Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Liverpool 1-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match Discussions

Read 31830 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match Discussions
      Reply #667: Apr 08, 2012 12:59:29 pm
      We lack quite a lot of confidence at the moment, once we win a few games we'll look like a different team. Not that insightful a post, just thought I'd state a pretty obvious fact.

Pretty much is it. I was away at a wedding yesterday (was well and truly pissed by 3.30pm!) so I'll watch the game on LFCtv at 6pm. Wasn't surprised to see us go a goal down and once that had happened i was actually pretty chuffed to get a draw and put a stop to the run of defeats. It's all about trying to resurrect a bit confidence ahead of Wembley and then IF we can win the semi you'd like to think that the competition for places in the final can see us on a decent run to finish the season.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #668: Apr 08, 2012 01:40:39 pm
      I think we hit it four times ..

Kuyt's shot after it was saved by Given.
      Suarez' header.
      Bellamy's volley.
      Agger's header but that was put into the net by Luis.

We need to start making peace with the goal posts starting with our next game.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #669: Apr 08, 2012 01:50:57 pm
      , we are looking for a goal and kenny brings on a defender, he obviously doesnt trust maxi.
      I think it was more a case of giving Danny a stretch of his legs ahead of next week ,if he is fit he will surely play .
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #670: Apr 08, 2012 02:05:47 pm
      I think it was more a case of giving Danny a stretch of his legs ahead of next week ,if he is fit he will surely play .

I would expect Danny to come on as a sub against Blackburn on Tuesday and then start the semi-final on Saturday.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #671: Apr 08, 2012 02:17:07 pm
      I would expect Danny to come on as a sub against Blackburn on Tuesday and then start the semi-final on Saturday.
      For sure ,just hope he comes through it, we  have missed him badly ,its a big iff but i would love to get a full season out of him ,a class defender who can actually play .
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #672: Apr 08, 2012 02:54:58 pm
      I want Dagger to be injury free forever!!!
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #673: Apr 08, 2012 03:13:46 pm
      I as always was at the game have to say the 1st half was truly awful. So was half of the 2nd frankly.
      Kenny started with a team & a formation for me that was never gonna win the game.

The side that ended the game should start against Blackburn except Carra who is sadly past it.
      Stevie was far more influential when he played on the right he should start there more often for me.

Our biggest problem is we just don't work hard enough to win the f***in ball back,we lose it & it stays
      lost until it goes out of play or there's a foul we never hunt it down, tackle & win it back. Also we cant
      seem to pick up the 2nd ball ever.

This is our biggest problem for me our players are not hungry enough, to see Andy Carroll laughing & joking
      on the bench said it all to me. Too many of them think they have made it already cos they've signed for us.

kenny's biggest failure is not buying players who are not up to it its not putting his foot up there arse enough.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #674: Apr 08, 2012 03:39:56 pm
      Only saw the highlights on motd so difficult to be realistic. What I saw showed a better attitude and we did get in some decent scoring oportunities. The lad who scored for villa should never have had so much space to move into outside our box. Think Hendo lost him, but can't be sure. A point from a game we certainly deserved to win is a bit of a dissapointment but a slight improvment. Rather than a top 4 team, we have become a mid table team who occasionally paly above expectations yet everyone seems to think we should win every game. I always hope we will but have become a bit more reslistic of late, so all things considered, in my opinion a draw from a deserved win, with possibly a draw against Blackburn Tuesday, then raise the game against the bitters next week to win the semi. What ever you might expect or hope for, we just don't have the players to deliver, and probably don't have the draw to get any top players in either. We are what we are, but we can still dream.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #675: Apr 08, 2012 11:53:09 pm
      Well it's a slight inprovement I guess! I think Kenny was brave to start Shelvey over Spearing as he has been playing really well recently, good to see Kuyt starting too that always makes me smile as you never know what will happen ;) but alas even with all of the possession we had (especially in the second half) we still struggled to put game to bed.  Our goal was pretty well taken considering the way we have been playing, captain fantastic serves up another decent cross! I think we really need to shake up the midfield though, would be good to see more of Maxi TBH, keep the players on their toes like.

Shelvey is definitely showing signs of a future star and I just hope we can harness his talent, I can see him and Spearing tearing up the league as part of the new generation of LFC players, it's just great to see the start of what will be a bright and promising future, we all know this is a great club and will always attract great players who in turn will be the heroes of tomorrow, if the rest of our young players are anything like Spearo, Shelvey and Flanno then I can't wait to see what the rest of them are like!

Anyway back on topic

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #676: Apr 09, 2012 01:19:54 am
      It might have been addressed before but I haven't read any posts i here yet.

I went to the 1st page of this Match thread and clicked on "skip to full time" and it came up with Whyohwhys Profile page  ???

Anyway, just came in to say...story of our season again....we batter teams all over the pitch except on the Scorebaord and it F***ing sux and is getting demoralizing!

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #677: Apr 09, 2012 01:25:44 am
      Tell me about it, AR.

I know that we've got our fair share of "bad" performances this season but majority of our games this season, we've actually done enough to win the game.

