Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Is Mourinho a product of financial doping and favourable climate.

Read 31163 times
      Bier
      Re: Is Mourinho a product of financial doping and favourable climate.
      Reply #92: Apr 26, 2012 02:18:08 am
      I am not blaming him for anything. I ma saying that Intermilan bringing in 5 world class players .. a whole forward line (Eto, Milito, Sneider ) in one transfer window is unprecedented and the reason for any success. This is not a model any other coach in the world is allowed to follow. his success has everything to do with the institutions who bought it.

Look at this morning he beats to CSKA-> Apoel and loses to Bayern who played football. He beats the also rans and occasionally gets lucky against a good team. In the leagues he wins he totally outguns all the opposition in terms of squads\and goes into the CL as favourite. whats difficult about this
      You obviously haven't read my earlier posts in this thread because I'm not a fan of Mourinho, at all. So you're preaching to the wrong person.  Doesn't mean that I think he's inept at everything though. Things aren't as black and white as you make it out to be. And so what that he brings in 5 worldclass players? Other clubs have spend more money in transfer windows. Somehow you think it's a bad thing that he spend that money wisely, and optimally benefitted from the circumstances at that time.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #93: Apr 26, 2012 02:26:50 am
      Diego, how can you say that Eto, Lucio, sneider, Motta and Milito weren't huge signings in ONE transfer window. Added to an already very strong squad. How can you possibly say that.

Because they weren't. Eto'o came as a part of the Ibrahimovic deal. It also gave Inter a LOT of money. Sneijder was cheaper than Henderson. Lucio was really cheap for his quality (transfer listed at Bayern and over 30 years old). Motta was relatively cheap as well (around 10M euros, I believe) and Milito was the only more expensive signing, still brought for less than what Barça paid for Ibra though.

Let me put it as simple as I can, so maybe you can understand: you keep saying it's all about the MONEY. Yet his net spend at Inter was relatively LOW. Also, those were HIS signings. If HE made GOOD signings, then it works in his favour, not against him in my judgement. It's that obvious.

Tell me have you ever seen five players of that calibre go to one club in one transfer window?

I said many times before already... Eto'o was a part exchange deal, Lucio and Sneijder were UNWANTED at their respective clubs (it's easy to talk about their "calibre" now, after they have succeded). Motta is a good player but not that high calibre. Milito was near his 30's playing for Genoa, a lot of clubs could have got him, but it was Mourinho who spotted the chance and made him a UCL hero.

Mourinho never has to sell, he makes five huge transfers in one window and adds them to team that already brim with talent, constructs teams to completely outgun the opposition, Blocks up the midfield and defence and lobs it over the top for Drogba, Robben, Eto, Ronaldo to run onto, has been in charge of the biggest squads in history... oh yeah he won a few.

Seriously mate, you're entitled to your opinion, I'm alright with it. JUST USE LOGIC, please. You say he never has to sell, then mentions Eto'o, who was actually acquired by selling a player. Stop contradicting yourself.

Not to mention you are now completely ignoring that he has won the UEFA Champions League with Porto.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #94: Apr 26, 2012 02:26:57 am
      You obviously haven't read my earlier posts in this thread because I'm not a fan of Mourinho, at all. So you're preaching to the wrong person.  Doesn't mean that I think he's inept at everything though. Things aren't as black and white as you make it out to be. And so what that he brings in 5 worldclass players? Other clubs have spend more money in transfer windows. Somehow you think it's a bad thing that he spend that money wisely, and optimally benefitted from the circumstances at that time.
      It's not a bad thing, it's the reason for his success. I have never seen a team bring in 5 players of that calibre before ... except for him. I very much doubt the wage bill was balanced.. would have to look at length of contract .. actual wages etc.

What I can say is Mourinho has had more backing than any coach in history and his results should be analysed in respect of that. If someone is given bionic legs and breaks the 100m world record would you praise them
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #95: Apr 26, 2012 02:30:01 am
      So he did a good job with his transfers, that is why he won at Inter. Geez everybody out there can watch the CL and see who the best players are why don't we all buy them, five at a time

:roll: :roll: :roll: He could have spent £35M in Andy Carroll and £20M in Downing, but no, he got 5 great players for low prices, in the same window he sold one of his best players to Barcelona.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #96: Apr 26, 2012 02:33:12 am
      It's not a bad thing, it's the reason for his success. I have never seen a team bring in 5 players of that calibre before ... except for him. I very much doubt the wage bill was balanced.. would have to look at length of contract .. actual wages etc.

