Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Damien Comolli has been sacked

Read 39016 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Damien Comolli has been sacked
      Reply #598: Feb 06, 2015 04:00:24 pm
      Are people are still bigging up Andy Carroll or making excuses for him? He was given many opportunities here. He did not take them. He was lazy. He was never in the box. He couldn't finish. He never fit in when we bought him. He didn't fit in when we bought a bunch of players to complement him. He was, ultimately, a big reason why Kenny got sacked.

Have to agree with this.

He isn't even that great for West Ham. Had a little bit of a purple patch a few weeks back, but even West Ham fans thinks that he ruins their style of play. West Ham fans.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #599: Feb 06, 2015 04:05:20 pm
      The sad fact is, that regardless of where you shop, Aldi or Waitrose, about half of all transfers are failures - right across the league.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #600: Feb 06, 2015 04:18:47 pm
      Comolli's a Toley(sh*te)

A so called DOF who's experience prior to joining LFC was virtually unknown, who brought us those top class individuals such as Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing, yeah right Damien they really did light up the EPL didn't they ?

The way I see the AC signing is as a panic buy in the final hours of the transfer window once judas Torres fu**ed off to plastic city,
      despite his injuries I always felt big Andy was like rabbit caught in headlights, coming from mediocrity at toon he never reached the level required at LFC,

Downing the same, mediocre player playing above his station and was never ever good enough,
      Charlie 'I'm still fat' Adam, had 1 decent campaign at Blackpool and again played above his station for us,

Great legacy Damien 3 of the players you brought to the club were in truth never good enough in the first instance,

Now you expect us to show you sympathy because you want ' the truth' to come out ,

If yourself a favour dipshit, just F**k off out of football altogether before you F**k up at another club ...f***in Tosser !

YNWA
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #601: Feb 06, 2015 05:09:20 pm

Maybe the negativity surrounding Carroll was not helping him? Maybe our innovative & inventive Manager who its claimed is an excellent man manger should have given Carroll the support he needed when he took over from Kenny, knowing Carroll's price tag could be a distraction for the player instead of trying go flog him off before the season even kicked off.

wasn't wanted... wasn't needed.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #602: Feb 06, 2015 05:33:18 pm
      Are people are still bigging up Andy Carroll or making excuses for him? He was given many opportunities here. He did not take them. He was lazy. He was never in the box. He couldn't finish. He never fit in when we bought him. He didn't fit in when we bought a bunch of players to complement him. He was, ultimately, a big reason why Kenny got sacked.

And playing well for West Ham (not really THAT well anyway, but hey, he's doing ok) is something a lot of us who did not want the guy at LFC expected him to do anyway. It's not to say he would have done as well for us - there's a huge difference between the stature of both clubs and the way they play. Kevin Davies was also a pretty good player under Sam Allardyce but I wouldn't have wanted him at LFC.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #603: Feb 07, 2015 01:28:56 am
      "People who may have an agenda" hmmm - Yeah I know.  :D

Let's try to look at it without "agenda" then...

#1: Adam - @ £7m, a squad player who had 11 assists and 2 goals. Maybe not a "proper impact" [mainly because, for some weird reason, 'knowledgeable' fans expected  him to deliver the league/top 4]... yet... a bigger impact that most £7m(+) squad players since.

#2: Downing - @ £20m, supposed to be the man who made the bombs for Carroll. Absolute pish first season. Worked his way back into Brendan's team [in front of his own signings] the following season. Definitely no "proper impact", given the reasonable expectation after such expenditure... yet... a bigger impact, with 3 league goals and 6 assists (under Brendan) than many signed after Comolli.

#3: Doni - Really? Was anyone really expecting a "proper impact" from him? I hope not.  :-\

#4: Enrique - @ £7m, a defender who was part of a defence which conceded only 40 goals in his first season. Played his way into Brendan's team the following season; scoring 2 goals with 6 assists in a team which conceded 43 goals. Next season - didn't play much due to serious injury. Now whilst some might say he hasn't had a proper impact, I believe that this assertion is stretching it, to say the least. He may have played less because of injury (or he may not be in Brendan's thinking) but Enrique has made a bigger impact, both defensively and offensively, than many signed post Comolli.

#5: Coates - @ £7m, a young centre half with potential... pretty much like Ilori in every respect. Hasn't made much of a proper impact (depending what impact was expected, of course) but... yet again... no less than many signed post Comolli.

So there you have it - no agenda, just an honest look at what we got for the money Comolli spent. Was his time here that much more wasteful than what followed? I don't know.

Would any of you 'take' all five signings [and Carroll] again if we could guarantee a Suarez & Henderson in the same batch? I know that I F***ing would... all day, every day>:D

Charlie Adam, clear as day was/is/won't ever be good for us.

Downing, i was one of his biggest fans when he signed but he was trash. We let him go for 6m to West Ham says it all.

Enrique, again i was one of his biggest fans. At the time i said we bought my two favourite left sided players in the league. But he is average and has not been outstanding for us except for his first 6 months at the club.

Coates - failure. Sitting on the bench at Sunderland.

He got us a couple of gems, but his record is not impressive and ways he destabilises clubs shows he's a pest.

Don't know why you're defending those signings. If we spent that much this season and got poor results from those players signed, there would be outrage. OH WAIT! THERE HAS BEEN! :D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #604: Feb 07, 2015 04:49:42 am
      Don't know why you're defending those signings.
      Nah mate... not defending at all. Thankfully  I've been very consistent and have never used "Brendan's" signings [nor Kenny's] as a stick to beat him with so I have no agenda.

