Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Is Mourinho a product of financial doping and favourable climate.

Read 31128 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Is Mourinho a product of financial doping and favourable climate.
      Reply #138: Apr 27, 2012 11:28:30 pm
      So who, currently is a great manager in your eyes then, better than Mourinho?
      Most managers who could achieve everything you have posted above would soon move to bigger, richer clubs. Mourinho did that quickly, that's the only difference. He learned the ropes, did well in his first couple of roles so was given a chance at Porto, where he exceeded all expectations.

I don't need to name a better manager. I am saying Mourinho is not a great manager neither are the others
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #139: Apr 27, 2012 11:31:43 pm
      He's a good manager/coach who understands the value of team ethic and spirit.

I think he's quite a defensive coach who likes to hit on the counter rather than press and dominate via possession.

I also think he surrounds himself with other good coaches who see to the details, and put his vision into practice.

Yes, in some cases he's had a lot of money to spend but overall he's done a very good job where ever he's gone using whatever resources they gave him, and has had a good net spend plus he's bought value for money players.
      He's always gone straight in and done it his own way, and his way has proved to be successful.

His media persona is one that is shrewdly calculated to take attention away from his players, and he doesn't really care how he does it.

He gets the very best out of players for as long as they are loyal to him.

If I was a professional footballer, I'd want a gaffer like him because he'd make my job easier.

Having said that, I also think he's a bit of a pr**k.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #140: Apr 27, 2012 11:47:15 pm

You have completely ignored so many counter points

• Madrid hadn't went past the last 16 on the CL for 5 years pre Mourinho
      • He was not a big spender at Inter, nor did he sign many superstars
      • If money was everything he wound never have won back to back European trophies with Porto
      • If I was weighing up my next managerial move in 2010 it would certainly not have been to take on this Barca side. You keep talking about the fact that Barca won 3 title in a row. So what? Liverpool dominated English football  for 15 years, Utd likewise. Celtic and Rangers won 9 leagues in a row - the three year cycle theory is nonsense
      • La Liga - training matches? Did you watch the Europa League last night?
      and do many more

Plus you completely disregard the pressure that managing clubs like Inter and Madrid carry - where there is expectation to win everything and your every move is scrutinised to the nth degree - hence the reason both Madrid and Inter were the most notorious clubs in Europe for rotating managers - funny how that practice changed upon Mourinho's arrival.

Madrid had spent a lot during the galacticos era CL in 2000 and 2002 under perex asn't it .. spent everything and got results. THen cycle continues
      spending moves to england. Oh look heaps of CL in england. Now perez is back in charge .. huge spending oh low and behold results come back .. none so blind as those that do not see Joe.

That answers the question as why he moved to Real Madrid. He obvously like I do saw they were the  team spending to win the CL and there squad with his five additions were going to win. Barca will not win 4 or 5 leagues. Hes not going to Barca is he so Madrid were the obvious choice

He did not sign many superstars at Inter... Lucio, Sneider, Eto, were superstars as far as I am aware ...Diego is being a little bit sneaky with his analysis. Milito is a Argentine international. Rafa wanted him. With a very good scoring record. 8 goals the year after. Was he on the bench, injured etc. And Motta an international. THe ind of player mouriho loves. He was allowed to get these 5 players in 1 window considering Inter were winning the league any way and had huge squad of older, high earning players. Hardly responsible fiscal business. It was about winning the CL that year. Unprecedented backing. If we got those players in 1 season in 2009 would we have one the league. If this is genius then let me manage with the advantage he enjoys

THe fact that Atletico, Bilbao and Valencia play good football and are evenly matched does not mean they are a match for Madrid and Barca. Look at their squads and average that over a season.

Porto won the Uefa cup... and . Then they won the CL this is the basis for Mourinho outstanding backing after this point. They beat a great Depor team and a great Monaco team... ok. Porto beat a Bayern munich team in 86 that were difficult, what was the managers name again.

Anything else
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #141: Apr 28, 2012 12:42:38 am
      Diego is being a little bit sneaky with his analysis.

No offence, but you're coming across as F***ing obsessed.

