Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

iPhone 5 discussion thread

Read 11209 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      iPhone 5 discussion thread
      Apr 20, 2012 07:28:39 pm
      This a bit of a selfish thread. As some of you may know, my (crap) O2 contract is up, and I'm off to Vodafone.
      http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,40299.0.html

I was going to just dive into an 18 month contract with the iPhone 4S. It was going to be a 24 month contract but the 18 month one works out around Ā£100 cheaper. But I digress.

The little lady was have in a 'phone conversation with a friend and it came up that the iPhone 5 is due to set free in October.

This got the little grey cells working,  ;D
      ... off to Vodafone on a Sim only contract until it's released, this will allow me to assess the reception of Vodafone.

So that's the waffle.

There have been a lot of rumours about this phone.

Just did a search and the Daily Fail published something today! If true this phone may be in my sticky little paws by Christmas.

Apple's new iPhone 5 could be ultraslim thanks to hi-tech 'liquid metal'

:o Hi-tech 'liquid metal' alloy could mean new shape for iconic smartphone
       :-\ New phone could be delayed until October, claims analyst

Apple's new iPhone 5 could be housed in a little-known hi-tech alloy known as 'liquid metal' - which feels like glass to the touch.
      The alloy, a mix of titanium, nickel, copper and zirconium among other metals, is tough, light and scratch resistant, and said to feel as smooth as glass.
      But analysts fear that shortages of hi-tech components could mean the device is delayed until October.

A concept of what the new handset might look like designed for MacRumors: Apple's new iPhone 5 could be housed in a little-known hi-tech alloy known as 'liquid metal' - which feels like glass to the touch

Ciccarese Design's 'concept' iPhone 5: The material can be shaped in a process similar to the 'injection moulding', used for plastic which could lead to a rounder, more organic shape for the new handset

The material can be shaped in a process similar to the 'injection moulding', used for plastic which could lead to a rounder, more organic shape for the new handset.
      The leak was reported in Korean IT News, which said, 'In the meantime, iPhone5 is likely to take liquid metal, an alloy of zirconium, titanium, nickel, copper and so forth having an outer surface smooth like liquid.'

Korean IT News predicted that the handset would launch in June at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. The design is not finalised - the images here are concept designs made by Ciccarese Design for MacRumors.
      Others, though, predict that the new iPhone will launch in October - a year after the last iPhone update, the 4S.

Analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray said that component shortages would lead to the expected summer launch of the new handset being delayed to October.

The news caused Apple's share price to dip by 3.4% according to a report in Bloomberg News.
      Apple's iPhone 4S is looking increasingly dated as manufacturers such as HTC bring out phones such as the One X armed with hi-tech components such as quad-core processors.
      Sony's Xperia S has a screen resolution far higher than the current iPhone.
      Samsung is also said to be on the verge of launching its eagerly awaited Galaxy S3 handset.
      'The successor to the Galaxy S2 smartphone will be unveiled at a Samsung-hosted event in the first half of the year, close to commercial availability of the product,' said the Korean electronics giant in a statement.
      Technical specifications of the device haven't been released.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2132639/iPhone-5-rumours-Liquid-metal-make-new-Apple-phone-ultraslim.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

God knows how much it will cost, and probably be 4G too.

Looking forward to this, so I'm going to start to save my pennies, and be a trend setter for once.
      « Last Edit: May 24, 2013 06:50:43 pm by Reslivo »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Re: The iPhone 5 rumour and counter rumour thread.
      Reply #1: May 05, 2012 11:29:32 am
      iPhone 5 Report Suggests a Larger Display and New Dock Connector
      iPhone 5 Report Suggests a Larger Display and New Dock Connector

The Liquidmetal iPhone 5 concept might not be real, but there are some substantial next iPhone rumors surfacing today.

The Apple news site iLounge says it has heard from its own sources that the next version of Appleā€™s phone will have a larger 4-inch screen (the current iPhone has a 3.5-inch display), a metal back, and a new dock connector.

ā€œThe new iPhone will indeed be longer and thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4S,ā€ iLoungeā€™s Jeremy Horwitz reports. He also says that it will have a new back; it will have a metal panel but wonā€™t be curved as other reports have suggested.

It is also said that the new phone will use the second generation of Gorilla Glass, the durable glass that covers the current iPhone. Gorilla Glass 2 is thinner, but provides the same protection.

Lastly, iLounge reports that the phone will have a new dock connector, something that has reported previously as well. The new charging port is said to use fewer pins and be smaller.

