Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Is Mourinho a product of financial doping and favourable climate.

Read 31195 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Is Mourinho a product of financial doping and favourable climate.
      Reply #46: Apr 24, 2012 10:55:41 pm
      So have Barcelona? In fact Barcelona spent more money than Real Madrid last summer, yet Real Madrid are ahead of them in the league, and are still in the CL.

At Inter he didn't spend that much because they got Eto + 40 million for Ibrahimovic. At Porto he had minimal funds in comparison to other big European clubs. 

He still had a fair amount of money to spend, but he's built fantastic squads with the money.

So madrid like Barcelona have to beat the rest of the teams in La Liga. Barca have an off season because they have won everything including the world cup in the past 3 years madrid stick to their task. Pellegrini did this with the spending not complete nor the squad gelled.

Inters squad was not impoverished and in that season only came up against one squad that compared Barca. We can make what we like of that encounter.

Madrid hav spent 400 million Euros, Chelsea spent double that. INters squad has been listed. Please don't tekk me Mourinho did anything apart from what his employers paid for
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: Apr 24, 2012 11:00:23 pm
      No they didn't get past Utd in mourinho forst season in fact easily beaten. then in 1 transfer window he got Eto, Sneider, Lucio, Motta and Milito. This was Moratti's last attempt to win the CL. If their squad wasn't the best in Europe pu down the squad lists of those that were better and of those who were better, did they play against Inter.

Secondly Deportio beat milan 4-0 and Milan beat them 4-1 hardly a telling statistic.

I say someone is greatif they revolutionised football or won against outstanding odds consisitenly and built a team. Not people who merely buy leagues like a business which is what Mourinhos employer do

If winning the UCL with Porto isn't winning against the odds, I don't know what it is...

As for the signings he made at Inter, let's take a look at it...

Lucio - unwanted at Bayern Munchen by Van Gaal, bought by a relatively low fee (not sure how much anymore)
      Sneijder - unwanted at Real Madrid, a true bargain for just 15M euros.
      Eto'o - part of a deal that sent Ibra to Barça, and also gave a lot of money to Inter.
      Diego Milito - not sure how much money was invested on him, certainly not as much as they made with the Ibrahimovic deal.
      Thiago Motta - around 10M euros, I think. Hardly breaking the bank.

Secondly Deportio beat milan 4-0 and Milan beat them 4-1 hardly a telling statistic.

It's not a statistic, it's a fact... Deportivo beat Milan and Juventus, two of the best sides in Europe back then, to reach the semifinals. You speak of them as if they were some pub team. Give me a break.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #48: Apr 24, 2012 11:02:37 pm
      If their squad wasn't the best in Europe pu down the squad lists of those that were better and of those who were better, did they play against Inter.

Yes, they beat Barcelona in the semifinals. The squad they faced in the final (Bayern Munchen) wasn't any worse than Inter's either.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #49: Apr 24, 2012 11:11:54 pm

So madrid like Barcelona have to beat the rest of the teams in La Liga. Barca have an off season because they have won everything including the world cup in the past 3 years madrid stick to their task. Pellegrini did this with the spending not complete nor the squad gelled.

Inters squad was not impoverished and in that season only came up against one squad that compared Barca. We can make what we like of that encounter.

Madrid hav spent 400 million Euros, Chelsea spent double that. INters squad has been listed. Please don't tekk me Mourinho did anything apart from what his employers paid for

Real Madrid are top of the league because they deserve to be there, they've gotten better results. Not because Barcelona have won everything for 3 years.

Inter played Chelsea in the quarters as well. They played Bayern in the final. Two teams that can be compared to that squad.

Real Madrid spent 400 million, Jose Mourinho didn't. Jose has spent less at Real Madrid in 2 years, than Kenny Dalglish has spent at his second stint at Liverpool.

Jose Mourinho has spent €125 million while Dalglish has spent around £114 million, which is €140 million. Jose has been at Real for over a year long than Dalglish too.