The discussion was on Comolli and the impact of his signings. I was merely pointing out that, as a whole, they weren't much worse than what followed.

As such, I thought I was being pretty neutral  - obviously not.

If we spent that much this season and got poor results from those players signed, there would be outrage. OH WAIT! THERE HAS BEEN!
      ;D

Rather than read your posts on the new players - I'll take your word on that but, to be fair...

I would fully expect that, (if posters were being consistent and had no agenda), people like yourself, who saw fault with Adam, Downing, Doni (Really?), Coates and Enrique would have had a F***ing field day whinging about the vast majority of signings post Comolli.

If they haven't I would suspect it's because they either have a clear agenda or they have matured enough mentally to understand they were wrong to do so back then.  8)

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2015 05:19:13 am by bad boy bubby »
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #605: Feb 07, 2015 08:20:51 am
      I have to say admit that I was fully on board with the Downing signing at the time. He was a good player at Boro and Villa, and didn't represent to much of a risk imo.
      Sadly for whatever reason we didn't get the best out of him, maybe it was just a case of Liverpool being too big of a club for him.
      Carroll's signing, I blame on Torres for putting us in a position where we had to run out and get a replacement last minute replacement, meaning we were held to ransom by Newcastle.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #606: Feb 07, 2015 09:56:09 am
      I have to say admit that I was fully on board with the Downing signing at the time. He was a good player at Boro and Villa, and didn't represent to much of a risk imo.
      Sadly for whatever reason we didn't get the best out of him, maybe it was just a case of Liverpool being too big of a club for him.
      Carroll's signing, I blame on Torres for putting us in a position where we had to run out and get a replacement last minute replacement, meaning we were held to ransom by Newcastle.
      Players not making the impact we (managers/fans) hoped they would happens mate and it always has... pre, during or post Comolli.

For that reason and that reason alone I try not to use failings of individual transfers as a stick to beat a manager with.

For me (and I'm only speaking for myself here) the price is less important than a players ability and what he brings to the team. [With the benefit of hindsight] I was disappointed with both Carroll and Downing not because they cost what they did but because they didn't, as 'the main men', perform for Liverpool.

Of Comolli's signinga (as listed previously)...

Personally I didn't expect much from Adam who, let's be honest, was bought as a squad player - same as I haven't for squad players we've bought since - yet he didn't do too bad for what he was.
      Enrique was better than what we had and when I look at his figures (both in defence & attack); hasn't really disappointed me. Will Moreno prove to be better? I certainly hope so. Coates, very much like Ilori, was bought as 'young and with potential'. Am I disappointed he didn't fulfil that potential? A little bit...  maybe... but I know enough about football to realise that very few 'young, with potential' actually make it so... I can't hold that against anyone.

Truth be told - Comolli's signings were pretty much on a par with what went before and came after... In my opinion, of course. ;D

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #607: Feb 07, 2015 02:54:46 pm
      Nah mate... not defending at all. Thankfully  I've been very consistent and have never used "Brendan's" signings [nor Kenny's] as a stick to beat him with so I have no agenda.

The discussion was on Comolli and the impact of his signings. I was merely pointing out that, as a whole, they weren't much worse than what followed.

As such, I thought I was being pretty neutral  - obviously not.
       ;D

Rather than read your posts on the new players - I'll take your word on that but, to be fair...

I would fully expect that, (if posters were being consistent and had no agenda), people like yourself, who saw fault with Adam, Downing, Doni (Really?), Coates and Enrique would have had a F***ing field day whinging about the vast majority of signings post Comolli.

If they haven't I would suspect it's because they either have a clear agenda or they have matured enough mentally to understand they were wrong to do so back then.  8)

I think we have more than enough failed signings since Commolli left, too. Welsh Xavi, Borini, Lovren, Mignolet etc.

My point was Damien fu**ed up (like he has at many previous jobs), he deserved the boot, he has been unemployed since for a reason.

And to add, i have wanted the current transfer team to get the sack too - the scouts can be farmed out and Ian Ayre to be removed from footballing decisions and stick to boardroom stuff. I wouldn't mind, as said elsewhere, a Director of Football to come in and shape the squad better. I think a proven figure will help no end even though i don't think we will ever see that happen.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #608: Feb 08, 2015 10:17:25 am
      I don't find anything offensive in Comolli's comments and for me, like every other man, he's entitled to have his say.

I'm not a fan of the DoF role generally but I've said repeatedly that your view of those signings must be tempered by a) realistic expectations b) what went before in terms of success with signings and c) what came since.

On all of those - for me - the report card reads "...must do better...".

Why this guy is singled out for such resentment I genuinely don't get.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #609: Feb 08, 2015 10:44:19 am
      My point was Damien fu**ed up (like he has at many previous jobs), he deserved the boot
        ;D
      Point taken Crouchy. Who gave him the boot? And...

Ian Ayre to be removed from footballing decisions
      Who should "give him the boot"? :confused-smiley-013:

Not that I'm denying that Ayre needs removing but (if it were down to me) I'd first get rid of Edwards, his mate Graham and their F***ing ridiculous software package [which decides whether a scouted player is value for money].

Either way - I agree with you that our transfer policy/strategy over the past 4+ years has been pish.  8)
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015 11:17:47 am by bad boy bubby »

Quick Reply