What I can say is Mourinho has had more backing than any coach in history and his results should be analysed in respect of that. If someone is given bionic legs and breaks the 100m world record would you praise them

Haha if a manager gets such great players for the prices he did, than it's a masterpiece of a transfer window, not something to work against him. Yet they were none of the "garanteed success" you make them sound like. Thiago Motta is not even a Brazilian international. Diego Milito hardly plays for Argentina at all. Lucio was past his 30's and not wanted by Van Gaal anymore. Sneijder was a Real Madrid reject. Stop forcing your completely flawed logic. He spotted great opportunities and got the players.

And don't you forget he won the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League (only the 2nd manager in football history to win both competitions in a row, after Bob Paisley) with Porto. He also qualified Leiria to European competitions.

You're so simplistic it borders stupidty.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #97: Apr 26, 2012 02:35:57 am
      Because they weren't. Eto'o came as a part of the Ibrahimovic deal. It also gave Inter a LOT of money. Sneijder was cheaper than Henderson. Lucio was really cheap for his quality (transfer listed at Bayern and over 30 years old). Motta was relatively cheap as well (around 10M euros, I believe) and Milito was the only more expensive signing, still brought for less than what Barça paid for Ibra though.

Let me put it as simple as I can, so maybe you can understand: you keep saying it's all about the MONEY. Yet his net spend at Inter was relatively LOW. Also, those were HIS signings. If HE made GOOD signings, then it works in his favour, not against him in my judgement. It's that obvious.

I said many times before already... Eto'o was a part exchange deal, Lucio and Sneijder were UNWANTED at their respective clubs (it's easy to talk about their "calibre" now, after they have succeded). Motta is a good player but not that high calibre. Milito was near his 30's playing for Genoa, a lot of clubs could have got him, but it was Mourinho who spotted the chance and made him a UCL hero.

Seriously mate, you're entitled to your opinion, I'm alright with it. JUST USE LOGIC, please. You say he never has to sell, then mentions Eto'o, who was actually acquired by selling a player. Stop contradicting yourself.

Not to mention you are now completely ignoring that he has won the UEFA Champions League with Porto.

His win with Porto doesn't make him a brilliant coach, anymore than it would have made Deschamps a brilliant coach is he'd won or the coach of Deportivo.

Intermilan's squad has been posted up. You said it was ok. It was one of the strongest in Europe. If a club gets you five world class players in one deal they are backing you to the hilt. Especially on top of the squad you have. Mourinho didn't scout those players, everybody had heard of those players .. they were stars. They won the CL .. what did Mourinho do. He didn't even by Ibra.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #98: Apr 26, 2012 02:40:46 am
      No need to get personal mate. My logic is sound or you wouldn't be upset. Mourinho has spent more money than any coach in history. He has had the most expensive squads in History.. stop me if this isn't true .. he is at the teams that win anyway.. barring chelsea and you have seen the squad he had after they finished second.. so what is to praise.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #99: Apr 26, 2012 02:42:43 am
      His win with Porto doesn't make him a brilliant coach, anymore than it would have made Deschamps a brilliant coach is he'd won or the coach of Deportivo.

Intermilan's squad has been posted up. You said it was ok. It was one of the strongest in Europe. If a club gets you five world class players in one deal they are backing you to the hilt. Especially on top of the squad you have. Mourinho didn't scout those players, everybody had heard of those players .. they were stars. They won the CL .. what did Mourinho do. He didn't even by Ibra.

Except Deschamps didn't win it, Mourinho did. Two European competitions with them in a row.

Inter Milan squad was good, not the best in the world though. They beat a better team in the semifinals and faced a squad of similar quality in the final.

To ignore the importance of the manager in that win is pure stupidity. It's childish, too. I don't like the man either, but judge him as a grown up.