Before I get slammed here, I'm not having a go at Dalglish, just putting things into perspective.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #50: Apr 24, 2012 11:18:38 pm

Real Madrid are top of the league because they deserve to be there, they've gotten better results. Not because Barcelona have won everything for 3 years.

Inter played Chelsea in the quarters as well. They played Bayern in the final. Two teams that can be compared to that squad.

Real Madrid spent 400 million, Jose Mourinho didn't. Jose has spent less at Real Madrid in 2 years, than Kenny Dalglish has spent at his second stint at Liverpool.

Jose Mourinho has spent €125 million while Dalglish has spent around £114 million, which is €140 million. Jose has been at Real for over a year long than Dalglish too.

Before I get slammed here, I'm not having a go at Dalglish, just putting things into perspective.

Mate that's what I meant by the opportunist part. He didn't spend 400 miilion, that is how much madird have spent to get kaka and ronaldo and everyone else. He jumped on board at the very right time.

Inter milan bought Eto, Sneider, Milito, Motta and Lucio in one window. Hardly great scouting is it. Hardly building for the future. It is just like his template for success at Chelsea and Madrid build an ubeatable squad and win. His squads don't have weaknesses because they spend unbelievable money to get them.

Before you say INter didn't spend money ... look at their squad
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #51: Apr 24, 2012 11:19:19 pm
      Yes, they beat Barcelona in the semifinals. The squad they faced in the final (Bayern Munchen) wasn't any worse than Inter's either.

Yes mate the Bayern squad was not as good as inters
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #52: Apr 24, 2012 11:25:11 pm
      Mate that's what I meant by the opportunist part. He didn't spend 400 miilion, that is how much madird have spent to get kaka and ronaldo and everyone else. He jumped on board at the very right time.

Inter milan bought Eto, Sneider, Milito, Motta and Lucio in one window. Hardly great scouting is it. Hardly building for the future. It is just like his template for success at Chelsea and Madrid build an ubeatable squad and win. His squads don't have weaknesses because they spend unbelievable money to get them.

So our squad had kaka and ronaldo did it, and everyone else. The wages Madrid have spent in the year and a half kenny has been here would be our net spend for the next decade if we are lucky. Don't play with the figures
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #53: Apr 24, 2012 11:33:30 pm

You're just going round in circles here. We both have a difference in opinion and the debate is just going round in circles.

Just one last thing. Just because Madrid/Inter signed these great players, how come the former managers couldn't get the same success out of them that Mourinho has gotten out of them?

Same with Rafa, he went to Inter as Jose's replacement and couldn't get anywhere near the same success Jose had.

Jose Mourinho is a remarkable coach, manager and has brilliant motorivation and tactical skills. He will be remembered as one of the greatest managers of all time.

If he wins the CL this season, he'll be on the number of champions league wins as Paisley, three. You can make up any excuse in the book, but the trophies don't lie.

So our squad had kaka and ronaldo did it, and everyone else. The wages Madrid have spent in the year and a half kenny has been here would be our net spend for the next decade if we are lucky. Don't play with the figures

I'm not, I'm just mentioning facts.

Also the fact we don't pay the highest wages shows. We very rarely bring world class players to Anfield. We buy quality players who turn into world class players, which is a good approach but could be one of the  reasons why we've haven't won the league in over 2 decades. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #54: Apr 24, 2012 11:42:15 pm
      Great manager, supreme c**t. His record speaks for itself. No matter how much people try to belittle his achievements you just can't get past his record. Treble in Italy, good chance he may win the treble in Spain this year, his worst season in England he won two cups. No doubt money has played its part, but he has got the trophies in exchange for the investment unlike most managers.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #55: Apr 24, 2012 11:54:48 pm
      You're just going round in circles here. We both have a difference in opinion and the debate is just going round in circles.

Just one last thing. Just because Madrid/Inter signed these great players, how come the former managers couldn't get the same success out of them that Mourinho has gotten out of them?

Same with Rafa, he went to Inter as Jose's replacement and couldn't get anywhere near the same success Jose had.

Jose Mourinho is a remarkable coach, manager and has brilliant motorivation and tactical skills. He will be remembered as one of the greatest managers of all time.

