saved his job back in 1990 with a goal in the FA cup (tosser) He was reportedly that game from the sack.. But look at what he has built since..

Go a bit further down, Charlton, their "fans" called for Alan Curbishley's head as he had "taken them as far as he could" and they needed a change in manager to realise their true potential..... They did, 6 managers later and 6 years later they are in league one..

Wigan.. Could any manager do a better job than Roberto Martinez? Sack him and i personally dont see them staying up, he has them playing football which is a rareity down at that end of the table, he sticks to his principles and they survive.

Wolves.. Their fans got what they wanted with Mick McCarthey getting the sack... Well done.. He had them potentially overacheiving and now Terry Connor is taking them down..

Us... We sack Rafa (wrongly in my view) and get Woy... He plays the worst football i have ever seen at this club, took Liverpool to his level rather than him coming to ours.. Watch what you wish for... Kenny deserves time to develop his plan, to take us where he is trying to take us otherwise we become no better than the others.. Everytime we have a poor run we will get used to shouting for the managers head and then we wont be what we are renowed for being..

The average time for a manager in his job nowadays is under 2 years... How many clubs do you see sucessful with that policy?

Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Re: Management consistency.
      Reply #1: Apr 06, 2012 09:43:56 pm
      Great post and great read, and agreed that Kenny not only needs more time, but damn well deserves it too.

Quick Reply