Jose's a vain tw*t, as summed up by his comments about never managing us, he still hasn't gotten over getting knocked back by Parry in 2004.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #142: Apr 28, 2012 01:08:41 am
      I am just responding to 3 now 4 different posters. At least you are not trying to offend, whereas they are lacing their comments with insult about my intelligence. Similar to how Jose and SAF talk in interviews, kindred spirits maybe
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #143: Apr 28, 2012 01:10:19 am
      could it be argued that pepe guardarola squze the spellin, is also a product of this threads philosophy
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #144: Apr 28, 2012 01:24:38 am
      I am just responding to 3 now 4 different posters. At least you are not trying to offend, whereas they are lacing their comments with insult about my intelligence. Similar to how Jose and SAF talk in interviews, kindred spirits maybe

Thing I've learnt is not to get too twisted up about comments and not to take them to heart, some of them are jokes you'd make among mates, which is how some of us are on here, same type of stuff we'd say when taking the piss at the match!

Jose isn't even in the same atmosphere as the other f**ker, one F***ing horrible shithouse bully is SAF!
      Bier
      Reply #145: Apr 28, 2012 01:24:47 am
      Calling Diego sneaky on his analysis when he's the sneaky one himself. Motta an international? He only played some games for Brazil's under 23 team before that. He only had 1 good season at Genoa before he joined Inter. And Sneijder wasn't a superstar. He was regarded as a big talent, but failed at Real and hadn't fullfilled his promise at club level yet. Lucio was a question mark because he was ageing, he was 31 and dropped by Bayern. Eto'o was the only renowned wordclass player at his peak. Even Milito was already 30 years old, and hadn't succeeded yet at any top club, and was never a regular starter for Argentina. Inter actually sold for more that season than they bought. That's not unprecedented backing, it's called not being Arsenal.
      Joe88
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 366 posts |
      Reply #146: Apr 28, 2012 01:41:46 am
      Please close this thread - being going round in the same loop for days
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #147: Apr 28, 2012 07:16:35 am
      Please close this thread - being going round in the same loop for days

threads closed, but arguing those five weren't a big deal is at best false
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #148: Apr 28, 2012 10:10:53 am
      I don't need to name a better manager. I am saying Mourinho is not a great manager neither are the others

So Mourinho isn't a great manager because he doesn't fit the criteria that you stated, yet you can't name any managers that do, meaning there are no great managers.
      If there was ever any credibility to your thread, it is surely now lost.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #149: Apr 28, 2012 11:36:17 am
      So Mourinho isn't a great manager because he doesn't fit the criteria that you stated, yet you can't name any managers that do, meaning there are no great managers.
      If there was ever any credibility to your thread, it is surely now lost.

Your using logic but sparingly. The problem with managers is we don't know how much is their work and how much is the work of others. I remember when Valdano called the match between Liverpool and Chelsea a sh*t on a stick. Rafa, who knows Madrid obviously said that when Valdano won at Madrid it was because of other people at the club and he named names. He said Valdano was there when the trophies were being handed out. In the modern game like in business, investment dictates success. You can debate this point if you like. The chelsea model as the galacticos model was a relatively modern phenomenon. Incredible investment and return, sustainable no... it's football. Madird more so but they relaxed the spending and have recently started it up again because of Barca. I mean real spending like 400 million euros. All I am saying about Mou is that in each league England, Italy and now Spain the quality of his squad in relation to the rest of the league is undoubtedly quite oustanding apart from the current Barca first 15, not 22. Most of the recruitment for the completion of these squads took place in 1 transfer window to augment an already powerful squad and increase momentum twofold. I am not aware of this happening anywhere else except maybe Citeh and they are 3 point of the top. Chelsea had been second before Mou in a two team league lets not forget. Now if this is the case in the league. In the CL he won with Porto, you have heard my thoughts on that. As for now, he has won 1 CL in 8 seasons 4 with chelsea including the year he quit and two apiece with Inter and Madrid. Is 1 Cl in 8 years, having been in it every year with the kind of backing I am talking about, incredible. In fact his first CL with Inter was very ordinary and went out with a whimper. He got real backing the next season though.

Look, I honestly believe Mourinho has done what a number of coaches around europe could have done with the same amount of backing. Rafa got to two Cl finals ( same as Mourinho) and a Uefa cup and 2 leagues in spain with far less backing. Is Rafa a great coach in your eyes. No he isn't but Mourinho is!