If he wins the CL this season, he'll be on the number of champions league wins as Paisley, three. You can make up any excuse in the book, but the trophies don't lie.

I'm not, I'm just mentioning facts.

Also the fact we don't pay the highest wages shows. We very rarely bring world class players to Anfield. We buy quality players who turn into world class players, which is a good approach but could be one of the  reasons why we've haven't won the league in over 2 decades. 

Rafa was there for 6 months. INter won two trophies were a couple of point fo the lead and into the knockout stages of the CL. He was allowed 1 signing, a youth player Coutinho. This is in a season after Inter had won anything and gone to the world cup finals. So played around a hundred games.

Pellegrini finished second with a record points haul and Ranierie finished second in EPL. Both Madrid and Chelsea had spent millions and were on the ascendency, Importantly Barca have won 3 leagues and 4 in a row would be difficult. Same for two CL in a row.

The point is this

Mourinhos template for success.

Go to a team at the top of the league with an owner having spent millions

Ge there and spend millions (yes Inter too look at their squad)

Leave after 3 years at most because results will drop off and teams will get comfortable with the one dimensional approach

Find another team tat fits the criteria...only citeh left reallly.

My point is this, if I am going to be a great coach how do I follow the mourinho template given that there is a finite number of sugardaddies in Europe
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #56: Apr 24, 2012 11:56:34 pm
      Great manager, supreme c**t. His record speaks for itself. No matter how much people try to belittle his achievements you just can't get past his record. Treble in Italy, good chance he may win the treble in Spain this year, his worst season in England he won two cups. No doubt money has played its part, but he has got the trophies in exchange for the investment unlike most managers.

my point is no one has had his investment. He has been at the right time to reap the rewards of major investment..opportunist. Belittle is a loaded word, I prefer analyse otherwise i am just a sycophant
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #57: Apr 25, 2012 12:02:37 am
      my point is no one has had his investment. He has been at the right time to reap the rewards of major investment..opportunist. Belittle is a loaded word, I prefer analyse otherwise i am just a sycophant

So apart from being a great manager, he is a great judge of what clubs to go to and a superb judge of when to go to them..... I will agree with that :)
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #58: Apr 25, 2012 12:05:03 am
      Rafa was there for 6 months. INter won two trophies were a couple of point fo the lead and into the knockout stages of the CL. He was allowed 1 signing, a youth player Coutinho. This is in a season after Inter had won anything and gone to the world cup finals. So played around a hundred games.

Pellegrini finished second with a record points haul and Ranierie finished second in EPL. Both Madrid and Chelsea had spent millions and were on the ascendency, Importantly Barca have won 3 leagues and 4 in a row would be difficult. Same for two CL in a row.

The point is this

Mourinhos template for success.

Go to a team at the top of the league with an owner having spent millions

Ge there and spend millions (yes Inter too look at their squad)

Leave after 3 years at most because results will drop off and teams will get comfortable with the one dimensional approach

Find another team tat fits the criteria...only citeh left reallly.

My point is this, if I am going to be a great coach how do I follow the mourinho template given that there is a finite number of sugardaddies in Europe

Let's be honest, Rafa never got the same success as Jose. He won the World championship while Jose won the CL and serie A.

Can we agree to disagree? We both have different opinions and I understand your view entirely, I just don't agree.

This is basically what I agree with.

He spent money, but loads of other managers have spent money but were unable to claim success. Jose has consistently won trophies, and win trophies with poorer teams too.

I still don't understand why people think he's that much of a c**t? He is a self confident but most great managers are.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: Apr 25, 2012 12:10:53 am
      Yes mate the Bayern squad was not as good as inters

Funny that the only argument I made that you even comment is just a matter of opinion. Bayern are a top quality team and some of the Inter players you mentioned while stating how good their squad was were just mediocre or didn't even had a part fo play in their success - for instance, Toldo, Chivu, Santon, Cordoba, Muntari, Suazo... Bayern on the other hand had Muller, Ribery, Robben, Gomez, Olic, Schweinsteiger, Van Bommel, Kroos, Lahm, Klose and more.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #60: Apr 25, 2012 12:16:09 am
      I still don't understand why people think he's that much of a c**t? He is a self confident but most great managers are.