Apple is expected to release the next iPhone in the second half of the year, perhaps in September, close to a year after the iPhone 4S was released. Apple has not said anything publicly about the next version of its iPhone. Hereā€™s what we do know for sure: there will be a heck of a lot of iPhone 5 rumors before Apple releases the real deal.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/05/iphone-5-report-suggests-a-larger-display-and-new-dock-connector/

New Dock connector, WTF! Does this mean that all the BoomBoxes etc will not connect? Why do this FFS!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #2: Jun 11, 2012 09:25:06 pm
      Apple ditches Google Maps software in latest iOS
      Apple has unveiled its latest mobile operating system, iOS6, at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The operating system, which runs on its iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices, will no longer include Google Maps software.

Apple will instead run its own mapping app, which has a high-quality 3D mode, on the platform.

Google announced its own 3D mapping software last week on its competing mobile platform, Android.

Both companies have used fleets of planes to capture the imagery, drawing concerns from some privacy campaigners.

Apple's updated iOS software is being released in beta on Tuesday, and will be available for general consumers by the autumn, chief executive Tim Cook said.

It will be a free update for owners of either an iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS - as well as users of the latest iPad, the iPad 2 and fourth generation iPod touch.

Additional features include "eyes free", a feature on which Apple said it had worked with car manufacturers to integrate a "Siri button" to activate the iPhone's voice-operated assistant.

For the first time on Apple's devices, video calls will be able to be made over a cellular connection, rather than relying on wi-fi or another mobile internet source.

Macbook revamp
      The company also announced revamped models in its Macbook Pro and Macbook Air ranges.

Its new Macbook Pro is 0.71 inches thick, with a high-resolution Retina display. It utilises Intel's Ivy Bridge processor.

Its slimline Macbook Air range has also been upgraded with enhanced graphics and processing capabilities.

Both will offer a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion, the latest version of the Mac operating system which is set for release in July.

Among its features is enhanced synchronisation between desktop, laptop and mobile, thanks to iCloud, the company's cloud-based storage service.

Once again, predictions that Apple was set to announce a long-rumoured television failed to materialise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18393993

Is this the time for the 5 to be released?
      MartyMacca
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #3: Jun 12, 2012 10:39:46 am
      im on pay as you go looking to go contract i was gonna get the iphone4s but best deal i seen was in tesco's im thinking of holding out for the iphone 5 but i heard good things about the samsung galaxy 3 anyone got it?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #4: Jun 12, 2012 11:01:26 am
      Apple ditches Google Maps software in latest iOS
      Apple has unveiled its latest mobile operating system, iOS6, at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The operating system, which runs on its iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices, will no longer include Google Maps software.

Apple will instead run its own mapping app, which has a high-quality 3D mode, on the platform.

Google announced its own 3D mapping software last week on its competing mobile platform, Android.

Both companies have used fleets of planes to capture the imagery, drawing concerns from some privacy campaigners.

Apple's updated iOS software is being released in beta on Tuesday, and will be available for general consumers by the autumn, chief executive Tim Cook said.

It will be a free update for owners of either an iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS - as well as users of the latest iPad, the iPad 2 and fourth generation iPod touch.

Additional features include "eyes free", a feature on which Apple said it had worked with car manufacturers to integrate a "Siri button" to activate the iPhone's voice-operated assistant.

For the first time on Apple's devices, video calls will be able to be made over a cellular connection, rather than relying on wi-fi or another mobile internet source.

Macbook revamp
      The company also announced revamped models in its Macbook Pro and Macbook Air ranges.

Its new Macbook Pro is 0.71 inches thick, with a high-resolution Retina display. It utilises Intel's Ivy Bridge processor.

Its slimline Macbook Air range has also been upgraded with enhanced graphics and processing capabilities.

Both will offer a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion, the latest version of the Mac operating system which is set for release in July.

Among its features is enhanced synchronisation between desktop, laptop and mobile, thanks to iCloud, the company's cloud-based storage service.

Once again, predictions that Apple was set to announce a long-rumoured television failed to materialise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18393993

Is this the time for the 5 to be released?

Doubt it. I'd expect an announcement some time in Sept/Oct, if I had bought a 4S on a contract within the last month and they announced a new phone I'd be pissed.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #5: Jun 12, 2012 11:27:09 am
      im on pay as you go looking to go contract i was gonna get the iphone4s but best deal i seen was in tesco's im thinking of holding out for the iphone 5 but i heard good things about the samsung galaxy 3 anyone got it?