As for saying they were stars, will you ever bother comment on what I'm saying about these players? Why were Sneijder and Lucio unwanted at Bayern and Real?

And Thiago Motta a star? Seriously? A 27 year old playing for Genoa? A star? Are you joking me? A guy who is now playing for PSG in France? Seriously?

What about Diego Milito, 30 years old and playing for Genoa. A proven star?

Don't underestimate our brains, please.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #100: Apr 26, 2012 02:42:59 am
      Haha if a manager gets such great players for the prices he did, than it's a masterpiece of a transfer window, not something to work against him. Yet they were none of the "garanteed success" you make them sound like. Thiago Motta is not even a Brazilian international. Diego Milito hardly plays for Argentina at all. Lucio was past his 30's and not wanted by Van Gaal anymore. Sneijder was a Real Madrid reject. Stop forcing your completely flawed logic. He spotted great opportunities and got the players.

And don't you forget he won the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League (only the 2nd manager in football history to win both competitions in a row, after Bob Paisley) with Porto. He also qualified Leiria to European competitions.

Oh yeah .. none of them are guareanteed success .. true. Put five battle hardened world class internationals into the squad Inter had and ... well you get the picture. Oh yeah spotting those five was genius.. I can see why you think Mourinho is a genius
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #101: Apr 26, 2012 02:46:16 am
      Except Deschamps didn't win it, Mourinho did. Two European competitions with them in a row.

Inter Milan squad was good, not the best in the world though. They beat a better team in the semifinals and faced a squad of similar quality in the final.

To ignore the importance of the manager in that win is pure stupidity. It's childish, too. I don't like the man either, but judge him as a grown up.

As for saying they were stars, will you ever bother comment on what I'm saying about these players? Why were Sneijder and Lucio unwanted at Bayern and Real?

And Thiago Motta a star? Seriously? A 27 year old playing for Genoa? A star? Are you joking me? A guy who is now playing for PSG in France? Seriously?

Your man took the most expensive squad in history.. again... played like an away team .. AT THE BERNABEAU...sent the tow biggest signings in history to pull him out of the fire .. and a 19 year old sunk him. GENIUS written all over it. What exactly were the geniuses tactics
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #102: Apr 26, 2012 02:48:43 am
      :lmao: I'm done with you, mate. I ask many questions and you answer none, just throw more bullshit to the conversation. He's not "my" man, I dislike him as a person, but that's football. Not always the best teams win.

Answer me that: if managers are irrelevant and it's all about the money, then why don't Real Madrid win the UCL every year?

Good night. I hope you're just a kid, I'd be worried with a man with such childish line of though.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #103: Apr 26, 2012 02:48:49 am

I am sorry I read somewhere that you have an interest in tactics. Well heres' some advice from the best.. get the biggest most expensive squad in the world...and win by blocking up the midfield and lobbing it over the top. Easy
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #104: Apr 26, 2012 02:49:28 am
      PS: the assumption that Thiago Motta is a world class player made my day. Thank you.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #105: Apr 26, 2012 02:50:54 am
      :lmao: I'm done with you, mate. I ask many questions and you answer none, just throw more bullshit to the conversation. He's not "my" man, I dislike him as a person, but that's football. Not always the best teams win.

Answer me that: if managers are irrelevant and it's all about the money, then why don't Real Madrid win the UCL every year?

Good night. I hope you're just a kid, I'd be worried with a man with such childish line of though.

Mourinho's elevated success is all about the money.. there
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #106: Apr 26, 2012 02:54:06 am
      PS: the assumption that Thiago Motta is a world class player made my day. Thank you.

Your welcome. But you do agree that 4 out of the 5 were then.. and one international class
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #107: Apr 26, 2012 03:02:19 am
      Look people don't shoot the messenger. I just want to maybe question your undying loyalty to Mourinho. Maybe I am biased, wrong whatever.. probably not. I suspect under his considerable smoke and mirrors act lies a very big.... chequebook
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #108: Apr 26, 2012 03:19:37 am
      To sum up:

The hegemony enjoyed by the richest teams in europe has become extreme in the past decade.
      The top teams in each league have vastly superior squads to every team in the league barr 1 in spain, 1 in italy and
      2 in the EPL. The standings are the same every year because of this. Some may come an go but the ratio remains.
      A coach at one of these teams is guaranteed success every one to two years. They are in the CL every year so their chances of getting to the semis or beyond is very high. If a coach can go from top team to top team at the right time and that club extends their resources by an increased amount.. then it stands to reason they will enjoy considerable success in terms of honour won.