This didn't help mate.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #61: Apr 25, 2012 12:19:46 am
      So apart from being a great manager, he is a great judge of what clubs to go to and a superb judge of when to go to them..... I will agree with that :)

my point is that the latter made the former. The clubs he went to were entirely responsible for the results
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #62: Apr 25, 2012 12:21:54 am
      Let's be honest, Rafa never got the same success as Jose. He won the World championship while Jose won the CL and serie A.
      Rafa was there 6 months. Do you think if Abramovich was at Liverpool and Moores was at Chelsea. Rafa would be the special one
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #63: Apr 25, 2012 12:25:58 am

Fair enough mate but he has done plenty of nice things that gets unnoticed.

Such as:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/halsey-hails-mourinho-after-winning-cancer-battle-7631251.html

He donated his Fifa Ballon d'Or coaching award to auction to help raise money for breast cancer and the Bobby Robson charity.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Real-Madrid-boss-Jose-Mourinho-donates-Ballon-D-Or-trophy-to-Sir-Bobby-Robson-charity-auction-article801743.html

Sure, he can be a pr**k on the pitch but I still think he is a nice guy.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #64: Apr 25, 2012 12:28:22 am
      Funny that the only argument I made that you even comment is just a matter of opinion. Bayern are a top quality team and some of the Inter players you mentioned while stating how good their squad was were just mediocre or didn't even had a part fo play in their success - for instance, Toldo, Chivu, Santon, Cordoba, Muntari, Suazo... Bayern on the other hand had Muller, Ribery, Robben, Gomez, Olic, Schweinsteiger, Van Bommel, Kroos, Lahm, Klose and more.

sorry I didn't get back.  Lucio, Motta, Eto, Milito and Sneider were unbeliavable signings, that is beyond debate. Look if he won the treble with Juve I would say great manager. If he won the treble with Inter and they sold a couple of players and got a couple of no marks I would say great manager. If he merely outguns the opposition then I say opportunist
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #65: Apr 25, 2012 12:36:30 am
      Football now has achieved Hegemony amongst the richest clubs. The top clubs in each league have two squads of the best players. The league is decided by these teams and the CL is the real competition. To win the Cl you only play one maybe two fo the other top teams.

Chelsea won because of Abramovich

Man CIty are where they are becasues of Sheik Mansour

Real Madrid are wher they are because they always have been at the top
      If Barcelona have a good seasons, real won't be that far behind. Because the Cl
      has eluded them for a while they spent big. Why did they spend big?

Inter MIlan were where they are becasue of the Calcio scandal and Moratti
      5 leaugues in a row.

If you lot tell me this isn't ore to do with Mourinhos success than him I say quite frankly you are wrong.
      And if all his success is based on is trophies, wel given the teams he manages they will get tose anyway.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #66: Apr 25, 2012 01:00:54 am
      my point is that the latter made the former. The clubs he went to were entirely responsible for the results

And my point is no matter how much money someone throws at a manager it doesn't guarantee success. Mourinho does.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #67: Apr 25, 2012 01:04:28 am
      And my point is no matter how much money someone throws at a manager it doesn't guarantee success. Mourinho does.

So no matter which team Mourinho goes to he will win the league or the CL .. is this what you are saying. Because he has been in charge of teams that have actively sought to buy their objectives I can't see how you discern his managerial skills from this
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #68: Apr 25, 2012 01:19:40 am
      I can finish by saying, If Mancini wins the league it will be because of Mansour not mancinis mercurial talents
      Same for Mourinho at CHelsea.

At Inter they won the Scudetto 5 times in a row because of Moratti and the scandal which sent Juve down and weakened MIlan. Mourinho did nothing there mercurial apart from the CL which was because of the plan Moratti put into action witht the transfers in that last season.

At Madrid. they win the league anyway and they have just spent 400 million to win the CL only Barca can go with them and they can't always do it.

Quick Reply