Joe88
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 366 posts |
      Reply #150: Apr 28, 2012 11:45:51 am
      Your using logic but sparingly. The problem with managers is we don't know how much is their work and how much is the work of others. I remember when Valdano called the match between Liverpool and Chelsea a sh*t on a stick. Rafa, who knows Madrid obviously said that when Valdano won at Madrid it was because of other people at the club and he named names. He said Valdano was there when the trophies were being handed out. In the modern game like in business, investment dictates success. You can debate this point if you like. The chelsea model as the galacticos model was a relatively modern phenomenon. Incredible investment and return, sustainable no... it's football. Madird more so but they relaxed the spending and have recently started it up again because of Barca. I mean real spending like 400 million euros. All I am saying about Mou is that in each league England, Italy and now Spain the quality of his squad in relation to the rest of the league is undoubtedly quite oustanding apart from the current Barca first 15, not 22. Most of the recruitment for the completion of these squads took place in 1 transfer window to augment an already powerful squad and increase momentum twofold. I am not aware of this happening anywhere else except maybe Citeh and they are 3 point of the top. Chelsea had been second before Mou in a two team league lets not forget. Now if this is the case in the league. In the CL he won with Porto, you have heard my thoughts on that. As for now, he has won 1 CL in 8 seasons 4 with chelsea including the year he quit and two apiece with Inter and Madrid. Is 1 Cl in 8 years, having been in it every year with the kind of backing I am talking about, incredible. In fact his first CL with Inter was very ordinary and went out with a whimper. He got real backing the next season though.

Look, I honestly believe Mourinho has done what a number of coaches around europe could have done with the same amount of backing. Rafa got to two Cl finals ( same as Mourinho) and a Uefa cup and 2 leagues in spain with far less backing. Is Rafa a great coach in your eyes. No he isn't but Mourinho is!

Yes he is!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #151: Apr 28, 2012 11:57:16 am
      Rafa got to two Cl finals ( same as Mourinho) and a Uefa cup and 2 leagues in spain with far less backing. Is Rafa a great coach in your eyes. No he isn't but Mourinho is!

Where the F**k had that come from? How can you expect you posts to be taken seriously and for other posters not to take the piss out of you when you make up sh*t like that?
      I am one of Rafa's biggest admirers on here. I would have him back in a heartbeat and think that, with proper backing, he would deliver the goods. The difference between Rafa and Mourinho, IN MY OPINION is that Rafa offers a long term strategy where every facet of the club is moving in a way that he likes, building and educating a squad to play exactly how he wants. Mourinho is a great tactician but is probably better at motivating players, even when he hasn't been at the club long. As others have said, players would run through brick walls for him.
      Both men are great managers and have records to prove it. Jose has had better luck with owners but to dismiss his talents because of that is ridiculous.
      To then tell ME what I think or who I admire is just absolute stupidity and, once again, removes all credibility from your argument.
      Being so absolutely blinkered, perhaps the title of this thread should have started 'Mourinho is...' so we could see that you were forcing your opinion upon us rather than asking a question!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #152: Apr 28, 2012 12:00:11 pm
      Where the f**k had that come from? How can you expect you posts to be taken seriously and for other posters not to take the piss out of you when you make up sh*t like that?
      I am one of Rafa's biggest admirers on here. I would have him back in a heartbeat and think that, with proper backing, he would deliver the goods. The difference between Rafa and Mourinho, IN MY OPINION is that Rafa offers a long term strategy where every facet of the club is moving in a way that he likes, building and educating a squad to play exactly how he wants. Mourinho is a great tactician but is probably better at motivating players, even when he hasn't been at the club long. As others have said, players would run through brick walls for him.
      Both men are great managers and have records to prove it. Jose has had better luck with owners but to dismiss his talents because of that is ridiculous.
      To then tell ME what I think or who I admire is just absolute stupidity and, once again, removes all credibility from your argument.
      Being so absolutely blinkered, perhaps the title of this thread should have started 'Mourinho is...' so we could see that you were forcing your opinion upon us rather than asking a question!

Sorry reprobate I was quoting and therefore talking to joe.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #153: Apr 28, 2012 12:03:12 pm
      Where the f**k had that come from? How can you expect you posts to be taken seriously and for other posters not to take the piss out of you when you make up sh*t like that?

Sorry I was quoting you. I can honestly say I think Mourinho is no more that a product of the Abramovich effect. I do not think he offers anything more that Ancelotti, Grant or other coaches. This is how I feel
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,109 posts | 2764 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #154: Apr 28, 2012 12:05:47 pm
      Like him or loathe hes no product of financial doping or favourable climate

Everywhere hes gone hes geled his teams into a united front. Hes won trophy after trophy.

