Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Tech Help

Read 1967 times
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,181 posts | 832 
      Tech Help
      Apr 21, 2012 05:19:44 pm
      Hi,

I need some help regarding what to do with my wireless roater. I have a Belkin N1 wireless roater and everytime I turn on my laptop and connect my DSL and roater disconnects, then reconnects, then again disconnects every 5 - 10 minutes. I don't know why it's doing it, I tried to restart my roater, even change the channel and play around with my laptop. Plus, the tech guy from the internet company came and told me there is nothing wrong with the DSL.

This only happens when I turn on my laptop, the whole day the internet and DSL from my Belkin roater is working fine.

If anyone knows any other way I can solve this issue your help is very much appreciated. Thanks

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Tech Help
      Reply #1: Apr 21, 2012 11:18:05 pm
      Stop using a roater and get yourself a decent router :)

Have you tried resetting it mate? There should be a reset button on the router that takes it back to factory settings. Then you can just refigure the router again and everything should be fine.

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,181 posts | 832 
      Reply #2: Apr 22, 2012 09:26:56 am
      I've reset my "router" (thnx for the spell check ;D) several times but I still get the same problem. When I turn off my router and turn it back on it works for 2 or 3 hours then it disconnects and reconnects every 10 minutes.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #3: Apr 22, 2012 10:10:19 am
      Maybe its your laptop? Not the router.

Try connecting your laptop to the router through an ethernet cable just to check if it really is the router, or your laptop wireless cutting out.

My old laptop kept cutting from the Internet every 10 minutes.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1475 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #4: Apr 22, 2012 10:15:28 am
      Yeah, like lfc_ynwa said, could be the laptop, have you got anywhere else you could go? family or friends and connect to their router and see if it still cuts off, or if you have any older routers, try one of them.

If you can connect to other routers correctly then it must be a router problem, if you got it with your ISP package, ring and ask them for another, or buy a different one.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,181 posts | 832 
      Reply #5: Apr 22, 2012 01:49:07 pm
      I don't think it's from my laptop... As far as I know, even when my brother opens his it disconnects as well! Thanks again, it's working fine for now! For some reason it stopped disconnecting
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,508 posts | 1475 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Apr 22, 2012 02:36:22 pm
      Give it a good boot if it does it again! xD

I remember once my brothers PC would not turn on at all, opened it up and everything to try and sort it out, in the end got really pissed off and booted the thing in the side of the case, next time I pressed the power button it came on.... -.-'
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2012 10:21:08 pm
      It could be a few problems:

Depending on how old your Laptop is, it may have issues w/ the " N " signal.  Some laptops that were sold when N first came out had the Wireless "Draft" N.  Which is different from the standard N. Draft N was sort of a Beta version of Standard N.

Check your Mfr specs on your laptop. The Draft version is usually not different than the Std N. A lot of Mfrs wanted to be the first to have N capable wifi. Once the draft versions were implemented in the Laptops sometimes the firmware changes. 

Ck your specs on the Laptop, check the Mfr site for any firmware or updated Wifi drivers. You may also need to check the firmware on the Wireless router too.  I would also ck if your using WEP or WPA.   I have heard that WEP can sometimes cause disconnect issues with certain routers and wifi cards. If your using WEP change it too WPA.  First, WEP is awful and can be cracked in minutes by even the most novice hacker. WPA is a lot stronger and harder to crack.

Let me know what happens with it or if you need add'l help.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,181 posts | 832 
      Reply #8: Apr 25, 2012 10:01:50 pm
      My laptop isn't really old, I bought it 5 months ago it's an HP dv6 with 8gig ram and a i7 core  ;D

However, the router seems fine now, so hopefully I don't jinx anything or play around ;D!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2012 05:33:00 am
      My laptop isn't really old, I bought it 5 months ago it's an HP dv6 with 8gig ram and a i7 core  ;D

However, the router seems fine now, so hopefully I don't jinx anything or play around ;D!

First, the IT, Cable company guys dont really do sh*t to find out whats wrong. If it cant be fixed by flashing the router or changing the Network cable, they wont do sh*t except except try and sell you a upgraded plan with "More Bandwidth", but since your Wireless cant cant handle the minimum throughput to begin with its a complete f***in bullshit, ripoff.  Dont EVER allow the Cable or IT provider to fix your network.

Check to see your Laptop has the WIDI. Which is a direct to TV wireless signal, this may cause issues and drop problems too.

You can still have a problem if your Router is a "N" spec wireless router.  A lot of the early N Routers claim "802.11n -Standard" all over the front of the box and in their literature, which "Technically" is correct. They are N routers. They say their 802.11 N has a 300 mbps physical data rate, but the actual data rate is WAY lower.  Plus the router itself may be "Draft N".

Go to Belkin check your current Firmware version on your Router, and see if Belkin has an updated version.

Check out the limk below and it will give you some info on N and Draft N routers and standards.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/125612/pc_world_analysis_deconstructing_the_draft_80211n_wifi_hype.html] [url]http://www.pcworld.com/article/125612/pc_world_analysis_deconstructing_the_draft_80211n_wifi_hype.html[/url]

If you still have Issue. I would buy a updated N Wireless Router....Specifically a Dual band 2.4/5.0 ghz. W/ standard NON DRAFT N. The new ones have great security, wirelss connection setups to install wireless printing and wireless storage and sharing.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #10: Apr 28, 2012 05:45:45 am
      The link I provided seems to be messed up.  Try the following:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/125612/pc_world_analysis_deconstructing_the_draft_80211n_wifi_hype.html

Check out this link for the Belkin Firmware page.  It may have an update that could solve your problems.

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/belkin-router-firmware-updates

Quick Reply