If i'm not mistaken, I think Villa scored from their only shot on target yesterday while we had an open goal miss, a header off the post and Given playing like Casillas.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #678: Apr 09, 2012 01:26:25 am
      It was a strange substitution, i stand by that, that he got a flick on for the goal doesnt really change my opinion about that, was agger brought on because of his threat from set pieces.

Agger played a part in the goal, so it worked in a sense, doesnt mean it wasnt strange, we are looking for a goal and kenny brings on a defender, he obviously doesnt trust maxi.
      Think that's bollocks mate. We had Hendo, Jonjo, Stevie, Bellers, Luis & Andy on the field who can all score goals, heck even Skrtel. Bringing Enrique off for Maxi wouldn't have made sense, that leaves us with two centre backs and a right back. Imagine if Villa somehow countered we'd have been too exposed as other than those three defenders, who else would've really got stuck in and rushed back to win the ball like Lucas or Spearo would. I think it was you and forgive me if I'm wrong but a while back you posted that Kenny was "tactically inept" bringing Enrique off for Maxi would have showed signs of that, not introducing Dagger for Enrique. Anyway, I'm sure he brought Danny on for him to get match fit, and he'll probably do the same against Blackburn then start against the bitters at Wembley.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #679: Apr 09, 2012 01:29:08 am
      It was a strange substitution, i stand by that, that he got a flick on for the goal doesnt really change my opinion about that, was agger brought on because of his threat from set pieces.

Agger played a part in the goal, so it worked in a sense, doesnt mean it wasnt strange, we are looking for a goal and kenny brings on a defender, he obviously doesnt trust maxi.

Only got to watch the game this evening and i don't why it wa sa strange substitution? I thought it made some sense given that a/ Agger will be needed for the cup semi so it was important to get him some minutes and b/ he could slot in at left-back fairly comfortably for Enrique and have a positive effect in terms of goal threat at set-pieces (along with Carroll) and that is exactly what happened.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #680: Apr 09, 2012 01:42:29 am
      Seen the full game now and you could see how low the players are on confidence right now. Biggest challenge facing Kenny is getting the players to play with the freedom and urgency they showed in the final 15 minutes for the rest of the season. I was fairly happy with the line-up although I would have opted for Spearing over Henderson. I read a post earlier that suggested that we "battered them" but can't say I saw that. We huffed and puffed but until the late stages were pretty easy to defend against. Watching the game (and several others at Anfield this season) it does seem to me that teams force us to funnel the ball out wide and dare us to hurt them from there. I don't think teams are particularly scared of the likes of Downing, Kuyt or Flanno/Enrique (on the overlap) and so long as they keep Suarez under wraps it's pretty one dimensional from our lads at the moment. The lads looked at their most dangerous yesterday on the few occasions where Shelvey was able to get the ball into Gerrard in central areas (although the final ball never quite worked from there). I thought the two lads in the middle grew into the game as it went on but neither Shelvey or Henderson rearly did enough damage or got the ball into Suarez for me, more often than not they were playing simple passes out to the full-back or the wide players. However, have to say that Shelvey did a nice job of switching play on a few occasions and he looks like he could be a player. Gerrard played most of the 2nd half at Right mid and have to say his delivery at times was incredible. Having seen the penalty shouts I can't say the ref got any of them wrong and I would have been pissed if any of those had gone against us if it was the other way around. Credit to the lads for sticking with it though. I know we all expected a win at home to a struggling Villa side but it was very important to stop the run of defeats and to try and get a bit of form going into the semi-final. Important for Agger to get some minutes and fingers crossed he is back in the middle of the defence come Tuesday. I can't say that Carra has made many glaring errors since he has been back in the side but the fact is we have stopped keeping clean sheets since Agger went down so it has clearly had an effect. I thought Doni did ok in goal, I saw a few reports suggesting he was at fault for the goal but i would go back a few seconds earlier when a pooor guided header from Shelvey sold a teamate short and we lost possession cheaply just prior to them scoring.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #681: Apr 09, 2012 03:07:00 pm
      Does anybody know the stats on how many times we have hit the post in comparison to other teams?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #682: Apr 10, 2012 08:50:00 am
      Does anybody know the stats on how many times we have hit the post in comparison to other teams?

Does anyone know how many times an oppositon player scores a goal against us that has never, ever scored a goal before or hasn't it the back of the net in the last 5 F***ing years, but they score against us?  :mad: :mad: :mad:
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #683: Apr 10, 2012 09:20:30 am
      Does anyone know how many times an oppositon player scores a goal against us that has never, ever scored a goal before or hasn't it the back of the net in the last 5 f**king years, but they score against us?  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everyone wants to score in front of the famous Kop.... Added incentive...

Except of course any of our players  :f_tongueincheek:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      Reply #684: Apr 10, 2012 10:23:35 am
      Everyone wants to score in front of the famous Kop.... Added incentive...

Except of course any of our players  :f_tongueincheek:

Don't forget that amazing player called Woodwork. He just keeps denying us...top keeper that one...we should sign him up next season.   :-[

Quick Reply