As for Porto ... Europa cup ok, CL ...utd, Deportivo, Monaco .. hardly mercurial
      Bier
      Reply #109: Apr 26, 2012 03:31:08 am
      Look people don't shoot the messenger. I just want to maybe question your undying loyalty to Mourinho. Maybe I am biased, wrong whatever.. probably not. I suspect under his considerable smoke and mirrors act lies a very big.... chequebook
      Undying loyalty? F**k off. I don't even disagree with many things you say about him, I've already said many similar things about him before in other threads. I just don't think it's as black and white as you make it out to be, and as a result don't agree about those transfers at Inter. Maybe instead of questioning our undying loyalty, you should question your blind hatred for him.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #110: Apr 26, 2012 04:21:56 am
      Undying loyalty? F**k off. I don't even disagree with many things you say about him, I've already said many similar things about him before in other threads. I just don't think it's as black and white as you make it out to be, and as a result don't agree about those transfers at Inter. Maybe instead of questioning our undying loyalty, you should question your blind hatred for him.
      I didn't mean you. I don't hate anyone and particularly people I don't know. I dislike the media driven , spin generation, where success is everything and how you get there is forgotten. No offence really. mourinho just exemplifies this to me. Not the man himself, he uses it, but the whole circus around it. Madrid didn't want a great coach they wanted an image to market, to make money. I know I should just hold my own opinion. I really think the debate into money and trophies is not explored thoroughly enough
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #111: Apr 26, 2012 08:31:15 am
       I hear Mourinho is going to run in the 100 metre sprint at the olympics,he qualified  when he left the field today,talk about Jack Flash.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #112: Apr 26, 2012 10:20:51 am
      I hear Mourinho is going to run in the 100 metre sprint at the olympics,he qualified  when he left the field today,talk about Jack Flash.
      He's like a 'magic elixir' peddler.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #113: Apr 26, 2012 03:00:59 pm
      I really think the debate into money and trophies is not explored thoroughly enough

Actually it is, but with facts and data. There are Economic research that shows how wage bills correlate to success. You just don't know it, and go out making assumptions to "prove" your points. And even when proved wrong (the five "world class players" didn't cost much), you keep banging on the same arguments. Repeating a lie don't turn it into truth.

I think Mourinho is overrated, particularly his success in the Italian league where he had hardly anyone to play against, but to say "the squad win the UCL" at Inter is just dumb, simplistic, childish, plain stupidity.

If money wins everything and managers are irrelevant, I'd think Real Madrid wouldn't have 9 UCL trophies, but 50. It's not the case, especially in knockout competitions, where sample sizes are small and anything can happen in 1 or 2 games.

Then you make his UCL win with Porto sound as if it's nothing special at all. Deportivo and Monaco were both having great competitions and deserved to be where they were. To judge them on their names (or current quality) is, again, just too silly to be taken seriously. One could mock our first 2 European Cups against Monchengladbach and Brugges with that same argument.
      MaxC
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 504 posts | 15 
      Reply #114: Apr 26, 2012 04:41:09 pm
      Mourinho is good really good. How can it be otherwise. He has managed to turn the greatest array of attacking talents in the world money can buy into a counter attacking team. A feat in itself. Hey give me a team like madrid and even i may reach the semis of the cl. But one think is true Mourinho is the greatest manager in history in the art of self promotion. But in football terms his methods are anti-football. Mourinho teaches his players the art of conning the referee and then to put pressure on referees criticizes them so much so that they cannot make calls against his teams. In terms of success he has acheived a great deal but will history remember him as a great manager? I think not. In time he will be judged and for now he is the star that the english press cannot stop praising but i am afraid he will forever be a limited manager in the sense he knows just one set of tactics but his motivational skills is second to none.

Quick Reply