Tesco may have the best deal, but they run off the O2 network.  O2 I think has the "best" coverage, BUT it is full, thus not that good.

I was on O2, went to Vodafone, now they both run off the same transmitters, but the Vodafone service is better.

I now have a signal in places, where I did not have one before. So be careful.

If you have iTunes, and an iPod etc, then I'd stick with Apple, yes it's expensive, but then all the music, video, apps etc will sync.

If you already have an iPhone then you can simply transfer the content of the old one to a new one.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #6: Jun 12, 2012 11:31:50 am
      Doubt it. I'd expect an announcement some time in Sept/Oct, if I had bought a 4S on a contract within the last month and they announced a new phone I'd be pissed.

Sept/Oct is Autumn. Isn't it?

I got the 3GS just over 2 years ago, and the next month the 4 was released. But to be honest there is not that much difference, still able to upgrade to the latest OS.

I'm now on a month by month contract, so when the 5 comes out I can easily switch. That's the plan anyway.

Ā£15.50, 300 min, 250mb data, unlimited texts with Vodafone, where as O2 were charging me on Contract (24m) Ā£31.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #7: Jun 20, 2012 03:24:50 pm
      Pinch of salt may be required, but a Fat Bloke, (seriously), not in a Pub, but in a Vodafone shop tells me it's OCTOBER, (He works there).

They are currently upgrading their masts to 4G.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #8: Jun 20, 2012 04:35:10 pm
      Pinch of salt may be required, but a Fat Bloke, (seriously), not in a Pub, but in a Vodafone shop tells me it's OCTOBER, (He works there).

They are currently upgrading their masts to 4G.
      Nice one my contract runs out in September! Thanks for the info!.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2012 05:43:55 pm
      Oh god. Another overrated phone coming out that'll charge an arm and a leg for a phone that does less than an Android.

Let's see what they bring out this time - my guess, a bigger screen that is "revelation" and "innovative" to technology.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #10: Jun 20, 2012 06:49:20 pm
      Retina display, apparently - like the iPad 3.

I'm pretty sure Samsung have developed better displays in prototype for new Android phones - but what do I know? ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #11: Jun 20, 2012 07:35:03 pm
      Oh god. Another overrated phone coming out that'll charge an arm and a leg for a phone that does less than an Android.

Let's see what they bring out this time - my guess, a bigger screen that is "revelation" and "innovative" to technology.

"Another" overrated 'phone ehh, Are you including the Samsung, HTC, Window's 'phones in that statement, or just having ago at Apple's iPhones?

You may be right, BUT it will not be just a 'phone will it. You pay for what you get. Apple does have great support I have found, always willing to help and advise. Do Samsung etc have their own shops, or do Curry's Comet, Carphone Warehouse know what they are talking about. In my experience they know very little, except the advice, "have you looked on any online forums!"

Can you tell me what the Androids do that the iPhone 5 will not, seeing that we do not know what the iPhone's specs will be.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Jun 20, 2012 07:44:38 pm
      One thing Androids can do but Iphones can. Use and load widgets on the home screen. Customise the phone in many more ways than you ever can with an Iphone. Flash Support :).

I apologise if i was a tad rude in the earlier post, but I just don't see why the iPhone is so special. I really don't.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #13: Jun 20, 2012 07:48:00 pm
      Foxconn CEO Terry Gou: iPhone 5 Will Destroy The Samsung Galaxy S III
      Foxconn Chairman and President Terry Gou didnā€™t get where he is by mouthing off details about secret products he is building to the press, but according to a new report, heā€™s just confirmed that the iPhone 5 is comingā€¦ and itā€™ll make the Samsung Galaxy S III look like a hunk of junk. If it didnā€™t already.

First reported by The China Times, Gou told journalists that he pretty much hated Samsung, and that his lifeā€™s goal was to defeat the Korean gadget maker, a company he described as having ā€œa track record of snitching on its competitors.ā€

What Gouā€™s talking about is Samsung reporting four Taiwanese companies to the EU during an investigation on price-fixing in the flat panel industry, in order to save its own skin and serve as a ā€œtainted witness.ā€

As for the iPhone 5, this is the money quote:

Gou also urged consumers to wait for the launch of Appleā€™s iPhone 5, saying that the new model will put Samsungā€™s Galaxy III to shame. With Hon Haiā€™s marketing and manufacturing strengths and Sharpā€™s key technologies, the two will be able to defeat their arch-rival Samsung, the chairman said.