Favourable climate? Hes up against Barce in Spain a super side and he's dethroned them.

You can spend all the money you want on bringing in superstars but you have to make a team with them. Hes done that to.

Very good manager
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #155: Apr 28, 2012 12:11:10 pm
      Like him or loathe hes no product of financial doping or favourable climate

Everywhere hes gone hes geled his teams into a united front. Hes won trophy after trophy.

Favourable climate? Hes up against Barce in Spain a super side and he's dethroned them.

You can spend all the money you want on bringing in superstars but you have to make a team with them. Hes done that to.

Very good manager

What about the notion that Barca had won 3 in a row in Spain. Madrid have not goe four years without winning the league and Perez is back incharge having spent 400 million to dethrone Barca. Like Pellegrini said, was given 1 year in charge, he has been brought in to beat Barca because we were already beating the rest. In 10 meetings he beat barca twice, once in the league. After Pellegrini he added 5 more players including Qzil, Kediara, Carvalho, Altintop and De Maria in his first season. Is it not possible that maybe his influence is being a little overstated
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #156: Apr 28, 2012 12:14:23 pm
      What about the notion that Barca had won 3 in a row in Spain. Madrid have not goe four years without winning the league and Perez is back incharge having spent 400 million to dethrone Barca. Like Pellegrini said, was given 1 year in charge, he has been brought in to beat Barca because we were already beating the rest. In 10 meetings he beat barca twice, once in the league. After Pellegrini he added 5 more players including Qzil, Kediara, Carvalho, Altintop and De Maria in his first season. Is it not possible that maybe his influence is being a little overstated

Nope.

Cus Barcelona have spent even more during Jose's time at Madrid.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,109 posts | 2764 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #157: Apr 28, 2012 12:29:58 pm

Hes been second to the best club side in 20 years but eventually cracked them.

Imagine trying to run a dressing room with Kka Ronaldo, Casillas, Ramos, Benzema etc with there egos, no easy task

Someone tried to make light of his achievment with Porto, only beat Monaco and only beat utd because of a mistake by howard? Come on now Porto came from nowhere because he gave them the belief.

Chelsea like wise knocking on the door for 4 years without getting in, he arrives and they win the league staright away.

Like I said like or loathe him you have to give him credit
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #158: Apr 28, 2012 12:33:08 pm
      Nope.

Cus Barcelona have spent even more during Jose's time at Madrid.
      Your right of course the team that bought Kaka for 65 and Ronaldo for 89 million were outspent. The second galacticos era, when Perez said he would buy success back to madrid. The reason why Sneider and Robben were deemed surplus because of the extraordinary influx of the only one or two players in the world that were at least more marketable than they were are brought in to Madird. Oh yeah Jose didn't spent that much. How much did he need to spend it was already there.

Joe88
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 366 posts |
      Reply #159: Apr 28, 2012 12:37:26 pm
      Your right of course the team that bought Kaka for 65 and Ronaldo for 89 million were outspent. The second galacticos era, when Perez said he would buy success back to madrid. The reason why Sneider and Robben were deemed surplus because of the extraordinary influx of the only one or two players in the world that were at least more marketable than they were are brought in to Madird. Oh yeah Jose didn't spent that much. How much did he need to spend it was already there.

So he's damned when he vastly over- achieves at Porto, damned when he spends at Chelsea, damned when he ducks and dives at Inter and damned for what was done the year before he got to Madrid - you'd only be happy if he won the CL with Everton with Kenwright as his chairman
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #160: Apr 28, 2012 12:44:39 pm
      Hes been second to the best club side in 20 years but eventually cracked them.

Imagine trying to run a dressing room with Kka Ronaldo, Casillas, Ramos, Benzema etc with there egos, no easy task

Someone tried to make light of his achievment with Porto, only beat Monaco and only beat utd because of a mistake by howard? Come on now Porto came from nowhere because he gave them the belief.

Chelsea like wise knocking on the door for 4 years without getting in, he arrives and they win the league staright away.

Like I said like or loathe him you have to give him credit

Brian I agree with what you say a lot of the time but Chelsea 2005-06

Cech, Cudicini, Del horno, Bridge, Terry, Carvalho, Bridge, Geremi, Glen Johnson, Makele, Maniche, Gallas, Diarra, Ferreira, Lampard, Duff, Joe Cole, Drogba, Crespo, Gdjohnson, Robben... Carlton Cole   not bad

Quick Reply