No doubt about that.

http://www.cultofmac.com/174843/foxconn-ceo-terry-gou-iphone-5-will-destroy-the-samsung-galaxy-s-iii/?utm_medium=twit&utm_campaign=spread-us

;D
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #14: Jun 20, 2012 07:54:03 pm
      Wow, that article is like the most solid piece of evidence I have ever seen. There is absolutely no come back.

Because Terry Gou said so. He works for a company that is contracted to Apple and he praises Apple's phones. Jesus, this is a new era of evolution.

Also Terry Gou says he "hates" Samsung so let's be honest, he ain't going to be nice towards them.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #15: Jun 20, 2012 08:05:52 pm
      One thing Androids can do but Iphones can. Use and load widgets on the home screen. Customise the phone in many more ways than you ever can with an Iphone. Flash Support :).

I apologise if i was a tad rude in the earlier post, but I just don't see why the iPhone is so special. I really don't.

Aren't Widgets just another form of App?
      I have them on my PC and are now deleted.
      And to be honest I'm glad you can't customise the iPhone too much. I've done that with other things and they just get messy.

As for the flash, don't really miss it. I did not know it did not run it until the press got on to it.

Nar, you weren't rude.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #16: Jun 20, 2012 08:10:07 pm
      Over-rated phone? over-priced?

The iPhone 4 is brilliant and I would be lost without it. I also got it on contract, but cost zero ($0, Ā£0, ā‚¬0) to buy the phone, and the contract is reasonable.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #17: Jun 20, 2012 08:14:27 pm
      Wow, that article is like the most solid piece of evidence I have ever seen. There is absolutely no come back.

Because Terry Gou said so. He works for a company that is contracted to Apple and he praises Apple's phones. Jesus, this is a new era of evolution.

Also Terry Gou says he "hates" Samsung so let's be honest, he ain't going to be nice towards them.

But it's on the internet, so it must be true.

To be honest, I feel they are going to be very similar, and that is why they take each other to court every other week.

I never liked the iPhone, and Apple or iTunes, but now I have got my head around how to use the bloody thinks, I have been converted.

As I have a lot of peripherals for my and the wife's iPhone and iPods I am biased, as you are.

A question to be answered is which one will win?

Would you have a Nokia anymore?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #18: Jun 20, 2012 08:21:00 pm
      Android sucks.

In the last couple of years I have had the Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy SII, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and most recently the Nokia Lumia 800.

The Samsung phones are horrible! The actual phones feels like toy phones you get on the front of a childs magazine and Android was just so dull, I didnt enjoy using them once.

I have to admit the iPhones are limited, and if you arnt going to jail break it, then I wouldn't touch one, but once jail broken (1 minute max) it easily becomes the best phone out there, you basically unlock your phone to do whatever you want with it. Even though I have the Nokia as my main phone now, I can never stay away from my iPhone.

The Nokia I am using at the minute uses Windows Phone 7, which is great, not very well supported at the minute but it is very slick, nicest OS Ive 'felt' on a phone.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Jun 20, 2012 08:22:51 pm
      But it's on the internet, so it must be true.

To be honest, I feel they are going to be very similar, and that is why they take each other to court every other week.

I never liked the iPhone, and Apple or iTunes, but now I have got my head around how to use the bloody thinks, I have been converted.

As I have a lot of peripherals for my and the wife's iPhone and iPods I am biased, as you are.

A question to be answered is which one will win?

Would you have a Nokia anymore?

No, Nokia is old technology. Their recent phones have excellent spec, but sh*te software.

I'll be honest with you RedPuppy, I have an IPad 3, MacBook air and a home computer MacBook. I love those products and they are simply fantastic.

I just dislike the iPhone and I am of the opinion that Android phones are better than Apple phones.
      « Last Edit: Jun 20, 2012 08:38:13 pm by lfc_ynwa »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4587 
      Reply #20: Jun 20, 2012 08:37:00 pm
      Happy with the iPhone 4S which I got today with the iPad 3 today at zero cost, loving them both at the moment.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Jun 20, 2012 08:39:07 pm
      Happy with the iPhone 4S which I got today with the iPad 3 today at zero cost, loving them both at the moment.

Without being nosy. How'd you get them both for free? Anyway, that's a very good buy.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #22: Jun 20, 2012 08:40:19 pm
      Without being nosy. How'd you get them both for free? Anyway, that's a very good buy.

Quick Reply